McGregor v. Merryweather

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
McGregor v. Merryweather

Postby Kress » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:49 am

Who you got?
Kress

Re: McGregor v. Merryweather

Postby Pewterslimsme » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:30 am

Not spending my money on this.
Pewterslimsme

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:Not spending my money on this.

It's like the WWE having a pay per view with only one match.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Teitan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Plus you can watch the two minute replay on YouTube in the morning.
Teitan

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:42 pm

On one side you have a guy who has a flawless record and is arguably the greatest defensive boxer in the history of the sport.

The other side features a dude in his first ever professional boxing match... who won't be allowed to kick or wrestle the way he's accustomed to.

Tough call.
Deja Entendu

Postby NYBF » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 pm

Who the **** is Merryweather?
NYBF

Postby Teitan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:58 am

NYBF wrote:Who the **** is Merryweather?

A private military company and security contractor in Grand Theft Auto.
Teitan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:09 am

MAYweather
Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:33 am

That's a truly random autocorrect.

Anyway, I give it 2 minutes before McGregor throws a knee.
Kress

Postby NYBF » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 am

Merryweather probably has a better shot at winning than McGregor does.
NYBF

Postby Super K » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 pm

Biggest and quickest cash grab since Tyson v Holyfield...
Super K

Postby sanka » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Shows you how depressing boxing has become...A UFC star battling a 40-year-old boxer who runs away from his opponents.

I miss Mike Tyson.....Iron Mike was the greatest boxer of all time when he is on his medication and when he had Cus D'amato, Kevin Rooney, and Teddy Atlas.

Tyson would have destroyed Ali or Joe Louis with a 2nd or 3rd round knockout.

Boxing died when Tyson retired along with the Heavyweight division.
sanka

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:44 pm

sanka wrote:Shows you how depressing boxing has become...A UFC star battling a 40-year-old boxer who runs away from his opponents.

I miss Mike Tyson.....Iron Mike was the greatest boxer of all time when he is on his medication and when he had Cus D'amato, Kevin Rooney, and Teddy Atlas.

Boy look like a bulldog. Joe Louis would whup his ass.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:40 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
sanka wrote:Shows you how depressing boxing has become...A UFC star battling a 40-year-old boxer who runs away from his opponents.

Boy look like a bulldog. Joe Louis would whup his ass.

With the way Louis fought, Tyson -- in his prime --would have dismantled him pretty quickly.

The greatest battle would have been the one everyone talks about: Ali and Tyson. Damn that would have been one for the ages.

Foreman would have been a great one, too.

I love Frazier, and he's my second favorite all time behind Tyson, but I'm not sure leading with his face would have ended well against Iron Mike.
Deja Entendu

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

I always hated Ali and loved Tyson, but, while my money would be on Mike, I don't see him destroying him. Ali could take a damn punch (see: the Frazier and Foreman fights).

The heavyweight division absolutely died with Tyson... though, sadly, it was long before his "retirement."
Deja Entendu

Postby Kress » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:07 am

Deja Entendu wrote:

I always hated Ali and loved Tyson, but, while my money would be on Mike, I don't see him destroying him. Ali could take a damn punch (see: the Frazier and Foreman fights).

The heavyweight division absolutely died with Tyson... though, sadly, it was long before his "retirement."

I love Ali, but I'd totally take Tyson. Ali was more of a runner. Like Merryweather/Mayweather. Tyson would come get you.
Kress

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 am

Fightland is one of the best sources for Boxing or MMA analysis and breakdown. They have a great write up on this very topic of Tyson v Ali.

http://m.fightland.vice.com/blog/a-brut ... hammad-ali
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:12 pm

sanka wrote:Tyson would have destroyed Ali or Joe Louis with a 2nd or 3rd round knockout.

Children.

Tyson would have taken ten overhand rights to the face before he ever got inside against Ali, and by the time he did, Ali would have moved again. It would have looked like a pug hopping around the ring after his owner. Ali ate infighters for breakfast and Tyson would have presented less challenge than most because of his ridiculously short arms (Ali would have had an 8-10 inch reach advantage depending on your source.) So, the most nimble and slippery heavyweight in history, with a 10 inch reach advantage, against a fighter who had to get inside to win. I wish I could take all your money on that bet.

Meanwhile, I remember the entirety of Tyson's career in real time, and you know what I remember from his "dominant" era? Him destroying the worst group of Heavyweight contenders in history. He won his belts against Trevor Berbick, James Smith (?), and Tony Tucker. His most notable fighters were against way-past-their-primes Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. The best fighter he probably fought in his prime was Frank Bruno. Razor Ruddock was a good fighter too, but his style was as poor a match for Tyson's as Tyson's was for Ali.

If Tyson had fought in the 70s, when you had Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Kenny Norton, Ron Lyle, Jimmy Young, Ernie Shavers, and Floyd Patterson, he'd have been a solid contender, but that would have been it. He was lucky to be in the AFC South of heavyweight eras.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm

As for this fight, if someone wants to give me 100-1, I might put $5 on McGregor. Maybe. If McGregor wins this fight, it will be the single biggest upset in boxing history. This fight is a masterpiece competition between Da Vinci and a guy who paints garage doors.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:On one side you have a guy who has a flawless record and is arguably the greatest defensive boxer in the history of the sport.

The other side features a dude in his first ever professional boxing match... who won't be allowed to kick or wrestle the way he's accustomed to.

Tough call.

I really wish we could see an actual crossover fight where both guys have a chance. Modified rules (maybe kickboxing in some form?) and a boxer who isn't the '85 Bears of defensive fighters?

Canelo would have made a much more interesting opponent, with that open, aggressive Mexican style he fights. But he's busy (finally.)
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:40 am

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:On one side you have a guy who has a flawless record and is arguably the greatest defensive boxer in the history of the sport.

Tough call.

I really wish we could see an actual crossover fight where both guys have a chance. Modified rules (maybe kickboxing in some form?) and a boxer who isn't the '85 Bears of defensive fighters?

Canelo would have made a much more interesting opponent, with that open, aggressive Mexican style he fights. But he's busy (finally.)

Canelo v McGregor could have been a blast. Canelo would still kill him but it would a KO under 4 rounds. You know who would be a fun fight? McGregor v Errol Spence. Both going for the KO: Spence with those patented body shots and McGregor head hunting.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:42 am

McGregor has one legitimate shot in this fight: Father Time. Even Mayweather has to lose a step at 40 years old and I think Conor knows that.
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:16 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:Tyson would have destroyed Ali or Joe Louis with a 2nd or 3rd round knockout.

Children.

Tyson would have taken ten overhand rights to the face before he ever got inside against Ali, and by the time he did, Ali would have moved again. It would have looked like a pug hopping around the ring after his owner. Ali ate infighters for breakfast and Tyson would have presented less challenge than most because of his ridiculously short arms (Ali would have had an 8-10 inch reach advantage depending on your source.) So, the most nimble and slippery heavyweight in history, with a 10 inch reach advantage, against a fighter who had to get inside to win. I wish I could take all your money on that bet.

Meanwhile, I remember the entirety of Tyson's career in real time, and you know what I remember from his "dominant" era? Him destroying the worst group of Heavyweight contenders in history. He won his belts against Trevor Berbick, James Smith (?), and Tony Tucker. His most notable fighters were against way-past-their-primes Larry Holmes and Michael Spinks. The best fighter he probably fought in his prime was Frank Bruno. Razor Ruddock was a good fighter too, but his style was as poor a match for Tyson's as Tyson's was for Ali.

If Tyson had fought in the 70s, when you had Ali, Foreman, Frazier, Kenny Norton, Ron Lyle, Jimmy Young, Ernie Shavers, and Floyd Patterson, he'd have been a solid contender, but that would have been it. He was lucky to be in the AFC South of heavyweight eras.

Yep.

People remember George Foreman as this affable, loveable, electric grill salesman who won gold at the Olympics and named all his kids George.

In 1973 George Foremen was one nasty motherfucker. Go watch the fight with Frazier. Foreman beat the everloving **** out of Joe Frazier. They say his hands were so big it was like he was throwing a ham at you. Foreman knocked the **** out of Ken Norton (who beat Ali on points and broke his jaw) in two rounds. Knowing all that about Foreman's power....go watch the Rumble in the Jungle.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Noles1724 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:16 pm

just had a buddy bet me $50 that McGregor will win via knockout... possibly the funniest part of the bet was my buddy replied back with "so you're taking Merryweather right?"
Noles1724

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:18 pm

I read a story yesterday where Merryweather has asked the IRS to wait until after this fight for payment of his back taxes.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Buc2 wrote:I read a story yesterday where Merryweather has asked the IRS to wait until after this fight for payment of his back taxes.

McGregor made fun of that at the press conference.
uscbucsfan

Postby acmillis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:33 pm

What a ****show this is going to be for another 1.5 months.
acmillis

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:08 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I read a story yesterday where Merryweather has asked the IRS to wait until after this fight for payment of his back taxes.

McGregor made fun of that at the press conference.

I didn't see the press conference.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:37 pm

I'm kinda shocked at how far down the odds have come.
NYBF

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:01 pm

NYBF wrote:I'm kinda shocked at how far down the odds have come.

I'm not. A large majority of people hate Mayweather. They are hoping to make money off the chance McGregor knocks him out. From day 1 there were huge bets on McGregor.
uscbucsfan

Next

Return to Other Sports