Tampa Bay Lightning 2016 offseason thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Tampa Bay Lightning 2016 offseason thread

Postby pewterpirates » Tue May 31, 2016 11:10 am

After a run to the Stanley Cup Finals a year ago and being one game away from back-to-back Eastern Conference championships this year, this offseason will likely be a huge couple of months in terms of the future of our Bolts. So many decisions to make on free agents and soon-to-be free agents. The future of this franchise is in great hands with Yzerman, but he has a great deal of tough choices and decisions to make.

The headliner here, obviously, is Steven Stamkos. He's an UFA right now. Obviously, a lot on how the rest of Yzerman handles upcoming free agents has to do with where things end up with Stammer.

In addition to #91, J.T. Brown, Alex Killorn, Nikita Kucherov, Cedric Paquette, Braydon Coburn and Nikita Nesterov are all restricted free agents this offseason.

Looking ahead at next year, Brian Boyle (UFA), Jonathan Drouin (RFA), Tyler Johnson (RFA), Ondrej Palat (RFA), Victor Hedman (UFA), Andrej Sustr (RFA), Ben Bishop (UFA) and Andrei Vasilevskiy (UFA) are all free agents.

So, yeah, Yzerman and the Bolts are going to be busy this offseason. And, you think the first domino that has to fall is Stamkos with Bishop's status another big piece. Also, how will expansion affect our plans, if at all?

How do you think this plays out? How do you hope it plays out? Which players do you think Yzerman HAS to bring back and lock up for the foreseeable future?

I'm far from an expert on NHL offseason/salary cap/free agency/etc, so feel free to correct any mistakes I made.
pewterpirates

Re: Tampa Bay Lightning 2016 offseason thread

Postby Kress » Tue May 31, 2016 2:03 pm

My preference would be to lose Stamkos and trade Bishop for a big haul, but I think that he has a no move clause so that may not be possible. We have to ditch salary somewhere, though.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm

As great of a player Stamkos is, I think the best thing is to let someone else overpay for him. That will allow us to keep the rest of our core. If we overpay for Stamkos, might as well say goodbye to Kuch, Palat, Killorn, etc.

Stamkos is great, but if you have to pay $11M+ to keep him, that money could be better used to keep our core together. They proved they can win without Stamkos. If you overpay to keep Stamkos and lose 3-4 of our core guys, what's to say we don't fall back some?
pewterpirates

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:10 am

I agree with you and Kress on Stamkos. Love the guy, but he shouldn't be given a contract that causes issues with keeping other, equally important players. Like you said, they can win without him and have proven as much. Yzerman isn't stupid, so I'm confident he will make the best decision for the future of this team.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:47 am

To me, I'm more intrigued on what happens with Bishop. Vasy is obviously our goalie of the future. But for now, and the next couple of years, I think Bishop gives us our best chance of winning. For some reason, the team simply plays better in front of Bishop than it does Vasy. Some of it has to do with Bishop's ability to handle and pass the puck — it's almost like having another defenseman out there — but that can only be the reason to a certain extent. Any time Vasy moves out of net to play the puck, it feels like a disaster waiting to happen. Obviously, he's only 21 years old and will hopefully improve that aspect of his game.

But I'm curious what we do with Bishop. Do we give him a short contract extension? Does he just play this last year out and we lose him in FA while handing the reins over to Vasy? Do we trade Bish? Do we lose him if expansion happens?
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:47 pm

Red Wings to join the Stamkos sweepstake
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Red Wings to join the Stamkos sweepstake

Stamkos going to Detroit would honestly make me more sick than him going to Toronto...
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Even though this would suck, I think our best option for the future of the franchise would be to trade Bishop this offseason. He's going to be an UFA after next year, and considering all of the pending FAs we'll have the next 2 years along with Vasy, we won't be able to afford to keep him. Also, with the NHL moving ahead with expansion in LV, we may lose him anyways. So better to trade him now for a nice package instead of losing him for nothing.

Do ya'll think Stamkos' free agency will be a long ordeal or will it happen pretty quickly?
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:21 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:22 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Even though this would suck, I think our best option for the future of the franchise would be to trade Bishop this offseason. He's going to be an UFA after next year, and considering all of the pending FAs we'll have the next 2 years along with Vasy, we won't be able to afford to keep him. Also, with the NHL moving ahead with expansion in LV, we may lose him anyways. So better to trade him now for a nice package instead of losing him for nothing.

The expansion draft is going to be a ****er. From what I've heard, Bish has a no-move clause. That creates a problem. Although, he would probably waive it if somebody throws a ton of cash at him, but you know..... And of course there is still Stammer. We are going to have a whole different team next year.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:11 pm

Saw on Twitter that Buffalo might offer $12M per year over 7 years. I like Stamkos, but that's high.

If he wants to go where the money is, fine. But he won't win a Cup in Buffalo...not to mention he's trading in the Florida sunshine for Buffalo snow (I know he's from somewhere near Toronto but you get the point).
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:02 pm

There are reports on Twitter that STAMKOS IS STAYING IN TAMPA BAY!!!!
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:06 pm

Damn, was hoping Red Wings sign him.

Congrats
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:09 pm

Bob McKenzie

Twitter › TSNBobMcKenzieCancel the Stamkos Sweepstakes, he has decided to return to the Tampa Bay Lightning. #TSN9 mins ago - Twitter

SportsCentre

Twitter › SportsCentreJUST IN: As per @TSNBobMcKenzie, @RealStamkos91 staying with the @TBLightning #TSNHockey7 mins ago - Twitter

**620 WDAE**

Twitter › 620wdaeREPORT: @RealStamkos91 #Stamkos Staying In Tampa Bay (Per @TSNBobMcKenzie)620wdae.iheart.com/o…5 mins ago - Twitter

Paul Wheeler

Twitter › fourthlinewingOh yeah...and Stamkos is staying in Tampa apparently, too. Basically, the NHL has just nuked Canada.
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago
Stamkos's deal with TB is expected to come in at eight years, with an AAV of $8.5M.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:14 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago
Stamkos's deal with TB is expected to come in at eight years, with an AAV of $8.5M.

Only 8.5? Thats low
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:17 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m2 minutes ago

Only 8.5? Thats low

There were reports of $12+M per year being thrown around for some teams. Guess winning truly is one of Stammer's top priorities. That and he's probably happy in Tampa.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

Only 8.5? Thats low

There were reports of $12+M per year being thrown around for some teams. Guess winning truly is one of Stammer's top priorities. That and he's probably happy in Tampa.

There's a twitter that Tampa Bay will sign and trade him to Maple Leafs? Idk
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

There's a twitter that Tampa Bay will sign and trade him to Maple Leafs? Idk

I haven't seen that from any reputable source. If that were the case, that's what the initial reports would have been. You don't report "Stamkos agrees to re-sign in Tampa Bay for $8.5M per year over 8 years." It would've been "Lightning agree to Sign & Trade deal for Stamkos to Toronto"
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:43 pm

No-move clause on Stamkos deal. .... reportedly
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:48 pm

$8.5M a year is a good deal compared to some reported offers.

But I wonder how this affects us with retaining our other guys. This surely means Bishop is a goner, but he was likely a goner anyways with expansion draft.

To me, in addition to Stamkos, as long as we keep Hedman, Kucherov and Vasy, we'll be fine. Would also prefer to keep TJ and Killorn around. Everyone else is basically replaceable.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:01 pm

Personally...I'm thrilled to have Stammer back. He's our captain. He'll retire as the Bolts all-time leading scorer and will never have to buy another drink in this city again. He didn't bitch out like St. Louis. IF he can bring us another cup, he'll surpass Andrychuck (?) and LeCavellier (? ****ing Frenchie-names) and will have a statue in front of Amalie.

As DUImeg said this afternoon...it was a fair price; especially when you consider cost of living and taxes...he didn't give us a discount. We payed market value. We didn't over-pay. AND he went to the team that had the best chance of winning a cup IMMEDIATELY. IF some team were REALLY blowing the doors off with an offer, he'd be gone....so the (alleged) 12 mil/year+ offers, I believe are false.

All that said...this team is loaded. Especially on offense. We can't keep everyone. Factor in the minor-leaguers that are about ready to move up (Pointe/Erne, etc.) there are guys that are gonna be gone that are good players and valuable to this team. Bish is GONE. That is a lock. We'll probably have to take less than market value but Yzerman has done NOTHING but prove he is a ****ing wizard as a GM. He'll get the best deal possible...and it'll probably be shockingly good. Guys like Fillpula and Killorn will probably be gone (and I LOVE Killorn). Marchessault (who I also really like) is probably done here as well. And it wouldn't shock me if we trade a very good player out of the blue (think Tyler Johnson). We just can't keep every good player and Stevie Y will do what he has to do to benefit this team.

Our FO has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making moves and who stays vs. who goes. We have a great owner, great FO, great arena, great fan support...Tampa Bay hasn't had this kind of franchise in a long, LONG time. If ever.

IF we can keep Hedman and Kuch, I'll be more than satisfied. HOPEFULLY, the cap increases significantly over the next couple of years...but when you're as stocked as this team is...some significant losses are inevitable.

This team will be contenders for a very long time.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:05 am

Yay!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:37 am

Alpha wrote:Personally...I'm thrilled to have Stammer back. He's our captain. He'll retire as the Bolts all-time leading scorer and will never have to buy another drink in this city again. He didn't bitch out like St. Louis. IF he can bring us another cup, he'll surpass Andrychuck (?) and LeCavellier (? ****ing Frenchie-names) and will have a statue in front of Amalie.

As DUImeg said this afternoon...it was a fair price; especially when you consider cost of living and taxes...he didn't give us a discount. We payed market value. We didn't over-pay. AND he went to the team that had the best chance of winning a cup IMMEDIATELY. IF some team were REALLY blowing the doors off with an offer, he'd be gone....so the (alleged) 12 mil/year+ offers, I believe are false.

All that said...this team is loaded. Especially on offense. We can't keep everyone. Factor in the minor-leaguers that are about ready to move up (Pointe/Erne, etc.) there are guys that are gonna be gone that are good players and valuable to this team. Bish is GONE. That is a lock. We'll probably have to take less than market value but Yzerman has done NOTHING but prove he is a ****ing wizard as a GM. He'll get the best deal possible...and it'll probably be shockingly good. Guys like Fillpula and Killorn will probably be gone (and I LOVE Killorn). Marchessault (who I also really like) is probably done here as well. And it wouldn't shock me if we trade a very good player out of the blue (think Tyler Johnson). We just can't keep every good player and Stevie Y will do what he has to do to benefit this team.

Our FO has earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making moves and who stays vs. who goes. We have a great owner, great FO, great arena, great fan support...Tampa Bay hasn't had this kind of franchise in a long, LONG time. If ever.

IF we can keep Hedman and Kuch, I'll be more than satisfied. HOPEFULLY, the cap increases significantly over the next couple of years...but when you're as stocked as this team is...some significant losses are inevitable.

This team will be contenders for a very long time.

Well said. You're right in that the front office/Yzerman have earned the benefit of the doubt over the last few seasons with how they've built this thing up.

Bishop is definitely gone. And as much as I LOVE that guy, it's the right move. Question is when do they move him? This offseason? Or do they wait until the deadline?

Like I said a couple posts ago, if we can re-sign Hedman and Kucherov (while also retaining Vasy), then we'll have four franchise-caliber pieces that a lot of teams struggle to find. If there was a way to also keep 1 of Johnson & Killorn, that would be a dream, but it's going to be tough. Stamkos, Hedman, Kuch, Drouin & Vasy should be the priorities and cornerstones of this franchise for the next 5+ years.

My hope is guys like Hedman, Kuch and Killorn follow Stamkos' example. Stamkos could've went for a bigger pay day, but he wanted to stay here. Yes, we paid "Market value" but there were still larger offers on the table (tax issue included). If the others would sacrifice just a LITTLE, that would go a long ways. Someone reported that Stamkos and Hedman have talked about this; taking a little less to stay together and build something special. I certainly hope that's the case.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:20 am

Stevie Y will trade Bish when he gets the best deal. He's proven to be a smart and patient GM. There is saying many Ravens fans have when referencing their GM Ozzie Newsome "In Ozzie we Trust", which comes from a great track record. Imho should probably apply that to Yzerman (not saying they don't already).

It will suck to lose Bish, he's a great goalie. But it's business and our GM likely won't let either Vasy/Bish get away for nothing.
DreadNaught

Postby Alpha » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:15 am

DreadNaught wrote:Stevie Y will trade Bish when he gets the best deal. He's proven to be a smart and patient GM. There is saying many Ravens fans have when referencing their GM Ozzie Newsome "In Ozzie we Trust", which comes from a great track record. Imho should probably apply that to Yzerman (not saying they don't already).

It will suck to lose Bish, he's a great goalie. But it's business and our GM likely won't let either Vasy/Bish get away for nothing.

It's not ENTIRELY unlikely that we keep Bish this year and lose him next year for nothing. I just suspect Yzerman works something out, Bish has a no-trade clause...I just see Dallas as a perfect partner. Us being up against the cap sucks...but Dallas could use him and we could get draft picks in exchange.

Yzerman is a ninja. He'll get us what we need.
Alpha

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:49 am

Alpha wrote:It's not ENTIRELY unlikely that we keep Bish this year and lose him next year for nothing. I just suspect Yzerman works something out, Bish has a no-trade clause...I just see Dallas as a perfect partner. Us being up against the cap sucks...but Dallas could use him and we could get draft picks in exchange.

Yzerman is a ninja. He'll get us what we need.

I think Bishop would waive his NTC if he has a chance to go be the undisputed guy in a great situation like Dallas.

I think the only thing holding up that Dallas trade is the Stars want to send one of Lehtonen or Niemi back in the deal. I've heard that Dallas will pay like 50-60% of their contract, but we don't need a goalie in return, and we especially dont need to take on ANY of their goalie's contract, even if it is just 40%.

If I'm the Stars, though, I make that trade. Goalie was a glaring weakness for the Stars last year. Adding Bishop could get them over the hump. (They also need defensemen, but goalie was an issue as well. I live near Dallas & watch a lot of Stars). And as a Bolts fan, I'd obviously rather trade him to the West.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Victor Hedman just tweeted this:

Couldn't be more excited to stay in Tampa for another 8 years! Let's do this..

That came out of nowhere. No one was reporting this. Nothing. Just straight from Hedman.

I HOPE AND PRAY IT'S TRUE THOUGH, because if so, holy cow! Yzerman is going to WORK.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Via Pierre LeBrun:
Tampa Bay Lightning announce Victor Hedman has signed an 8-year extension worth $7.875 M per season
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:36 pm

PARTY IN TAMPAAA!!!!

Stamkos AND Hedman locked up for 8 more years. And both took less than they could've gotten in free agency. Amazing!!!!
pewterpirates

Next

Return to Other Sports