NHL Expansion Draft

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
NHL Expansion Draft

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:05 pm

This is for the 3 or so Lightning fans on this board.

The shitty part of having a pro franchise that doesn't suck is that we're gonna lose a damn fine player when an expansion draft occurs.

I only have a rudimentary understanding of how this process is going to work...but I believe I have the basics down. I'm not going to get into the details of that here (y'all can research that yourselves) but suffice it to say, the Bolts are gonna lose someone they (most likely) don't want to.

Unless Yzerman pulls a rabbit out of his hat...which he probably will (more later).

This is who I have as eligible to be taken by Vegas...or most likely to be unprotected by us AND potentially taken:

First...whom we protect (assuming they go with the 7/3/1 option...which is what most sources have us doing.)

DEFENSE (3)

Hedman (No move clause - must be protected)
Stralman
Sustr

(I'm unclear if Koekkoek is eligible or not. If he is, he'll be protected).

OFFENSE (7)

Stamkos (No move clause)
Callahan (no move clause)
Drouin
Kucherov
Johnson (again...I'm unclear as to how his FA status impacts his availability. For now, I'm assuming he is protection eligible).
Killorn
Palat

GOAL

Vasy (obviously)

This leaves us with the guy we're most likely to lose:

Namestikov
JT Brown
Paquette
Gudeveskis (our AHL goalie, projected to be our back-up next year)

What I suspect, is that Yzerman will make some magic happen and will trade picks and/or prospects to Vegas in order to entice them to take Garrison (and his contract). That would free up another 4.5 mil in salary cap space, virtually guaranteeing that we re-sign ALL of our vital players.

There is also the theory that Yzerman will talk Callahan into waiving his no trade clause, in the assumption that his contract will make it unlikely that Vegas would take him (it is and they won't). That would allow us to protect one other player (likely Namestikov or Gudeviskis).

This is WHY Stevie Y was a ****ing wizard when he suckered Philly into taking Fillpula at the trade deadline. Fill (and I like the player) also had a no trade clause and we would've been forced to protect him (and his terrible salary). If he doesn't make that deal, we're looking at losing a top 6 offensive player. As it stands, we're looking at losing a 3rd or 4th liner.

If any of you have some insight into something I'm missing, please respond.
Alpha

Re: NHL Expansion Draft

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:09 pm

I appreciate the post. Makes sense to me. I don't follow the NHL like the NFL, but I trust StevieY. He's like Ozzie Newsome for the Ravens, only with less misses it seems. But you trust his judgements either way because of the track record.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:56 pm

Honestly, I'm okay if we lose Brown and/or Paq... provided we ensure the protection of Killorn and Gudeveskis.

IMHO, we have a potent offense, but as you well know, ++Defensemen are a hot commodity, and anything we can do to ensure Vasi's continued growth between the pipes should be considered a top priority.

In Y we trust.
Rocker

Postby NYBF » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:42 pm

The NHL is expanding?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
NYBF

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Great homework Alpha. It's gonna be interesting who they snag...I hope Sustr...he seems like he's always flipping the puck over for dog or causing turnovers.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:31 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Great homework Alpha. It's gonna be interesting who they snag...I hope Sustr...he seems like he's always flipping the puck over for dog or causing turnovers.

Sustr has been in a bit of a funk...yet Coop keeps him in the lineup.

He knows a helluva lot more hockey than I do so I'll assume he knows what he's doing.

Garrison is the bigger problem. Not only is he older...his skills are vastly diminished. He's mostly a "veteran presence".

AND his contract is absurd. We need that money. Badly.
Alpha

Return to Other Sports