MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby Wesmon » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:33 pm

terrytate wrote:My cable and internet was out all weekend, I did not get to watch 205.

I wish everyone at Frontier had one neck, so I could choke all of them at the same time.

I was thinking of switching from Brighthouse so I went to check some Frontier reviews. Wow, they sound like they are gutting the company to make a quick profit with no regard for actually delivering working internet. Definitely see a class action suit coming against them.
Wesmon

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:17 am

If you haven't seen the Nunes v Ronda fight please enjoy:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56xcrc_noons_people
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:38 am

Like I said before Rousey need to retire

She sucks period
Phantom Phenom

Postby The Outsider » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:16 am

Amazing that in all of this time she still hasn't learned how to defend against a punch. Even accidentally.
The Outsider

Postby Wesmon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:48 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Like I said before Rousey need to retire

She sucks period

I'd kind of like to see her try a second comeback and get humiliated again.

Garbrandt really impressed me last night. He really beat Cruz at his own game, quickness, head movement and footwork.
Wesmon

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:17 am

NYSAC has pulled Pearl Gonzalez from UFC 210 because she has breast implants.
HamBone

Postby HamBone » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Aaaaaaaand....she's back on the card. Lol
HamBone

Postby tampabay4eva » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:52 pm

I was impressed with Cormier losing a pound in 2 minutes.
tampabay4eva

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:42 pm

tampabay4eva wrote:I was impressed with Cormier losing a pound in 2 minutes.

Thank God for that towel.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:05 am

Rumble loses and then retires.

Mousasi v Weidman ended in an absolute meltdown by the commission.

WTF???
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:08 pm

Blame Weidman as much as the commission and ref. He told the docs he was hurt and couldn't remember anything when he thought the knee was illegal. When they went to replay and found both knees to be completely legal, all of sudden he was fine and wanted to continue.

Dude was fishing for an easy DQ win and it bit him in the arse. GG Chris, hope you like Bellator.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:40 pm

terrytate wrote:Blame Weidman as much as the commission and ref. He told the docs he was hurt and couldn't remember anything when he thought the knee was illegal. When they went to replay and found both knees to be completely legal, all of sudden he was fine and wanted to continue.

Dude was fishing for an easy DQ win and it bit him in the arse. GG Chris, hope you like Bellator.

Weidman was absolutely at fault as well. He was pushing for a DQ and played himself. I don't feel bad for him at all.
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Maybe you guys can answer this for me regarding the Weidman fight.

He gets kneed. Referee calls it an illegal knee. He gets up to 5 min to rest. Then the commentators and some other ref start watching the video. They see it was a legal knee. The commentators then say there is no replay in NY.

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. The ref outside the ring then tells the ref inside the ring it was a legal knee. They keep allowing Weidman to rest. Rogan has a ****ing coronary about it being a legal knee and demanding answers. After about a minute of this they call off the fight awarding a TKO.

If there is no replay in NY, shouldn't the referee's call of an illegal knee stand? Weidman given the time to rest, and then go from there?

I'm not saying Weidman should have gotten the DQ. He definitely played himself looking for the easy way out. But if there is no replay, shouldn't the ref's call stand?
NYBF

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:13 pm

NYBF wrote:Maybe you guys can answer this for me regarding the Weidman fight.

He gets kneed. Referee calls it an illegal knee. He gets up to 5 min to rest. Then the commentators and some other ref start watching the video. They see it was a legal knee. The commentators then say there is no replay in NY.

This is the part that doesn't make sense to me. The ref outside the ring then tells the ref inside the ring it was a legal knee. They keep allowing Weidman to rest. Rogan has a ****ing coronary about it being a legal knee and demanding answers. After about a minute of this they call off the fight awarding a TKO.

If there is no replay in NY, shouldn't the referee's call of an illegal knee stand? Weidman given the time to rest, and then go from there?

I'm not saying Weidman should have gotten the DQ. He definitely played himself looking for the easy way out. But if there is no replay, shouldn't the ref's call stand?

Absolutely. At the VERY least they should have restarted the fight and this wouldn't be as big a deal. Because of this the fight will probably be overturned to a NC.

Did the Doctor or the Commission call the fight off??
PrimeMinister

Postby NYBF » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:15 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
NYBF wrote:Maybe you guys can answer this for me regarding the Weidman fight.

Absolutely. At the VERY least they should have restarted the fight and this wouldn't be as big a deal. Because of this the fight will probably be overturned to a NC.

Did the Doctor or the Commission call the fight off??

I don't think they ever said. But I think there were 2 doctors in the ring? And the woman seemed to be saying he couldn't continue the fight.
NYBF

Postby HamBone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:41 pm

Aug 26 Mayweather v McGregor...just got the alert
HamBone

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Mayweather is at -1000
Zarniwoop

Postby HamBone » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

Floyd must be making a GRIP to agree to this...
HamBone

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:43 pm

HamBone wrote:Floyd must be making a GRIP to agree to this...

I'm assuming $100M+ payday
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:41 am

This isn't going to be a fight. You have the most skilled defensive fighter of his generation going up against a guy who has no reason, up until now, to grasp the finer points of straight boxing. Floyd can drive even the most experienced and disciplined boxer insane with his defense. This is going to be like having a contest to see who can best reproduce the Mona Lisa from memory, with Da Vinci himself going up against the world's best house painter. I'll take that bet -1000 with any of you millennial MMA Tapout bro dogs (or I would if gambling were legal, which it is not.)
MJW

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:32 am

The worst part is that Floyds fights arent even all that interesting or entertaining...unless you are specifically trying to dissect defense. If you are just sitting at a bar drinking with buddies they are a snooze fest
Zarniwoop

Postby acmillis » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:48 am

MJW wrote:This isn't going to be a fight. You have the most skilled defensive fighter of his generation going up against a guy who has no reason, up until now, to grasp the finer points of straight boxing. Floyd can drive even the most experienced and disciplined boxer insane with his defense. This is going to be like having a contest to see who can best reproduce the Mona Lisa from memory, with Da Vinci himself going up against the world's best house painter. I'll take that bet -1000 with any of you millennial MMA Tapout bro dogs (or I would if gambling were legal, which it is not.)

I'm one of those Millenials...and I agree whole heatedly with you sentiments. McGregor's total career, he's had 2 fights last more than 10 minutes. I think McGregor goes punch happy, loses all energy by round 5, and then we watch two guys dance for the next 20 minutes...as is Mayweather's specialty. ...or Mayweather takes a dive to setup an even bigger pay day.
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:25 am

acmillis wrote:
MJW wrote:This isn't going to be a fight. You have the most skilled defensive fighter of his generation going up against a guy who has no reason, up until now, to grasp the finer points of straight boxing. Floyd can drive even the most experienced and disciplined boxer insane with his defense. This is going to be like having a contest to see who can best reproduce the Mona Lisa from memory, with Da Vinci himself going up against the world's best house painter. I'll take that bet -1000 with any of you millennial MMA Tapout bro dogs (or I would if gambling were legal, which it is not.)

I'm one of those Millenials...and I agree whole heatedly with you sentiments. McGregor's total career, he's had 2 fights last more than 10 minutes. I think McGregor goes punch happy, loses all energy by round 5, and then we watch two guys dance for the next 20 minutes...as is Mayweather's specialty. ...or Mayweather takes a dive to setup an even bigger pay day.

There is no way Mayweather takes a dive and puts a L on his record imo. Floyd has strategically navigated his opponents his entire career and him retiring undefeated means almost as much as money.

That said, there is no way Floyd loses in a boxing match to an MMA fighter. I suppose McGregor has a 'punchers chance', but I agree Floyd will just dip and dodge for the first few rounds until eventually knocking McGregor out or tapping his face for 12 rounds.

Manny Pacquiao could barely hit Floyd, I don't see a way Conor is going to inflict damage.
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am

acmillis wrote:

McGregor isn't a super punch happy type of fighter. He is a counter puncher for the most part, but he's accurate and hits hard. There won't be another fight regardless I wouldn't think. I don't think Mayweather would take a dive and ruin his career unbeaten record.

There's a slight chance McGregor could get a flash KO, but there's about a 98% chance McGregor never touches Mayweather and it's more boring than Mayweather-Pacqio.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 am

McGregor has the same window to beat Floyd as every other fighter before him: 2 rounds.

Mayweather usually takes 1-2 rounds to get a feel for range, speed and power. That's his only vulnerable point in a fight. Look back over his career and that's when he gets hurt and when the crowd gets excited that "This might be the night mayweather loses omg!!!"

That's when he can be KO'd. After that point Floyd has adjusted and the opponents can no longer touch him. Frustration builds and generally the fighter gets even sloppier trying to hit the guy he felt like he hurt In round 1 or 2. Suddenly that same guy is nowhere to be found by any of your punches.

If round 3 begins the fight is over.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:53 am

One X-factor that no one seems to be saying yet is age. Mayweather's historic defense is based on perfect technique, reflexes and speed. If reflexes or speed suffer then his decline can be enough to get him KO'd.
PrimeMinister

Postby HamBone » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:02 pm

Gaethje...wow
HamBone

Postby StillCSG » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:07 am

Hopefully Cormier slinks back into his hole now and shuts the **** up
StillCSG

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:26 pm

Jon wrecked him. Cormier might be broken as a fighter.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:41 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Jon wrecked him. Cormier might be broken as a fighter.

Jones wrecked him the first time, Cormier did ok afterwards. The simple fact that Cormier is the second best LHW of all time cursed with living in the era of the best LHW of all time.
terrytate

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports