Official 2016 Olympic Games Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Official 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:15 am

Okay. I know the games don't start until August which is over 6 weeks away...AND over the last decade the media like to do this whole "Is the host country going to be ready? OMG They're not ready! OMG!" narrative.

But Damn, Rio...

http://gizmodo.com/brazil-just-shot-and-killed-its-own-olympic-mascot-1782414344
Brazil Just Shot and Killed Its Own Olympic Mascot

Here we go again: A jaguar that was brought out during an Olympic torch event earlier this week was shot and killed shortly afterward when it escaped its handlers. The local Games organizing committee is now investigating the incident, but animal welfare advocates say the big cat should never have been there in the first place.

The 17-year-old jaguar, named Juma, made an appearance at an event on Monday to commemorate the passing of the Olympic torch in Manus, the largest city in the Brazilian Amazon. She was photographed in chains alongside assault rifle-wielding soldiers and a runner holding a torch.

What the hell was a jaguar doing at an Olympic torch event, you ask? Well, a jaguar named Ginga happens to be the official mascot of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. The local Games organizing committee obviously thought it would be cute to trot out an actual jaguar for a public event—an idea that has now led to the death of an animal that had been raised in captivity since it was cub.

Add to that the paraolympian who was mugged this week, the reports of water quality...like floating trash where events like rowing will take place, the zika virus looming, and we haven't even gotten into the political stuff yet that always goes with the games.

The press may have finally stumbled into a games that will fit that narrative of an Olympic disaster.
Mountaineer Buc

Re: Official 2016 Olympic Games Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:21 am

How could so much be going wrong there? How many years did they have to prep for this?
PrimeMinister

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:37 am

PrimeMinister wrote:How could so much be going wrong there? How many years did they have to prep for this?

With Sochi it was crooked Russian Mobsters.
With Beijing it was overbearing communist cencorship
With Athens it was about construction costs and being ready.

The media does this crap all the time, but with Rio....I'm kinda believing it. If memory serves, London went off without a hitch and seems to be the exception to the rule.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:56 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:How could so much be going wrong there? How many years did they have to prep for this?

With Sochi it was crooked Russian Mobsters.
With Beijing it was overbearing communist cencorship
With Athens it was about construction costs and being ready.

The media does this crap all the time, but with Rio....I'm kinda believing it. If memory serves, London went off without a hitch and seems to be the exception to the rule.

I don't know what's not to believe. Rio has Zikka and poisonous/polluted water. Actual professional athletes are dropping out left and right, but most of these "Olympic" athletes don't have a real choice.
uscbucsfan

Postby RedLeader » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:13 am

Have you seen the videos of the purse snatching and street crime that goes on there... It's rampant. And In broad daylight...

My overall concern is.. Who's in charge of security there during these events?
RedLeader

Postby The Outsider » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:36 am

This is what happens when you try to treat shithole countries like they're first world. Brazil has no business hosting anything like the Olympics. Frankly, no countries outside of the US, Canada, Europe in general, Japan, China, Australia, and New Zealand really do.
The Outsider

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:55 am

The Outsider wrote:This is what happens when you try to treat shithole countries like they're first world. Brazil has no business hosting anything like the Olympics. Frankly, no countries outside of the US, Canada, Europe in general, Japan, China, Australia, and New Zealand really do.

I dunno. I'd get a kick out of seeing the games in Bangkok.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:45 am

The Outsider wrote:This is what happens when you try to treat shithole countries like they're first world. Brazil has no business hosting anything like the Olympics. Frankly, no countries outside of the US, Canada, Europe in general, Japan, China, Australia, and New Zealand really do.

+1

I hate how they do that with FIFA too.

They think they are doing the "poorer" countries a favor...but in the end they are costing those countries hundreds of millions of dollars. Brazil is going to lose a shitload on these games. But all the big wigs can pat themselves on the back thinking they did something nice for social engineering.
Zarniwoop

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:12 pm

Pffft. Just wait till the Kandahar games in 2024. That'll show you.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:

+1

They think they are doing the "poorer" countries a favor...but in the end they are costing those countries hundreds of millions of dollars. Brazil is going to lose a shitload on these games. But all the big wigs can pat themselves on the back thinking they did something nice for social engineering.

Yup, some of the stadiums that were built for the world cup have been outright abandonded and not being maintained, while others are being used for weddings and other small gatherings. It cost millions of dollars to build those stadiums.

I don't have as much of an issue with Rio getting the Olympics as Brasil getting the World Cup, since the Olympic games are based in a single city. But Brasil should have NOT been able to host the World Cup. The WC should be hosted by a country with an advanced infrastructure as Outsider referenced. That way tourists can safely and efficiently get from city to city.
DreadNaught

Postby Wesmon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 am

Zarniwoop wrote:

+1

It has absolutely nothing to do with granting favors to third world countries. It is all about payoffs and corruption, just like FIFA.

The Rio police are even warning people to stay away.

Wesmon

Postby NYBF » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:49 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I hate how they do that with FIFA too.

You really think that's how FIFA works?
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:34 am

Somebody tell Plinko I beat him to it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby NYBF » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:41 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Somebody tell Plinko I beat him to it.

It's not official until Plinko says it's official.
NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:26 pm

NYBF wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:Somebody tell Plinko I beat him to it.

It's not official until Plinko says it's official.

DAMMIT!
Mountaineer Buc

Return to Other Sports