***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Threa

Postby Teitan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Hell, I'd be fine trading Stamkos. He hasn't done **** for what? 3 years now?
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Teitan wrote:The lightning traded Drouin for a conditional 2nd round pick and a defenseman named Mikhail Sergachev. 18 year old 9th overall pick in 2016

So the Montreal Canadians get Druin who they will have to pay and we get a talented young defensemen and a 2nd round pick.

There were rumors we were shopping Druin this offseason since we don't have the cap to re-sign Palet, TJ, and Druin (Kuch is also on the horizon). Druin had the most trade value and our team needs defense badly.

Still takes big balls by Stevie Y to trade away an emerging offensive talent like Druin. The kid is great playmaker with the puck and provides a lot of scoring chances other can't.

I wish we would've traded him to a Western Conf team instead of keeping him inside the division tbh.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 pm

pewterpirates wrote:I know to usually trust Yzerman when it comes to these things. But I'm freaking livid about this right now. To me, Drouin should've been right there with 91 & 77 as far as most untouchables. I would've traded away or flat out watched Johnson walk before trading Drouin.

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

I get it. Druin is uber talented. But I think it was more of a decision between Druin or Kuch instead of Druin or Palet/TJ.

TJ, Palet, Druin were all up and one had to go, then Kuch next year. I don't know that it was feasable to ever keep both 27 and 86 long term with the other investments we've made.

Now we can keep TJ and Palet, and have better chance to keep Kuch long term.

But I'm not happy to lose Druin either.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:38 pm

If trading away Drouin means we for sure get to keep Kuch and Palat long-term, then that makes it a little easier to take. I don't really care either way on TJ.

But Drouin was just such a special and rare talent with the things he was able to do, it's hard to let talent like that get away. I think all of the BS between him and management wasn't like it was the year before, so I don't buy into that being a reasoning for letting him go like some Bolts fans are saying.

The trade also means we get to protect one extra player in the expansion draft we wouldn't otherwise have been able to, so I'm sure that played a large part in the deal.

For the record, I still don't like the Killorn contract either. Hated it then. Hate it now.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:07 pm

I'm no hockey guy, but Druin is special player on the ice in how he creates scoring chances and I know those guys are rare.

I'm not happy to see a young, talented player leave. But he didn't walk for nothing and in a salary cap sport where you have an under talented roster like Stevie has assembled there are going to be difficult decisions to make, and this was certainly one them. Make no mistake, I think Druin will be a perennial all-star while playing for a divisional rival.

I'll just have to press the "I believe in Stevie" button on this one. He's looking years down the road at this roster and making what he feels is the best decision for this franchise.

Hopefully this young Russian defensemen works out and he addresses the biggest weakness on our team. Hedy needs some help and come playoff hockey you have to have good defensemen to limit opposing scoring chances. We are still loaded w/ offense with out Druin. Just not as loaded.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:40 pm

Happy Habs fan here. :)

We needed a playmaker badly and Drouin certainly fits the bill.

Sergachev is a big time talent though. A lot of folks in Montreal have compared him to Subban. Big , fast, creative and has a canon from the point. I think he's a couple years away from being that guy though. Dude was one of the youngest guys in last years draft.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Had some time to digest this...and do a little reading on who we got in return.

You people need to understand this. Read it. Digest it. Absorb it with all of your being:

YZERMAN KNOWS WHAT HE"S DOING.

You may not like it or understand it...but he does. He has MORE than earned the benefit of the doubt...and we made out ok on this deal. And we'll make out even better in 2 years.

Personally...I like Drouin the PLAYER. He's fun and exciting to watch. Drouin the PERSON, I could take or leave. The drama from 2 years ago still rubs me the wrong way. We are short on wingers as well...which is kind of curious.

In 2 years, we'll be clear of Coburn and Garrison AND their contracts. Our blue line is gonna look pretty damned stout with Hedman, Stralman, Sustr and the new kid. Throw in Dotchin (possibly). Regardless...if you needed any reminders...WE NEED DEFENSEMEN. Desperately.

We have a LOT of quality forwards. You need to give something to get something.

There is also the salary cap angle. We weren't re-signing Drouin, Palat AND TJ. We just don't have the room. TJ would've been my personal choice but face facts. He hasn't done much in 2 years and his value (probably) just isn't there.

The expansion angle comes into play as well. I'd be shocked if we protected Killorn. HE was the guy Kucherov was bitching about a few weeks back. If there is a God, Yzerman is gonna make a deal with Vegas to take Killorn. Regardless, we don't have to protect the new kid. That leaves us room to protect our 7 most valuable forwards/wingers and leaves us losing somebody like JT Brown instead of somebody more valuable or talented.

There is a long way to go this off-season. I wouldn't be shocked if TJ or Palat aren't with this team to start the season. Frankly, Palat is much more valuable anyway.

Today...I'm ok with this move. Not thrilled. Not livid. I do know that Stevie Y is a ****ing wizard.

Trust in Yzerman.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:13 am

Teitan wrote:Hell, I'd be fine trading Stamkos. He hasn't done **** for what? 3 years now?

And you need to stop.

Just....don't.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:23 am

Tidbits from the local radio hacks and other, on-line sources (Hockey Writers, Raw Charge, NHL.com, etc.)

Today by 5 pm, teams will present their "protected" lists.

There's a theory floating around that the Lightning will not protect Killorn (prohibitive contract) with the expectation he won't be taken. If Vegas wants to take that albatross...so be it.

Another suggests that the Bolts will make Kooekoek AND Dotchin available with the understanding that Vegas takes Slater (a high pick from a couple of years ago) only on the condition that they take Garrison as well. Making the Drouin trade was essentially to cover the loss of Kooekoek....with a better prospect.

Our most likely loss (if Vegas takes an offensive player): Yanni Gourde (4th line forward).

Most likely loss (defensive player): Dotchin or Koeekoek. We have to make both available. Hedman and Stralman are gonna be covered. So it's either one of them or Sustr (if Vegas gets stupid).

If Yzerman can get rid of Garrison's or Coburn's contract...that would be stellar and virtually guarantee that we can re-sign TJ AND Palat or one of them AND extend Kucherov next year.

Unfortunately...we are too weak at LW/RW to lose Killorn. We NEED him and his shitty contract. At least this year.

Erne
Point
Sergachev (the new guy)

Don't need to be protected.

JT Brown
Joel Vermin

They are gonna be made available and COULD be selected (especially Vermin).

Should be interesting...
Alpha

Postby Wharf Rat » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:44 pm

Alpha wrote:Had some time to digest this...and do a little reading on who we got in return.

You people need to understand this. Read it. Digest it. Absorb it with all of your being:

You may not like it or understand it...but he does. He has MORE than earned the benefit of the doubt...and we made out ok on this deal. And we'll make out even better in 2 years.

Personally...I like Drouin the PLAYER. He's fun and exciting to watch. Drouin the PERSON, I could take or leave. The drama from 2 years ago still rubs me the wrong way. We are short on wingers as well...which is kind of curious.

In 2 years, we'll be clear of Coburn and Garrison AND their contracts. Our blue line is gonna look pretty damned stout with Hedman, Stralman, Sustr and the new kid. Throw in Dotchin (possibly). Regardless...if you needed any reminders...WE NEED DEFENSEMEN. Desperately.

There is also the salary cap angle. We weren't re-signing Drouin, Palat AND TJ. We just don't have the room. TJ would've been my personal choice but face facts. He hasn't done much in 2 years and his value (probably) just isn't there.

The expansion angle comes into play as well. I'd be shocked if we protected Killorn. HE was the guy Kucherov was bitching about a few weeks back. If there is a God, Yzerman is gonna make a deal with Vegas to take Killorn. Regardless, we don't have to protect the new kid. That leaves us room to protect our 7 most valuable forwards/wingers and leaves us losing somebody like JT Brown instead of somebody more valuable or talented.

There is a long way to go this off-season. I wouldn't be shocked if TJ or Palat aren't with this team to start the season. Frankly, Palat is much more valuable anyway.

Today...I'm ok with this move. Not thrilled. Not livid. I do know that Stevie Y is a ****ing wizard.

Trust in Yzerman.

This makes sense, and I get it.

That said, I'm not happy about losing Drouin. But I'm hoping this Russian kid turns out to be worth it.
Wharf Rat

Postby Alpha » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:47 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Alpha wrote:Had some time to digest this...and do a little reading on who we got in return.

Trust in Yzerman.

This makes sense, and I get it.

That said, I'm not happy about losing Drouin. But I'm hoping this Russian kid turns out to be worth it.

I'm ok with losing Drouin.

I really dislike that he's going to Montreal. In the division. Ugh. The stuff of potential nightmares. Would've preferred to see him in Calgary or some wasteland...where we only have to see him twice a year and NEVER in the playoffs.

The new kid is supposed to be pretty damned special. I've read a lot about him in the last 2 days. I like the kid a lot. Others do as well...and not just the Bolts front office.

We need him. And in 2 years, we're gonna need MORE than him.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:03 am

The following players were protected by the Tampa Bay Lightning and cannot be selected by the Vegas Golden Knights during the Expansion Draft: forwards Steven Stamkos, Nikita Kucherov, Ryan Callahan, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Alex Killorn, Vladislav Namestnikov; defensemen Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, Braydon Coburn and goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/ligh ... -289972714
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:37 pm

Teitan wrote:
The following players were protected by the Tampa Bay Lightning and cannot be selected by the Vegas Golden Knights during the Expansion Draft: forwards Steven Stamkos, Nikita Kucherov, Ryan Callahan, Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat, Alex Killorn, Vladislav Namestnikov; defensemen Victor Hedman, Anton Stralman, Braydon Coburn and goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/ligh ... -289972714

Ok. Looks like the rumor is true. Nothing else makes sense.

Leaving BOTH Dotchin AND Koekkoek exposed can ONLY mean that there is an agreement between The Bots and Vegas, whereby Vegas gets Koekoek or Dotchin (whoever they prefer) with the understanding that Garrison goes as well. That would get rid of another worthless, over-bloated contract, leaving only Killorn's monstrosity (I'm not counting Coburn, as his comes off next year).

That would also explain us protecting Coburn and NOT one of our better, young defensemen.

My guess is they take Koekkoek.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:18 pm

The expansion draft tomorrow night will be interesting.

Vegas could put together a decent team right off the bat with some of the names available. Not to mention they'll probably come away with 3-4 first-round picks in the actual draft thanks to side deals in the expansion draft.

I think they poach Dotchin.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:52 pm

pewterpirates wrote:The expansion draft tomorrow night will be interesting.

Vegas could put together a decent team right off the bat with some of the names available. Not to mention they'll probably come away with 3-4 first-round picks in the actual draft thanks to side deals in the expansion draft.

I think they poach Dotchin.

It will be interesting. I suspect they take Andre-Fluerry and Raanta in goal. Maybe even Marchessault. Regardles, I agree. They're gonna come out with a HAUL of future draft picks. I love how people think they're gonna be good, right off the bat. They might have a stout D but they aren't scoring goals. Marchessault MIGHT be their best option on offense. Old Man Thornton is available...he can score, I suppose. Regardless...they're gonna have a tough time putting together ONE line that can score points.

They're gonna get slaughtered next year.

I wouldn't be shocked if they take Dotchin. I just think Koekkoek has more potential than Jake. I would be surprised if Stevie Y doesn't have some kind of deal in place. We NEED to get rid of another contract.

And FYI...Budaj was re-signed for 2 years. Our back-up goalie situation is set.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:26 pm

I saw something that said the Lightning have a deal in place with the to protect "young defenseman". Whatever that means.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Teitan wrote:I saw something that said the Lightning have a deal in place with the to protect "young defenseman". Whatever that means.

Haven't heard that yet...but I wasn't able to listen to the radio today.

Common sense says that there is a reason why Coburn was protected and Dotchin and CooCoo weren't. There is something going on here. We need to unload a contract. Garrison and/or Killorn are a part of the deal...and Killer was protected so I'd assume he isn't it.

I'm sure there are draft picks involved as well. This year would be a great pick to give up considering where we're picking and the lack of depth in this years draft.

Tomorrow will be fun.

I'll be disappointed if we aren't wheeling and dealing.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:32 am

I just got an alert on my phone that the Lightning and Vegas have a side deal agreement where Vegas won't take Dotchin or Koekkoek. They're expected to take Garrison and we'll send them Russian winger Nikita Gusev, one of our highly touted prospects.

Seems to be a good way to go.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:33 am

Via Joe Smith with TBT:

If the Lightning is indeed making a side deal with Vegas to protect its young defensemen - or lose a contract like Jason Garrison's - it would likely have to part with a promising prospect.

One candidate appears to be Russian wing Nikita Gusev.

Gusev's rights could be dealt to the Golden Knights today, per source. Russian site Sovsport.ru also reported a trade is "likely." Gusev, 24, has one more year left on his deal with SKA.

Gusev, a Lightning seventh-round pick in 2012, is a talented scorer in the KHL, racking up 24 goals (and 71 points) in 57 games. His linemate, Vadim Shipachyov, has already signed with Vegas. Another one, Evgeny Dadonov, could be heading there too, making for an interesting Russian reunion.

Now, there's no guarantee Gusev's rights are dealt, but it's been part of the discussions with Vegas. Tampa Bay has previously offered Gusev just an AHL-only deal or a two-way deal, but the talented winger is enjoying a prominent role with SKA.

Whether Gusev has any immediate plans or interest in coming to North America remains to be seen. As of recently, Gusev was believed to be taking a wait and see approach to see how this year goes. If a Russian reunion is a potential in Vegas, maybe that could change his mind.

So if you're Lightning GM Steve Yzerman, it could go a few ways. You could trade a prospect who may never play in the NHL, or at least in the immediate future. Or you trade a player who comes to the NHL in a year and becomes a dynamic playmaker, one good friend, Lightning wing Nikita Kucherov, is very high on. They played together for Russia at the recent World Championships.

But if Tampa Bay wants to ensure it holds onto unprotected defensemen Jake Dotchin and Slater Koekkoek, or shed some salary, it could be a price it has to pay.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Aaaaand that's why we have the best GM in the NHL.

Another contract gone...not to mention a player well past his prime (not to mention a liability on defense).

It would suck to lose a talent like Gusev but we'll have the money to re-sign TJ, Palat and extend Kucherov. And our ability to find talented offensive players is the LEAST of my concerns.
Alpha

Postby Teitan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Knights take Garrison and get 2017 2nd, Pittsburgh's 2018 4th round pick, and negotiating rights with Gusev.
Teitan

Postby Alpha » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Teitan wrote:Knights take Garrison and get 2017 2nd, Pittsburgh's 2018 4th round pick, and negotiating rights with Gusev.

Considering we have 2, 2nd rounders this year...and we get rid of Garrison and his 4.5 mil contract AND we keep Dotchin and Koekkoek?

I'm good.

Coburn is done in a year or two and all we have left is Callahan's monstrosity.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:16 pm

I think we got too cute. I would much rather go into the expansion draft accepting you are going to lose an asset and be done with it.

I think Gusev could have lessened the sting of losing JD and made the trade look better. I got a feeling Gusev is going to light it up in Vegas. Was he never going to play in Tampa or something? I would have kept his rights.
Brazen331

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:14 pm

Depending on which side you're on, you can paint a picture to make it look like a decent move either way. To me, yeah, that's a lot to give up to protect a couple of young unproven assets. I know Koekkoek and Dotchin have looked good in their limited time with the Bolts, but that's a lot to exchange in order to protect guys who have less than 80 combined NHL games under their collective belts.

Word is Gusev likes it where he's at, but if he comes over to Vegas within the next 2 years and lights it up, while Koekkoek/Dotchin are just "serviceable," it's going to look like the wrong move.

To me, the biggest positive is obviously freeing up some cap space. Hopefully TJ and Palat can sign a couple of somewhat team-friendly deals to leave enough room for a bigger Kuch extension while also going after a top-line defenseman in a trade or FA.

Just gotta trust in the Yzerplan.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:32 am

Brazen331 wrote:I think we got too cute. I would much rather go into the expansion draft accepting you are going to lose an asset and be done with it.

I think Gusev could have lessened the sting of losing JD and made the trade look better. I got a feeling Gusev is going to light it up in Vegas. Was he never going to play in Tampa or something? I would have kept his rights.

There's no guarantee Gusev ever would've come to Tampa. He's a small dude...playing on a larger rink. The Bolts would've sent him to Syracuse to get accustomed to the smaller rink size. He wasn't a fan of that option. His Russian line-mate is also already signed with Vegas. He was more an "asset" than a viable option to play in Tampa.

Nothing "too cute" here. We gave up the rights to a guy who may have never even played with us. We gave up an extra 2nd round pick...and a 4th rounder.

We kept two young defensemen that we desperately need and got rid of a terrible contract on a defensive liability. In my view, what makes this a successful trade hinges on re-signing Kucherov. We do that, it's a positive move.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:50 am

I really like the Foote selection combined with Sergachev. I suppose it might be too much to expect him to be as good as his father. Perhaps he can provide more offense, but daddy was a nasty enforcer, pulverizing forwards.

I think we have the makings of a dominating defense in a couple years.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I know it's pie in the sky but word is, the Bolts are attempting to get Shattenkirk.

I would crap myself but I'm not sure how that would work?

He'd be a natural fit to play on the Stralman line. I'm just not sure how his ego would handle not playing on the first line.

But it would be ****ing awesome if it were (somehow) to happen...
Alpha

Previous

Return to Other Sports