***OFFICIAL 2016 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2016 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:possible Rays new stadium

What the hell is this?? The Polo Grounds 4??
Bootz2004

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:37 pm

That's a terrible photoshop of AT&T Park. They even forgot to remove one of the 'AT&T Park' labels which has a SF giant logo in the far right.

It looks like they poorly cut it out of a picture of AT&T Park, and then popped it into another location(hence the bushes and **** 'inside the park' / building ON the road).
A Man's Part

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:37 pm

NEW GENERATION STADIUM ?

TAMPA — The meeting Friday in downtown Tampa was the political version of baseball's pitchers and catchers reporting for spring training — the first activity in what promises to be an effort spanning many months.

"I'm just as excited on the way out of it as I was on the way in,'' Tampa Bay Rays president Brian Auld said after outlining the team's plans for its stadium search to a dozen officials and business executives from Tampa and Hillsborough County.

Much of the closed two-hour meeting was spent explaining what the Rays mean when they talk about their ambition to create a "next generation" ballpark.

"We're really looking to tear up the old model," Auld said. A new stadium could be smaller, with fewer seats and different types of seats in a different configuration. It might not have an upper deck, which is typically the most expensive part of a stadium. It might have a retractable roof. Or it might have a fixed roof with moveable walls.

"We could see hosting Little League baseball tournaments, lacrosse tournaments," Auld said. "I like the idea of just opening up the outfield walls and inviting the public in during the winter and just letting it be the coolest park in America. Those things are all on the table. We're trying to figure out ways to do it."

Both sides agreed to meet again, probably monthly.

"We're going to do everything we can to compress the timeline, but the reality is it's not going to happen overnight," Hills­borough County Commissioner Ken Hagan said.

Hagan started agitating for a regional discussion about making sure the Rays stay in the Tampa Bay area in January 2010. But it wasn't until last month that the St. Petersburg City Council agreed to let the team expand its search for potential stadium sites without violating its lease at Tropicana Field.

Friday's meeting, the first between the team and Hillsborough officials, happened a day after Rays officials outlined in broad terms what they're looking for in a home field. Their criteria include:

• Having a site of about 20 acres.

• Being close to a center of business. (This likely would weigh against the Florida State Fairgrounds.)

• Having good accessibility to interstates and — someday — mass transit.

• Having the opportunity to create a come-early-and-stay-late cluster of nearby stores, bars and restaurants.

"It's important for us to have this ballpark be a catalyst for development,'' Rays senior vice president for strategy and development Melanie Lenz said.

Already, both sides are being contacted by people with land or ideas or both.

"Everyone's trying to talk to us," Lenz said. Hagan said he received a couple of emails with site suggestions during the meeting.

But before the Rays sort through the sites, they plan to spend a couple of months having consultants do a deep market analysis of the "regional business centers" in both Tampa and St. Petersburg.

What they learn about those submarkets will inform how big the ballpark is, and what spaces it includes to create social interaction and other design features. The team wants a home field that boosts attendance, increases revenue and flips the balance of season ticket holders from the current mix of 70 percent individual and 30 percent business to the Major League Baseball standard, which is the opposite.

"Corporate support is beyond critical for us,'' Lenz said.

"We need corporate support to make this team work," Auld said. "Determining where and how we can best access that support is going to be a major part of the equation."

The two sides did not talk about potential financing for the ballpark, which could cost $400 million to $700 million, depending on its features, configuration and type of roof.

"It's really hard to talk about financing a project that we don't know what it's going to look like and we don't know where it's going to be," Lenz said.

Whatever the deal, elected officials said local government will not raise taxes as was done to build Raymond James Stadium.

"The Rays are going to have to come to the table with a significant amount of money," Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn said. "I don't know how much money 'significant' is, but I think it's important that they be partners in this process. Taxpayers cannot bear the entire burden of a stadium."

The financing package could end up with a total of as much as 10 different sources of funding, he said. Depending on the location, potential sources include a share of the property taxes that are already earmarked for community redevelopment in areas like downtown Tampa, rental car surcharges, a portion of local hotel bed taxes, money authorized by the Legislature, foreign investment available through the federal government's EB-5 visa program and ticket user fees.

The Rays have agreed to spend at least six months evaluating sites so that St. Petersburg can make its case that the team's current home, enhanced by future development, is the Rays' best long-term option.

Both Hagan and Buckhorn say their main goal is to keep the Rays in the bay area.

"Selfishly, I admit I would like them to be in Tampa, Hillsborough County, because I believe the demographics suggest it provides the team the best chance to succeed in the long term," Hagan said. "That being said, I want them in Tampa Bay. If they're in Pinellas County, that's fine with me."
Phantom Phenom

Postby Nano » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Pitchers and catchers already reported. Spring Training schedule starts in a few weeks
Nano

Postby Kress » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:47 am

I'm ready for some baseball. I'm also ready for CSG to come into the thread, be brash and arrogant about the Sox, and then look like a fool in the end. Or all throughout the thread, I suppose. It really builds to a fabulous crescendo. Anyway, it's pretty much a summer tradition at this point. I put it on par with people going to Coney Island and eating Nathan's hot dogs.
Kress

Postby BucNation » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:12 pm

Kress wrote:I'm ready for some baseball. I'm also ready for CSG to come into the thread, be brash and arrogant about the Sox, and then look like a fool in the end. Or all throughout the thread, I suppose. It really builds to a fabulous crescendo. Anyway, it's pretty much a summer tradition at this point. I put it on par with people going to Coney Island and eating Nathan's hot dogs.

Just hope he stays around this time if/when the Red Sox fall on their ass in July. ; )
BucNation

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:22 pm

Rays will play Cuban National Team March 22nd .. that'll be fun .. HUH?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/165876704 ... 5768707450
Crocaneers

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Rays new stadium search underway

"This offseason I think we did what we needed to do to improve the ball club and really added some stuff and I'm really looking forward to it,'' he said.

"It looks like we're raised our game, but theirs has gone up more dramatically. You take a look at Toronto, it's a beast. The thing I'm holding my hat on here is I do believe we had a great season last year. Clearly, injuries are part of the game, but the first four months of the season it was unprecedented for us, and I'd like it to stay unprecedented.

"So to know where we were last year, we have the opportunity to improve on that, not only with the guys we brought in, but with the health of the guys, having Kevin (Cash) here and some of the coaches here for the second year, just the cohesiveness is dramatically different this year. So all of that should add up for a better season and it's a great starting point - it's not like we won 64 games last year."

Sternberg also spoke at length about the search for a new stadium, saying they were at "the beginning of a new process" in being able to look on both sides of the bay and hope to have some decisions in th next six-nine months, with the ultimate key being where they will get the most corporate support.

"We are working internally now,'' he said. "I won't say at a feverish pace, but a very measured and very focused pace. There's a lot to cover. It's not like most places, Okay we have a stadium. Here's what it is. Where are you going to put it? Who's going to pay for it? Every team has to deal with those issues. Sometimes it's just how are you going to pay for it. It's obvious where it's going to go. Yankee Stadium was built next to the old Yankee Stadium. Citi Field was built next to the old (stadium). St. Louis, a lot of these places, that part is sort of easy. Who's going to pay for it? You figure that out and all right, let's go.

"With us it's a much deeper process, but we need to really, most importantly, get to the bottom of finally, what type of support is out there, and is it meaningful and impactful to where the stadium is located to change that support? Does a business, does an organization, whether it's a five-person business or a 500-person business or a 5,000-person business, does their support change if we're eight miles away or 28 miles away or sitting exactly where we are but in a new facility?"

Sternberg also said that after two off-seasons of going down, ticket sales and sponsorships should at the least be stable for the coming season.

Check back for more later and in Wednesday's Tampa Bay Times.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:38 am

I'm picturing "Publix Field" at this point.
Kress

Postby bucfanclw » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:03 am

Kress wrote:I'm picturing "Publix Field" at this point.

If they put a Publix deli in there it would likely increase attendance.
bucfanclw

Postby Swashy » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:12 pm

So nice to see actual progress being made on the situation. Hopefully after some population and business studies we'll have a few finalist sites selected and an estimate of the stadium budget by this time next year. Then comes the hard part... designing it within the budget and figuring out how you're gonna pay for it. I'll gladly do my part as a taxpayer no questions asked if it means keeping the Rays in town. Stu doesn't have to explain a thing to me. I've met enough people who ran their own business to understand that mo' money = mo' problems. Building a ballpark is an expensive venture.

I just hope it was worth it to St. Pete government to put us 6 years behind on the issue. It wouldn't surprise me if inflation has spiked the price on the project by at least 10%. If it was a $400 million price tag back in 2010 then it's gonna be something like $450 million when we finally put a shovel in the ground. I know Mayor Foster was only doing his job and was looking out for the best interest of St. Pete by keeping the Rays there but dammit man it's not like the St. Pete taxpayers didn't shoot down the proposed waterfront project and say, "The Trop is just fine."

Had we started in 2010 we'd probably have figured out all the details by now.
Swashy

Postby Kress » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:44 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Kress wrote:I'm picturing "Publix Field" at this point.

If they put a Publix deli in there it would likely increase attendance.

Meh. Too much bread.

Swashy wrote: but dammit man it's not like the St. Pete taxpayers didn't shoot down the proposed waterfront project and say, "The Trop is just fine."

Non sequitur.

I live in St. Pete and voted no because it was stupid. But I most certainly do not believe that the Trop is "just fine." It sucks. I just thought that the proposed location on the water was even dumber. The traffic problems would have been out of control. Access to the Trop is bad enough, but good Lord that would have been awful putting this thing down on the waterfront. There's basically one road going there. Stupid.
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:41 am

That water front stadium was a sad joke. A canvas sail was to be used as a retractable roof and no outfield seats. Are you kidding me?
And basically everything Kress said. I think they would've closed Bayshore on game day but that area is ill equipped to fit 35000 people a day.
Bootz2004

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:13 am

Season is set to begin tomorrow. A lot of pundits like the Rays as a wildcard team, citing pitching and an improved offense. The pitching should actually be better this year than last, with (hopefully) full seasons from both Drew Smyly and Matt Moore. The offense should be better as well, with Corey Dickerson, Logan Morrison, and Brad Miller upgrading the production at 3 spots, plus Steve Pearce giving the Rays an extra right-handed bat. The defense will likely take a step back, at least in the infield, as Millrr is a defensive downgrade from Asdrubal Cabrera. Losing James Loney at 1B seems like a downgrade, but he didn't really play much last year.

Season predictions: 86 wins. In the wildcard chase to the very end. Chris Archer wins 17 games. Drew Smyly makes 30 starts, and leads the team in ERA. Longo bounces back with 25 HRs, 90 RBIs, and bats .275. Logan Forsythe makes the All-Star team.
Ken Carson

Postby Mother Ayahuasca » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:41 am

terrified of our bullpen

Offense is obviously a big part, but the pen will dictate where this team goes...

*Fingers crossed*

And so stoked baseball is here....Good luck all
Mother Ayahuasca

Postby Teitan » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:41 am

I'll be at the game tomorrow. Opening day on my birthday!
Teitan

Postby Ken Carson » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Mother Ayahuasca wrote:terrified of our bullpen

Offense is obviously a big part, but the pen will dictate where this team goes...

*Fingers crossed*

And so stoked baseball is here....Good luck all

Cash needs to get that quick hook reflex cured early in the season.
Ken Carson

Postby Swashy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:51 pm

3 swings and 3 outs. lol wow it's another year and it still never gets old
Swashy

Postby Rocker » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:06 pm

Dull.
Rocker

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:27 pm

Why look for a stadium when this team is a bag of *****
SixStringSamurai

Postby BucNation » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:23 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:Why look for a stadium when this team is a bag of *****

I was wondering when you were going to show up.
BucNation

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:15 am

I'm back!
SixStringSamurai

Postby SixStringSamurai » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:16 am

BucNation wrote:
SixStringSamurai wrote:Why look for a stadium when this team is a bag of *****

You've ever been taken to pound town? The Rays do...I hope you don't.
SixStringSamurai

Postby acmillis » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:34 am

I'm a Rays fan...but that game ending reversed call was horrible. If that is the interpretation of the new rule...it needs to be changed ASAP.
acmillis

Postby BucNation » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:57 pm

SixStringSamurai wrote:
BucNation wrote:

You've ever been taken to pound town? The Rays do...I hope you don't.

You and Sanka must be friends IRL.
BucNation

Postby BucNation » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:00 pm

acmillis wrote:I'm a Rays fan...but that game ending reversed call was horrible. If that is the interpretation of the new rule...it needs to be changed ASAP.

But it wasn't the correct call. He blatantly swiped at Logan's ankle. Which makes it interference. New call or not, he interfered. Which makes it an out.
BucNation

Postby Nano » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 pm

Souza had a productive first series. 6 hits, 3 HRs, and 5 RBIs.
Nano

Postby Swashy » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:48 pm

BucNation wrote:
acmillis wrote:I'm a Rays fan...but that game ending reversed call was horrible. If that is the interpretation of the new rule...it needs to be changed ASAP.

But it wasn't the correct call. He blatantly swiped at Logan's ankle. Which makes it interference. New call or not, he interfered. Which makes it an out.

^ This.

Shady way to pull off a win but it's not like we were in the wrong to do this. Turn the tables and the Jays would be saying the same thing we are.
Swashy

Postby BucNation » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 am

Nano wrote:Souza had a productive first series. 6 hits, 3 HRs, and 5 RBIs.

The Souza/Dickerson combo has the potential of being very dangerous.
BucNation

Postby The Outsider » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:59 pm

And they got their **** pushed in.
The Outsider

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports