***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Alpha wrote:Took me a minute to find it but there is a show on YouTube called Tim and Sid. They're based out of either Toronto or Montreal. They do a LOT on the Canadians. They were a couple of clowns who thought Montreal had taken advantage of Yzerman in getting Drouin.

I think we can firmly call them believers.

The segment is on the Lightning start but go to 2:35 and listen to the guy talk about Yzerman. It's pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/til2VWQPf-w

"If Steve Yzerman calls you and you're a GM? Don't pick up...because he's about to fleece your face!"

LMFAO!

Nice find!

That was from Nov. 9. We're not still on pace to score the most points in a season since the 90's, are we?
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:29 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:Took me a minute to find it but there is a show on YouTube called Tim and Sid. They're based out of either Toronto or Montreal. They do a LOT on the Canadians. They were a couple of clowns who thought Montreal had taken advantage of Yzerman in getting Drouin.

I think we can firmly call them believers.

The segment is on the Lightning start but go to 2:35 and listen to the guy talk about Yzerman. It's pretty funny.

https://youtu.be/til2VWQPf-w

"If Steve Yzerman calls you and you're a GM? Don't pick up...because he's about to fleece your face!"

LMFAO!

Nice find!

That was from Nov. 9. We're not still on pace to score the most points in a season since the 90's, are we?

I don't think so but I'm not sure what that number would be. We ARE on pace (I hate that term) to score about 120...and that's pretty amazing.

I would judt love to see them crush Montreal tonight. Hang a 5 or 6 spot on them and just spank them like a small child.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:35 pm

We’re about to spank Drouin
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:26 pm

0-0 at the end of 1.

I was a little worried about rust from the layoff...but they played a strong 1st, for the most part. The Bolts just keep bringing 3 lines of pressure. Wave after wave. It's something to watch. As long as they don't take a period off and keep pushing, they just look too deep for Montreal. They should break through eventually and look stronger as the game progresses. MON should begin tire out at some point.

Stralman being out is some concern but the defense looks fairly good, all things considered. And Vasy is being beast-mode, per usual (even though he got lucky on the bouncing puck off the crossbar AND post).

Well see...
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Yeah that bounce was lucky. And nuts.
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Their goal was just as lucky..
Teitan

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Bolts look like they ate way too much during the break. And they also look disinterested. Just a bleh game so far.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 pm

Power play looks AWFUL
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:58 pm

Why are there so many Montreal fans in attendance?
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:26 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Why are there so many Montreal fans in attendance?

Do you live in Tampa? Most people here are either (1) from somewhere else or (2) here on vacation...especially now. Original 6 teams ALWAYS represent as well.

Finally! Stamkos banks one.

It's pretty clear that MON is playing for a point. The one thing that's surprised me is that although MON hasn't had many quality scoring chances, after the first 10 minutes, they've really held their own 5v5. That's where the Bolts have really dominated teams this year. The PP has been a little snake bit. Stammer hitting the post. Just saw the intermission interview with Stamkos and he even said, the team is getting a little frustrated.

Price is playing really, really well. And that's what it'll take for MON (or any team) to beat TB. The goalie HAS to stand on his head.

I suspect we will own the 3rd...as we have most of the games. I just hate watching teams clog up on defense in order to try and salvage a point against us. I suppose I don't blame them but it rarely works for an entire game.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Alpha wrote:

I suspect we will own the 3rd...

30 seconds in..
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:42 pm

Stammer is filthy.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Tee-hee.

And the Lightning do Lightning things.

Just ***damn filthy. The lot of 'em.

MON has to be completely demoralized at this point.

Would nice to see the Captain get a hat trick...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 pm

It's like the Bolts lull you to sleep then boom, boom, boom. They looked like they were skating in their sleep, then in a span of 5 minutes they turn a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead.
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 pm

pewterpirates wrote:It's like the Bolts lull you to sleep then boom, boom, boom. They looked like they were skating in their sleep, then in a span of 5 minutes they turn a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead.

Just had to warm up a bit!
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:56 pm

pewterpirates wrote:It's like the Bolts lull you to sleep then boom, boom, boom. They looked like they were skating in their sleep, then in a span of 5 minutes they turn a 1-0 deficit into a 3-1 lead.

It just never ends. Wave after wave after wave.

The opponent goalies are under constant siege.

And unlike previous years...this team tends to SHOOT THE PUCK. I think they're over 30 shots so far.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:58 pm

That’s the BIG thing. The last couple years they’d get down there and ps, pass, pass, pass and maybe take A shot, but often lose the puck.

This year? Pass, pass, SHOOTSHOOTSHOOT
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:17 pm

Teitan wrote:That’s the BIG thing. The last couple years they’d get down there and ps, pass, pass, pass and maybe take A shot, but often lose the puck.

This year? Pass, pass, SHOOTSHOOTSHOOT

Their first PP was a perfect example. A lot of one-touch passing but shot, after shot, after shot.

Also...the announcers mentioned that Stamkos took the Christmas break to make a resolution to himself.

He's gonna shoot more.

That can't be good news for anyone. Except us, of course.

The one GLARING weakness on this team is faceoffs. We aren't very good at them. I guess you have to sacrifice something, eh?
Alpha

Postby Commander Bubbles » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 am

Alpha wrote:

Do you live in Tampa? Most people here are either (1) from somewhere else or (2) here on vacation...especially now. Original 6 teams ALWAYS represent as well.

This. Additionally, one of my French Canadian friends explained to me (when I told him how many Montreal fans were at the game last season) that it's very hard to get tickets to see a Canadien game in Montreal. And it's often easier to get tickets to see their favorite team in other cities. Florida is a popular vacation spot. And there you go.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:28 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Alpha wrote:

This. Additionally, one of my French Canadian friends explained to me (when I told him how many Montreal fans were at the game last season) that it's very hard to get tickets to see a Canadien game in Montreal. And it's often easier to get tickets to see their favorite team in other cities. Florida is a popular vacation spot. And there you go.

It's also the regular season.

A lot of hockey "purists" like to **** on hockey here...but we've sold out every home game for over 3 years now.

It helps that we have fairly low ticket prices compared to many other cities.

There is a reason why the Lightning were ranked #1 of ALL NA sports franchises by ESPN. Product, ticket prices, fan experience...all are factors. And come playoff time, we don't allow opponet fans to wear their jerseys in the lower bowl. Tee-hee.

The Black Hawks, MON, PHI, NYR, DET, TOR...all draw well here. **** me...it's 70-something degrees today. It's a ***damn heatwave, if you live up north. IF you lived here, you'd have some idea. Canadian license plates are all over the ****ing place.

There is a reason why former Lightning players don't leave when they retire.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:33 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Alpha wrote: And it's often easier to get tickets to see their favorite team in other cities.

Ask them how easy it is to get tickets come playoff time, HERE.

They shouldn't flatter themselves. It's more AFFORDABLE here, for sure.

Again...we sell out. Sure...mid-season, on a friggin' Thursday...I have no doubt you'll find tickets on the secondary market...but I could go to Montreal (not that I would in December) and buy some tickets as well.
Alpha

Postby Commander Bubbles » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:22 am

Alpha wrote:There is a reason why the Lightning were ranked #1 of ALL NA sports franchises by ESPN. Product, ticket prices, fan experience...all are factors.

Agreed. The Lightning are a special franchise, I can see why they're ranked #1. I've had season tickets with the Bucs and the Magic, and neither came close to the way I've seen the Lightning treat their season ticket holders. They're easily one of the best run franchises I have seen.

And come playoff time, we don't allow opponet fans to wear their jerseys in the lower bowl. Tee-hee.

I have yet to make it to an NHL playoff game. I'm hoping I get the opportunity this season! I can only imagine, Amalie Arena must be electric.
Commander Bubbles

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:20 am

Interesting

Price, 281-187-57 overall, is 12-13-6 against the Lightning.
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:10 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Alpha wrote:

I'm aware of people moving down to the Tampa Bay area and also the vacation factor, but it just seemed like a TON of Canadien fans there last night, moreso than usual. Guess a lot of Montreal people vacationed down to Florida for Christmas this year lol.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:21 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Wharf Rat wrote:

I'm aware of people moving down to the Tampa Bay area and also the vacation factor, but it just seemed like a TON of Canadien fans there last night, moreso than usual. Guess a lot of Montreal people vacationed down to Florida for Christmas this year lol.

We get a **** TON of Great White Norherners here in the winter. You can swing a cat without hitting a car with a Canadian license plate.

God bless 'em...they keep us from having a state income tx so...keep on coming people!!!
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:33 am

Got the Flyers tonight. I bet Budaj gets the start tonight. You'd think he'd have to considering our upcoming stretch.

Our only loss in December was to Vegas with 3 seconds left. December has been unreal so far. Be nice to close it out with 2 more wins over Philly and Columbus.
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:44 am

Budaj, already the weakest aspect of our team, got hurt last night. Cooper says they’ll likely call someone up.
Teitan

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:08 pm

Teitan wrote:Budaj, already the weakest aspect of our team, got hurt last night. Cooper says they’ll likely call someone up.

Yeah he didn’t look good but the whole team looked off a little
Jason Bourne

Postby Commander Bubbles » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:03 pm

Does anyone know anything about this Domingue kid they called up from Syracuse?
Commander Bubbles

Postby Alpha » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:26 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Does anyone know anything about this Domingue kid they called up from Syracuse?

Yeah. Saw him play a few games last year, with AZ.

He sucked but frankly, Budaj has sucked as well. In essence, we're changing one suck for another. The Bolt back-ups just don't play enough to find any rhythm...and that's as it should be. Basically...you expect a loss when the back up plays...unless the Bolts just play lights out on D or put up 6 on offense.

The rest of January is a bitch for this team. Wouldn't be surprised to see them slip a bit. Meh...this is the hockey equivalent of the "dog days" in baseball. The Bolts have essentially made the playoffs. Again...baring injuries to key players, this team is just fine.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports