***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

Postby Plinko » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi, Buccaneers, and Lightning fans! Our Tampa Bay Lightning begin their 2016-17 regular season of 82 games, as they travel to Sunrise, Florida to play their Sunshine State rivals, the Florida Panthers, in the first of 82 games. Lightning's home opener is this Saturday Night, October 8, with the Nashville Predators at Amalie Arena.

The 2015-16 Tampa Bay lightning team finished their regular season with a 46-31-5 record, good enough for second place in the tough Atlantic Division. The Bolts are scored 227 goals for, but at the same time allowed 201 goals throughout 2015-2016.

Lightning though missed a chance to reach the 2016 Stanley Cup Finals in the postseason this past spring, eventually losing to the eventual 2016 Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference Finals last May, losing 4 games out of 7.

Expectations are high in Tampa bay for General Manager Steve Yzerman, and Head Coach Jon Cooper, to repeat and reach the Stanley Cup Finals, and win the Cup for the second time, since winning their first for the franchise since 2004.

Lightning last week played their four preseason games in five days. Bolts played two home games last Tuesday and Wednesday, losing to the Carolina Hurricane but defeating the Florida Panthers, then two road games on Thursday and last Saturday Night, defeating the Hurricane in overtime in their rematch 2-1 in overtime last Thursday, but lost to the the Nashville Predators 4-3 on October 1.

NO injuries, but we wish a successful 2016-17 NHL season with our Tampa Bay Lightning! ;) GO BOLTS!!!!! WAR TAMPA!!!!!!:) :P :) :) :)

http://www.nhl.com/lightning

http://www.nhl.com/lightning/roster

http://www.nhl.com/lightning/schedule/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016-17_Ta ... ing_season
Last edited by Plinko on Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plinko

Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:05 pm

Thanks to the Rays and Bucs, the Lightning can't get started soon enough.

*Insert Princess Leia "Save us Tampa Bay Lightning, you're our only hope" gif*
pewterpirates

Postby Nano » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:01 pm

Hopefully the Lighting don't decide to suck this year. Would be par for the course for this area
Nano

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:11 am

I'd be shocked if the Lightning suck. They are true contenders IMO. This coming from a dirty rotten habs fan.
real bucs fan

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 pm

real bucs fan wrote:This coming from a dirty rotten habs fan.

Go **** yourself.

The Habs blow dogs and the Bolts are the REAL DEAL.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:06 pm

I think last year's experience in the regular season will help energize the Bolts for the regular season this year.

Obviously, two years ago we were two wins away from hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup, and everyone assumed we'd be a top team the following season. Well, we didn't clinch a playoff berth until the final week or two, and there were stretches during the regular season last year where we didn't even look like a playoff team. After just getting in, we made another deep run. So hopefully after last year's lessons learned in the regular season, they won't wait until midway through the season to start playing their style of hockey.

But there's the other side of it where you can say, the Bolts have played so many games the last two years, that some of the players could start wearing down. I obviously hope not.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:16 am

pewterpirates wrote:I think last year's experience in the regular season will help energize the Bolts for the regular season this year.

Obviously, two years ago we were two wins away from hoisting Lord Stanley's Cup, and everyone assumed we'd be a top team the following season. Well, we didn't clinch a playoff berth until the final week or two, and there were stretches during the regular season last year where we didn't even look like a playoff team. After just getting in, we made another deep run. So hopefully after last year's lessons learned in the regular season, they won't wait until midway through the season to start playing their style of hockey.

But there's the other side of it where you can say, the Bolts have played so many games the last two years, that some of the players could start wearing down. I obviously hope not.

Last year was an anomaly.

We were exhausted and had numerous injuries during the first half of the year. Stamkos and Bishop out for the last round.

We are missing Cally for a couple of months but the rest of our guys are fresh.

This team has (potentially) FOUR, 30 goal scorers.

That is absurd.

We go injury free for the playoffs this year!

Bring us the Cup, boys!
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:41 pm

Good win to open the season. Started slow, but coming back from two different 2-goal deficits was fun. Scoring 4 in the 3rd was fun. Mrazek made some unbelievable saves in the first two periods, otherwise we would've blown them out.

Kuck seemed to struggle getting back in the flow. He missed 2 breakaways and whiffed on several nice set-ups, not to mention he struggled simply receiving passes. But he'll get better. He was probably tired from all the travel and just now getting back with the team.

A couple of the Detroit goals, especially their last one, were flukes. Bishop became the team's all-time leader in saves.

Drouin just might lead the team in points. His vision and his passes are special. If he can be a little more aggressive in scoring, he'd be awesome. But I also like that he likes to look to set up his teammates. That last assist he got to Killorn was nasty.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:41 am

pewterpirates wrote:Good win to open the season. Started slow, but coming back from two different 2-goal deficits was fun. Scoring 4 in the 3rd was fun. Mrazek made some unbelievable saves in the first two periods, otherwise we would've blown them out.

Kuck seemed to struggle getting back in the flow. He missed 2 breakaways and whiffed on several nice set-ups, not to mention he struggled simply receiving passes. But he'll get better. He was probably tired from all the travel and just now getting back with the team.

A couple of the Detroit goals, especially their last one, were flukes. Bishop became the team's all-time leader in saves.

Drouin just might lead the team in points. His vision and his passes are special. If he can be a little more aggressive in scoring, he'd be awesome. But I also like that he likes to look to set up his teammates. That last assist he got to Killorn was nasty.

Sorry...posted about last night's game in the Off-Season Thread.

If Mrazek wasn't a ****ing criminal in the 1st, we could've put up 9 or so on them...and I predict we'll put up 10 on SOMEBODY this year. The scoring is ridiculous when your 4th line puts up 2.

Drouin's pass was sick...his vision was amazing. And it still amazes me how these guys rifle passes right onto the other guy's tape. Having seen a LOT of minor league hockey...that is the most impressive part of a pro game. Drouin put that pass where Killer couldn't POSSIBLY miss the goal.

Kuch and Stammer were flat-out robbed several times. Haven't seen ToP numbers but I'd be shocked if it was even close. Our pressure was relentless and grew as the game progressed. This game, this team looked NOTHING like the start of LAST year. Hell...when slow-ass Boyle out-skates the D to a goal...

The only team that really scares me is FLA. They've sucked for so long...they finally have quality, NHL players all over their roster. Their D is stout. If they can find scoring depth...they could be a real problem.

Looks like it's gonna be a coin flip between PITT/WAS/FLA and TB.

HOPEFULLY we stay healthy but if we do...we're gonna score a TON of points and they'll be fun to watch.
Alpha

Postby Nano » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:16 pm

Another 2 goal deficit, but we took over the rest of the game. Vasily has good potential
Nano

Postby Alpha » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:54 am

Nano wrote:Another 2 goal deficit, but we took over the rest of the game. Vasily has good potential

Vasy got hosed on the deflection goal...then shut them down. The last 5 minutes told the tale. He's a stud.

When this team gets all cylinders cranking...God help this league.

Callahan...CALLAHAN...might be a THIRD LINER when he comes back. How retarded is that!?

And Drouin is STILL the ****.

This team is so ridiculously deep...

The game was kind of weird to watch...we start so sluggish...but when they start skating, they are so fast and relentless...it's so fun to watch. NJ just couldn't keep up for 60 minutes. They have to play their BEST, for 4 LINES, for all 60. Point was still awesome.

Next game against the Panties. This will let us know what the deal is in this division.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Alpha wrote:The only team that really scares me is FLA. They've sucked for so long...they finally have quality, NHL players all over their roster. Their D is stout. If they can find scoring depth...they could be a real problem.

HOPEFULLY we stay healthy but if we do...we're gonna score a TON of points and they'll be fun to watch.

I think the Caps take a step back. They dominated the regular season last year and it still didn't matter in the end. I don't think they'll be going full blast until the postseason gets here. I don't know how the Pens will play out the regular season considering they're coming off the championship and with Crosby's concussion issues, but they're so deep losing him won't matter much. And I could see the Panthers taking a step back, or taking a large leap forward.

But no matter what those teams do, like you've said, if TB stays healthy, there's no reason why the Bolts can't get the #1 seed.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:55 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Alpha wrote:The only team that really scares me is FLA. They've sucked for so long...they finally have quality, NHL players all over their roster. Their D is stout. If they can find scoring depth...they could be a real problem.

I think the Caps take a step back. They dominated the regular season last year and it still didn't matter in the end. I don't think they'll be going full blast until the postseason gets here. I don't know how the Pens will play out the regular season considering they're coming off the championship and with Crosby's concussion issues, but they're so deep losing him won't matter much. And I could see the Panthers taking a step back, or taking a large leap forward.

But no matter what those teams do, like you've said, if TB stays healthy, there's no reason why the Bolts can't get the #1 seed.

The only caveat I'd add is that unlike last year....this team APPEARS to have more offensive depth. I don't think a few injuries will effect this year's team as much.

Drouin is the reason why. If you watch the games...when he's on the ice, **** goes down. Chances happen. Goals happen. And the power play seems much improved. They also seem to be taking SHOTS ON GOAL instead of trying to pass the puck into the net like last year.

I wouldn't be shocked if this team was better than the 14-15 team that averaged over 3 goals a game.

Going to the game tomorrow night. Would love to kick the Panties in the ass for good measure...
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 am

I was glad to see the shootout ripoff didn't end up costing the Lightning a win last night. The goal by Stamkos with 5.5 to play was awesome to watch. I still find it amazing these guys can take a pass like that and, seemingly, in a single motion make an accurate shot on goal. No pressure. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:03 am

Unreal ending to that game last night. Gotta love Stammer coming clutch, then the two kids scoring our only goals in the shootout.

That was a bogus replay overturn for the Panthers in the shootout.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:33 am

I didn't get to watch live, but I had it on DVR. I got home during the shootout and watched that live, then went back and rewatched it. Unbelievable game.

The game-tying shot with 5.5 seconds left was unreal. Stamkos made it look routine but that shot was TOUGH. Made a heady pass to Hedman, then Hedman immediately back to Stamkos, who was standing on the goal line, and in one motion put the puck in probably the only place he can to tie the game. What a play. I've watched it 10 times and still can't believe it. Also, how does Florida lose track of where 91 is in that situation? Glad they did.

In the shootout, there's no way that should've been a goal. People keep talking about if the puck stopped or if it was moving backwards. To me, that wasn't the issue. He got two shot attempts...he just so happened to whiff at his first shot attempt. Bishop (right or wrong) clearly stopped playing after the shooter obviously whiffed on a shot. If they allow goals like that, then players will start whiffing on purpose. Complete BS.

But, glad Point came through and then BIshop — who was HUGE in the shootout — closed the door. Drouin and Point just made it look simple and easy. No fancy moves, just right down the pipe.

I know it's only the third game, but what a big win.

NOW....how about we stop with the dramatic wins? Can we get a lead for once and win a 4-1 type of game? Lol.
pewterpirates

Postby Buc2 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:46 am

pewterpirates wrote:Also, how does Florida lose track of where 91 is in that situation?

My thoughts exactly. There wasn't a defender within 10 feet of him. Granted, there were 2 Panthers on that side of the net in front of their goalie, but they didn't even come close to stopping that shot.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Was at the game last night.

Amazing. Just amazing.

Stammer will never have to buy a drink in this town again.

Very even game from start to finish. I'm not sure why exactly we have such problems with them. Their offense or depth doesn't SEEM to match ours but their defense is probably better and more talented. By the end of the year, they're going to be a very tough out. They have so many new players on defense, it's going to take time for them to get it figured out.

Drouin played a bad game most of the night. He was mostly a non-factor and looked slow. Made a LOT of errors and gave up the puck way too much. Thank God he came through in the SO...

This is the 3rd straight game where Point has looked like one of the best players on the ice. He's all over the place. And he's only 20 years old.

I think tomorrows game against a middling Avalanche team will be our first "easy" game. I think we win by 2 or 3 goals. I hope so at least...that **** last night nearly gave me a stroke...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:36 am

Lightning ranked #1 pro sports franchise by ESPN the Magazine's franchise ratings.

SA Spurs 2nd, Carolina Panthers 3rd.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:10 am

pewterpirates wrote:Lightning ranked #1 pro sports franchise by ESPN the Magazine's franchise ratings.

Wow!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:09 am

To be clear, ALL sports. Yankees, Cowboys, Steelers, Lakers, whatever. Lightning #1.
Kress

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am

pewterpirates wrote:Lightning ranked #1 pro sports franchise by ESPN the Magazine's franchise ratings.

Link

http://www.wtsp.com/mb/news/local/light ... /338975077

Can Vinik buy the Bucs?!
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:22 pm

What a freaking ugly game last night. Bolts were completely out-played by the Avs. TB moved the puck well in the first period, just couldn't find the back of the net. Then Colorado took control. I know you won't win them all, but a 4-0 loss to Colorado at home? Yuck.

Hopefully the Bolts take care of business well on their first road trip of the season — Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, NJ, NYR, NYI. That's a long road trip, but shouldn't be too bad on the travel since it's all pretty centrally located.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:31 am

pewterpirates wrote:What a freaking ugly game last night. Bolts were completely out-played by the Avs. TB moved the puck well in the first period, just couldn't find the back of the net. Then Colorado took control. I know you won't win them all, but a 4-0 loss to Colorado at home? Yuck.

Hopefully the Bolts take care of business well on their first road trip of the season — Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, NJ, NYR, NYI. That's a long road trip, but shouldn't be too bad on the travel since it's all pretty centrally located.

Dammit!

We aren't going 82-0!

My main concern was that we looked like last year's team. Very few SoG after 2 periods. That is disconcerting. Bish also concerns me. He has been rather shaky in goal thus far; definitely not on par with last year.

2 years ago...we had very, VERY few back to back losses. I'll be interested to see how we respond against a fast-starting Sens team.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 am

Alpha wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:What a freaking ugly game last night. Bolts were completely out-played by the Avs. TB moved the puck well in the first period, just couldn't find the back of the net. Then Colorado took control. I know you won't win them all, but a 4-0 loss to Colorado at home? Yuck.

Dammit!

We aren't going 82-0!

My main concern was that we looked like last year's team. Very few SoG after 2 periods. That is disconcerting. Bish also concerns me. He has been rather shaky in goal thus far; definitely not on par with last year.

2 years ago...we had very, VERY few back to back losses. I'll be interested to see how we respond against a fast-starting Sens team.

I didn't see this game, but looking at the game stats, this one was never in doubt.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:22 am

Buc2 wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Dammit!

We aren't going 82-0!

I didn't see this game, but looking at the game stats, this one was never in doubt.

Watched the replay.

The Bolts DOMINATED the play from start to finish.

There is going to be a game or 3 this year, where the offense is clicking on all cylinders (Kuch has yet to score) and Bish is gonna play well. They'll put 10 up on someone...

This team is scary good. 3 FULL lines deep. A very talented 4th line...I'm dying to see a team that beats us in a 7 game series...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:33 pm

Wow.

After the 1st...Toronto is gonna be scary good in a few years. So damn fast. The Bolts are a damn fast team but the Leafs kids are ****ing "lightning" fast.

That said...3-0 after 1 for the good guys. Stammer is ridiculous. It seems as though our veteran team is out-thinking the kids from Toronto.

Would LOVE to see Kuch get off the schnide...and Drouin as well. He's playing within the team concept. Unfortunately...that isn't what he does best. They're essentially handcuffing him. Kinda strange to watch...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:03 pm

Good news!

Aguyao made the extra point!

7-3 Bolts!
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:23 pm

Alpha wrote:Wow.

After the 1st...Toronto is gonna be scary good in a few years. So damn fast. The Bolts are a damn fast team but the Leafs kids are ****ing "lightning" fast.

That said...3-0 after 1 for the good guys. Stammer is ridiculous. It seems as though our veteran team is out-thinking the kids from Toronto.

Would LOVE to see Kuch get off the schnide...and Drouin as well. He's playing within the team concept. Unfortunately...that isn't what he does best. They're essentially handcuffing him. Kinda strange to watch...

Sucks being a G and calling the shot.
Alpha

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 am

Hockey is the only sport where a guy can get his two front teeth knocked out and never miss a single second of game time.

As we wind on down the road, our shadow's taller than our soul
EastBayBucsFan

Next

Return to Other Sports