** Official MLB Thread **

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ** Official MLB Thread **

Postby A Man's Part » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 am

MJW wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:
The homerism has no limit.

Yeah, the "homer" who picked the Blue Jays to win the series.

Besides, you're a Marlins fans, so I'm kind of surprised you didn't stop your sentence halfway through and sell the rest to a Yankees or Red Sox fan to use.

So you're not going to back down from that ridiculously stupid situation..you'd just prefer to change the subject. Typical stupidity coming from you.

BTW, this is not simply referencing baseball.
A Man's Part

Postby Four Verticals » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:49 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
NYBF wrote:
I'm sure you noticed that 1) the fielder is set up in front of the bag and 2) the slide begun before the bag. I'm a huge proponent of the take out slide. "Slide" being the operative word.

And bull ****ing **** Utley got bag. He never touched it.

He looks a hell of a lot closer to the bag than Murphy... or Wright in this play.

The biggest difference is Tejada was hung out to dry by a **** throw from Murphy and rather than setting himself (like Rollins and Utley in the other plays), he went for the acrobatic play leavjng himself exposed. It didn't end well.

If he doesn't break his leg, it's not getting talked about as much, especially since the Mets won the series.

You clueless twit, the problem with the Utley play is he didn't slide.
Four Verticals

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:21 pm

Four Verticals wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:
He looks a hell of a lot closer to the bag than Murphy... or Wright in this play.

The biggest difference is Tejada was hung out to dry by a **** throw from Murphy and rather than setting himself (like Rollins and Utley in the other plays), he went for the acrobatic play leavjng himself exposed. It didn't end well.

If he doesn't break his leg, it's not getting talked about as much, especially since the Mets won the series.

You clueless twit, the problem with the Utley play is he didn't slide.

Nope the problem with the Utley play was that it ended with Tejada getting hurt. Otherwise it gets a fraction of the attention it got... just like every other take out play. Then once the Mets clinched, no one but Mets fans that have hated Utley for a decade would give a ****.

See: David Wright not sliding into Utley above.

Oh, and go **** yourself, tough guy.
Deja Entendu

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:43 am

Shits been going on for decades. No one cries until someone gets hurt.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:15 am

It's a dirty play that's been going on for a long time in the league. From a pretty early age we were taught to disrupt that play with a slide. Everyone was taught that exact same thing. Some players get more aggressive than others and go for the legs, not he bag. And, while it's common, it doesn't make it any less dirty.
mightyleemoon

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:04 am

Buc2 wrote:Shits been going on for decades. No one cries until someone gets hurt.

bad comparison... really bad
Mother Ayahuasca

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:08 am

Mother Ayahuasca wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Shits been going on for decades. No one cries until someone gets hurt.

bad comparison... really bad

Not in my opinion. He didn't slide.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:24 am

you're talking home plate collisions, bruh

That used to be encouraged and so is the art of breaking up double plays with slides, but the key word is slide and there's a difference from trying to deliver a concussion and trying to end someone's career.
Mother Ayahuasca

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:25 am

In shitty twist of fate, the Cubs may be eliminated today - the day Marty McFly found out they won the World Series.
Deja Entendu

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:21 am

Just like they are legislating the dirty/unnecessary contact out of football due to injuries those situations create, Baseball will follow suit imo. Tbh, they already have w/ the rule changes about blocking home plate.

Next will be changing how umpires view slides like Utley had.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:27 am

Deja Entendu wrote:In shitty twist of fate, the Cubs may be eliminated today - the day Marty McFly found out they won the World Series.

lol, I'm still happy for the Cubbies. They are not going anywhere and will be even better next season as they add pitching and their young offense gains experience. They are strong at every level of that organization.

NLCS is a pretty good season that not many fans or experts predicted back in March.

It's never over til it's over, but the Mets have the makings of WS Champion this year. 3 power SP's and an offense clicking at the right time w/ one guy on fire (Murphy).
DreadNaught

Postby mightyleemoon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:05 am

DreadNaught wrote:one guy on fire (Murphy).

If the Cubs can manage to squeeze a couple wins out before it's done...and if Murphy continues his trend...there's a chance he could hit as many homeruns in the post-season as he did in the regular season....which was a career high for him.

That's insane.
mightyleemoon

Postby Pewterslimsme » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:52 pm

No way the Mets lose this World Series

jinx jinx jinx
Pewterslimsme

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:28 am

If Murphy continues his hot streak...I agree. Hard to see them losing.

That said...somebody is going to way overpay for him this off-season.
mightyleemoon

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:26 am

Pewterslimsme wrote:No way the Mets lose this World Series

Reported.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:29 am

mightyleemoon wrote:If Murphy continues his hot streak...I agree. Hard to see them losing.

That said...somebody is going to way overpay for him this off-season.

Yeah. There was a lot of back and forth among the fans about whether or not they should re-sign him before this post season even started. At this point I think someone is going to throw so much money at him that it wouldn't be a smart move for the Mets to match it. Would like to have him back solely as an insurance policy for Wright's back. But there's always one team that goes way overboard.

And MLM, do me a favor? When you re-revise your predictions, pick the AL team? Thanks.
NYBF

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 am

NYBF wrote:And MLM, do me a favor? When you re-revise your predictions, pick the AL team? Thanks.

Because I didn't pick the AL the first time through?

Be careful not to tear your rotator patting yourself on the back so vigorously.
mightyleemoon

Postby Pewterslimsme » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:49 pm

NYBF wrote:
Pewterslimsme wrote:No way the Mets lose this World Series

Reported.

I kinda wish you did
Pewterslimsme

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Good luck to the Mets. It's on.
MJW

Postby Fairweather » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:49 am

This is a world series I will not watch. Time to watch the Bucs lose.
Fairweather

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:26 am

Fairweather wrote:This is a world series I will not watch. Time to watch the Bucs lose.

Probably 90 percent of this series' viewership will come from a 10 mile radius of Brooklyn or a 15 minute drive from the Kansas/Missouri border.
mightyleemoon

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:34 am

mightyleemoon wrote:
Fairweather wrote:This is a world series I will not watch. Time to watch the Bucs lose.

Probably 90 percent of this series' viewership will come from a 10 mile radius of Brooklyn or a 15 minute drive from the Kansas/Missouri border.

Do you think this series has that little appeal outside of the immediate markets? Fan bias aside, I think this is looking like it will be a pretty fun series to watch.
NYBF

Postby StillCSG » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:38 am

mightyleemoon wrote:

This will probably be one of this highest watched series in a long time among baseball fans due to the way both teams play
StillCSG

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:02 am

NYBF wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

Do you think this series has that little appeal outside of the immediate markets? Fan bias aside, I think this is looking like it will be a pretty fun series to watch.

It's interesting in the sense that it doesn't have the Cardinals or the Giants. But, I don't think pitching duels draw mass amounts of fans. Kind of like football. The Greatest Show on Turf will draw more viewers than the 2002 Bucs defense. People like to watch shootouts and storylines. This particular matchup doesn't have any of that. It's great contact hitting vs elite pitching on one side and good hitting vs good pitching on the other side. Plus, neither team really has much in the way of a national fanbase.

Not to say it won't be a good series. It probably will be. But, there's nothing here that will draw the attention of the casual fan at a national level. (Where the bulk ratings would come from) Most will be like Java, here. They've tuned out.
mightyleemoon

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:47 am

Too long a layover for Mets - Murphy's magic has to be cooled off (right?) ....Great run for them though and they will be good for years to come.

This Royals team just matches up too well...They don't strike out a lot and have enough lefty bats to do damage.

One thing you can't account for though and is in the Mets favor...I don't think anyone on the Royals has any ABs vs the big 4 of the Mets. It's possible the Royals get carved up, but I don't think so....They are in pain the ass will do just enough to take down the Mets.

Royals in 6

Hosmer wins MVP
Mother Ayahuasca

Postby MJW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:48 pm

NYBF wrote:
mightyleemoon wrote:

My fan bias aside, I'd tend to agree. Two teams that have different strengths, styles, and philosophies, and two teams that haven't won a title in 30ish years.

The ratings will suffer a bit because neither franchise is HATED. That's what's missing here. Dodgers fans HATE the Giants. I'm sure the ratings for the LA market were big last year. Everyone in the midwest HATES the Cardinals and tunes in to watch them lose. Everyone everywhere hates the Yankees and Sawx. Java is the only one who pretend-hates the Royals, and besides some hate-watching NL East fans, I don't see big numbers for Mets hate.

IMHO, if I was a casual viewer I'd tune in to watch those young Mets starters and the possible beginning of a Braves-like Big 3 circa the early 1990s. And the Royals are a fun team with a lot of personality.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Highest Game One ratings since 2009.
MJW

Postby StillCSG » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 pm

MJW wrote:Highest Game One ratings since 2009.

But but but....I thought nobody would watch
StillCSG

Postby MJW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Johnny Cueto with literally the greatest game in Royals postseason history, such as it is. The first CG from an AL starter since Jack Morris in 1991. Now we gotta win a couple in NY to ice this thing. It won't be easy.
MJW

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:02 am

StillCSG wrote:
MJW wrote:Highest Game One ratings since 2009.

But but but....I thought nobody would watch

Since 2009 isn't really saying anything since the chart hits a major dip since 2009. Baseball fans are tuning in, but it's not the type of matchup that will draw in the casuals. If the Cubs had been in this World Series the ratings would have been the highest since 2004 or possibly the 90s. For reference...the Cubs Cardinals matchup drew ratings of 21 and 23 for games 1 and 2. This World Series Game 1 drew an 18. Game 1 of the world series in 2009 was a 22. (I'm pretty sure the Cubs popularity this year is mostly because of the influx of casuals and that pop culture reference. People that couldn't name 3 current baseball players knew what was happening with the Cubs because of Marty McFly) And, yea yea, I'm a Cubs fan. But, my points was that a lot of people who had tuned into this post season have now generally tuned out. Except true baseball fans that want to watch an intriguing matchup.

On a related note. Something I've been saying to friends for a couple years, but they've been writing it off. I think baseball is approaching a revival. It's been on a downward swing since the strike. But, with the NFL stepping all over itself and the NBA being...the NBA...it seems like Baseball is about to be on the upswing. I don't think it'll come anywhere near taking over the NFL anytime soon. But, it seems to be getting more and more interest from casual observers. Also - I have no scientific evidence for this. (Other than an article I saw that says MLB TV has been gaining more and more subscribers the last 5 years...but that's not really evidence overall) It just 'seems' that way. I could be wrong.
mightyleemoon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports