**************OFFICIAL Lighting Playoffs Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **************OFFICIAL Lighting Playoffs Thread

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 12:19 pm

Anyway, Any word on ben bishop ?
Phantom Phenom

Postby pewterpirates » Tue May 24, 2016 12:47 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Anyway, Any word on ben bishop ?

He skated and faced a few shots in net this morning but still not there yet. Doubt he'd be able to go if the Pens force game 7.

Gotta hope we win tonight and give him a few extra days to be ready to go for GM1 of the Stanley Cup Finals.
pewterpirates

Postby Wenchy » Tue May 24, 2016 1:36 pm

I have a friend who has two tickets for sale for tonight, because she's not going to be able to go. Section 126, row E. If you're interested in them, message me and I'll get your info for her.

NVM, she sold them.
Last edited by Wenchy on Tue May 24, 2016 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenchy

Postby Kress » Tue May 24, 2016 2:19 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:First and foremost, hats off to the Lightning. This has been a hell of a series and is essentially what I expected. Nothing like playoff hockey to shave years off your life.

As a fan, Sunday's loss was devastating. Vasilevskiy's save on Kessel that would've made the game 3-0 was unreal. Then the Bolts score 2 quick goals and it's all tied up. Tampa grinding it out after what looked to be a tying goal, just to come back and tie it on a wraparound to keep the game alive. That hurt. But that overtime goal. Damn. What looked like an easy enough save and to watch it redirect off Johnson....that ****ing sucked. Plain and simple.

That's a few firsts in a while. First time the team with the first goal didn't win in this series. First time the Pens have lost back to back games since January. First time all season the Pens have lost after being up 2-0.

Now, if anyone is counting the Penguins out, you having been paying attention to this series. These posts of "score 2 goals and it's over" - when has this been the case? Neither team has been able to protect a lead very well. Two games ago the Lightning were up 4-0 and were able to hold off the Pens in the third, but not before Pittsburgh made it 4-3. Leads aren't safe in the playoffs, not with these two caliber of teams. Pittsburgh will bring everything they have tonight. They have to. There is no tomorrow for them if they lose. Any prediction is the biggest crap shoot right now because this series has just gone back and forth the entire time. So to say a team will fold and not bring everything they have tonight is laughable.

No matter what happens tonight, it's been a fun ride. I hope to see a Game 7, but I've prepared myself in the chance that doesn't happen. I couldn't envision the team making a run this deep in the playoffs back in December. It was looking like they were going to miss the playoffs period. Needless to say, this series has been the most entertaining one so far.

Good luck tonight, and I hope for some clean, injury free hockey and a hell of a game.

See you at Game 7 (hopefully).

Nice post, except for the last line. #@%& that. END IT BOLTS!
Kress

Postby Jessie's Girl » Tue May 24, 2016 3:57 pm

IS it game time yet?!!!!!!!!

Jessie's Girl

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 6:04 pm

Lightning looking to become 2nd tm in last 30 yrs to reach Stanley Cup finals in the yr after losing in the finals pic.twitter.com/iNg17Advx8 29m
Phantom Phenom

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue May 24, 2016 8:07 pm

What? That stat makes no sense lol
SixStringSamurai

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 8:34 pm

Motherfucker
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue May 24, 2016 8:43 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:What? That stat makes no sense lol

It makes perfect sense
Bootz2004

Postby Jessie's Girl » Tue May 24, 2016 9:00 pm

:cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
Jessie's Girl

Postby Rocker » Tue May 24, 2016 9:02 pm

Seems to me that the overturned goal took the emotion right out of our boys.

Letang has been a real ***hole in the passing lanes as well.

Here's hoping we look a lot better on Thursday.
Rocker

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue May 24, 2016 9:04 pm

Game 7 we got this...we should have had it tonight
SixStringSamurai

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:05 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Game 7 we got this...we should have had it tonight

Not if you don't have Ben Bishop back as the goalie

I trust Bishop more than Valsky
Phantom Phenom

Postby The Bad Guy » Tue May 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:What? That stat makes no sense lol

It makes perfect sense

Just presented in an abnormal way. Usually you'd see the stat based off the last time it happened. "Lightning looking to be second team since 2009" would make more sense. Instead they cut it off the year before the Oilers did it. Saying they'd be the third team in 32 years doesn't take anything away from it in my opinion. That's ESPN for you. Surprised they mentioned hockey.

Had a nice opportunity to mention the Penguins were the last team to do it as well, losing to the Red Wings in 08 and beating them in 09. **** you Hossa.
Last edited by The Bad Guy on Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bad Guy

Postby The Bad Guy » Tue May 24, 2016 9:15 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:Game 7 we got this...we should have had it tonight

Not if you don't have Ben Bishop back as the goalie

I trust Bishop more than Valsky

Of course Bishop is better. But to say they can't win without him? C'mon. They haven't even lost Game 6 yet.

Ask any Pens fan that's realistic about hockey: although we're feeling good right now, we know this game isn't over. Tanger gets that pass to Fehr, I probably say it's done.

Lightning get a quick one on the board, grind away the rest of the game for a second, pull Vasy if it comes to it. Anything can happen.
The Bad Guy

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue May 24, 2016 9:16 pm

We either win tonight or we win game 7...dont freak out
SixStringSamurai

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Boyle!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Rocker » Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Boyle!
Rocker

Postby Rocker » Tue May 24, 2016 9:41 pm

Rocker wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Boyle!
Rocker

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:43 pm

Rocker wrote:
Rocker wrote:

Wow Boyle again?! Holy ****
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm

Headman save Valsy neck

Damnnn
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 24, 2016 9:53 pm

Alright..

It's do or die in game 7
Phantom Phenom

Postby SixStringSamurai » Tue May 24, 2016 10:11 pm

Can someone just tell me that we are going to win...please?
SixStringSamurai

Postby The Bad Guy » Tue May 24, 2016 11:45 pm

Yes you said it would be huge if the Bolts scored first. I agree with that. It was the follow up "Score quick then strike twice, and we'll cruise to victory." After 6 games, everyone should be able to agree that there is no "cruising to victory" in this series. That was my point. Someone else also mentioned if the Pens went down early, they'd give up. There is no giving up in playoff hockey. There's no such thing. There may be getting outplayed, but there is no giving up.

This game was interesting to say the least. Drouin scoring the first goal, only to have it be called back on an offside, was huge. That arena was going crazy and the ice definitely would have tilted. Instead, it gets called back and the Lightning take a bad penalty when they were already down a man. That set up the Kessel goal. Not much you can do there if you're Vasy. 5 on 3 with Malkin, Sid and Kessel all involved. Tip your cap, move on.

Sheary getting the assist on the Letang goal was big. Nice to see the youngster come out with some pep in his stride after being a healthy scratch last game. He also had the shot that almost went in but hit the post. The Bennett switch was short lived, as it should have been. Sheary is young, but he plays much better in transition with Crosby. I believe it was Johnson that had a chance late in the second (?) that rang one off the post for the Lightning. Both teams getting a few opportunities that didn't come through.

The takeaway in the neutral zone and Sid just having his way is why he is who he is. He has times where he takes over games and shows why he's one of the best in the world. Ever since he scored in that OT game, he's been on fire. They mentioned he's scored 3 goals this series and all 3 have been the game winners. Crazy. Still amazed by the "he should take note of Drouin's work ethic." You don't call out guys like that. Then again, Roenick has always been a bit biased against the Pens. Not surprised there.

However, this is the Eastern Conference Finals. I alluded to the fact the Lightning could be right back in it if the they could score early. They had one opportunity that didn't come through. The Penguins have been excelling at blocking shots as of late, unfortunately this time it bit them in the ass as Kessel knocks the puck in to his own net. A few minutes later, Boyle gets a pass and launches a nice shot at Murray that finds the back of the net. Old man Cullen managed to block Murray's view on that shot, but that's hockey. Same thing can be said on the other end of the ice on the Letang goal.

So bam. 9 minutes left and we have a one goal game. Lightning gave it theirall. They kept pinching down and keeping the puck alive in their offensive zone. Eventually that sealed the win as Kunitz was able to find Rust on a breakaway. That was when I finally was able to breathe again.

This series has been so much fun to watch. True hockey fans have gained a respect for both of the opposing teams, if they didn't have it already. You'll have your typical fans on both side saying "we got robbed", "if this had happened, it would be different", "the refs were biased", etc. Guess what? That's hockey. I tend to ignore those fans. I like real hockey discussion and respect the game and the players. I will admit, there are teams I despise (Flyers), but I love a good rivalry (Capitals). It brings out the best in all players. As a fan, that's what you want. The best versus the best.

Best of 7 comes down to best of 1. Who wants it more? Someone's headed to the Stanley Cup Finals Thursday night. I cannot wait! See you then ladies and gents.
The Bad Guy

Postby Kress » Wed May 25, 2016 9:26 am

My bet: Whoever wins tomorrow, wins the Cup.
Kress

Postby Super K » Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 am

As I stated before, not a big hockey guy but the Bolts execution after pulling the goalie last night was the worst I've ever seen..

Couldn't even get the puck out of their own zone with a man advantage...

Beat that Pens ass tomorrow night!
Super K

Postby pewterpirates » Wed May 25, 2016 10:11 am

Kress wrote:My bet: Whoever wins tomorrow, wins the Cup.

That was my feeling as soon as the Conference Finals were set up. I'd take the Pens/Bolts to beat either the Blues/Sharks.

Having that goal taken away on that agonizingly close offsides was brutal. Like The Bad Guy said, Amalie Arena was rocking and who knows how things would've played out from there, because the Bolts were flying around early. Then it was all taken away and things went dead. Sucks how Drouin's skate being 2 inches off the ice was the difference.

The refs were the last thing to decide that game, but it was frustrating that they missed the delay of game on Murray when he cleared the puck straight into the net out of play, and then they called that bogus penalty on Stralman a few seconds later. We very easily could've been on a PP, but instead we were on a PK, then Hedman got called for delay trying to clear the puck, and Pitt scores on that 5 on 3. Again, the refs didn't affect the outcome, but that was obviously a delay on Murray and a bad call on Stralman, and those two things led to a 1-0 Pitt lead. Even Stan Fischler, a noted TB hater, tweeted those were bad calls.

If we're being honest here....I'm amazed that we're even in a game 7. If you take a step back from viewing things as a Bolts fan and look at how this series has gone, if you look at all of the numbers, you'd think the Penguins would've won this series in 5 games. Somehow, Pitt has dominated all but one game in this series, and in that one game they almost overcame a 4-0 deficit in one period. The Bolts, to their credit, have found ways to win despite being consistently outplayed. The Pens have almost 150 more shots on goal than the Bolts. It's hard to win a series like that.

Pitt's forecheck has been better than the Bolts' offensive push for crying out loud. Like I said before game 5, the Bolts use so much energy and time just getting the puck to neutral ice.

Cooper and co. better come up with something for game 7 or I fear we could get blown off the ice like 5-0. Edit: Conversely, thinking level-headed, this series has been soooooo wacky, the Bolts could win 5-0. But going back to how Pitt has dominated this series, I still give Pens the edge.
pewterpirates

Postby Kress » Wed May 25, 2016 10:47 am

Yeah, I don't think anyone could debate that Pitt has been better. But here we are. One game. Any given Thursday.
Kress

Postby Jessie's Girl » Wed May 25, 2016 1:07 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:Yes you said it would be huge if the Bolts scored first. I agree with that. It was the follow up "Score quick then strike twice, and we'll cruise to victory." After 6 games, everyone should be able to agree that there is no "cruising to victory" in this series. That was my point. Someone else also mentioned if the Pens went down early, they'd give up. There is no giving up in playoff hockey. There's no such thing. There may be getting outplayed, but there is no giving up.

This game was interesting to say the least. Drouin scoring the first goal, only to have it be called back on an offside, was huge. That arena was going crazy and the ice definitely would have tilted. Instead, it gets called back and the Lightning take a bad penalty when they were already down a man. That set up the Kessel goal. Not much you can do there if you're Vasy. 5 on 3 with Malkin, Sid and Kessel all involved. Tip your cap, move on.

Sheary getting the assist on the Letang goal was big. Nice to see the youngster come out with some pep in his stride after being a healthy scratch last game. He also had the shot that almost went in but hit the post. The Bennett switch was short lived, as it should have been. Sheary is young, but he plays much better in transition with Crosby. I believe it was Johnson that had a chance late in the second (?) that rang one off the post for the Lightning. Both teams getting a few opportunities that didn't come through.

The takeaway in the neutral zone and Sid just having his way is why he is who he is. He has times where he takes over games and shows why he's one of the best in the world. Ever since he scored in that OT game, he's been on fire. They mentioned he's scored 3 goals this series and all 3 have been the game winners. Crazy. Still amazed by the "he should take note of Drouin's work ethic." You don't call out guys like that. Then again, Roenick has always been a bit biased against the Pens. Not surprised there.

However, this is the Eastern Conference Finals. I alluded to the fact the Lightning could be right back in it if the they could score early. They had one opportunity that didn't come through. The Penguins have been excelling at blocking shots as of late, unfortunately this time it bit them in the ass as Kessel knocks the puck in to his own net. A few minutes later, Boyle gets a pass and launches a nice shot at Murray that finds the back of the net. Old man Cullen managed to block Murray's view on that shot, but that's hockey. Same thing can be said on the other end of the ice on the Letang goal.

So bam. 9 minutes left and we have a one goal game. Lightning gave it theirall. They kept pinching down and keeping the puck alive in their offensive zone. Eventually that sealed the win as Kunitz was able to find Rust on a breakaway. That was when I finally was able to breathe again.

This series has been so much fun to watch. True hockey fans have gained a respect for both of the opposing teams, if they didn't have it already. You'll have your typical fans on both side saying "we got robbed", "if this had happened, it would be different", "the refs were biased", etc. Guess what? That's hockey. I tend to ignore those fans. I like real hockey discussion and respect the game and the players. I will admit, there are teams I despise (Flyers), but I love a good rivalry (Capitals). It brings out the best in all players. As a fan, that's what you want. The best versus the best.

Best of 7 comes down to best of 1. Who wants it more? Someone's headed to the Stanley Cup Finals Thursday night. I cannot wait! See you then ladies and gents.

I've enjoyed reading your posts...at least we have one more game! :D

Of course, I am hoping the Lightning come out with the win; been following them since their days playing at the Fairgrounds. It has been a very exciting and nerve-racking series!!

Until Thursday.... :drinkingcheers:
Jessie's Girl

Postby The Bad Guy » Wed May 25, 2016 3:40 pm

pewterpirates wrote:it was frustrating that they missed the delay of game on Murray when he cleared the puck straight into the net out of play, and then they called that bogus penalty on Stralman a few seconds later.

I must have missed this? Did this happen right before the interference call? I'm trying to go back and see if I can find it / any mentions about it because I didn't see it while watching the game. Not going to change anything, just curious. A lot of my friends are reporters for Pittsburgh sports or just die hard Yinzers and no one said a word about it. They're pretty good about mentioning when we get away with something.

Just flipped through the Lightning section of HOF and didn't see anything. Hoping the game is uploaded to YouTube so I can go back and watch.

Until then, I'll take your word for it.

pewterpirates wrote:That was my feeling as soon as the Conference Finals were set up. I'd take the Pens/Bolts to beat either the Blues/Sharks.

The West just play different hockey. I want no part of that Sharks Powerplay, it's unreal. Although the Blues are defensively sound, I think the Pens/Lightning match up better with them just because of the Easts speed. Nothing will be easy, and I don't usually like looking ahead. However, just in terms of West/East, I think both teams should pray for the Blues.

West have produced 5 out of the last 6 Stanley Cup champions.
Last edited by The Bad Guy on Thu May 26, 2016 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Bad Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports