***OFFICIAL NBA 2016-2017 SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2016-2017 SEASON THREAD***

Postby NYBF » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:29 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I think Aaron Gordon should be the most "untouchable" player on the roster. But I'd totally trade him for an All Star player. (Yes, I know it won't happen, just saying I'm only open to moving him for an all star). I think Vucevic should definitely be on the trade block, he's been the best player on our team for the past five years yes but we've been bottom dwelling trash the entire time. He's a support role type player and by the time we build a team that can compete, his prime could likely be over. I'm not against moving him for more assets right now. I get the feeling that the Magic will likely be acquiring a new PG soon, just kind of hope it's not Reggie Jackson but it probably will be. One last turd of a present from Rob Hennigan.

You think that if they started a true rebuild right now that Vucevic would be past his prime by the time it's done, but in the same breath would trade Gordon for an All Star? And what would that All Star do on this **** show of a team?

Go for inflated numbers on a losing squad, only to eventually be traded for an underwhelming return. Or let walk in free agency. And you're back to square one.
NYBF

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:52 pm

NYBF wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:I think Aaron Gordon should be the most "untouchable" player on the roster. But I'd totally trade him for an All Star player. (Yes, I know it won't happen, just saying I'm only open to moving him for an all star). I think Vucevic should definitely be on the trade block, he's been the best player on our team for the past five years yes but we've been bottom dwelling trash the entire time. He's a support role type player and by the time we build a team that can compete, his prime could likely be over. I'm not against moving him for more assets right now. I get the feeling that the Magic will likely be acquiring a new PG soon, just kind of hope it's not Reggie Jackson but it probably will be. One last turd of a present from Rob Hennigan.

You think that if they started a true rebuild right now that Vucevic would be past his prime by the time it's done, but in the same breath would trade Gordon for an All Star? And what would that All Star do on this **** show of a team?

Go for inflated numbers on a losing squad, only to eventually be traded for an underwhelming return. Or let walk in free agency. And you're back to square one.

If you could move Gordon for a proven star like a DeMarcus Cousins, it's easier to build the team around him than Gordon is my point. It's a moot point since that trade or any other deal for an All Star will not happen. It's just me saying that I consider Gordon untouchable unless we can get a centerpiece type All Star to build around. In the case of Vucevic, unless we landed a star via trade or FA we are likely 3-4 years away from being a team than can contend which would have his contract expiring and near age 30. I think now is the time to capitalize on his value and his contract by moving him for pieces to help with the rebuilding of this rebuild. I wouldn't just dump him for anything, but if I'm GM I'm definitely dangling him on the market and seeing what I can get. Not just him either, this team has no identity so anyone and everyone should be available.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Slam dunk tonight!!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:37 am

DeMarcus Cousins was just traded to the Pelicans. Wow.
Miller4Prez64

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:16 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:DeMarcus Cousins was just traded to the Pelicans. Wow.

Great for the Kings.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:DeMarcus Cousins was just traded to the Pelicans. Wow.

Great for the Kings.

That should be fun to watch in New Orleans.
PrimeMinister

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:36 am

The Pelicans have garbage on the perimeter and now two bigs who may not mesh down low. It's a worthwhile gamble though because the Pelicans have one of the leagues' best rising stars and needed someone else to pair him with. Sucks for them it couldn't be a wing player.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Swashy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm

Boogie might be one of the games best big men but when I think of "petulant child" he's one of the first names that come to mind. Good for the Kings to at least get Evans back
Swashy

Postby Super K » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:33 pm

Here's the problem with today's NBA wrapped up in 1 example:

On my drive home from work today I heard the Nets will "entertain" a 1st AND 2nd round pick for Center Brooks Lopez...

Are you ****ing kidding me...a 1st and a 2nd for Brooks ****ing Lopez?
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Super K wrote:Here's the problem with today's NBA wrapped up in 1 example:

On my drive home from work today I heard the Nets will "entertain" a 1st AND 2nd round pick for Center Brooks Lopez...

A late 1st and 2nd is equal to a 6th abd 7th round pick in the NFL.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:00 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Super K wrote:Here's the problem with today's NBA wrapped up in 1 example:

A late 1st and 2nd is equal to a 6th abd 7th round pick in the NFL.

I'd say it's similar to a 5th and 7th, but your point stands.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:A late 1st and 2nd is equal to a 6th abd 7th round pick in the NFL.

Another example of what is wrong with the league/sport...

Unless you get a top 3 pick, the pick is worthless..or worth Brooks Lopez...

They need to condense the league..too many teams, not enough good players...

Especially when the rules and cap allow for these "super" teams to be built...
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:23 pm

Super K wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Another example of what is wrong with the league/sport...

Unless you get a top 3 pick, the pick is worthless..or worth Brooks Lopez...

They need to condense the league..too many teams, not enough good players...

Especially when the rules and cap allow for these "super" teams to be built...

Agreed on condensing the league. 10 teams could probably be removed tomorrow and it would only improve the league. Hell maybe even the Eastern Conference could be competitive.

Super teams are the DNA of the NBA since at least the 70's. Ironically even when the league was much smaller the league was still dominated by 1 or 2 "super teams".
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Oh my Knicks a such a freaking mess..

Trade Brandon Jennings? Nah..let's just cut him so someone can pick him up as soon as we do..

Trade DRose? Nope...let's **** that up too and lose him for nothing this summer..

Noah? Out for the rest of the season with knee surgery...

Melo? Let's play chicken and then do act as if nothing happened...

We had an opportunity to "try" and go all out or tank the hell out of this thing..

Instead, we don't do a damn thing..not a damn thing..

What a fuckin joke we are...
Super K

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Super K wrote:Oh my Knicks a such a freaking mess..

Trade Brandon Jennings? Nah..let's just cut him so someone can pick him up as soon as we do..

Trade DRose? Nope...let's **** that up too and lose him for nothing this summer..

Noah? Out for the rest of the season with knee surgery...

Melo? Let's play chicken and then do act as if nothing happened...

We had an opportunity to "try" and go all out or tank the hell out of this thing..

Instead, we don't do a damn thing..not a damn thing..

What a fuckin joke we are...

The Melo thing was terribly handled, but partly his fault. He had a no trade clause and basically said he would only go to the Cavs or Clippers, neither wanted him. It seemed like Jackson's strategy was to upset Carmelo enough to drive him to relinquish his trade clause and agree to go elsewhere.

I think they should have pulled the trigger on Rose for Rubio, word was Jackson wanted more than Rubio for Rose, which makes 0 sense.

Phil Jackson is raping that franchise of 12 million per year. He doesn't even go to the combine...
uscbucsfan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:25 am

I do think condensing the league would make it more competitive, but I feel like all the smaller market teams would be the ones getting cut not these cities and states with multiple franchises and that kind of sucks. I think the salary cap needs to come down, now everyone has money to spend and before you had to wisely manage your cap to maintain flexibility.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Super K » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I do think condensing the league would make it more competitive, but I feel like all the smaller market teams would be the ones getting cut not these cities and states with multiple franchises and that kind of sucks. I think the salary cap needs to come down, now everyone has money to spend and before you had to wisely manage your cap to maintain flexibility.

Yeah, lowering the cap AND making it a HARD cap, none of this Luxury tax bullshit, would help greatly..

A quick search showed the current cap to be around $91...for 10-12 damn guys..half of which are poop..

This is how a career 8/7/3 guy gets a $40mill contract..

Or how Mike Conley signs for freaking $150mill..
Super K

Postby NYBF » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:52 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I do think condensing the league would make it more competitive, but I feel like all the smaller market teams would be the ones getting cut not these cities and states with multiple franchises and that kind of sucks. I think the salary cap needs to come down, now everyone has money to spend and before you had to wisely manage your cap to maintain flexibility.

Condensing the league would be the solution in every major sports league in the US. It is also something that will never happen under pretty much any circumstances. The only time I remember contraction ever being seriously discussed was when Bud Selig came up with the scam to get his buddy Loria a sweetheart deal.
NYBF

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm

NYBF wrote:

Condensing the league would be the solution in every major sports league in the US. It is also something that will never happen under pretty much any circumstances. The only time I remember contraction ever being seriously discussed was when Bud Selig came up with the scam to get his buddy Loria a sweetheart deal.

I totally agree, but as someone who has cheered for mostly small market teams I feel the pain of all the fans who would lose their teams so we can have more competitive playoff series between LA, Boston, NY, Miami, etc.

Regardless, the NBA needs to try something new. I don't necessarily hate super teams, but there just are too many franchises stuck in mud with low hopes of getting out.
Miller4Prez64

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:55 am

Super K wrote:

Yeah, lowering the cap AND making it a HARD cap, none of this Luxury tax bullshit, would help greatly..

A quick search showed the current cap to be around $91...for 10-12 damn guys..half of which are poop..

You could fix the salary issue by allowing teams to spend the cap however they like. No reason Levron should be limited to $30M/yr. If some team is willing to pay him $50M/yr then allow it. That alone would bust up super teams without contracting the league.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:59 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:

You could fix the salary issue by allowing teams to spend the cap however they like. No reason Levron should be limited to $30M/yr. If some team is willing to pay him $50M/yr then allow it. That alone would bust up super teams without contracting the league.

Very true..

I'd still like to see a hard cap though...do away with the luxury tax nonsense...
Super K

Postby A Man's Part » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:34 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Super K wrote:

This. No need for a hard cap, just let players earn what they deserve
A Man's Part

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:18 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Then why have a salary cap at all?
Super K

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Super K wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:

Then why have a salary cap at all?

So it isn't baseball.
PrimeMinister

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:40 pm

Crocaneers

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:53 pm

No comments on Bogut breaking his leg 58 seconds into his Cavs career / debut?

Side note, if I have to hear the situation referred to as "such a bad break.." one more ****ing time today, someone on ESPN radio is getting punched in the face..
Super K

Postby Fiasco » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:37 pm

It's been really fun watching this Heat team for the past couple of months.
Fiasco

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:17 pm

Henny fired
Heisenberg

Postby Konatown » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Henny fired

Finally.

I'm a casual basketball fan, root for the Magic since they're the closest to Tampa. Went to UCF during the good Dwight years, so it was fun.

The Magic have been absolutely turrible for the past 5 years, something like a .332 winning %. Missed on early draft picks, not developing young players, trading away assets for pennies on the dollar.

Hope they can turn it around soon.
Konatown

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Konatown wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Henny fired

Finally.

I'm a casual basketball fan, root for the Magic since they're the closest to Tampa. Went to UCF during the good Dwight years, so it was fun.

The Magic have been absolutely turrible for the past 5 years, something like a .332 winning %. Missed on early draft picks, not developing young players, trading away assets for pennies on the dollar.

Hope they can turn it around soon.

Ya I don't watch games like I do bucs and football..least not like I used to.. but I do follow them and watch some games still.. always rooted for them, been a fan since early Tmac days. We were losing then too but least it was exciting. Now it's hard to get into.
Hopefully they find a gm that can actually build a real roster.. I thought Henny would be decent having part in okc but I was wrong. Trading high picks and young players for rentals..Just doing stupid ****.
Heisenberg

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports