NBA finals 2017 : Cavs vs Warriors

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Who ya got?

Cavs in 4
7%
Cavs in 5
No votes
Cavs in 6
No votes
Cavs in 7
7%
Warriors in 4
No votes
Warriors in 5
29%
Warriors in 6
57%
Warriors in 7
No votes

Total votes : 14

NBA finals 2017 : Cavs vs Warriors

Postby Crocaneers » Mon May 29, 2017 6:59 pm

What are your thoughts ?
Crocaneers

Re: NBA finals 2017 : Cavs vs Warriors

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon May 29, 2017 7:59 pm

I'll say Warriors in 6, but it just as easily could be Cavs in 6 or 7.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Mon May 29, 2017 9:45 pm

GS came back from down 2-1 two years ago.

Cavs came back from down 3-1 last year.

Both teams are the best version either has been in the past 3 seasons imo.

I think GS just has too much shooting for any team to defend. I don't like picking against Lebron, but he's going to have to be the guy we saw in those final 3 games last finals EVERY game in this series for Cleveland to win this series.

GS in 6.
DreadNaught

Postby sanka » Tue May 30, 2017 12:27 am

Freaking Durant gets his first ring...what a coward.

Warriors in 6...I am tired of people comparing Leflop James to the great Michael Jordan...the icons of icons.
sanka

Postby Crocaneers » Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 am

Lebron can't be swept .. but that's about it as far as wins on the court ..

Golden State is way more talented, and spread out.

GS in 5
Crocaneers

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 am

I said this in the other thread, but I'll add it here. I think the Cavs will win game 1. Warriors have been historically bad after long rest and Cavs have been at their best. I think it could be lop sided, too. I don't think that will be any indication of how the series will go, but the media will go crazy about it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

GS in 6... possibly 5..

Too much firepower with the addition of KD...

Love will disappear like usual leaving LBJ and Kyrie to carry the offensive load..it won't be enough..
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 9:56 am

Super K wrote:GS in 6... possibly 5..

Love will disappear like usual leaving LBJ and Kyrie to carry the offensive load..it won't be enough..

Love played pretty well in coming back from 3-1 last year and when Curry and Thompson disappeared.

I'm not trying to argue in favor of Cleveland, but I just don't understand people saying how lopsided this series is. If you watch both teams play, they are pretty close. Only on paper is it a huge mismatch. Very rarely this season have Durant and Curry played well together. Draymond is super consistent in what he does, but Klay has been awful. People make excuses by saying that his defense is great, but his on ball defense was not good against Kawhai or against Portland. Now he has to take turns on Lebron.

The Cavs not only added Korver and Dwill (Korver hasn't been great...Williams has), but they are playing the best they ever has as a team. Love and Tristan have been quietly great the entire playoffs.

The biggest advantage that GS has is it's bench.

edit: I'm rooting for GS btw. Never liked Lebron, but I do respect his greatness.
uscbucsfan

Postby pewterpirates » Tue May 30, 2017 10:31 am

If anyone thinks the NBA will let the Warriors dominate this series (like they should in a fair fight), you're being delusional. This is LeBron James. This is the NBA. This is all about money and ratings. There's no way this is shorter than a 6-game series.

Anyone remember last year when the Warriors were dominating to go up 3-1? Not only was Green suspended. But anyone remember Curry being in foul trouble the entire game 6? Probably only 2 of those fouls were legit. He fouled out midway through the 4th on one of the most asinine calls I've ever seen.

I hate LeBron. I also strongly dislike the Warriors b/c of how they're assembled and how arrogant they've become. In a fairly officiated series, I'd take GS in 5. But we won't get a fairly officiated series, so IDK how far the NBA will go to help LeBron.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 10:40 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:GS in 6... possibly 5..

Love played pretty well in coming back from 3-1 last year and when Curry and Thompson disappeared.

I'm not trying to argue in favor of Cleveland, but I just don't understand people saying how lopsided this series is. If you watch both teams play, they are pretty close. Only on paper is it a huge mismatch. Very rarely this season have Durant and Curry played well together. Draymond is super consistent in what he does, but Klay has been awful. People make excuses by saying that his defense is great, but his on ball defense was not good against Kawhai or against Portland. Now he has to take turns on Lebron.

The Cavs not only added Korver and Dwill (Korver hasn't been great...Williams has), but they are playing the best they ever has as a team. Love and Tristan have been quietly great the entire playoffs.

edit: I'm rooting for GS btw. Never liked Lebron, but I do respect his greatness.

Like every series this one will come down to match-ups. The most important player for GS will be Andre Iguodala (Iggy) imo, who GS has used to guard Lebron the past two finals. But Iggy has a bad left knee that caused him to miss game 2 vs the Spurs. Iggy is already a liability on the offensive end, so if he's not 100% and able to slow down Lebron it changes the series imo. Nobody else on GS can give Lebron problems on defense like Iggy has been able to. We already know Curry can't stay w/ Kyre either, so if Iggy is a non factor I could see the Cavs winning. Remember that Iggy won Finals MVP the year GS won the title and played great early in last years series before his back injury made him a non-factor the final 3 games when Lebron took over the series.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 am

pewterpirates wrote:If anyone thinks the NBA will let the Warriors dominate this series (like they should in a fair fight), you're being delusional. This is LeBron James. This is the NBA. This is all about money and ratings. There's no way this is shorter than a 6-game series.

Anyone remember last year when the Warriors were dominating to go up 3-1? Not only was Green suspended. But anyone remember Curry being in foul trouble the entire game 6? Probably only 2 of those fouls were legit. He fouled out midway through the 4th on one of the most asinine calls I've ever seen.

I hate LeBron. I also strongly dislike the Warriors b/c of how they're assembled and how arrogant they've become. In a fairly officiated series, I'd take GS in 5. But we won't get a fairly officiated series, so IDK how far the NBA will go to help LeBron.

The team behind in the series usually gets more favorable officiating. I don't like it either.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 10:49 am

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Like every series this one will come down to match-ups. The most important player for GS will be Andre Iguodala (Iggy) imo, who GS has used to guard Lebron the past two finals. But Iggy has a bad left knee that caused him to miss game 2 vs the Spurs. Iggy is already a liability on the offensive end, so if he's not 100% and able to slow down Lebron it changes the series imo. Nobody else on GS can give Lebron problems on defense like Iggy has been able to. We already know Curry can't stay w/ Kyre either, so if Iggy is a non factor I could see the Cavs winning. Remember that Iggy won Finals MVP the year GS won the title and played great early in last years series before his back injury made him a non-factor the final 3 games when Lebron took over the series.

Good Post, and I agree.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Good Post, and I agree.

I just think Iggy is being way overlooked. He's been the most vital player for GS that past 2 finals against the Cavs. If he's a non-factor for GS than they will have problems in this series. If he plays well by making things difficult for Lebron while making the wide open jumpers Cleveland will certainly be letting him shoot than I could see GS close it out in 5.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue May 30, 2017 11:29 am

I think Draymond, Klay & KD can all take turns guarding Lebron.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 12:00 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I think Draymond, Klay & KD can all take turns guarding Lebron.

Agreed, but none of those 3 has shown they are anywhere near as effective vs Lebron as Iggy has been (when healthy). Plus Draymond will have to stay on Love imo. If the Cavs go small and put Lebron at the 4 I could see Draymond checking him some. Lebron has abused Klay (see the last 3 games of last years finals).

If Iggy isn't up to the task, I think KD will get most of the defensive responsibility vs Lebron.

The match-ups are always fun in a series, and when you have so many great players it makes it even more interesting to see the game by game adjustments.

I'd be interested to see how people would rank the individual players in this series 1-10, and see what the teams would look like if say you and I were captains and could have our pick any of the players in this series in a pick-up game type format.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 12:26 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:I think Draymond, Klay & KD can all take turns guarding Lebron.

Agreed, but none of those 3 has shown they are anywhere near as effective vs Lebron as Iggy has been (when healthy). Plus Draymond will have to stay on Love imo. If the Cavs go small and put Lebron at the 4 I could see Draymond checking him some. Lebron has abused Klay (see the last 3 games of last years finals).

If Iggy isn't up to the task, I think KD will get most of the defensive responsibility vs Lebron.

The match-ups are always fun in a series, and when you have so many great players it makes it even more interesting to see the game by game

I'd be interested to see how people would rank the individual players in this series 1-10, and see what the teams would look like if say you and I were captains and could have our pick any of the players in this series in a pick-up game type format.

IMO

Lebron

KD

Curry
Kyrie

Draymond
Love
Tristan Thompson
Klay

Iggy
JR Smith
Dwill
Pachulua
Korver
Livingston

MCgee
West

Frye
Shumpert

Edit:
This is done with a bit of recency bias, but obviously the past is facotred in a little with Iggy and Korver. Last year Klay would be right below Draymond, but he often can't find his shot.

I added spaces to show gaps/tiers in talent.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 12:40 pm

I know others won't agree, but I'll take Kyrie over Curry.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 12:44 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I know others won't agree, but I'll take Kyrie over Curry.

Kyre's defense is one of the worst in the NBA and he doesn't show up for games more than any superstar I can think of.

Curry, when healthy, is one of the most unique and dangerous players in NBA history. He's got the shot and release of the great spot shooters like Allen and Reggie (he's better than both), but unlike them...he can create his own shot as well.

Kyre like against the Celtics, peaks at a ridiculous level. I love his game when he tries. I don't think you are crazy for taking Kyrie over Curry. I just think Curry+ any superstar is better than Kyrie+ any superstar because Kyrie needs the ball to get in rhythm more than Curry.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 1:03 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:I know others won't agree, but I'll take Kyrie over Curry.

Kyre's defense is one of the worst in the NBA and he doesn't show up for games more than any superstar I can think of.

Curry, when healthy, is one of the most unique and dangerous players in NBA history. He's got the shot and release of the great spot shooters like Allen and Reggie (he's better than both), but unlike them...he can create his own shot as well.

Kyre like against the Celtics, peaks at a ridiculous level. I love his game when he tries. I don't think you are crazy for taking Kyrie over Curry. I just think Curry+ any superstar is better than Kyrie+ any superstar because Kyrie needs the ball to get in rhythm more than Curry.

Yeah good points, Curry is definitely the more consistent superstar and the best shooter I've ever seen play basketball. But as great and fun as it is to watch Curry drain shots no other player should attempt, I still like watching Kyrie better when he's at his best. His handle is the best in the NBA and has an Iverson-like ability to finish around the rim at his size. He's a more explosive player than Curry off the dribble imo. I do think you can contain Curry easier with good on-ball defender than you can w/ Kyrie who can shake anyone he wants it seems. But they are both great...

Neither guy can do much on defense, so my take is based solely on offense.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Yeah good points, Curry is definitely the more consistent superstar and the best shooter I've ever seen play basketball. But as great and fun as it is to watch Curry drain shots no other player should attempt, I still like watching Kyrie better when he's at his best. His handle is the best in the NBA and has an Iverson-like ability to finish around the rim at his size. He's a more explosive player than Curry off the dribble imo. I do think you can contain Curry easier with good on-ball defender than you can w/ Kyrie who can shake anyone he wants it seems. But they are both great...

Iverson is a great example. Kyrie at his peak is an efficient version of AI with height.

You are not crazy to take Kyrie over Curry. I think they are close, which is why they are on the same level.

I guess you agree with the rest of my rankings?
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue May 30, 2017 2:15 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I guess you agree with the rest of my rankings?

For the most part, yes.

I'd give Klay a bit more love and put him in a cluster by himself below Curry/Kyrie but higher than the one you have him in based on his scoring ability. I'm not the biggest Klay fan and don't think he can ever be 'the guy' on a contender. But that said he can take over games and was the reason GS was able to beat OKC in the WCF last season. edit** I haven't watched much GS basketball this year prior to the playoffs and Klay certainly seems to be more effected by the addition of KD. He doesn't seem to get the same oppurtunities as he did and your post earlier pointing that out was right on. So maybe your rankings are more indicative of right now, whereas I'm still living off bias from past seasons prior to KD's arrival.

I'd knock Thompson down a cluster. I get he does all the dirty work that a great team needs. Reminds me of Rodman in that way. But he can't score other than alley-oops and put backs from offensive rebounds. Love and Draymond would be in a tier above Thompson for me.

1 - Lebron

2 - KD

3 - Kyrie
4 - Curry

5 - Klay

6 - Draymond
7 - Love

8 - Tristan Thompson

9 - Iggy
10 - JR Smith
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Tue May 30, 2017 8:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Curry's defense is massively underrated. Among PGs, only Westbrook was better this year. And he has been consistently in the top 20 in league wide defensive win shares the past 4 seasons. Irving has never been more than 2 DWS in his career.
Ken Carson

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:21 pm

Surprised there is no Cleveland love at all ...

Game 1 tonight
Crocaneers

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:37 pm

I think Tristan Thompson will be key in the Finals. If the Warriors can't figure out a way to keep him off the offensive glass, the Cavs might have a good shot (especially if the NBA inserts itself to avoid a short series). Thompson is the best offensive rebounder in the NBA and Love is among the rest of the best. Warriors will have to be focused on securing defensive boards.

I'll say Warriors in 6 just b/c the NBA won't let it be a short series.
pewterpirates

Postby Fiasco » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:03 pm

I am pumped. A heat fan, but I look forward to a hopefully close and tight finals. Too many blowouts in this year's playoffs.
Fiasco

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Durant is so smooth for his size. It always blows me away.
uscbucsfan

Postby Fiasco » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:05 pm

So Cavs decided they'd rather give up uncontested dunks rather than a 3 point shot?
Fiasco

Postby NYBF » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:03 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Surprised there is no Cleveland love at all ...

Game 1 tonight

There was, but he's in the hospital after how game 1 turned out.
NYBF

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:19 pm

NYBF wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Surprised there is no Cleveland love at all ...

Game 1 tonight

There was, but he's in the hospital after how game 1 turned out.

Great throwback memory .. . I called tonight's game .. and almost bet GSW by 20 ...

RIP dawgland
Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:34 am

THAT.,..was an ass whoopin

Cue the "Oh no! Does LBJ have anything left in the tank after being to 7 straight finals" media overreaction...

Or, maybe they'll go with "he has NOONE around him"...

Decisions, decisions...
Super K

Next

Return to Other Sports