** Official MLB Thread **

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ** Official MLB Thread **

Postby Swashy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:33 pm

Rich Hill just had his perfect game taken from him by the manager. And a hit as I type this. Wow.... that's some ****.
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:12 am

Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez was killed in a boating accident in Florida early Sunday mo
Phantom Phenom

Postby EnochRoot » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:36 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Miami Marlins ace Jose Fernandez was killed in a boating accident in Florida early Sunday mo

Horrible news.
"I'd rather live with a good question than a bad answer."

Aryeh A. Frimer
EnochRoot

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:28 pm

So sad. Jose was one of the best young arms in baseball and actually had a personality. Heartbreaking incident and it appears there were several other victims in this accident.
Ken Carson

Postby terrytate » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Bad day for sports all around. We started by losing a great young talent and personality and ended by losing a legend.
terrytate

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 am

So this is what Sammy Sosa looks like today. No really...

DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 am

He has gotten such a raw deal from MLB. It's embarrassing. I don't want to hear **** about steroids. Him and McGwire going head to head that summer is what saved baseball. And McGwire has a job.
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Source: Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria finalizing agreement to sell team to group including Derek Jeter

Pretty sure they're going to change colors and logo
Phantom Phenom

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 pm

NYBF wrote:He has gotten such a raw deal from MLB. It's embarrassing. I don't want to hear **** about steroids. Him and McGwire going head to head that summer is what saved baseball. And McGwire has a job.

This is the **** I'm talking about.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2029 ... tters-most
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm

Stanton now has 42 homeruns on the 2017 season

6th straight game with home run

23 homeruns in 35 games
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Not MLB but baseball related

Cool story on a trick play.

And I'll be honest, i played baseball for 2 years in college and I learned something about a baserunning rule I had never known was formalized as it is

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2029 ... e-baseball
Zarniwoop

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the N.Y. Mets for minor leagers.
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby acmillis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 am

PlinkoBuccaneer wrote:Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the N.Y. Mets for minor leagers.

I'll never understand this. If the trade deadline was a month ago (or whenever it was), how the hell can players still be getting traded?
acmillis

Postby NYBF » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:31 am

acmillis wrote:
PlinkoBuccaneer wrote:Dodgers just acquired Curtis Granderson from the N.Y. Mets for minor leagers.

I'll never understand this. If the trade deadline was a month ago (or whenever it was), how the hell can players still be getting traded?

Non-waiver trade deadline was ~1 month ago. Once that deadline passes, teams begin to put their players on trade (or revocable) waivers. Teams do this with nearly every player, so it's fun to watch fans freak out when a beat writer leaks that Player X was placed on waivers.

Once this process starts, a few things can happen:

Player X gets claimed. His team now has 3 options:
1) Let the player go to the claiming team for nothing. Claiming team assumes the remainder of the player's contract in full. This rarely happens.
EDIT: At the exact same time I hit submit on this post, the Mets announce this: https://twitter.com/Mets/status/898930303628173312
2) Work out a trade with the claiming team. Since the claiming team was awarded the claim, the two teams have 48 hours to work out a deal. This is kind of rare, but it does happen sometimes.
3) The team revokes the waivers. This is the most common outcome. If a player is claimed and no deal is worked out, the player has to stay with the team the rest of the year.

Player X clears waivers. No team claimed the player. He is now able to be traded at any point during the rest of the season to any team. Since the postseason roster deadline is Sept 1, this essentially makes the waiver trade deadline August 31.
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:58 am

Stanton now has 45 homeruns and on pace for 61

IMO 61 is the record

This article explain why

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2040 ... ord-anyway
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Swashy wrote:Rich Hill just had his perfect game taken from him by the manager. And a hit as I type this. Wow.... that's some ****.

Apparently, Rich Hill has made is (now) annual, "Almost a no-hitter" appearance.

Who is this ****ing guy? Literally, the first time I heard his name was in this post.

The SECOND time I heard his name was tonight...by blowing a no-no in the 10th!
Alpha

Postby NYBF » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:07 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Stanton now has 45 homeruns and on pace for 61

IMO 61 is the record

This article explain why

This article does not "explain why" 61 is the record. That article actually makes a better case for 60, 43, and 37 than for 61. And that being said, if there's no 70/66 there's no MLB today, so Stanton can take his "legitimate" record and shove it up his ass. He should be sucking Sosa's **** for making baseball relevant in 1998 so he could have a job in 2017 that pays him $300 million.
NYBF

Postby Alpha » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:41 pm

NYBF wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Stanton now has 45 homeruns and on pace for 61

IMO 61 is the record

This article explain why

This article does not "explain why" 61 is the record. That article actually makes a better case for 60, 43, and 37 than for 61. And that being said, if there's no 70/66 there's no MLB today, so Stanton can take his "legitimate" record and shove it up his ass. He should be sucking Sosa's **** for making baseball relevant in 1998 so he could have a job in 2017 that pays him $300 million.

You've made this argument before...and financially, I agree completely.

That said...nobody in their right mind would consider 73 (or whatever) HR's a legitimate record.

Frankly...I have no dog in the fight. I could give zero fucks about baseball...but I do pay attention to sports (in general). 2 guys who were obviously juicing, have no claim to any official record, IMO.
Alpha

Postby NYBF » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:33 am

Alpha wrote:
NYBF wrote:

That said...nobody in their right mind would consider 73 (or whatever) HR's a legitimate record.

Frankly...I have no dog in the fight. I could give zero fucks about baseball...but I do pay attention to sports (in general). 2 guys who were obviously juicing, have no claim to any official record, IMO.

So we're giving Maris a pass for playing in an era when amphetamines were prevalent in baseball? Or ignoring the likelihood that the people pitching to McGwire / Sosa / Bonds were also juicing?
NYBF

Postby acmillis » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:54 am

NYBF wrote:
Alpha wrote:

So we're giving Maris a pass for playing in an era when amphetamines were prevalent in baseball? Or ignoring the likelihood that the people pitching to McGwire / Sosa / Bonds were also juicing?

This is my take as well. Records are records regardless of whether we know they were "cheating" or not. Guys are still cheating today and not getting caught. No matter the record old or new, it will always be met with skepticism.
acmillis

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:36 am

Stanton hit 50 yesterday.. on pace for 63
Phantom Phenom

Postby PlinkoBuccaneer » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Rangers and Astros going to play their series at the Trop beginning Tuesday Night. Admission $1.00. 8-)
PlinkoBuccaneer

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 pm

NYBF wrote:
Alpha wrote:

The Maris argument is weak. The key term would be "performance enhancing".

If you can persuade me that taking amphetamines constitutes a "performance enhancing" drug, I'll reconsider...but they aren't.

And hey...if a pitcher is using (I'm looking at you Roger Clemens), they're out too.

Listen...you either draw a line somewhere...or have no line. I prefer to have a line.
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:29 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby NYBF » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:06 pm

Alpha wrote:If you can persuade me that taking amphetamines constitutes a "performance enhancing" drug, I'll reconsider...

https://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsands ... mphet.html

Amphetamines share many central nervous system effects with cocaine. However, unlike cocaine, amphetamines are not readily broken down by the body and are eliminated unchanged in the urine. Consequently, the stimulative effects of amphetamines last considerably longer than that of cocaine.

I know I sure loved watching Doc Gooden pitch while he was coked up.
NYBF

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:16 pm

NYBF wrote:
Alpha wrote:If you can persuade me that taking amphetamines constitutes a "performance enhancing" drug, I'll reconsider...

https://espn.go.com/special/s/drugsands ... mphet.html

Amphetamines share many central nervous system effects with cocaine. However, unlike cocaine, amphetamines are not readily broken down by the body and are eliminated unchanged in the urine. Consequently, the stimulative effects of amphetamines last considerably longer than that of cocaine.

I know I sure loved watching Doc Gooden pitch while he was coked up.

Ok.

So amphetamines (essentially) allow a player to play through, what might otherwise be, a debilitating injury. Which is what I've always said about "steroids". The MAIN effect of these drugs, aren't to (necessarily) allow a player to "play better" (i.e. hit, pitch, field, etc.)

Ok. Sold. In that sense, they are "performance enhancing". Especially in a game like baseball, where you're playing constantly, with few days off, for an extended period of time...and nicks and dings are common.

Now...where do you draw the line? Do you just allow everything and that's it? Do you allow everything until someone get's caught? I guess my point is...IF you want to include every achievement in the game, regardless of the route taken to achieve it...then why bother with drug testing at all? Conversely...if you're going to have drug testing, then what are the (STATISTICAL) repercussions of failing a test? Obviously, they're suspended (loss of pay, etc.) I'm talking strictly "records" here...
Alpha

Postby NYBF » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:19 am

Alpha wrote:
Now...where do you draw the line? Do you just allow everything and that's it? Do you allow everything until someone get's caught? I guess my point is...IF you want to include every achievement in the game, regardless of the route taken to achieve it...then why bother with drug testing at all? Conversely...if you're going to have drug testing, then what are the (STATISTICAL) repercussions of failing a test? Obviously, they're suspended (loss of pay, etc.) I'm talking strictly "records" here...

That I don't know. And that's something that can be argued forever. Do you need anything to mark the records? Will we ever have a time when someone isn't telling the story of what the three of them took? And how "pure" baseball was at one point? No. Leave all that stuff up to the fans to talk about. Not for the employees to talk about.
NYBF

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:30 am

Tigers traded Verlander to Astros
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:01 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Tigers traded Verlamder to Astros

Who?
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:06 am

NYBF wrote:
Alpha wrote:

That I don't know. And that's something that can be argued forever. Do you need anything to mark the records? Will we ever have a time when someone isn't telling the story of what the three of them took? And how "pure" baseball was at one point? No. Leave all that stuff up to the fans to talk about. Not for the employees to talk about.

The solution is simple:

1) Allow loaded bats.

2) Lower the mound back to the pre-70's height.

3) No batting helmets.

Let the players take whatever drug they like...cause if you're brave enough to stand in against THAT...you need to be on drugs for sure.
It still amazes me, seeing Ruth stand in there, with no batting helmet. Those fuckers were nuts...
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports