** Official MLB Thread **

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ** Official MLB Thread **

Postby Citizen Erased » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:36 am

Forgot about this thread for a little bit but I have to say, I am totally stoked to have Greinke here in AZ! This team needed an ace. One of the best offenses, and one of the best defenses. Just missing the pitching and we filled (partially) that hole. If we can grab another strong starter this team will be the team to beat in the NL west.
Citizen Erased

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 pm

Zobrist back with Madden

Cubs signed him .. 4 year 56 million

Wow

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14324 ... cid=espnfb
Crocaneers

Postby The Bad Guy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:13 pm

Citizen Erased wrote:Forgot about this thread for a little bit but I have to say, I am totally stoked to have Greinke here in AZ! This team needed an ace. One of the best offenses, and one of the best defenses. Just missing the pitching and we filled (partially) that hole. If we can grab another strong starter this team will be the team to beat in the NL west.

The trade for Shelby Miller just did that for you. Greinke and Miller will make a great 1-2 punch. Being able to acquire him without giving up Pollock was a big win even though they gave up a lot from the farm system.

As a Braves fan, it was tough to watch last year. This year will be even worse. However, since they decided to blow up the team and rebuild, I'm glad they went all in and didn't half ass it. Going to be 2018 before this team is relevant again.
The Bad Guy

Postby Citizen Erased » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:01 am

The Bad Guy wrote:
Citizen Erased wrote:Forgot about this thread for a little bit but I have to say, I am totally stoked to have Greinke here in AZ! This team needed an ace. One of the best offenses, and one of the best defenses. Just missing the pitching and we filled (partially) that hole. If we can grab another strong starter this team will be the team to beat in the NL west.

The trade for Shelby Miller just did that for you. Greinke and Miller will make a great 1-2 punch. Being able to acquire him without giving up Pollock was a big win even though they gave up a lot from the farm system.

As a Braves fan, it was tough to watch last year. This year will be even worse. However, since they decided to blow up the team and rebuild, I'm glad they went all in and didn't half ass it. Going to be 2018 before this team is relevant again.

I feel ya man. You guys got some really good pieces in that trade though. Swanson and Blair help out the farm and Ender was one of my favorites on the team. I think it works out well for both teams in the end. We are in win now mode. It sucks losing Swanson, but by the team he gets to the majors Greinke, Pollock and Goldy may not be at the level they are at now. Cant wait for the season now.
Citizen Erased

Postby MJW » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:42 am

Crocaneers wrote:Zobrist back with Madden

Wow

I figured he wouldn't be back in KC. Great guy, good luck to him in Chicago. A leader and a winner and the kind of player good teams have.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:22 am

Wow

Now if they can land Heyward they'll have some good OBP at the top of the order and drop more crooked numbers from the home runs in the middle of that order.

Too bad they couldn't have gotten more from the Castro deal, though. But, it looks like the price for Shelby Miller was too damn high.
mightyleemoon

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:25 am

The Bad Guy wrote:

Seriously. You guys are about as All In as one can get on a rebuild. I really thought the Miller rumors would stay that way...rumors. He's young enough to still be a top of rotation guy when you come out of the rebuild...so I thought he'd be held onto for an anchor. Guess not.
mightyleemoon

Postby MJW » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:48 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

Wow

Now if they can land Heyward they'll have some good OBP at the top of the order and drop more crooked numbers from the home runs in the middle of that order.

Too bad they couldn't have gotten more from the Castro deal, though. But, it looks like the price for Shelby Miller was too damn high.

That's a lot of money to spend on two outfielders in one offseason.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:21 pm

MJW wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

I didn't see which other outfielder they acquired.
mightyleemoon

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:31 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
MJW wrote:

I didn't see which other outfielder they acquired.

I honestly think she was referring to Zobrist. :lol: :lol:
A Man's Part

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:19 pm

Jason Heyward/Cubs/8yrs/$184m
Bootz2004

Postby StillCSG » Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Cubs are in full "win now" mode
StillCSG

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:14 pm

Maddon finally has money.
A Man's Part

Postby NYBF » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Rays fans, what do I need to know about Asdrubal Cabrera?
NYBF

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 pm

NYBF wrote:Rays fans, what do I need to know about Asdrubal Cabrera?

He was just here for the 1 season. Indians fans would know more.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:07 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
NYBF wrote:Rays fans, what do I need to know about Asdrubal Cabrera?

He was just here for the 1 season. Indians fans would know more.

Yes, I'm aware of that. But since 1) that 1 season was his most recent one, and 2) there are far more Rays fans here than Indians fans, I thought asking Rays fans would be more productive.
NYBF

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:19 pm

Pete Rose will NOT be reinstated to baseball. Now I was a young pup back then. Was this really that huge of a deal that he needed to be banned for life from MLB? What's the background?
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:36 pm

As a manager, he made bets for and against his team(to lose). MLB considered that rigging. That will get you banned in any sport.
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Nano wrote:As a manager, he made bets for and against his team(to lose). MLB considered that rigging. That will get you banned in any sport.

So he basically coached his team to lose?
Bootz2004

Postby StillCSG » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Nano wrote:As a manager, he made bets for and against his team(to lose). MLB considered that rigging. That will get you banned in any sport.

What's funny about that....

Checking his books.....the Reds WON the majority of games he bet on them to lose (iirc he picked them to lose a grand total of 10 times....they won 8 of those)

And Nano betting on games PERIOD is a bannable offense (majority of Pete's bets were not involving the Reds)...think only 25 total were Reds related
StillCSG

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:18 pm

StillCSG wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

What's funny about that....

Checking his books.....the Reds WON the majority of games he bet on them to lose (iirc he picked them to lose a grand total of 10 times....they won 8 of those)

And Nano betting on games PERIOD is a bannable offense (majority of Pete's bets were not involving the Reds)...think only 25 total were Reds related

Oh wow! No way I'd even consider re-instating him. He not only sounds like an idiot but he's a terrible gambler. And "only" 25 Reds related games? Man...Wish I was old enough to be around for all of that.
Bootz2004

Postby StillCSG » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:40 am

Bootz...it was 25 games out of damn near 1000...

This is how archaic the no gambling rule is....players can be barred for fantasy baseball
StillCSG

Postby mightyleemoon » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:04 pm

I didn't know there was an update on what his bets were. A while back, I thought he was only guilty of betting on his team to win. And...honestly...I don't see how that is worth a lifetime ban. Yea, it's a shitty thing to do since it might cause him to maybe try and push players to play through injuries or something. But...betting on yourself to win seems like a very small offense in relation to something like steroids. Yet someone like McGwire still has a job in the league.
mightyleemoon

Postby NYBF » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:47 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:I didn't know there was an update on what his bets were. A while back, I thought he was only guilty of betting on his team to win. And...honestly...I don't see how that is worth a lifetime ban. Yea, it's a shitty thing to do since it might cause him to maybe try and push players to play through injuries or something. But...betting on yourself to win seems like a very small offense in relation to something like steroids. Yet someone like McGwire still has a job in the league.

Probably because if the league didn't promote PED use, particularly to fuel the McGwire - Sosa chase, MLB would be drawing NHL-type TV numbers right about now.
NYBF

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:33 am

Surprise no post about Griffey Jr & Piazza being elected to the HOF.
Bootz2004

Postby Teitan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Surprise no post about Griffey Jr & Piazza being elected to the HOF.

Baseball hall of fame doesn't do a lot for me. Seems like it's more about the voters than the players.
Teitan

Postby A Man's Part » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 pm

I stopped paying attention when it became clear that the voters wouldn't let Bonds / Clemens / etc.. In there.
A Man's Part

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Surprise no post about Griffey Jr & Piazza being elected to the HOF.

Griffey is the best player I've ever watched. I was happy to see him elected.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:36 am

A Man's Part wrote:I stopped paying attention when it became clear that the voters wouldn't let Bonds / Clemens / etc.. In there.

They all increased in percentage this year. Bob Ryan yesterday spoke about how there's a transition going on with the Baseball Writers fraternity. They are getting rid of a lot of the older members. The guys who acted like Champions of Justice when making their ballots as well as the old farts who voted under the belief that no player deserved to get in 1st ballot. That's why Griffey had the highest percentage of votes EVER. Only 3 members didn't vote for him. Schilling will get in probably next year or the year after with Bonds close after.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:14 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:I stopped paying attention when it became clear that the voters wouldn't let Bonds / Clemens / etc.. In there.

They all increased in percentage this year. Bob Ryan yesterday spoke about how there's a transition going on with the Baseball Writers fraternity. They are getting rid of a lot of the older members. The guys who acted like Champions of Justice when making their ballots as well as the old farts who voted under the belief that no player deserved to get in 1st ballot. That's why Griffey had the highest percentage of votes EVER. Only 3 members didn't vote for him. Schilling will get in probably next year or the year after with Bonds close after.

You think Schilling is going to go from 52.3% to 75+% in one year?
NYBF

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports