Poker

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Poker

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Yeah I put it in "Other Sports".. it's a competition and all..

Any ways, anyone play here consistently? Cash Table/Tourney? Cool stories/bad beats?

I've been playing weekly for about 3 yrs now. Summer time, every day as my wife goes to IL for the summer with the kids (she's a teacher) and during the school year, on Fridays but may be a multiple times per week depending on how comfy the couch looks.

that being said, I started with a bankroll of $1,400 and for the most part my bankroll is still at $1,400. I play $1/$2 NL and I'll play occasionally in a 5k guaranteed ($50 entry) tourney provided I get a free entry (cash table, quads utilizing pocket cards earn a free entry in addition to whatever the room high hand promo is at the time.). I only play when it's a free roll because I'm not a big fan of the blind structure.

All in all I would say I'm up over a couple of g's seeing how my winnings have funded many things (weekly personal trainer for my wife, haven't paid out of pocket for mary jane in 3 years, 2 summer road trips with the kiddos, misc purchases). In addition to winning at the low limit gms, I also notched my first tourney win. Well we chopped the winnings when we got down to 6 players (177 entries) and I had the most in chips and demanded a larger payout then the rest because I had more chips.. which I got. And since the object of the tourney is to make the most money I'm going to consider it a win dammit!

anyhow, what say you? do you play? think it's a stupid gambling game?
Noles1724

Re: Poker

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 am

Does FSU also consider competitive cross-stitching a "sport"?
bucfanclw

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:03 pm

No I don't play much and definitely not for money. How long had you been playing prior to they last 3 years?
PrimeMinister

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:11 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:No I don't play much and definitely not for money. How long had you been playing prior to they last 3 years?

very sporadically with friends here or there but mostly home games/tourneys (largest being 50 player tourney) but it was so infrequent and not much thought behind my game(although I thought there was at the time).
Noles1724

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:12 pm

bucfanclw wrote:Does FSU also consider competitive cross-stitching a "sport"?

possibly.. we do offer PEM 1952 Circus Activities Course so anything is possible I guess.
Noles1724

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:45 pm

So poker is a sport now?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:25 am

I'd consider it competitive/competition with a desired outcome to be a winner...
Noles1724

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:29 am

I consider it a card game people are prone to gamble on.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 am

It's on ESPN :D
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:04 am

DreadNaught wrote:It's on ESPN :D

right!
Noles1724

Postby Babeinbucland » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:27 pm

I play weekly in two home games (Sometimes play at Hard Rock Tampa). One of our games has been going for over 15 years. My biggest fault is that I get bored easily and play hands just to play, when I should have folded before the flop. Sigh...
Babeinbucland

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:48 am

DreadNaught wrote:It's on ESPN :D

I am not saying it is... just saying the E ....

It's not a sport, it's a competition and one of the best sleep aids at 1 Am there is

Entertainment
Sports
Programming
Network
Crocaneers

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 am

Babeinbucland wrote:I play weekly in two home games (Sometimes play at Hard Rock Tampa). One of our games has been going for over 15 years. My biggest fault is that I get bored easily and play hands just to play, when I should have folded before the flop. Sigh...

I get like this sometimes too. only advice I could give is if you're playing marginal hands out of boredom, would be to at least play them when you have position and play those hands more aggressively as if they are solid hands (meaning raise an unraised pot, control the action..but you better have position if doing so). Then you see flops that will allow you to take stabs at it when face cards hit as others have to somewhat believe you hit the flop based on preflop action/raise. Also, if by some chance your less than marginal hands smashes the flop you're probably going to get paid off as no one will expect a dry board to hit your hand so well based on prefop action.

you wouldn't want to play this way all time of course, but when sprinkled in throughout a session and at the right time it can be very effective and it surely fixes the boredom factor when you're yelling in your head "just f'ing fold already".

side note: this is more of a cash game strategy than tournament.

I actually have an example of this that happened recently and I ended up doubling up, which was a complete accident.

$1/$2 NL Cash Game
Preface the hand with Villain being jerky, showing bluffs, talking to people that he was up against like "oh I bet that pisses you off uh? I'm being too aggressive for this table... did you see what I just won with". Just coming off as a real jerk who thought he was better than he was and I was just being quiet thinking to myself that I'll catch him soon enough. Overall I would say that this guy was a bluffy player who took greater pleasure in the bluff over a well played hand.

Well the night went on and he had stacked his chips into his tray and was playing his last hand before he left, which he was the button. I was two to his right, so I was in late position. My stack was at $120.

4 players in before it got to me ($7 in the pot - SB + BB + 2 limp) and I look at my pocket pair and see 6/3 of clubs. I wanted to play the hand but didn't want to be passive and hope I flopped something to win. So I be $20 with the whole purpose of rep'ing a big pocket pair and also making it to where the limpers didn't feel like they had to defend their previous $2. The goal was to win a little pot preflop with a very marginal hand and move on to the next hand. The Villain on the button calls the $20 and one other previous limper called the additional $18. So the pot was $63 with 3 players going to the flop.

Flop comes 2, 2, 3 with two spades.

first player checks
So I'm thinking, if first player had a high pocket pair he would have at least not initially limped before I raised preflop, and he surely would have reraised after I raised if he was trying to be cute (which it turned out he was trying to be cute, just too cute and he lost the pot because of this). The Villain to my left was a bluffy player playing his last hand so I gave him zero credit for having a made hand preflop. So with all that taken into account I'm thinking that my pair of 3's is probably good here but even if they aren't my preflop raise would have to warrant respect and they would fold and that would be the end of it. The problem was I needed to bet enough to where they didn't feel like they were getting pot odds to call which would have been about $50. That would have only left me with $50 behind going forward and not enough to push anyone off a draw should my post flop bet gets called. So I push all in for a $100.

Villain on the button takes 30 seconds and calls so I'm like ****, I guess I'm behind and I just tried to play this hand at the wrong time.. it happens. and then the other guy in the hand folds. He said because the Villain had called is why he folded. Which makes complete sense and I would have done the same if I had been in his position. which I would not have been because he folded pocket 10s and there is no way in hell I'm limping in a pot preflop from EP with 10s, because this is exactly the situation you put yourself in (not knowing exactly where you stand in a hand due to being passive/sneaky).

So I keep my hand face down as the cards are coming out and to be honest I don't even recall what the turn or the river was only that they were not spades and the villain flips over his cards and says I missed my flush.. he had 7/9spades. I flipped over my cards and said "wow, looks like I win with a pair of 3's". It was a great "gotcha" moment and one that I certainly fell into, but it's a good example of playing an image and position.

As for the guy that folded the 10s, like previously mentioned, he played his hand horribly and allowed players in position to dictate the action.
Noles1724

Return to Other Sports