MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby terrytate » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:09 pm

StillCSG wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Because she's her best at 135. She's the only real name in women's MMA, why would she need to change her weight to put herself at a disadvantage? She does walk around at 150, but doesn't want to fight there.

From what I read Cyborg has to hit 135 or she will no longer be in UFC.

She dominated at 145 in Strike force....so 140 isn't out of the question as a catch weight....and you do understand that if she wants to cut to 135 she can for the catch weight fight (reports are she rehydrates to 142 after cutting to 135)

It's honestly the only fight she has left

Ronda fought at 145 because that was the only womens division that strikeforce had. She is now with the UFC and they only have 135 and 125. Who is Cyborg to demand that Ronda meet her at a weight Ronda doesn't fight at and the UFC doesn't promote fights at. Cyborg is a proven cheat, why should the UFC and Rousey change to accomodate her?
terrytate

Postby StillCSG » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Who else after she demolishes Tate again does Rousey have?
StillCSG

Postby HamBone » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:57 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
StillCSG wrote:Who said it had to be for the belt?

Why would the champ fight a non-title catch weight fight? How often is this done?

It would be as dumb move...I can't see anycompetent management advising her to do that
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:19 am

StillCSG wrote:Who else after she demolishes Tate again does Rousey have?

That's not her problem.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 am

StillCSG wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Why would the champ fight a non-title catch weight fight? How often is this done?

If she truly wants the fight as bad as her camp says she does...she'd do it

Silva was game for Jones at a catch weight...but Jones wouldn't hence Silva moving up to 205

Remember just because it HASN'T happened doesn't mean it CAN'T

The question isn't CAN it happen. It's WHY would it.

Why would the champ move weight to fight? If you want to fight the champ there is a set and proven process to make it happen.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:25 am

HamBone wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

It would be as dumb move...I can't see anycompetent management advising her to do that

Of course not.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
StillCSG wrote:
If she truly wants the fight as bad as her camp says she does...she'd do it

Silva was game for Jones at a catch weight...but Jones wouldn't hence Silva moving up to 205

Remember just because it HASN'T happened doesn't mean it CAN'T

Why would the champ move weight to fight? If you want to fight the champ there is a set and proven process to make it happen.

A lot of people have forgotten this but the UFC had Cyborg under contract at one time. She could have gone in and fought to be the first womens champ in the UFC but she did nothing but gripe and eventually forced her own release. Now that Ronda has taken that torch and carried it to superstardom, she wants to come back and demand a fight that she could have had years ago. She is almost demanding that the champ come to her weight.

No. Cyborg knows what she has to do to get that fight with Ronda. Either she does it, or she can stfu and go away.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:59 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

No. Cyborg knows what she has to do to get that fight with Ronda. Either she does it, or she can stfu and go away.

Pretty much what the UFC contract says from what I read.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:11 pm

I don't understand the logic as to why the onus is on the UFC or Rousey to accommodate fighting at a different weight??

Cyborg is the challenger and far lesser known/valued commodity in women's MMA.

Plus, she's a documented PED user. So fighting at a higher weight class would benefit Cyborg by allowing here to keep the additional weight/muscle that taking PED's provide.

Cyborg use to fight at 135lb prior to "bulking up" and fighting in the 145lb class iirc.

It's 135lbs, or no fight.
DreadNaught

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:25 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I don't understand the logic as to why the onus is on the UFC or Rousey to accommodate fighting at a different weight??

Cyborg is the challenger and far lesser known/valued commodity in women's MMA.

Plus, she's a documented PED user. So fighting at a higher weight class would benefit Cyborg by allowing here to keep the additional weight/muscle that taking PED's provide.

Cyborg use to fight at 135lb prior to "bulking up" and fighting in the 145lb class iirc.

It's 135lbs, or no fight.

It isn't. Just CSG seems to think so. Rousey has nothing to gain in a catch weight fight.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:26 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Pretty much what the UFC contract says from what I read.

Yep. If this fight never happens then that's on the challenger (and documented steroid user).
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:28 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

A lot of people have forgotten this but the UFC had Cyborg under contract at one time. She could have gone in and fought to be the first womens champ in the UFC but she did nothing but gripe and eventually forced her own release. Now that Ronda has taken that torch and carried it to superstardom, she wants to come back and demand a fight that she could have had years ago. She is almost demanding that the champ come to her weight.

Count me in as one who forgot Cyborg was with UFC at one time. I don't remember it at all. Under no circumstances should a champion change weight classes to fight a challenger, though. Especially a challenger who brings so little to the table if you win. Cyborg has nothing to offer.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:17 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Count me in as one who forgot Cyborg was with UFC at one time. I don't remember it at all. Under no circumstances should a champion change weight classes to fight a challenger, though. Especially a challenger who brings so little to the table if you win. Cyborg has nothing to offer.

When the UFC bought out Strikeforce they aquired all of the Strikeforce contracts. That's how the got Ronda, Meisha and all of their first batch of women's fighters, including Cyborg. She never fought for the UFC, but she was under contract with them at that time.
terrytate

Postby StillCSG » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:40 pm

Pro tip....Cyborg IS under a contract to Zuffa....
StillCSG

Postby terrytate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:02 pm

StillCSG wrote:Pro tip....Cyborg IS under a contract to Zuffa....

No **** sherlock. That is a recent development. It still remains to be seen whether she ever actually fights for them, or if she is going to be the Invicta poster girl forever.
terrytate

Postby HamBone » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 am

UNITE HERE has announced an initiative alongside the Teamsters to try and organize MMA fighters in the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC).
HamBone

Postby StillCSG » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:23 am

HamBone wrote:UNITE HERE has announced an initiative alongside the Teamsters to try and organize MMA fighters in the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC).

Never gonna happen....the teams themselves (ATT, Blackzillians, Jackson, etc.) would never allow it
StillCSG

Postby HamBone » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:29 am

StillCSG wrote:
HamBone wrote:UNITE HERE has announced an initiative alongside the Teamsters to try and organize MMA fighters in the Ultimate Fighting Championships (UFC).

Never gonna happen....the teams themselves (ATT, Blackzillians, Jackson, etc.) would never allow it

I guess will see...
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:52 pm

StillCSG wrote:

Why? IMHO it would be better for the fighters.
PrimeMinister

Postby StillCSG » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:15 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
StillCSG wrote:

Why? IMHO it would be better for the fighters.

The teams themselves would have to cede some of the control they have...won't happen
StillCSG

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

DreadNaught

Postby HamBone » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:03 am

Rousey's coach stated she will not fight Cyborg at catch weight.
HamBone

Postby HamBone » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:07 pm

2 on 2 MMA? No thanks...
HamBone

Postby terrytate » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:52 am

HamBone wrote:Rousey's coach stated she will not fight Cyborg at catch weight.

Nor should she.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 pm

terrytate wrote:
HamBone wrote:Rousey's coach stated she will not fight Cyborg at catch weight.

Nor should she.

Exactly. It makes no sense.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:35 pm

Tate should be fighting Rousey next though. This Holm fight is crap.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Tate should be fighting Rousey next though. This Holm fight is crap.

That's a pointless fight as well considering we've seen it twice...

Really there's only 1 fight that will challenge Rousey and I don't see it happening. (Cyborg)
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:14 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Tate should be fighting Rousey next though. This Holm fight is crap.

That's a pointless fight as well considering we've seen it twice...

Really there's only 1 fight that will challenge Rousey and I don't see it happening. (Cyborg)

Cyborg won't come down so it will never happen. Tate is the best fight otherwise. Yes we have seen it twice, but do we really want to see more Rousey of wrecking everyone in :30 seconds? Tate would be the most competitive.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:41 am

Tate has been armbarred twice already, is a third fight that exciting? The Holm fight was going to happen if not next but after Rousey's next fight. Holm was brought in specifically to fight Rousey and her first few UFC fights were little more than tuneups to get her used to the UFC cage and the ruleset. Holm will present a unique challenge because she is the only woman out there capable of fighting a stick and move, Machida style of fight against Rousey with a reach advantage. Obviously, I still favor Rousey but it's not inconceivable that Holm could jab her way to a decision.

In short, Holm is a new face who presents a totally different challenge to anyone Rousey has fought before.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:46 am

terrytate wrote:

Tate has been armbarred twice already, is a third fight that exciting? The Holm fight was going to happen if not next but after Rousey's next fight. Holm was brought in specifically to fight Rousey and her first few UFC fights were little more than tuneups to get her used to the UFC cage and the ruleset. Holm will present a unique challenge because she is the only woman out there capable of fighting a stick and move, Machida style of fight against Rousey with a reach advantage. Obviously, I still favor Rousey but it's not inconceivable that Holm could jab her way to a decision.

In short, Holm is a new face who presents a totally different challenge to anyone Rousey has fought before.

Holm was nearly horrible in her first UFC fights. I was excited to see her, but man if she isn't boring as hell. Not boring-but-effective. I mean boring-you-need-to-fight-lesser-competition.

Yes she was brought in for Ronda, but she isn't ready. At this point Holm's best draw is that she isn't Tate and is a new face. She will offer nothing to stop Rousey simply because she doesn't have the octagon experience to do so yet. Given time I think she could be a formidable opponent.
PrimeMinister

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports