***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:40 am

Right now, we're 10 — TEN — points behind the 1st wild card and 3 points behind the 2nd wild card. Three points behind Toronto (TORONTO) for 3rd in the division.

We're 21-20-5. Basically a .500 team.

Does it simply come down to injuries? Is it just that simple?
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:38 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Right now, we're 10 — TEN — points behind the 1st wild card and 3 points behind the 2nd wild card. Three points behind Toronto (TORONTO) for 3rd in the division.

We're 21-20-5. Basically a .500 team.

Does it simply come down to injuries? Is it just that simple?

I think it's a few things...in combination.

Look at last year, as an example. I believe, at the start of this year, this team was MORE talented than last year. That is pretty much beyond dispute.

LAST year, we lost Stamkos for an extended period (blood-clot) but we didn't lose Bish and Stammer until very LATE in the year. Last year, Bish played at a Veznia-caliber level and kept us in the playoff hunt for most of the year. He has missed a LOT of time (just returning 2 games ago) and Vasy isn't (yet) up to the standard Bish has set...and it showed over the last 15 games or so.

Hell...look at our 4th line currently. 3 guys from Syracuse. Yeah...it's the 4th line but jeebus Christmas...our current line-up if FILLED with Syracuse guys. Erne, Vermine, Guys whose names I can't spell. We have WAY more AHL guys on this team now than we did at this time last year.

Another interesting stat. We have a FANTASTIC record against our own division. Unfortunately, the way our schedule has played out, we've played a TON of games against the Metro division thus far....probably the best division in the NHL. I fully expect the rest of our division to come back to the pack as they start having to play that division.

And now we're on a BRUTAL road trip against the best of the west. 3 points in 4 games with San Jose tomorrow night...and SJ doesn't exactly suck.

We'll see how it plays out. Maybe this is the year we miss out (like CHI) last year.

I still LOVE the way this team is set up for success for YEARS to come.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Right now, we're 10 — TEN — points behind the 1st wild card and 3 points behind the 2nd wild card. Three points behind Toronto (TORONTO) for 3rd in the division.

Forget the WC. That ain't happening with as strong as the Metro division is this year. It's either finish in the top 3 in the division or nothing.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:56 am

This team is done. No playoffs this year. LAST place in the entire Eastern Conference. Only three other teams in the entire league have more losses than us.

What a freaking disgrace of a season. I don't care about the injuries. Even with the injuries, there's no excuse for this team to be in last place.

I realize we're only a few points behind 3rd in the division. But I just don't see this team getting their crap together. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, and everyone come quote this post and laugh at me in 2 months. But I just don't see it.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:46 pm

pewterpirates wrote:This team is done. No playoffs this year. LAST place in the entire Eastern Conference. Only three other teams in the entire league have more losses than us.

What a freaking disgrace of a season. I don't care about the injuries. Even with the injuries, there's no excuse for this team to be in last place.

I realize we're only a few points behind 3rd in the division. But I just don't see this team getting their crap together. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, and everyone come quote this post and laugh at me in 2 months. But I just don't see it.

Frankly...I don't see it either.

The Arizona game was a disgrace. How pathetic are you when your 4th LINE are the only players showing effort? And Bish...please. Gives up 2 SOFT goals to the SHORT SIDE. Pathetic effort.

Telling that this team is 0-3 against the 3 worst teams in the league.

There seems to be ZERO leadership on this team without Callahan and Stamkos. Killorn, Kuch, Johnson...they seem to have quit. At best, they've "temporarily" disappeared.

Some nights Drouin is the best player on the ice (for either team)...and then he vanishes for 2 games.

Watching the game tonight...fittingly...against the Blackhawks. Maybe this is our year to do what the 'Hawks did last year. Absolutely nothing.

It's gut-check time...and I don't know if this team has the testicular fortitude to do it.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm really souring on Johnson. I hope we don't re-sign him.

Wonder if there's any type of chemistry problem. Most of these guys have been together and experienced a lot of team success the past 3-4 years. Wonder if there's some sort of locker room issues or selfish issues. I can't put my finger on it, but this team just isn't right in the head.
pewterpirates

Postby Nano » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Nano wrote:Hopefully the Lighting don't decide to suck this year. Would be par for the course for this area

Oops
Nano

Postby Rocker » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:45 pm

It really is pretty damned ridiculous.

Sigh.

#itsaBoltslife
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:00 am

Nano wrote:
Nano wrote:Hopefully the Lighting don't decide to suck this year. Would be par for the course for this area

Oops

.500 is far from "sucking" so I suppose "oops" is accurate.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:07 am

The outcome of the Chicago game is not indicative of how poorly this team looked through the first 2 periods. It was much of the same. Un-inspired play. Few true scoring chances. The Bolts look SLOW. For the last several games (through this entire road trip) they look like they've been focusing on playing better defense at the expense of playing fast and aggressive offensively. Almost like they're playing "playoff" style hockey.

Aim small, miss small.

They've been playing like they'd rather lose close games, as opposed to playing like they're trying to win them.

The Chicago win didn't show me anything that leads me to believe that they're gonna go on a long winning streak.

Wouldn't be shocked at all if they **** the bed against Florida tonight.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 am

Alpha wrote:Wouldn't be shocked at all if they **** the bed against Florida tonight.

Tbh, I'd be shocked if we won...
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:36 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:Wouldn't be shocked at all if they **** the bed against Florida tonight.

Tbh, I'd be shocked if we won...

Another OT loss. ANOTHER 2-1 loss.

6 out of 12 points on this road trip. Decent...but not good enough.

Didn't see the game. Didn't watch the replay.

Unless we can figure out how to score again...we're done for. A lot of 2-1 games over the last 6. Playing not to lose. Bleh.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:59 pm

This team makes me want throw babies through my TV
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:This team makes me want throw babies through my TV

Feel ya, completely.

Don't know exactly what's killing them this year. The "injury" excuse only gets you so far.

The goaltending has been horrid.

There seems to be no leaders on this team with Stamkos and Callahan gone.

Over the last few games, there has been a severe drop off on SoG as well.

This year's team looks done...like they've mailed it in.

Interesting to see what we do with Bish at the trade deadline. Unfortunately, his play this year probably won't yield us much.

The next few months will be interesting. Including the expansion draft. I don't expect Coop to be fired...I do expect this team to look a bit different next year.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:58 pm

There's no need for "looks like" they're done....

It's official after the last two losses. The Bolts are DONE.

0% chance playoffs this year.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:14 am

pewterpirates wrote:There's no need for "looks like" they're done....

Math isn't your strong suit.

'Sayin'...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Alpha wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:There's no need for "looks like" they're done....

'Sayin'...

Nope. Math isn't my strong suit. I hate math.

How about -- 0.000000000000000001% chance of making the playoffs this year.

That better?
pewterpirates

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:

'Sayin'...

That better?

So the Bolts have 23 games left, they are 4 points away from a WC berth, and Stamkos started skating yesterday, yet they only have a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance of making the playoffs? You are correct. Math is not your strong suite.
Brazen331

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

That better?

So the Bolts have 23 games left, they are 4 points away from a WC berth, and Stamkos started skating yesterday, yet they only have a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent chance of making the playoffs? You are correct. Math is not your strong suite.

Guy, chill. Why weren't you quoting me and criticizing me 2 weeks ago? Pretty easy to do so now. I made these posts 2+ weeks ago....before the Bolts' current 7-point game streak. Also, I was being facetious more than anything....Yes, I truthfully thought playoffs were/are out of reach but didn't seriously think it was a 0.000000000000000001% chance.

Just b/c Stamkos skated yesterday doesn't mean he's coming back tomorrow, although that'd be sweet.

Still have to jump 4-5 teams to get a wild card spot. And we're not going to keep getting points every single game the rest of the way out like we have the past 7 games that has gotten us to this point. Still gonna be tough. If you want me to guess and give a real percentage chance I think we have of making the playoffs, I'd put it about 35%.

But hope I'm wrong, again. Still. Go Bolts...
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:02 am

PP was right...and still is.

He was being facetious...but his point stands. The odds are long. And even after going 5-0-2 in their last 7...the odds are STILL long.

I'm not even counting on Stamkos to return this year. Going simply on the team we have TODAY:

1) Bishop is playing like "Old Bish". His play has CLEARLY improved since coming back from his injury.
2) Dotchin (?) has been spectacular since coming up from Syracuse. His presence has strengthened the D...across ALL lines. pretty telling that we had to split up Stralman and Hedman onto separate lines. That should tell you how desperate we are at D.
3) In the 2 "OT" losses, we have given up 2 goal leads both times. That is disturbing. I have to believe Stammer would help.
4) Drouin is ****ing amazing.
5) Putting the Triplets line back together = a good thing.
6) Braydon Point has been exceptional as well. Makes me feel much better about losing Johnson. The kid has played Wing and Center really well.

OR

1) Garrison is killing this team. Like Condra last year. He's old and has clearly lost 2 steps. And his No Trade clause sucks too.
2) How the **** is it possible that our 4th LINE still seems to be putting forth more effort than the rest of our team?
3) Callahan is done for the year. I have to believe that his leadership (yes, an intangible) means more than most of us think.
4) Our offense is lacking a LOT. We struggle to put up 3+ goals. When this team started the year...that CLEARLY wasn't the case.

We SHOULD be sellers at the trade deadline...unfortunately, I don't think we will be because of our "close-ness" to making the playoffs. We have some contracts that NEED to go before next year. I trust Yzerman to do the best he can...I just hope we aren't fucked NEXT year because of having to protect all players with a "No Trade Clause" in the expansion draft.
Alpha

Postby The Bad Guy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Got home at 5 AM after driving back to Jersey after the Stadium Series in Pittsburgh. Flipping through the trade rumors and ran in to this.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2017/2/26/1 ... ick-injury

Ben Bishop is officially traded. Surprised it was to the Kings, but everyone knew it had to happen. It's what I thought would happen with Fleury and the Pens, but they want depth.
The Bad Guy

Postby Nano » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:18 pm

We got a career backup goalie(Maybe he starts with the way Vasy is playing), a defensive player that might develop(literally what all the experts are saying), and a 7th rounder(we also gave up a 5th)

Lovely
Nano

Postby Alpha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:16 pm

Nano wrote:We got a career backup goalie(Maybe he starts with the way Vasy is playing), a defensive player that might develop(literally what all the experts are saying), and a 7th rounder(we also gave up a 5th)

Lovely

The consensus (in Canada, at least) is that the Bolts won this trade and it ain't even close.

I'm sure you thought we were gonna get Crosby for Bish but anywho...

1) We needed a back-up goalie in a return deal. And Boudaj hasn't sucked. In fact, he's been as good as either of our goalies this year.
2) We were in the position of getting NOTHING for Bish at the end of the year. That's not exactly what you'd call "leverage". Stevie Y made chicken salad out of chicken ****...which is why he's one of the best in the business.
3) We also got a conditional pick in 2017 (maxing out at a 2nd rounder)...probably depends on whether or not the Kings re-sign Bishop (that's just a guess).
4) That "defensive player" we got in return is a helluva prospect (a former 2nd round pick)...and a right-handed blue-liner. Those are coveted by EVERY team. Don't pretend or try and make it sound like the kid is some scrub.

Listen...I've read your stuff in this thread. You don't seem to be very knowledgeable...more like a fair-weather/ casual fan. Nothing wrong with that but Chicken Little...the sky ain't falling.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:20 pm

And just read the Raw Charge article.

It's nice to be a homer but if those guys SERIOUSLY thought we were gonna return a 1st round pick for a goalie that was an impending FA...they have clearly got into Outsider's stash and are stoned to the bejeesus.
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:54 pm

Lightning made another big move before the deadline;

Trading away Brian Boyle to the Toronto Maple Leafs for F Byron Froese and a 2nd round draft pick in 2017.

Byron Froese is a 25yr old former 4th rd pick that is currently in the AHL.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:Lightning made another big move before the deadline;

Trading away Brian Boyle to the Toronto Maple Leafs for F Byron Froese and a 2nd round draft pick in 2017.

Byron Froese is a 25yr old former 4th rd pick that is currently in the AHL.

We (essentially) get a 2nd round pick for Boyle. The Froese part of it impacts Syracuse...nothing to see there.

Again...an un-restricted FA, that we weren't going to be able to re-sign. We get a 2nd rounder for him. Not bad.

This has been spelled out on other sites but it's really pretty simple...and Yzerman said as much this morning on local radio:

They are looking at our impending FA, the expansion draft and the future of this team. We were NOT bringing back Bishop OR Boyle. And don't get me started on Boyle...he's had a decent year, because he's played more 2nd and 3rd line shifts due to injuries. HE'S A 4th LINE GUY. He'll help a young Toronto team from a leadership/experience perspective but kids...he ain't that ****ing good.

We need to pay Drouin this year. That's IMPERATIVE. I think we also have Johnson, Palat and Koekkoek to pay as well (and Slater is going to be a starting defenseman next year). We also have a limited number of guys we can protect in the expansion draft.

The local scuttlebutt is that Johnson may go as well (Stralman has also been mentioned). The thinking is, if we trade Johnson, we can then pay AND protect everyone we need to. We also have guys ready to come up...and you're gonna see them now until the end of the year.

Point is a center...and can take Johnson's place (and probably outperform him). You're gonna see another of our future stars in Adam Erne. I think he's mainly a winger but I could be wrong there. Point being...with a stagnant salary cap and very little wiggle room, our FO needs to get creative...and they've PROVEN they can do that.

Yzerman and the boys have PROVEN beyond doubt that they know what they're doing. They have MORE than earned the benefit of the doubt. For sure, it's been a disappointing year...but this franchise has the talent to be competitive for YEARS to come.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Stralman and Johnson both playing. Looks like they aren't going anywhere. Shame because I don't see how we keep Johnson and the guys we need to at the end of the year.

Erne looks great and he's playing Boyle's line btw. In 2 years, NOBODY is gonna remember who Boyle was. Erne has mad game.

The D looks shaky...as can be expected. A lot of mis-communication.

Other than the fact that Kuch scores a damn hat-trick in ONE PERIOD. LOL!

Drouin scares the living **** out of everyone. On the PP...the entire D drifts to him. They move the puck to Kuch and...bang! 3 goals.

Vasy was out of his mind...especially in the first. The only goal was a 5-3. He was amazing.

Time to start the 3rd...but the boys look good. Fast. Would've loved to see them with Stammer and a healthy Callahan. Oh well.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:31 am

Alpha wrote:Stralman and Johnson both playing. Looks like they aren't going anywhere. Shame because I don't see how we keep Johnson and the guys we need to at the end of the year.

Erne looks great and he's playing Boyle's line btw. In 2 years, NOBODY is gonna remember who Boyle was. Erne has mad game.

The D looks shaky...as can be expected. A lot of mis-communication.

Other than the fact that Kuch scores a damn hat-trick in ONE PERIOD. LOL!

Drouin scares the living **** out of everyone. On the PP...the entire D drifts to him. They move the puck to Kuch and...bang! 3 goals.

Vasy was out of his mind...especially in the first. The only goal was a 5-3. He was amazing.

Time to start the 3rd...but the boys look good. Fast. Would've loved to see them with Stammer and a healthy Callahan. Oh well.

Appreciate the analysis as always. What're you thoughts on the rumors that Boyle wants to come back to the Bolts next year? You've been rightfully critical of his play at times, but I think that the team seems to respond well to his play and locker room presence.
Rocker

Postby Rocker » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:07 pm

Filpulla traded to Flyers for defenseman Mark Streit.
Rocker

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 pm

Rocker wrote:Filpulla traded to Flyers for defenseman Mark Streit.

We also sent the Flyers a 4th rd pick and a conditional pick, while the Flyers retain some of Streit's current contract that expires at the end of this season.

This was cap move by StevieY looking ahead to this offseason where we have Drouin, Palat, Johnson and Sustr all restricted FA. This opens more cap for us to use on locking up our own.

Sucks to see Bish, Boyle, and Filpulla all go within days of one another, but this team is loaded with young talent in a league w/ a hard cap. So it's smart business for the future.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports