OFFICIAL 2017 TBay Rays Major League Baseball Season Thread!

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: OFFICIAL 2017 TBay Rays Major League Baseball Season Thr

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:09 am

Alpha wrote:
Teitan wrote:Offense is a juggernaut today.

Yeah. Against a team that is setting an ALL-TIME RECORD for giving up runs (in consecutive games) by starting pitchers.

I'd be happy with a series win. We are in contention. Be there at the All-Star break. Get our new catcher and Boxberger back. Maybe trade for a set-up guy (O'Day from BAL would be nice).

I'm starting to think this team's offense is for real. They've done it for nearly half a season...can't be a fluke any longer...can it?

Ramos coming of the DL today!
Ken Carson

Postby Teitan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 am

Yep, and Norris is done from what I read. We designated him but I guess being a vet, he can opt out.

Ramos will be exciting. Guy can hit.
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Can we get rid of this fat **** Jumbo diaz
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:21 am

Strange seeing a Rays team that has a good offense.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:48 am

Our bullpin sucks. Which is a shame because despite having his "worst" game, Faria still gave us a QS, and a decent shot to win.
Nano

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:46 pm

If Corey Dickerson and Logan Morrison don't make the All-Star Game, that'd be a huge disappointment. I believe Dickerson will make it — he's simply been too good to be left off. But I don't know if Morrison will, even though I think he deserves it. He's been one of the best 1st basemen in the AL from start to finish. Souza has put up some nice numbers but not enough considering the competition in the OF.

So I think Dickerson might be our only All-Star representative. Hopefully Morrison, too.
pewterpirates

Postby Teitan » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:23 pm

Cobb pitched a gem. Should have got a shot at the complete game, but Cash is a *****. Luckily, thenoffense carried us to the win at the end.
Teitan

Postby Nano » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Blake Snell back in rotation, Ramirez goes to bullpen. Looking just he did before his injury, Snell gives up 6 runs, doesn't make it past 5 innings, and generally looks terrible.

Does Cash close his eyes during Snell games, or is he just ****ing stupid...because Snell has shown he shouldn't be in the rotation over anybody this year. Send him to the bullpen
Nano

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 am

Good article on the building direction and comparison to the Astros

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1975 ... 93955659=1
Crocaneers

Postby Wharf Rat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:19 pm

Anybody been to the Trop for a game? I grew up in Maryland and spent a lot of time watching Orioles games at Memorial Stadium. There was something awesome about going to the ball park and sitting outside. I was wondering how the Trop compares. I've lived down here for more than 20 years and have yet to make it to a game. I'd like to take my family, but am hesitant being that I've never watched baseball indoors. Is it the same experience as watching it outside?
Wharf Rat

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:Anybody been to the Trop for a game? I grew up in Maryland and spent a lot of time watching Orioles games at Memorial Stadium. There was something awesome about going to the ball park and sitting outside. I was wondering how the Trop compares. I've lived down here for more than 20 years and have yet to make it to a game. I'd like to take my family, but am hesitant being that I've never watched baseball indoors. Is it the same experience as watching it outside?

Not at all. It's terrible. The building is falling apart. The entire baseball experience is lost.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:43 pm

I've been to Tropicana once. Apparently I cried and complained the entire time because of how boring it was. Then I threw cheetos at everyone.

Took me like 12 years to watch again. Kind of want to go back to watch a game. Think I'd appreciate it more now than my 6/7 yr old self lol
Nano

Postby Wharf Rat » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 pm

Nano wrote:I've been to Tropicana once. Apparently I cried and complained the entire time because of how boring it was. Then I threw cheetos at everyone.

Took me like 12 years to watch again. Kind of want to go back to watch a game. Think I'd appreciate it more now than my 6/7 yr old self lol

Lol, that's hilarious! I went to my first game when I was that age (Astros vs Cubs at Wrigley), I can remember being so bored and had no idea what was going on.

Bootz2004 wrote:Not at all. It's terrible. The building is falling apart. The entire baseball experience is lost.

That's what I'm worried about. After growing up watching games at Wrigley, Fenway, Memorial Stadium and Camden Yards, I'd probably just be better off watching it at home.
Wharf Rat

Postby Alpha » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:58 am

Here's the deal with the Trop...and I remember when they built the sumbitch:

In the early-mid 80's the San Fran Giants were up for sale. As memory serves, we built that stadium EXPLICITLY to entice the team to move. It's been a long time but as I remember (and McFan may remember better as he's older than Methuselah), we came damn close to getting them. AT THE TIME, it was a pretty nice stadium.

Obviously...didn't happen.

Had the Bolts for a while, monster truck garbage, concerts, arena football...pretty much anything they could book. Then we got the Devil Rays. Finally.

They came to St. Pete BECAUSE we had the stadium built.

Fast-forward.

If you don't live here, you won't understand...but a BASEBALL stadium will NEVER be built here, if it isn't domed...or retractable. It rains here nearly EVERY afternoon, during the summer months. So NO...it isn't the same as seeing an OUTDOOR baseball game...but that isn't even an option down here. If you're that much of a purist, than go **** yourself. We don't want you anyway. STAY UP NORTH. And I've seen games at Fenway (shit-hole). Old Yankees Stadium (shit-hole). Flushing Meadows (shit-hole) and (PARTIALLY OBSTRUCTED VIEW) Wrigley (shit-hole). Just because it's old, doesn't make it a nice place to see a ballgame.

I DID live in Atlanta for many years. Old Fulton County Stadium was a dumpster fire as well. After the Olympics, when they converted the Olympic stadium into Turner Field, it was a nice place to see a game. Again...it was outdoors because it doesn't rain nearly as much in the summer, as it does here.

And don't get all full of yourself...I went to an Orioles game with my pop, at old Memorial Stadium back in the day. That place was a bigger shit-hole than the Trop will EVER be...and so was Baltimore for that matter.

A new stadium is gonna be built here soon. The announcement is "immanent". Probably gonna be near Channelside in Tampa. It will be domed/retractable.

That doesn't change the fact that our owner (unlike Vinik, for the Lightning...or even Glazer, who lives in Tampa), is a carpet-bagging, northerner, who doesn't give 2 shits about Tampa Bay...other than what he can make of his "investment".

It's pretty window-dressing on a franchise with a slum-lord owner.
Alpha

Postby Wharf Rat » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:08 am

Alpha wrote:If you don't live here, you won't understand...but a BASEBALL stadium will NEVER be built here, if it isn't domed...or retractable. It rains here nearly EVERY afternoon, during the summer months.

I have lived down here for the last 23 years, I do understand why an outdoor stadium isn't an option. I was just curious how it compared, and if it's even worth it, being that I want to take my wife and daughter. I never know what they'll like until we go (they were bored at a Magic game, but loved seeing the Bolts play).

If you're that much of a purist, than go **** yourself.

If I could, I'd probably never leave the house.

And I've seen games at Fenway (shit-hole). Old Yankees Stadium (shit-hole). Flushing Meadows (shit-hole) and (PARTIALLY OBSTRUCTED VIEW) Wrigley (shit-hole). Just because it's old, doesn't make it a nice place to see a ballgame.

I remember Fenway being small, but I don't know that I'd characterize it as a shithole. To each his own I guess. It is entirely possible that I'm not remembering it well, being that it was so long ago. There was just something cool about sitting outside, having a view of the city, and watching baseball.

And don't get all full of yourself...I went to an Orioles game with my pop, at old Memorial Stadium back in the day. That place was a bigger shit-hole than the Trop will EVER be...and so was Baltimore for that matter.

That place smelled like baseball to me. A lot of great memories there. To clarify, though, I never compared any of those baseball parks to the Trop. I've never been to the Trop. I was more hoping to get opinions, and for someone to maybe talk me into driving to St. Pete for a game.

Edit: Baltimore, like any big city, has bad areas. The area around Memorial Stadium certainly wasn't a great area. But there are some places worth visiting. The inner harbor, as an example, is a lot of fun. Or at least it was when I lived up there.
Wharf Rat

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:03 am

Wharf Rat wrote:Anybody been to the Trop for a game? I grew up in Maryland and spent a lot of time watching Orioles games at Memorial Stadium. There was something awesome about going to the ball park and sitting outside. I was wondering how the Trop compares. I've lived down here for more than 20 years and have yet to make it to a game. I'd like to take my family, but am hesitant being that I've never watched baseball indoors. Is it the same experience as watching it outside?

People are too dramatic about the trop. Is it amazing? No. It's old. The seating/field area is fine though. I've been to tons of games. Sat behind dugout, behind third, and all over the outfield. Only reason I haven't gone this year is because I have a 2 month old.

You aren't going to get that outdoor game experience, obviously. But I'd prefer to watch in a 72 degree dome.

If you sit in right field you won't be able to see the big screen/scoreboard as it will be behind you.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:57 am

Teitan wrote:

People are too dramatic about the trop. Is it amazing? No. It's old. The seating/field area is fine though. I've been to tons of games. Sat behind dugout, behind third, and all over the outfield. Only reason I haven't gone this year is because I have a 2 month old.

You aren't going to get that outdoor game experience, obviously. But I'd prefer to watch in a 72 degree dome.

If you sit in right field you won't be able to see the big screen/scoreboard as it will be behind you.

This.

IMO...I'd rather watch a baseball game outdoors. The smell of the fresh-cut grass...all that ****. However, HERE, I'd rather watch it in 72 degree, air conditioned comfort. Not 92 and getting rained on. But that's just me.

Wharf...it just sounds like you're making excuses not to go.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:33 am

So Cash broke his foot yesterday. Apparently he tripped on some railroad tracks outside Camden Yards and suffered a sprain and fracture
Nano

Postby Teitan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:48 am

Nano wrote:So Cash broke his foot yesterday. Apparently he tripped on some railroad tracks outside Camden Yards and suffered a sprain and fracture

He was jogging, apparently. Trying to fit into an actual baseball jersey maybe.
Teitan

Postby Rocker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Jesus, Colomé did his best to give today away.
Rocker

Postby DominatingD55 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm

The relief pitching on this team is depressing.
DominatingD55

Postby Teitan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Yep. I keep saying we need to make a move for middle inning relief.
Teitan

Postby Konatown » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Going to the game tomorrow with my FIL (he's a Red Sox fan) and its been a minute since my last trip to the trop. Anyone know how early you can park at the trop for a 7pm game? We're wanting to hit up a few breweries/dinner before hand and would like to park early and walk around. The website has no info and neither did calling the trop, just routes to damn automated nonsense. I would assume 4 hours would be ok?
Konatown

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Konatown wrote:Going to the game tomorrow with my FIL (he's a Red Sox fan) and its been a minute since my last trip to the trop. Anyone know how early you can park at the trop for a 7pm game? We're wanting to hit up a few breweries/dinner before hand and would like to park early and walk around. The website has no info and neither did calling the trop, just routes to damn automated nonsense. I would assume 4 hours would be ok?

I did some clicking around. From what I've been able to ascertain, it appears the lots are open from 2 hours prior to 2 hours after the event. So for a 7:10 pm game, the lots open at 5:10 pm.

https://www.parkingpanda.com/tropicana- ... gK8uvD_BwE
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Teitan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:19 pm

There will be other parking around the stadium open earlier. You can usually park at Fergs too, that's our usual pre-game spot.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:22 am

Buc2 wrote:
Konatown wrote:Going to the game tomorrow with my FIL (he's a Red Sox fan) and its been a minute since my last trip to the trop. Anyone know how early you can park at the trop for a 7pm game? We're wanting to hit up a few breweries/dinner before hand and would like to park early and walk around. The website has no info and neither did calling the trop, just routes to damn automated nonsense. I would assume 4 hours would be ok?

I did some clicking around. From what I've been able to ascertain, it appears the lots are open from 2 hours prior to 2 hours after the event. So for a 7:10 pm game, the lots open at 5:10 pm.

https://www.parkingpanda.com/tropicana- ... gK8uvD_BwE

I live near the stadium. Screw that website. This is what's up.

A game on a WEEKDAY:

They usually start around 7-7:30. If you wait 2 hours before game-time...you're screwed. That puts you at 5pm. Rush hour. If you're coming from Tampa...just forget about it. The stadium isn't any easier or more difficult to get to than any other I've been to. It gets congested...just like the rest. We've all been hosed coming out of Ray-Jay...do that during the week, at rush hour. Oh the humanity!

4 hours early is perfect. As mentioned, there are places to park and the walk isn't bad at all. It just won't be in the stadium parking lot. Hell...I'd get there around lunch and take the Trolley downtown to Beach Drive. Lots of good food joints and places to wet your whistle. Downtown St. Pete is a pretty neat place.

WHATEVER YOU DO...Take the Gandy Bridge NOT the Howard-Franklin. Get off the Gandy and turn left on 4th Street. Take 4th as far down as you like. Save yourself the frustration. The stadium is at the intersection of 16th and Central Ave. Once your on 4th, you have several opportunities to cut over to 16th, if you desire...or take 4th to downtown. Puts you near Beach.

People bitch and moan about how congested and difficult it is to get to. That's over-blown by a shit-ton. Those are the idiots who use their cellphones to map out their route. That puts you on the wrong bridge and you'll road-rage like a champ. Learn your way around and you'll be fine.
Alpha

Postby Konatown » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Awesome, thank you. Go Rays!
Konatown

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Faria is legit
Nano

Postby Rocker » Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:02 pm

I'll be there too. Section 345, row C. Stop by and I'll buy you a beer.
Rocker

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:57 pm

You're killing me, Smalls!
Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports