***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2016-17 NHL Season Threa

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:53 pm

Buc2 wrote:Speaking of Detroit, I read that this is the first time in 26 years they missed the playoffs. Dafuq!?! That was one hellava streak.

:(
Phantom Phenom

Postby Wharf Rat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Alpha wrote:Watched overtime against CHI tonight as I was closing the bar down. Down 4-1 and the Syracuse Lightning find a way to win. Un-fucking-believable.

That game was awesome! Amazing.

My wife bought us tickets to this Saturday's game, against Montreal, for my birthday. Should be a big game, can't wait.
Wharf Rat

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:52 pm

Wharf Rat wrote:
Alpha wrote:Watched overtime against CHI tonight as I was closing the bar down. Down 4-1 and the Syracuse Lightning find a way to win. Un-fucking-believable.

That game was awesome! Amazing.

My wife bought us tickets to this Saturday's game, against Montreal, for my birthday. Should be a big game, can't wait.

Enjoy!

Hopefully they take care of DET and the game means something.

And your wife is CLEARLY a sainted woman.

I can't take my girl to any more hockey games. She's a savage and almost gets me killed by opposing fans from talking ****.

SAD.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:53 pm

Buc2 wrote:Speaking of Detroit, I read that this is the first time in 26 years they missed the playoffs. Dafuq!?! That was one hellava streak.

One of the All-Time streaks in sports nobody knows about.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 am

Alpha wrote:
Kress wrote:What's funny is that I was listening to a guy on sports talk radio, and he said that the entire stadium stood up the second that puck hit his stick. Normally you might have 1 or 2 belligerent idiots stand up, but this time it was EVERYONE. You just saw it coming. :drinkingcheers:

As you know...local (TB area) sports talk radio is kind of lame (compared to other cities).

That said...we have two of the best RADIO PbP guys in the business. Deckerhoff for the Bucs and Mishkin for the Lightning.

If you out-of-towners ever get the chance, listen to the Lightning on the local station. Watch on tv and turn the (tv) sound down. Dave Mishkin and Phil Esposito (for home games) HAVE to be the best NHL radio guys EVER. Espo is ****ing HILARIOUS. He's Old Man Crazy. You can hear him in the background, saying things like, "Oh Jesus"..."What the hell are they DOING!?"

He just doesn't give a ****. He founded the team...what are they gonna do? He's 100 years old. **** 'em.

And Mishkin sounds like he's gonna blow his sphincter when the Bolts score.

Good stuff...

The thing I love about listening to Espo is that he's in the background, but you hear him yell something like that, because he sees it two seconds before you do. He knows what's going to happen.
Kress

Postby Wharf Rat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:49 am

Alpha wrote:Hopefully they take care of DET and the game means something.

That's what I'm hoping. And I just saw this article...

https://www.nhl.com/news/tampa-bays-ste ... -288219026

*fingers crossed*

And your wife is CLEARLY a sainted woman.

I think so too! She's so awesome. My wife and daughter enjoy the games as much as I do. The last game we went to, my daughter was easily the loudest fan in our section.

I can't take my girl to any more hockey games. She's a savage and almost gets me killed by opposing fans from talking ****.

SAD.

LMAO! That's hilarious.
Wharf Rat

Postby Rocker » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:35 pm

Thanks for playing, Detroit!
Rocker

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 am

Rocker wrote:Thanks for playing, Detroit!

Just watched the replay. I was smart enough to put on the hoops game at my bar.

Now Kucherov is sick? What in the holy **** does this team need to do to catch a break?

Thank God we were playing DET and not an actual good team. TB played hard. That's not always the case. The D was selling out on the offensive end...against a good team (MON), that will get us smoked but I suppose you gotta do what you gotta do when your 10 best offensive players are out.

It was nice to see Witkowski beat the **** out of Mantha for Mantha's bush-league fight from their last game. ***hole got what he deserved. And Mantha was out for the rest of the game to boot. I don't enjoy seeing players get injured but that **** deserved everything he got.

Drouin. Drouin is an animal. He does **** on the ice that you don't see every night. Coulda had an easy assist on the drop pass to Erne. Mrazek made a nice save...but that was Drouin in a nutshell. I get nervous when he has the puck...and I'm rooting for him! Imagine if you're the defender. It was pretty crazy how 3 DET players would try and surround him when he had the puck. Even on his goal...he out-skated 3 defenders just to get the shot off. They showed a lot of slow-mo when he had the puck and you just see the defense draw to him like a magnet.

It's gonna be fun next year to see this team with Point having a full year's experience. Our 3rd line is gonna look something like Point at C and Killorn and Callahan/Erne/Drouin.

IF we can stay relatively healthy...we gonna score a LOT of points.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 am

MON at home on Saturday.

This could be the game that puts us out of the playoff hunt.

Every game is a "must win" at this point but BOS, TOR and CAR are all winning...we go 6-0 and we make the playoffs.

God help us all. Thank God I'm working and don't have to watch the game live.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Alpha wrote:MON at home on Saturday.

This could be the game that puts us out of the playoff hunt.

Every game is a "must win" at this point but BOS, TOR and CAR are all winning...we go 6-0 and we make the playoffs.

God help us all. Thank God I'm working and don't have to watch the game live.

If I want to see it where I live, I'll have to go to B-Dubs.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Ottawa 92 points (41 wins)
Boston 92 points (43 wins)
Tampa 88 points (39 wins)

We have a brutal 3-game road trip — at Boston, at Toronto, at Montreal — then finish up at home against Buffalo.
Ottawa is home vs. Detroit, at Boston, home vs. Rangers, at Islanders to close it out.
And Boston has Tampa, Ottawa and Washington, all at home, left.

If we can beat Boston tonight, then see how things stand going into the Ottawa at Boston game on Thursday, we'll really know our fate then. Still, we basically have to win out. And it all starts with needing a regulation win over Boston tonight. Even an OT win tonight would probably make it impossible for us to make it b/c we'd still trail Boston by 3 points.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Here we go.

A regulation loss effectively ends the season.

Should be a fun game.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:55 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Ottawa 92 points (41 wins)
Boston 92 points (43 wins)
Tampa 88 points (39 wins)

We have a brutal 3-game road trip — at Boston, at Toronto, at Montreal — then finish up at home against Buffalo.
Ottawa is home vs. Detroit, at Boston, home vs. Rangers, at Islanders to close it out.
And Boston has Tampa, Ottawa and Washington, all at home, left.

If we can beat Boston tonight, then see how things stand going into the Ottawa at Boston game on Thursday, we'll really know our fate then. Still, we basically have to win out. And it all starts with needing a regulation win over Boston tonight. Even an OT win tonight would probably make it impossible for us to make it b/c we'd still trail Boston by 3 points.

Wouldn't it be classic to see us go 3-0 and then need a point against BUF to make the playoffs...only to lose.

Oh the huge manatee!!!

EDIT: We do have a game in hand against BOS. A OT win wouldn't end the season...but it would suck out loud.

After one...very tentative game. Marchand should've been ejected for the nut-shot on Dotchin. That was bush-league. Pretty even thus far. BOS is playing REALLY good D. Still waiting for our speed to show up but it looks like BOS is content to D out a point by any means necessary. And I don't blame them.

Vasy has hung tough. It just feels like we're gonna need to get lucky to win in regulation.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:49 pm

Good news!

They did eject Marchand!

Bad news!

We were outshot on our 5 min major and BOS kicked our ass in the 2nd. 2-0 BOS.

They have been the FAR superior team. We can't win a faceoff. We don't get quality SoG.

Vasy has been terrific. It seems EVERY save he makes is a quality chance by BOS.

Barring some miraculous 3rd period turnaround...this is it for the Bolts this year. Crazier things have happened but it doesn't look good.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Well that was fun.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Kress wrote:Well that was fun.

I'd rather take a hockey stick to the yam-sack.

Oh. Never mind.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 am

And that's all she wrote, Bolt fans. Had the Pens game on in the bar tonight. They went up 3-2 in the 3rd but pissed it away.

Congrats to the Leafs...they earned it.

I'll have a "State of the Lightning" address as we get closer to the expansion draft.

Next year should be...interesting.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Getting ready to watch the season finale.

Interesting aside...in the last 30 games, the Bolts have the 2nd best record in the NHL. Pretty impressive, considering the injuries, the rookies called up and the players lost at the trade deadline.

I guess the games in October and November count, huh.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:44 pm

For being a meaningless game, this is a good game. These guys give a crap after all.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Sucks to miss the playoffs by ONE point.

Wanna know why we missed the playoffs? It wasn't just b/c injuries or b/c of the bad start....

10/20 vs COL 0-4
12/08 vs VAN 1-5
12/16 vs VAN 2-4
01/21 vs ARI 3-5
03/21 vs ARI 3-5

We lost FIVE games to the THREE worst teams in the NHL. That's why we missed the playoffs. In a tight playoff race, you can't go 1-5-0 against the three worst teams and expect to make it. This really hurts looking back knowing if we would've just won one of those games, we're in.

Hopefully the Bolts heal up and get refreshed with a full offseason, then come back pissed off next year and just dominate the entire league en route to the Cup.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 am

pewterpirates wrote:Sucks to miss the playoffs by ONE point.

Wanna know why we missed the playoffs? It wasn't just b/c injuries or b/c of the bad start....

10/20 vs COL 0-4
12/08 vs VAN 1-5
12/16 vs VAN 2-4
01/21 vs ARI 3-5
03/21 vs ARI 3-5

We lost FIVE games to the THREE worst teams in the NHL. That's why we missed the playoffs. In a tight playoff race, you can't go 1-5-0 against the three worst teams and expect to make it. This really hurts looking back knowing if we would've just won one of those games, we're in.

Hopefully the Bolts heal up and get refreshed with a full offseason, then come back pissed off next year and just dominate the entire league en route to the Cup.

DEFINITELY contributing factors. no doubt. I vividly recall that last game against AZ. They kicked our ass like they were the defending SC Champs. It was a pathetic effort.

20-6-4 in their last 30 games. Honestly, I thought that would've been good enough to get us in. Give credit where it's due...TOR and BOS both played really well towards the end of the year. They both earned their spot(s). They didn't "back in" to the playoffs. The Bolts turned it on and just came up short.

I honestly believe you'll see this team come out on fire next year. And I agree...their first FULL off-season in 3 years should help a lot.

The off-season will be very interesting. Word on the street is that we could lose Dotchin in the expansion draft. I was thinking a young offenseman (Namestikov). I could live with that. Dotchin would hurt. Badly. We need that "old school", stay-at-home defenseman. He's young, to boot.

I trust Yzerman. I can't believe that we'll actually lose someone that he doesn't believe we can't afford to lose.

Opening next year with starting Centers of Stamkos, Johnson and Point wouldn't suck at all. 3 lines of offensive explosiveness. What happens with our D will be what intrigues me.

The expansion draft is coming soon. They are going to make the list of protected players public (originally, they weren't). We have guys who need extensions (mainly T. Johnson and Drouin). With Points play this year and our guys coming up, it'll be interesting to see what we do with Johnson.

I'm ordering my season tickets tomorrow. I think you'll see something special from this team...
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed May 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Congratulations Pens, you deserve it.... now go get cup again
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed May 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Report: Lightning expected to host 2018 NHL All-Star GamE
Phantom Phenom

Previous

Return to Other Sports