Tampa Bay Lightning 2016 offseason thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: Tampa Bay Lightning 2016 offseason thread

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:46 pm

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
For the @TBLightning, Stamkos and Hedman will carry a combined cap hit of $16.375 mil per from 2017-18 through 2023-24 season. Tremendous.
pewterpirates

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:51 pm

Now that we got the two core franchise players(Hedman and Stamkos) signed, time to see what we can do from here. Both signed for less then predicted(Hell, Stamkos is only getting 1 mil more per season with this deal)...so that potentially leaves more room to sign either Johnson, Druion(Who now apparently wants to stay here :roll:), or Bishop.
Nano

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Nah, we can't keep Bishop. Unless they want to keep Bishop over Kuch, Killorn, Johnson, etc. Which I doubt. Bishop's contract would likely be fairly large. If we didn't have Vasy, then Bishop prolly would've been priority #3 behind Stamkos/Hedman. I still think we move Bishop sometime this offseason or at the trade deadline.

I think the next move Yzerman is working on will be Kucherov & possibly Killorn, who are both RFAs right now. Then turn his focus to getting ahead of the calendar on an extension with Drouin. That's just me guessing though.

'IN YZERMAN I TRUST'
pewterpirates

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:15 pm

I agree, I'd rather have the triplets then Bishop(as Vasily has alot of good potential). However, is Drouin really worth an extension yet? He played well at the end of last season, but what if he throws another tantrum again? For all his playoff goods, he did quit on us in the middle of the season.
Nano

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:33 pm

YZERMAN IS PUTTING IN SOME WORK!!!!!

Joe Smith on Twitter:
BREAKING: #tblightning has signed goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy to a three-year extension, $3.5 million per year. He had one more year left.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:50 pm

The Lightning will soon have to make a decision in net, with goalie Ben Bishop entering the final year of his deal and only one goalie allowed to be protected in next year's expansion draft.

And Tampa Bay has now made a strong commitment to Andrei Vasilevkiy, 21, signing him to a three-year extension Friday worth $3.5 million annually. Vasilevskiy has one year left on his deal at $925,000.

"He wanted to show Tampa that he's prepared to committ and let's see what happens," said Vasilevskiy's agent Rolly Hedges told the Times. "He just wanted to show what he can do, wanted to be part of the organization. He could have waited a year, but he wanted to show he's a team player."

Bishop has one year left on his deal at $5.95 million, and has been a subject of trade rumors.

I think the decision has already been made. Whether that means Bishop is traded or just walks in FA.

Joe Smith ‏@TBTimes_JSmith 5m5 minutes ago
Vasilevskiy's agent, Rolly Hedges, said there were no guarantees given by TB about expansion draft. Doesn't have a no-move clause.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 am

Stevie Y is DA MAN!

I like how our guys are buying in. Signing for less to be a part of a winner.

The next priority SHOULD be Kucherov. Even over Johnson. Kuch is 22 friggin years old! We have some Centers a year or 2 away from being promoted. I'm STILL expecting some kind of surprise trade...and I don't mean Bishop. He's gone. There is just NO POSSIBLE WAY to keep all of our studs, unless the cap expands ginormously. Yzerman will pull something out of the hat.

I don't trust Drouhin. I wouldn't extend him before next year. He's a prima donna, little bitch to me at this point. BUT he's young. Maybe he's learned a lesson from all of this bullshit. I'd give him a year to prove it. I also believe he isn't one to "buy-in" like our best vets have. He seems like the type that's in it for the money. I hope I'm wrong. Also...he's a winger, not a center. We've got wingers ready to promote shortly. Not quite as talented as Drouhin...but pretty ****ing good. Stevie Y should (and probably will) let him sweat it out...

Kind of amusing...the season hasn't even started and Yzerman is ALREADY GM of the year. LMFAO!
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:07 pm

pewterpirates

Postby Kress » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:25 am

Or re-sign.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:45 am

Kress wrote:Or re-sign.

Yes. I didn't make that meme. Just shared it.

It would suck if Kucherov resigned/retired.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:57 pm

Killer has re-signed.

The other show HAS to drop at some point. It just does. TJ or Kucherov. We have what...5 mil or so left under the cap?

I initially thought Johnson would be the trade bait...and he still may be...but as much as I'd hate to see him go...Kuch might be the one to go. He's a winger. TJ is a center. Easier to replace a winger. Drouin is a nice replacement for Kuch...and God knows what we'd net in return. A butt-load, I'd imagine. A 22 year-old, high point total winger? The haul in draft picks (we can't take on salary) should be HUGE.

I'm just not familiar enough with our minor league system to know who is more pro-ready; our centers or our wingers...

I'd trade Kuch for a top 6 Defensemen in a heartbeat...
Alpha

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:56 am

I believe Kuch will still be a RFA after this upcoming season. So even if another team offers him a contract we can't match we'll get draft pick compensation (related to the value of the offer sheet).

I hope we don't trade Kuch, keep him for this upcoming season and make another run at the cup. If we lose him next offseason and get some high draft picks for him than so be it.

It sucks to watch talent leave the team, but it's honestly a great problem to have when you have to pick and choose which of your talented core you can and can't re-sign.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:54 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I hope we don't trade Kuch, keep him for this upcoming season and make another run at the cup. If we lose him next offseason and get some high draft picks for him than so be it.

It sucks to watch talent leave the team, but it's honestly a great problem to have when you have to pick and choose which of your talented core you can and can't re-sign.

After Stamkos & Hedman, Kuch was #3 on my list in terms of our own guys' importance of keeping long term. I was surprised when they gave Killorn a 7-year deal. Would've expected something like that for Kuch. I hope we do everything we can to keep him.

To me, 91, 77, 86 & 88 should be the long-term core guys, with everyone else being "replaceable." I'd LOVE to keep the Triplets (especially Palat), but that's just not realistic. It will suck watching some of these guys leave, but better to watch a couple of them leave b/c we have so many good players than the opposite.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:19 am

So unless Yzerman can trade Bishop, Coburn and/or Filppula, we can't afford to re-sign Kucherov, right?

At last check, TB has $8.53M left in cap space. Also looking to re-sign Nesterov and Namestnikov, and while those guys won't command a large chunk, it'll lower our available cap space to less than ~$6M. And Kuch will likely get more than that, even if he takes a similar "team friendly" deal that Stamkos & Hedman took.

So here's hoping we get news soon of a Filppula or Coburn trade ASAP. I just don't know who would be willing to take on Filppula's contract considering his recent drop in play unless we include a pick or prospect.

Yzerman is in a tough spot right now in terms of retaining Kucherov — who I consider to be on the same level as Stamkos & Hedman. But Yzerman has worked magic so far. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:33 pm

pewterpirates wrote:So unless Yzerman can trade Bishop, Coburn and/or Filppula, we can't afford to re-sign Kucherov, right?

At last check, TB has $8.53M left in cap space. Also looking to re-sign Nesterov and Namestnikov, and while those guys won't command a large chunk, it'll lower our available cap space to less than ~$6M. And Kuch will likely get more than that, even if he takes a similar "team friendly" deal that Stamkos & Hedman took.

So here's hoping we get news soon of a Filppula or Coburn trade ASAP. I just don't know who would be willing to take on Filppula's contract considering his recent drop in play unless we include a pick or prospect.

Yzerman is in a tough spot right now in terms of retaining Kucherov — who I consider to be on the same level as Stamkos & Hedman. But Yzerman has worked magic so far. Can't wait to see what he comes up with next.

Trade Coburn? He's a top5 D-man on this team. Yeah...not worth his salary...but we need capable defensemen. And he is that.

The bigger problem is NEXT year. I read we're gonna have around 20 mil in cap space next year...but we have a LOT of guys to sign; Johnson. Drouin and others.

I trust Stevie Y. He'll do what he needs to do to make this team better. He'll do what he has to do.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:41 am

After this season, subtract Bishop from the salary talk. I think that this is his last rodeo in Tampa.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:29 am

Cresselia wrote:After this season, subtract Bishop from the salary talk. I think that this is his last rodeo in Tampa.

Frankly, I'd be surprised if he made it to the end of the season. A lot will depend on how the Bolts start the season (assuming he even makes it to the start of the season).

Up against the cap, it'll be interesting to see how Stevie Y plays this...
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:39 am

Vlady signs two year deal.
Rocker

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm

Rocker wrote:Vlady signs two year deal.

We have roughly a little over 6 mil in cap space, and we have Nesterov and Kucherov to sign...Bishop or someone else needs to free up cap space.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:03 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:
Rocker wrote:Vlady signs two year deal.

We have roughly a little over 6 mil in cap space, and we have Nesterov and Kucherov to sign...Bishop or someone else needs to free up cap space.

An article I read in the TBT this morning was suggesting that Filppula would be a good candidate to release. He's scheduled to make over $5M this season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:43 am

I read somewhere that, technically, Yzerman could sign Kuch & Nesterov while going a little over the cap...they just have to be under or at the cap when the season starts. Even recalled something about if Callahan isn't healthy, they could put him on the long-term injured reserve list.

Edit: Here it is, from the Times' Joe Smith...

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman's offseason couldn't have gone much better so far, especially with the re-signing of captain Steven Stamkos and locking up cornerstone defenseman Victor Hedman long-term.

But after avoiding arbitration with center Vladislav Namestnikov Tuesday - signing him to a two-year deal - Yzerman has one big item left on his to-do list.

Nikita Kucherov.

Kucherov, 23, one of the league's top young stars, is a restricted free agent, and is due a hefty raise from the $700,000 he made last season. He's coming off a 30-goal season, and another clutch playoff performance. Think of the Predators' six-year, $36 million deal with Filip Forsberg as an example.

Yzerman said Wednesday he remains confident the Lightning can sign Kucherov, though would not put a timeline on when it'd happen. Yzerman suggested it could take until the start of the season. Agent Scott Greenspun declined to comment on negotiations.

"We continue to communicate with his representation," Yzerman said. "And we expect to have him under contract to start the season."

The Lightning has roughly between $5-$6 million remaining cap space for next season, and still needs to sign Kucherov and fellow restricted free agent defenseman Nikita Nesterov. Yzerman said they'll have to eventually make a move before the season to become cap compliant, but doesn't need to make one before signing Kucherov and Nesterov. Yzerman said they have the room.

The fact the Lightning is in a cap crunch would seem to make it possible another team could give Kucherov an offer sheet, potentially driving up the price. Tampa Bay, of course, could match. There's no offer sheet believed to be on the table currently.

"We've got to be under the cap at some point," Yzerman said. "Depending on the health of players, Ryan Callahan had surgery and if he's not ready to to start the season, that buys us some time. We can do that (long-term injured reserve) if we need to. At some point, we're going to have to be cap compliant to start the season, there's no way around it."

Yzerman indicated that just because Kucherov isn't signed yet doesn't mean there's any snags in negotiations. "Every negotiation is different and some take longer than others," Yzerman said. "Sometimes they get done when they get done. You can't force it."

With Namestnikov signing, at a $1.93 million cap hit the next two seasons, it could open up the opportunity to try to deal veteran center Valtteri Filppula, who is due $5 million each of the next two seasons. Namestnikov is coming off a career-year with 14 goals and 21 assists, while bouncing up and down the lineup, alternating between center and wing.

Yzerman said eventually Namestnikov needs to settle into a more defined role and in his best position, up the middle. Dealing a center, like Filppula, would in theory create an opening on the third-line. Veteran Brian Boyle is under contract for one more season.

"(Namestnikov) pretty much became a regular in the lineup," Yzerman said. "He's very versatile. Ultimately we see his best position is in the middle, at center, but he can play in all positions and he has the ability to play on both special teams as well. We're pleased with the step he took last year, we expect him to continue with that. Eventually he will settle into a specific position with a more defined role on our team. I'm not going to give you a timeline or (say) it's going to happen today or a week from now, a month from now. It will all work itself out."

And so, apparently, will be the Kucherov contract.

Prolly the same article Buc2 read.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:37 pm

Ok Bolt fans...here's the latest and (not so) greatest:

Phil E. eats at my place with his daughter 2-3 times/month (he's not a drinker).

So he comes in for lunch today...I don't usually speak to him about the Lightning...but today I decided to say something. His response was interesting. I'm gonna be paraphrasing here but it's pretty damn accurate. Also...I don't know how tied in he is to the organization any longer (other than being the color guy on their radio broadcasts) so I'm ASSUMING he knows what he's talking about but can't verify that.

I said, "Mr. E...tell Stevie Y that we need to get Kuch on board...I'm getting nervous..."

He went BALLISTIC! LOL! If you've ever heard him do color commentary on the radio broadcasts, you know he says what he feels...he's not a "hold back" kind of guy...

HE WANTS 7 MILLION A YEAR! WE CAN'T DO THAT! IT'S UNREASONABLE AND UNFAIR!!! WE'RE GONNA HAVE TO TRADE SOMEBODY TO DO THAT!

And yes...he was yelling. He was seriously pissed. LOL! His reaction made me kind of wilt (I'm 47...it happens)...I wasn't expecting that.

We get Buc/Lightning players in pretty frequently (Akeem Spence and Mike Evans are regulars) and I try not to discuss their business with them so I couldn't speak to him like I'd met him on the street....but this doesn't bode well. Expect a trade of some sort. We can't pay him what he wants. We have Drouin. I wouldn't be shocked if We trade Kuch. I felt that way a month ago and after hearing Mr. E's reaction, something is gonna go down...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:27 am

Ben Bishop is one of my favorite players ever. But we really needed that trade to Calgary to happen. It would've solved this issue. But now that's off the table, I'm assuming we're just going to keep Bishop. I don't see anybody wanting to trade for Filppula or Callahan. So it seems we're screwed.

Not only do we have Kuch to worry about signing this year, but TJ, Palat and Drouin next year. Some moves are going to HAVE to happen to keep 2 of those 4 guys. It'll be interesting to see what Yzerman does.

I'd be surprised if we only manage to keep one of those 4 guys. If we had to pick between Kuch and Drouin, I'd pick Kuch 100 times out of 100.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:10 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Ben Bishop is one of my favorite players ever. But we really needed that trade to Calgary to happen. It would've solved this issue. But now that's off the table, I'm assuming we're just going to keep Bishop. I don't see anybody wanting to trade for Filppula or Callahan. So it seems we're screwed.

Not only do we have Kuch to worry about signing this year, but TJ, Palat and Drouin next year. Some moves are going to HAVE to happen to keep 2 of those 4 guys. It'll be interesting to see what Yzerman does.

I'd be surprised if we only manage to keep one of those 4 guys. If we had to pick between Kuch and Drouin, I'd pick Kuch 100 times out of 100.

I think our minor league system is gonna determine who gets traded. I'm somewhat familiar with Syracuse and who we have there...but I don't know who is ready to move up this year or NEXT. That answer will answer who is likely to get traded. I've seen speculation that Richard makes the Bolts THIS year. The thing is...Kuch is a problem NOW. Drouin is a problem NEXT year. I agree, if I had to choose, I'd take Kuch now and deal Drouin...but this year will tell the tale, I suppose.

Unless we completely **** the bed in the first half of the year, Bish is staying and will walk for nothing. I can live with that if it gives us a shot at the Cup. If we do **** the bed, a contender will pay us for Bish.

I'm not sure "screwed" is the right word. Cally was hurt bad last year. There is a reason why he was a C with the Rangers. He's tough as hell and we need him. When he's fully recovered, I think you'll see the better version of him. Don't judge based on last year. We won't get a bag of Doritos for Flip...unless we sweeten the deal.

Yzerman has been a magician, thus far. We can't expect to get EVERYTHING we want but I do believe he's gonna make chicken salad out of chicken ****. He's earned the benefit of the doubt...and then some.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:34 pm

Signed Nesterov to 1 year deal...now we have a little over 5 to get a deal done with kucherov...this needs to happen soon.
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:16 am

SixStringSamurai wrote:Signed Nesterov to 1 year deal...now we have a little over 5 to get a deal done with kucherov...this needs to happen soon.

Who's gonna blink first?

My guess is it wont be Yzerman.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:52 pm

You are probably right alpha and it's gonna cost us I think...I know dude is looking to get paid...we won't be able to match...this deal needs to happen soon!
SixStringSamurai

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:04 pm

My question is, why hasn't another team swooped in and signed Kuch to an offer sheet? If someone did that, it would really make things difficult. Someone could offer Kuch $6.5M or $7M per year, and we'd probably lose him.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 pm

pewterpirates wrote:My question is, why hasn't another team swooped in and signed Kuch to an offer sheet? If someone did that, it would really make things difficult. Someone could offer Kuch $6.5M or $7M per year, and we'd probably lose him.

That's a damn good question.

I'm assuming RFA works the same in the NHL as the NFL but I could be wrong there.

This team has FOUR potential 30 goal scorers this year. That is ABSURD.

The problem is cap space. Clearly. I could see us trading Drouin (he's the easiest to trade) BUT in that trade, the other team would have to take salary as well (Flip). If they won't, Yzerman won't do it.

The ONLY recourse Kuch has is to go back to Russia. I haven't seen any stories on his feeling about that option but if he doesn't sign a bridge deal, that's his ONLY other option.

Even if he does sign for 5 mil or so...next year we lose Drouin.

It just makes all kind of sense that we're trading Kuch or Drouin and Yzerman is just holding out for the best deal possible...

We have a week or two to find out, I suppose...
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:04 pm

I love some of the playmaking ability Drouin showed in the playoffs, but if it comes down to one or the other, I'm going Kucherov 100%. Like you said, package Drouin with Filppula to clear some cap space to re-sign Kuch and hopefully one of TJ or Palat next year.
pewterpirates

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports