Boxing Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Boxing Thread

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:20 am

After having lost interest in boxing for a while, I'm starting to get back into it. Obviously want to see Mayweather vs Manny, but the fight I really want to see is Wilder vs Fury. I think it's a great matchup and the winner would be the undisputed #1 contender to Wlad (assuming he takes care of business) so obviously huge stakes.
real bucs fan

Re: Boxing Thread

Postby StillCSG » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:32 am

real bucs fan wrote:After having lost interest in boxing for a while, I'm starting to get back into it. Obviously want to see Mayweather vs Manny, but the fight I really want to see is Wilder vs Fury. I think it's a great matchup and the winner would be the undisputed #1 contender to Wlad (assuming he takes care of business) so obviously huge stakes.

Wilder will CRUSH Fury

I could of swore i heard rumblings of Wlad hanging them up after this next fight win or lose
StillCSG

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:45 am

StillCSG wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After having lost interest in boxing for a while, I'm starting to get back into it. Obviously want to see Mayweather vs Manny, but the fight I really want to see is Wilder vs Fury. I think it's a great matchup and the winner would be the undisputed #1 contender to Wlad (assuming he takes care of business) so obviously huge stakes.

Wilder will CRUSH Fury

I could of swore i heard rumblings of Wlad hanging them up after this next fight win or lose

The reason why I think it'll be a good fight is Wilder hasn't had his chin tested. I think matchup wise, Wilder will have a tough time against a much bigger man, especially one with Fury's power. Fury will test out that chin, and we will see just how good of a contender Wilder is. I would put my money on Wilder, though I think it'll be an epic slugfest. Two huge guys throwing bomb after bomb.

Haven't heard those rumblings, but I do know the Wilder camp is targeting Fury next and then Wlad (Wilder said so in a recent presser).
real bucs fan

Postby Hit55 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:48 pm

Finally! Some (potentially) fantastic news! It looks like a deal is set for the Pacquiao - Mayweather fight to happen.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... fight.html

Pacquiao has done his part, agreed to terms, signed the contract and sent it over to Mayweather. It's up to Floyd to sign and announce. Of course, we've been down this road before with Floyd, so let's see if he mans up and announces this thing and makes it official...tonight at the NBA All-Star game preferred. I wonder how difficult it will be to scoop tickets to this.
Hit55

Postby StillCSG » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:52 pm

Hit55 wrote:Finally! Some (potentially) fantastic news! It looks like a deal is set for the Pacquiao - Mayweather fight to happen.

Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... fight.html

Pacquiao has done his part, agreed to terms, signed the contract and sent it over to Mayweather. It's up to Floyd to sign and announce. Of course, we've been down this road before with Floyd, so let's see if he mans up and announces this thing and makes it official...tonight at the NBA All-Star game preferred. I wonder how difficult it will be to scoop tickets to this.

I won't believe it will happen up until the point the ring the bell...
StillCSG

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:18 am

Fury defeated Klitschko last night. That Fury/Wilder fight I've been excited for might end up being for some hardware.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:24 am

Kovalev-Ward tonight will be worth the PPV, at least as far as these things go.
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:03 am

MJW wrote:Kovalev-Ward tonight will be worth the PPV, at least as far as these things go.

Who you got?
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:15 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:Kovalev-Ward tonight will be worth the PPV, at least as far as these things go.

Who you got?

Ward on points. I think he'll get inside enough to control the tempo and scorecards. I like Kovalev's style, and I think he generates power from bad angles as well as any fighter out there at the moment. But I just don't think he's got the handspeed to keep Ward from working his way inside.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he knocks Ward out, either. Which is pretty much why I think it'll be a great fight.
MJW

Postby RedLeader » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:36 am

Wow. 9 posts in almost two years?!

Boxing is DEAD.
RedLeader

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:27 pm

MJW wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Who you got?

Ward on points. I think he'll get inside enough to control the tempo and scorecards. I like Kovalev's style, and I think he generates power from bad angles as well as any fighter out there at the moment. But I just don't think he's got the handspeed to keep Ward from working his way inside.

And I wouldn't be surprised if he knocks Ward out, either. Which is pretty much why I think it'll be a great fight.

I see it the same way. I think KO is the only path to victory for Kovelev. No other route, but if anyone can pull it off it's him. Ward is so damn slick that I have to believe he will pull it off by being smarter in the ring. I'm hoping for at least 9 great rounds. After that someone can get KTFO and I'll be happy.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:39 am

RedLeader wrote:
Boxing is DEAD.

And when people ask "why," you can point to this fight. In at least half the rounds, more time was spent holding and clenching and pushing than punching. Who the **** wants to sit around for an hour and watch that ****? At least in MMA when they're holding they're (usually) trying to make a move of some sort. You're not just tying up your opponent to grind the fight to a halt.

On another note, I'm no huge boxing or fighting fan, but it doesn't make sense to me that you beat the champ when you never even knocked him down. And on top of all that you got knocked down yourself.
NYBF

Postby MJW » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:32 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
MJW wrote:

I see it the same way. I think KO is the only path to victory for Kovelev. No other route, but if anyone can pull it off it's him. Ward is so damn slick that I have to believe he will pull it off by being smarter in the ring. I'm hoping for at least 9 great rounds. After that someone can get KTFO and I'll be happy.

Looks like we're both right, though...yeah...what a fight.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:35 am

NYBF wrote:
RedLeader wrote:
Boxing is DEAD.

And when people ask "why," you can point to this fight. In at least half the rounds, more time was spent holding and clenching and pushing than punching. Who the **** wants to sit around for an hour and watch that ****? At least in MMA when they're holding they're (usually) trying to make a move of some sort. You're not just tying up your opponent to grind the fight to a halt.

On another note, I'm no huge boxing or fighting fan, but it doesn't make sense to me that you beat the champ when you never even knocked him down. And on top of all that you got knocked down yourself.

I feel the same way when I see an MMA fight that ends in a submission, which it seems like too many of them do. At least you can't WIN a boxing match by tying up, right?

Now...is boxing dead? It's relative, I guess? It's not what it was from rise of Ali through the fall of Tyson, and it probably never will be again. But when we see the final PPV numbers on this fight, I think it'll be tough to declare it's "dead." It's obvious there are guys in the MMA who 30 years ago would have been dynamic boxing champions instead. But I still think there's a very strong niche for the sport and always will be.
MJW

Postby NYBF » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm

MJW wrote:
I feel the same way when I see an MMA fight that ends in a submission, which it seems like too many of them do. At least you can't WIN a boxing match by tying up, right?

Ward won last night, didn't he?
NYBF

Return to Other Sports