OFFICIAL 2017 TBay Rays Major League Baseball Season Thread!

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: OFFICIAL 2017 TBay Rays Major League Baseball Season Thr

Postby Alpha » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 pm

NavyBuc wrote:So I haven't followed the Rays too much this year, but what was the reason why they got rid of Beckham? I noticed they hardly got anything back in return and the Rays offense has sucked since he's left and I have a couple friends in Baltimore and they love him there. He's doing well hitting almost .500 with them. And from the looks of it he wasn't doing bad here either. So what was the reason behind it? A bit confused.

I'm assuming you don't live in the Tampa Bay area?

It basically shakes out like this:

1) Every fan in Tampa was SCREAMING for us to ditch his ass ASAP. Don't get it twisted...he was having a decent year at the plate. He was a bitchy mal-content that made bone-headed plays in the field on the regular. He's a 27 year old bust of a draft pick who's having a career year.

2) We traded for Hecchevaria (because Beckham sucked at SS), thus turning Beckham back into a platoon player. He then bitched about THAT. So at the deadline he was traded for a prospect.

3) He may be hot right now for Baltimore but he had seriously cooled offensively before he was traded. He is what he is. Best of luck to him but nobody in Tampa is gonna miss him.
Alpha

Postby Swashy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 am

On top of everything else Alpha said, we've been waiting so long for "Not-Posey" to get his act together, the fact we were able to get anything at all for him seems like a miracle on its own. I'm not gonna be upset at all about what he does next year. Not that you would either, Navy but I'm not the kind of guy who would say "Oh if only we had been more patient and gave him 10 years instead of 9!! Then he would've been a great shortstop"

Forget it. The Rays needed to move on from him as far back as when he failed that drug test.

It's embarrassing how many good players we passed up in the 2008 draft so we could pick him instead
Swashy

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:58 pm

I guess we forgot there was a team ...

Anyway ... next weeks Yankees game is at Citi Field

http://m.rays.mlb.com/news/article/2531 ... iti-field/
Crocaneers

Postby NYBF » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Attendance for Yanks/Rays at Citi Field: 15,327. First time in their last 10 home games that the Rays have drawn 15,000.
NYBF

Postby Hit55 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 pm

I'll be going to catch the Sox - Rays game tomorrow (today?). Chris Sale is pitching. I am going to root so hard against the Sox...while wearing my Yankee hat.

I'll also be catching the O's - Rays on the 29th. Those $7.11 tickets are hard to pass up.

(Side note: though I am a Yankees fan, since moving to Tampa, I have gone to a few Rays games and have sort of adopted them as my go-to team to watch on TV. I love watching Kiermaier and Hechavarria. And of course, Longo has always been a good guy to root for. During Irma, while I was in NOLA, I actually told the girlfriend "I miss watching the Rays").

Pirates as well...but there's a story for why I will always have a soft spot for them. And that's for another day.
Hit55

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:03 am

Turns out, I was right a few months ago about the Rays.

Thing is...I still can't figure out why.

Their pitching staff is solid. Their bullpen (especially after the deadline), is solid. Their offense is solid. Their defense is solid.

On "paper", they should be better than this...and yet, they're not.

It was weird, that after 3 months, you could figure out what this team was gonna be.

Meh...are the Bolts playing yet?
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:31 am

Alpha wrote:

Meh...are the Bolts playing yet?

Coming this fall.
Rocker

Postby Hit55 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:32 am

Tough loss. However, Kiermaier is a beast. Love watching him play.
Hit55

Postby Alpha » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 am

It sucks being right this often...
Alpha

Postby Swashy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:27 pm

I'm starting to wonder if Cash gets fired.
Swashy

Postby Teitan » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Foley and Hickey leaving the Rays. I might be done with them too.
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Hickey is leaving too? **** me running the whole thing is gonna implode now.
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:32 pm

Sigh...
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:51 pm

This is gonna be freaking horrible. Hickey's miracle work with our pitchers was why we were able to stay competitive for so long. We have great prospects in the farm and we might as well have a clean slate for them. At this point I'm indifferent to firing Cash. I don't feel like he deserves it but with losing Foley and Hickey we might as well.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:59 pm

I guess it's not too early to speculate if any progress at all is going to be made on the stadium talks. I was hoping that by New Years 2018 there would be a site chosen. If it's indeed going to be Ybor then the Rays need to hurry the **** up and make it official so we can start voting on how to get this thing done. I figure that's going to take a good year of bitching and politics and if that's the case then the best we can hope for is shovels in the ground by 2020.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:05 pm

Kyle Snyder will replace Hickey. Charlie Montoyo will be bench coach
Swashy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Anybody want to speculate how far Joe Maddon would have taken this team?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Swashy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:59 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Anybody want to speculate how far Joe Maddon would have taken this team?

Probably an ALDS series loss in 5 games
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:18 pm

h County Commissioner Ken Hagan]

TAMPA — At last, Hillsborough County leaders have decided where they want to put a Tampa ballpark, entering them officially in the sweepstakes to be the next home of the Tampa Bay Rays

More importantly, County Commissioner Ken Hagan said Tuesday that the community has reached an agreement with land owners to gain site control of about 14 acres there.

"We initially presented sites to (the Rays) and after discussing the benefits and challenges of each it became clear that the Ybor site became both the team's and our preferred site," Hagan told the Times on Tuesday.

The Rays must now weigh Hillsborough's entry against other options in Pinellas County. St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman wants to build a new ballpark on a redeveloped Tropicana Field site, though other options may be in play.

TAMPA BAY TIMES COVERAGE: QUEST FOR A RAYS STADIUM IN TAMPA
Stu Sternberg: Top choices for Rays new stadium are unavailable (March 23, 2017)

Sternberg: Rays ready to make 'quick' decision once they get stadium options (July 31, 2017)

Tampa officials focusing on Channel District-Ybor for potential Rays ballpark (Aug. 21, 2017)

In a statement, the Rays were noticeably noncommittal, though Major League Baseball teams are reticent to make news during the World Series. There's also a hotly contested St. Petersburg mayoral race, and a bold announcement now could sway it.

"This is another important step in the site selection process, and we are grateful for the time and attention that went into making it a possibility," Tampa Bay Rays President Brian Auld said in the statement. "We look forward to getting to work evaluating this option, along with those in Pinellas County including the Tropicana Field site, as a potential future home for Rays Baseball in Tampa Bay for generations to come."

Getting to this point took nearly two years despite more than a decade of overtures from Hillsborough and Tampa leaders on how badly they wanted the Rays to move across the bay. And there are still many difficult and contentious decisions ahead, not the least of which is how to pay for a stadium and how the cost will be split between taxpayers and the team.

The agreement gives the county nine months to negotiate with the Rays, with the option for a six-month extension.

Though surprised by Hagan's announcement, Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn nevertheless said he thinks the location "makes sense in terms of connecting the dots between downtown and Ybor City."

But, he added: "I look forward to hearing how the county plans to pay for this."

For months, local officials have focused on the area between downtown Tampa and Ybor City because it checks several boxes for the Rays: local authenticity (it's near the home of Al Lopez, Tampa's first professional baseball Hall of Famer, and the historic Ybor neighborhood); connection to transportation (the TECO street car, the Selmon Expressway and Interstate 275 ); and it is ripe for development (near the planned Water Street Tampa project and new construction in Ybor).

You would be excused, though, for thinking a ballpark is hard to envision on that site today.

Warehouses and a strip club currently occupy that space. It is flanked to the west by an aging low-income housing complex called Tampa Park Apartments and the Selmon Expressway stands between the proposed site and views of the water. The nearby Ybor Channel is dotted with ship repair businesses. Developments in downtown and Ybor have not yet stretched to that area and one of its closest neighbors is an Ikea.

Earlier this year, Rays owners Stuart Sternberg acknowledged that several of the team's favorite locations in Hillsborough County came off the market while the Rays were locked into their lease at Tropicana Field.

But once the search started, the Channel District-Ybor site emerged as the top contender.

"The Rays have been in lockstep with us every step of the way," said Hagan, though this summer he expressed frustration at times with the Rays' involvement in Hillsborough's efforts.

Ideally, Hagan said the stadium will spark new construction and businesses. And the county could build a marina in the Ybor Channel for water travel to the park. The county commission earlier this year set aside $22 million in BP oil spill settlement money for a prospective marina, though, a ballpark was never discussed when that decision was made.

Major League Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred recently toured the site as well and gave his approval, Hagan said.

"The possibilities are endless at that location," he said.

Gaining site control took months because of all the landowners there. But BluePearl Veterinary Services CEO Darryl Shaw, who with his partners has spent more than $63 million acquiring property in Ybor City over the last five years, was able to get them on board. A phone call to Shaw was not returned Tuesday night.

BIG DEALS: Darryl Shaw is quiet, humble -- and $63 million later, Ybor's big new player (April 21, 2017)

Tampa Electric Co. also owns property there and is not part of this agreement, but the company is cooperating with the county, Hagan said.

Shaw has entered into an option agreement with a nonprofit led by Tampa lawyer Ronald Christaldi and businessman Charles Sykes. The organization will control the site and can transfer it to the county, Rays or another entity, should the team agree to move to Tampa.

Putting the land in ownership of a nonprofit will spare taxpayer expense while the community makes a final decision, Hagan said. But it also shields the agreement from public records laws.

In a 2016 pact, the city of St. Petersburg allowed the Rays three years to look around the Tampa Bay area for a new home. That deal expires in January 2019.

Kriseman spokesman Ben Kirby said late Tuesday he had yet to speak directly with the mayor, but the city remains confident in its pitch.

ST. PETE WANTS RAYS TO STAY: Mayor Rick Kriseman makes his pitch for Tampa Bay Rays to stay put in St. Petersburg (w/video) (April 5, 2017)

"We know Hillsborough still has a long way to go. Mayor Kriseman remains confident in St. Petersburg. Even if the Rays do move, with our ability to redevelop the Trop site, it's a win for St. Pete, anyway," Kirby wrote in a tex
Phantom Phenom

Postby Swashy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:38 pm

Well ****. At least that they have a site picked out. But plan on how to pay for it is greatly disturbing me. Now I'm just wondering how much longer they're gonna stretch this debacle out and play nickel and dime with the Bay Area like they do the team. I'm sure that's gonna go over REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYYY well.
Swashy

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:49 pm

Perfect location for a new ballpark. Makes me wish I didn't sell my condo down there.

Right between Ybor (7th Avenue) and Channelside (which is being completely renovated by Vinik).

I love it. Just wish it was 10-15 years ago.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:43 pm

Where is this in relation to the traffic circle at the end of Channelside drive?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:53 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Where is this in relation to the traffic circle at the end of Channelside drive?

Opposite end (to the North).

This proposed area is closer to Ybor (which is 7th Ave). The area for the ballpark would be between 4th Ave (Northern boundary) and Adamo (Southern boundary), basically just north of the Selmon Xway and Ybor Channel (which is currently a shitty and undeveloped area).

The great things about the location is that it would develop arguably the most under developed part of that area in addition to tying the Channelside and Ybor areas together beautifully. In addition you have the Selmon Xway, I-4, and I-275 all a stones throw away, so in addition to being in a central, densely populated area the ballpark would have major highways nearby allowing commuters from Wesley Chapel/New Tampa to the north as well as Brandon to the east.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:41 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Where is this in relation to the traffic circle at the end of Channelside drive?

This proposed area is closer to Ybor (which is 7th Ave). The area for the ballpark would be between 4th Ave (Northern boundary) and Adamo (Southern boundary), basically just north of the Selmon Xway and Ybor Channel (which is currently a shitty and undeveloped area).

The great things about the location is that it would develop arguably the most under developed part of that area in addition to tying the Channelside and Ybor areas together beautifully. In addition you have the Selmon Xway, I-4, and I-275 all a stones throw away, so in addition to being in a central, densely populated area the ballpark would have major highways nearby allowing commuters from Wesley Chapel/New Tampa to the north as well as Brandon to the east.

I'm assuming the west boundary would be 15th street.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

15th street is the eastern boundary, Channelside Dr to the west.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:08 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:

15th street is the eastern boundary, Channelside Dr to the west.

Derp. that's what I meant.

Thanks.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 am

I’m for it. I’m right off of 60 on the southern edge of Brandon. Half an hour drive vs 2.5? Yes please. I’d seriously consider season tickets.
Rocker

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:04 am

Rocker wrote:I’m for it. I’m right off of 60 on the southern edge of Brandon. Half an hour drive vs 2.5? Yes please. I’d seriously consider season tickets.

There’s no way youre 2.5 hours from St. Pete. Not in Brandon.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Rocker wrote:I’m for it. I’m right off of 60 on the southern edge of Brandon. Half an hour drive vs 2.5? Yes please. I’d seriously consider season tickets.

Maybe in rush hour, but I agree.

Overall the new location cuts the commute from areas like New Port Richey/Spring Hill, Lakeland, all the way to Apollo Beach WAYYY down to something far less than driving out to The Trop. While the folks in Sarasota only have about another 15 minutes added to their trip up 75 instead crossing the Skyway.

Unfortunately the few hundred fans in the South St. Pete area will have to cross the bridge now.

Plus 81 home games will great for the Ybor and Channelside areas. Add those to the 41 home games for the Lightning and there is a major sporting event roughly 1/3 of the year.

Most major pro sports towns have their stadiums close together and it works well for them, so its about time Tampa followed suit.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Last two games I went to were 7:10 starts. Left the house at 4:45 with my oldest, hoping to catch some BP and maybe get him an autograph or two. We made it to our seats shortly after first pitch.

So, kindly **** off with the know it all nonsense.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports