MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby StillCSG » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:14 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Jon wrecked him. Cormier might be broken as a fighter.

Jones wrecked him the first time, Cormier did ok afterwards. The simple fact that Cormier is the second best LHW of all time cursed with living in the era of the best LHW of all time.

Cormier isn't even close to top 5 all time

Otiz in his prime would have destroyed him
Shogun in his prime would have destroyed him and Put his arm on his mantle (that was for Slim...miss ya)
Hendo in his prime would have fucked Cormier up
Lidell would have beaten him to a pulp
Silva would have murdered him

Hell Couture would have made Cormier his bitch
StillCSG

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:47 pm

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Jon wrecked him. Cormier might be broken as a fighter.

Jones wrecked him the first time, Cormier did ok afterwards. The simple fact that Cormier is the second best LHW of all time cursed with living in the era of the best LHW of all time.

I agree. I saw Cormier man be broken because I don't see him being able to accept that Bones is just a greater fighter.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:49 pm

StillCSG wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Shogun in his prime would have destroyed him and Put his arm on his mantle (that was for Slim...miss ya)

Hendo & Lidell would have been ground up by Cormier. Silva would have killed Cormier. Ortiz & Shogun are toss ups to me.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:35 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
StillCSG wrote:

Hendo & Lidell would have been ground up by Cormier. Silva would have killed Cormier. Ortiz & Shogun are toss ups to me.

I agree. Silva is the only person on that list who would have been a favorite.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

DC would be favored over all of them.

And that's only if we are talking about the juiced-to-the-gills Wandy that we saw in Pride. USADA Wandy without access to soccer kicks isn't as scary. Ortiz best skill was wrestling, DC is a former Olympic wrestler with vastly better standup than Tito, he'd have absolutely mauled any version of Ortiz. Hendo would have been interesting, his H-bomb can end any fight but as we saw against Rumble, DC has a fantastic chin. Hendo likely loses by wrestlefuck. Shogun wasn't dangerous because of his BJJ..much like Wandy it was his Chute Boxe Mauy Thai that scared people. Prime Rua might have done it, but again we are talking about the juiced version with access to Pride soccer kicks. Liddell might have made it more interesting than you think, his bread and butter was takedown defense and knocking out wrestlers and he did it all in the same cage DC works in. I still think DC takes Prime Liddell, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:50 am

terrytate wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

DC would be favored over all of them.

And that's only if we are talking about the juiced-to-the-gills Wandy that we saw in Pride. USADA Wandy without access to soccer kicks isn't as scary. Ortiz best skill was wrestling, DC is a former Olympic wrestler with vastly better standup than Tito, he'd have absolutely mauled any version of Ortiz. Hendo would have been interesting, his H-bomb can end any fight but as we saw against Rumble, DC has a fantastic chin. Hendo likely loses by wrestlefuck. Shogun wasn't dangerous because of his BJJ..much like Wandy it was his Chute Boxe Mauy Thai that scared people. Prime Rua might have done it, but again we are talking about the juiced version with access to Pride soccer kicks. Liddell might have made it more interesting than you think, his bread and butter was takedown defense and knocking out wrestlers and he did it all in the same cage DC works in. I still think DC takes Prime Liddell, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

I basically agreed with all of that except I said that prime Silva would have beaten DC and I don't think there's much argument against that.

edit: Jones is such a freak. He just earned his blue belt in BJJ(if you don't know that's the belt after white belt or beginner), he doesn't have great boxing/stand up technique, he's not a great wrestler...but he's ****ing awesome. Sometimes he looks terrible in the ring, but he just wins.
uscbucsfan

Postby HamBone » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:50 pm

It was a good UFC. Hopefully, Jones can be the Champ he should be...and him paying respect to DC after the fight was a good sign.

I feel bad for DC...though.
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:51 pm

D.C. looked exactly like Luke Kuechly after his concussion.
PrimeMinister

Postby Alpha » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:33 pm

Y'all need to slow your roll.

Hendo and Silva were not primarily LHW fighters; especially in their hay-day. They fought mainly as Middleweights. Sure...they "walked around" as LHW but they had few LHW fights, in their prime(s).

That said...I still think they would eat Cormier's lunch.

Jones is an interesting argument...I'm not exactly sure how great he is (when talking All-Time). The results speak for themselves, obviously. LHW is a tough division to judge, considering it's nearly a "catchweight" category...I'd LOVE to see how he does as a HW...or even MW (If he can make that weight). Frankly, there are just better fighters at those classes than there are at LHW, currently. Lidel, Couture, Rua...those days are long gone. LHW just doesn't have the talent any longer.

Would LOVE to see Jones v. Lesnar.
Alpha

Postby terrytate » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:06 am

Alpha wrote:Y'all need to slow your roll.

Hendo and Silva were not primarily LHW fighters; especially in their hay-day. They fought mainly as Middleweights. Sure...they "walked around" as LHW but they had few LHW fights, in their prime(s).

You are right yet you are dead wrong. They fought the bulk of their career in Pride and in Pride the middleweight division had a weight limit of 209, as opposed to 205 in the UFC. SO, they actually had 4 more pounds on the UFC LHW.

DC still would have mauled him though. DC was able to physically dominate top 10 HW's with his wrestling. Wandy's TDD and sub game were never that strong. He'd have put Silva on his back in a hurry and had his way with him. Wandy only ever fought one guy with a style close to DC, Prime Tito, and he lost that fight. Seriously, if Rumble couldn't dent DC's chin, how can you think Wandy was such an impossible matchup?
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:12 am

I can't get behind DC beating Silva. He's debatably the best ever in his prime. He would have destroyed DC. I've seen nothing from DC that would say otherwise and I'm not even counting 5 years past prime Silva having some great moments against prime DC on short notice.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:03 am

I just realized...y'all are talking Wanderlei. LOL!

Someone answer me this. I've been watching MMA for quite a while now. Back in the day, where (on tv) could you watch PRIDE? I remember Spike used to carry WEC (I think was the name of the promotion) but I don't recall being able to watch PRIDE anywhere. Thus...I didn't really see Silva and Henderson until they joined UFC. Same with fighters like Emelienko. Would've loved to have seen them in their prime...
Alpha

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:09 am

I thought they were talking about Anderson Silva.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:23 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I thought they were talking about Anderson Silva.

I am talking about Anderson...have been the entire time. MW or LHW, Silva would beat DC. He presents a lot of the same problems Jones does. Where he doesn't have the same length and natural power, he was more skilled.

edit: I completely skimmed over Terry say Wandy. I thought he was talking the Spider as well.
uscbucsfan

Postby Alpha » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:I thought they were talking about Anderson Silva.

I am talking about Anderson...have been the entire time. MW or LHW, Silva would beat DC. He presents a lot of the same problems Jones does. Where he doesn't have the same length and natural power, he was more skilled.

edit: I completely skimmed over Terry say Wandy. I thought he was talking the Spider as well.

Good. So I wasn't the only one.

As far as I recall. Spider only had a few LHW fights. 4 or so? The vast majority were at MW.

I never really got to see Wandy fight in his prime having never really had access to PRIDE. By the time he got to UFC, I saw him take some pretty devastating knockouts.
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Alpha wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I am talking about Anderson...have been the entire time. MW or LHW, Silva would beat DC. He presents a lot of the same problems Jones does. Where he doesn't have the same length and natural power, he was more skilled.

As far as I recall. Spider only had a few LHW fights. 4 or so? The vast majority were at MW.

I never really got to see Wandy fight in his prime having never really had access to PRIDE. By the time he got to UFC, I saw him take some pretty devastating knockouts.

Prime PRIDE was amazing. It was a much better product than UFC at the time because there were so many great fighters. Yes, all of the fighters fought freak shows, but they also had crazy match ups. I really liked the rules better in PRIDE with down kicks and whatnot, but the cage is better than the ring.

That's what got me started on MMA.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:27 am

Alpha wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I am talking about Anderson...have been the entire time. MW or LHW, Silva would beat DC. He presents a lot of the same problems Jones does. Where he doesn't have the same length and natural power, he was more skilled.

Just Youtube his fights vs Rampage in Pride to see what he was capable of.

Also, I am pretty sure that even Prime Silva falls to DC. Good wrestlers have always been able to get Andy on the ground, he's just had good enough BJJ to survive and eventually sweep back to his feet. Then he'd take them out pretty quick. DC would get him down and he'd never get up. It would look like Sonnen 1 only with a vastly more powerful man throwing the GnP. Lastly, remember that his 205 pound fights were largely against slow moving scrubs. DC is not James Irvin or Forrest Griffin.

Barnett here weight about 50 to 60 pounds more than Andy, and is a highly accomplished grappler. DC spent the whole fight doing this to him.

So long as DC could survive the flash KO, and after seeing him eat Rumble's best shots I think he could, He'd have physically mauled Anderson Silva in a way you never saw happen.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 am

terrytate wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Also, I am pretty sure that even Prime Silva falls to DC. Good wrestlers have always been able to get Andy on the ground, he's just had good enough BJJ to survive and eventually sweep back to his feet. Then he'd take them out pretty quick. DC would get him down and he'd never get up. It would look like Sonnen 1 only with a vastly more powerful man throwing the GnP. Lastly, remember that his 205 pound fights were largely against slow moving scrubs. DC is not James Irvin or Forrest Griffin.

Barnett here weight about 50 to 60 pounds more than Andy, and is a highly accomplished grappler. DC spent the whole fight doing this to him.

So long as DC could survive the flash KO, and after seeing him eat Rumble's best shots I think he could, He'd have physically mauled Anderson Silva in a way you never saw happen.

One of those 205 pound slow moving scrubs was DC.

Prime Silva wins easily...His stand up game was better than Bones. He knocks DC out.

I think you are vastly overrating DC.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:21 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

One of those 205 pound slow moving scrubs was DC.

Prime Silva wins easily...His stand up game was better than Bones. He knocks DC out.

His stand up was better than Bones, but he wouldn't have beaten Bones either. DC is not Forest Griffin slow either. That gif is in slow motion, at game speed DC just snatched Barnett up in the blink of an eye. We are starting to go in circles though, might be time to agree to disagree
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:33 pm

terrytate wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:One of those 205 pound slow moving scrubs was DC.

His stand up was better than Bones, but he wouldn't have beaten Bones either. DC is not Forest Griffin slow either. That gif is in slow motion, at game speed DC just snatched Barnett up in the blink of an eye. We are starting to go in circles though, might be time to agree to disagree

The only thing I will say is a way way over the hill Silva could not be put away by DC who had been preparing for a foe with similar skill set. Silva had some great moments in that fight, too. Some of his best moments in the last 3-4 years.

We will agree to disagree.

I do think Prime Silva could have beaten Bones, but that's more of a toss up.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:31 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
terrytate wrote:

The only thing I will say is a way way over the hill Silva could not be put away by DC who had been preparing for a foe with similar skill set. Silva had some great moments in that fight, too. Some of his best moments in the last 3-4 years.

We will agree to disagree.

I do think Prime Silva could have beaten Bones, but that's more of a toss up.

The only reason I disagree with all of this is because DC and Jones have the chops to take any version of Anderson down and keep him there. Andy would have had very short windows in each round with which to put away his opponent. Andy made his career wrecking brawlers or BJJ guys with limited takedowns. The only died-in-the-wool wrestler with strong takedowns he ever fought was Chael Sonnen, who nearly beat Andy. Jones rag dolled Sonnen. Just threw him around like a bag of laundry. DC is a former Olympic wrestler and was a contender at HW, he said Jones was even stronger than he was in the clinch.

As the saying goes, styles make fights. Jones and DC both present styles that would have been difficult for Andy even without their big size advantages. Jon Jones would have been far too much for even Prime Anderson. He has the length to engage from outside of Silva's effective striking range, he's very disciplined and not prone to stupid mistakes, he always has a sharp gameplan and sticks to it, he has KO power from countless angles AND it's all but certain that he would have put Silva on his back and opened up with those elbows. Prime Anderson is on the shortlist for best of all time, but Jones is right there with him on that list AND has a number of stark physical advantages. No way I'd bet on Silva vs Jones.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:35 pm

Jon Jones tested positive again.

Some think he's done fighting. DC is the champ, again.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:45 pm

I hope this isn't true.

Dana saying they haven't stripped Jones.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Jon Jones is frickin idiot!!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Wesmon » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

So Conor is off boxing, Rousey is retired and Bones is looking at a four year ban. I wonder if WME is regretting buying the UFC? PPV numbers are really suffering this year.
Wesmon

Postby NYBF » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Jon Jones tested positive again.

I know I am shocked the guy who failed 3 (4? 5? 10?) straight drug tests didn't pass THIS time.
NYBF

Postby terrytate » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:49 pm

Wesmon wrote:So Conor is off boxing, Rousey is retired and Bones is looking at a four year ban. I wonder if WME is regretting buying the UFC? PPV numbers are really suffering this year.

They were absolutely crazy for spending 4 billion on the UFC. Completely and totally batshit crazy.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Yeah they aren't getting that money back anytime soon.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:32 pm

The UFC needs that trilogy fight between Conor and Nate now more than ever.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:46 pm

real bucs fan wrote:The UFC needs that trilogy fight between Conor and Nate now more than ever.

I don't think this is what it needs at all. I don't think that would be a must buy for MMA fans and casuals will watch who ever Conor fights next regardless in aftermath of this match. Make it someone more exciting.

Conor vs. GSP or even Khabib would be bigger/better.

I initially said Woodley, but Woodley is wildly unpopular and can be terribly boring to watch.

Nate Diaz/Conor was big because of Conor. We've seen it twice, I don't see the allure.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports