***OFFICIAL 2016 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2016 Tampa Bay Rays MLB Season Thread!***

Postby Kress » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:00 am

Swashy wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Officials on Tuesday released 10 potential sites for a new major league baseball stadium.

Rays have played at same location since 1998
Largest proposed site is 135 acres
Bay News 9 reporter Cait McVey has more later today
County Administrator Mark Woodard was scheduled to brief Pinellas County commissioners at a 2 p.m. meeting.

The Tampa Bay Rays have played at Tropicana Field since their expansion debut in 1998.

The proposed sites include a 135-acre location on Gandy Boulevard North along with a pair of 20-acre sites -- the former Sunshine Speedway site in Pinellas Park and a location at the corner of U.S. 19 N and Bellair Road.

The team's current location on Tropicana Drive was also listed among the 10 choices.

County officials hope to keep the team on the Pinellas side of the bay.

The other proposed locations are:

- The southwest corner of 118th Avenue North and 49th Street in Pinellas Park
- The 3500 block of 126th Avenue
- The 13000 block of Stonybrook Drive
- The southwest corner of U.S. Highway 19 North and Belleair Road
- The 19000 block of U.S. Highway 19 North
- Forest Lake Boulevard South and Race Track Road (O5ldsmar)

Officials broke down the 10 proposed locations by businesses and employees in the area, median income and the drive time to each site.

Bay News 9 reporter Cait McVey will have updates later today on-air and online.

You can read the county report by clicking here.

Saw a special this morning on that. I really hope it was worth it for Bill Foster and the city of St. Pete to spend 4 years cockblocking the entire process when so many of these proposed sites are in Pinellas after FINALLY being given a chance to look in Hillsborough as well.

It bothers me to no end that with even a LITTLE bit of cooperation we could have had a new ballpark by now or being built. At worst the Rays would likely be wrapping up the final political details on how to pay for it and we would have a definitive timeline.

Every single one of those sites are crap. This coming from a St. Pete resident, put the damn thing in Tampa.
Kress

Postby Swashy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:06 pm

lol at the Rays finally playing decent baseball and getting their **** together in worthless games in August.
Swashy

Postby Nano » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:29 pm

Why would this month by any different from the first 4 :|
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:17 pm

Never quite understand why pitchers try to sneak fastballs inside on Evan Longoria.
Bootz2004

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:08 pm

First time I get to see the Rays all year and Longoria has a nice night and they're winning at NYY through 3 innings.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:16 pm

Aaaaaand they're blowing it.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Nano » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:15 pm

This team is totally fucked. Management sucks, coaching sucks, all our players are ****, our farm system is empty.

They've gone from the area's best pro team to its worse.
Nano

Postby Swashy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Boxberger is garbage. Whatever the hell this team saw in him is beyond me.

Edit: Jesus Christ Mahtook what the HELL kind of throw was that?
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:55 pm

And Mahtook manages to get himself thrown out at the plate. I'm not trying to be hard on the kid but he has a LONG way to go. This whole team does. I hope we can actually draft catcher. If JJ Schwarz is available it would simply be too easy of a choice. Already missed the boat on Buster Posey.

God this team has me bummed right now. The year simply cannot end fast enough
Swashy

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:31 am

Silver lining is that Longoria is having the best season In his past 6. Hopefully this is the new normal again.
Ken Carson

Postby Swashy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:49 am

Ken Carson wrote:Silver lining is that Longoria is having the best season of his career.

Ironic we finally get some decent offense and we can't pitch anymore. Even more Ironic Evan is putting up these numbers with guys like KK, Miller and Dickerson as opposed to guys like Crawford, Upton, Pena, Myers and every DH we ever brought in during the playoff years. Hopefully with a new hitting coach we can start fresh next year and continue to get this kind of level of offensive production while the pitching figures itself out.

I know management wants a post-season run next year but I don't know how far we'd actually get. Personally I think we just need to restock the farm for a few years and say record be damned. Then it all comes together like a 2008.
Swashy

Postby Nano » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:22 pm

Guess they're hoping to narrow down stadium search to 3 by October, and we may know where the Rays will eventually be playing by the time next season starts
Nano

Postby Swashy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:05 pm

Nano wrote:Guess they're hoping to narrow down stadium search to 3 by October, and we may know where the Rays will eventually be playing by the time next season starts

Well hot diggity damn. I was hoping by New Years but that's progress enough for me. Good hopefully by the end of next season they'll have figured out how they want to get it paid for and by April 2018 they'll put the proper legislation into motion.

Thank you mayor Kriseman for finally allowing things to get going and instituting full cooperation in the process. If we get a ballpark built you deserve a box seat for life.
Swashy

Postby SIBucsFan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:36 pm

This is Jake Odorizzi (in white) making a catch against two of my teammates in 2007. He was an all-state receiver for Highland (Illinois). Word was he was just an all-state receiver for fun, didn't think much else about the game. I don't blame him, he was such a dominant pitcher in those days.

I hope he stays with the Rays for a while.
SIBucsFan

Postby Swashy » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Alright you miserable SOB's you have ONE job... finish with the 2nd worst record in the league. Just tank so we can draft someone who is actually going to make the majors before he is 25 years old and barely above average. I would absolutely NOT be opposed to trading for top prospects and developing them through 2017-2018 finish with a lousy, horrible year next year and then maybe by 2018-2019 we can start some kind of turnaround project
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Next season is also significant for another reason. 1st season of Evan Longoria's 6yr/$100mil deal he signed in 2012. $13mil salary in 2017 and it, along with the entire contract is fully guaranteed. Will he be traded?
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:51 pm

Let's go Rangers!!! Come on one more loss
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Ughh
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:35 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Next season is also significant for another reason. 1st season of Evan Longoria's 6yr/$100mil deal he signed in 2012. $13mil salary in 2017 and it, along with the entire contract is fully guaranteed. Will he be traded?

If the price was right would absolutely do it. It just makes sense to reload so we can compete down the road. We actually had a decent team assembled but like the Bucs once things went wrong the whole thing just fell apart.

I actually have a lot of faith in our pitching staff. The starting 5 along with Andrese, Ramierz and Colome isn't all that bad. If we could not burn out our bullpen by May I would say we'd actually do fine next year. I think the problems with our starting pitching out the gate is what did us in. You can fix that. But outside of Souza and KK I would say our entire starting lineup is disposable.

What do we have to look forward to? O'Conner, Shaffer, Mahtook, Beckham. Forget about it. I'm not saying they're bad players but what is great about them? I'm tired of "okay" prospects and an infield put together with duct tape super glue. You can only get so far by putting a team together full of guys like Dickerson, Miller, Pearce and Forsythe.

If you trade Evan do it for a top hitting prospect like how Wil Myers was, another hitting prospect who should turn out to be a decent player and maybe some cheap, effective pitcher who we can keep under team control. Just have a good draft this summer and take a position player with that top 5 pick.

In a few years in no particular order you could be looking at a lineup with

1. Souza
2. Kiermeier
3. Top hitting prospect from Longo trade
4. Top draft pick from this summer
5. Position player who could be worth a damn from Longo trade
6. Someone like Willy Adames
7. Who knows?
8. Who knows?
9. Project DH that we sign every year that we hope woks out for us

I know I'm just pulling things out of the air like some out of touch conspiracy theorist but it's merely meant to outline the vision I would hope the Rays would take. I don't actually expect things to happen like this. But with that said I would FAR much rather have this than tearing apart our team with trades and praying it pays off in the form of an 88 win season that sees you lose the AL Wild Card game or the ALDS to the Boston Red Sox. It's okay if don't have a good season... you can reload your pipeline with good drafting and a shrewd Evan Longoria trade.
Swashy

Previous

Return to Other Sports