MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 pm

real bucs fan wrote:Diaz walking off was a bit childish, but the more I think about it, the more I get. It's mental warfare, and Conor showing up an hour late and acting like he's better than everybody was disrespectful, so Diaz had to show him up. An eye for an eye. Then things got hilarious. Watching Conor scrambling to grab everyones water and Monster drinks to chuck them was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on Live TV.

Yep, Conor has been disrespectful of other's time since he came to the UFC. He is always late and until yesterday the press conferences always waited on him. Nate played it perfectly imo. He denied Conor his moment to say ridiculous things on the mic.

Smart move.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Prolly gonna laydown $50 or 100 on a Diaz/Texeira parlay. Pays 5:1.

Apparently Nick isnt gonna be allowed to be in Nates corner due to some BS technicality of his BS suspension. I think Nate is gonna be as focused a Nater as we've seen. And I just like Glover, he's been killing me on Embedded. Conor spent $300,000 on his camp, and it looks like Glover spent 300$. But guy is just a natural born fighter like Diaz and doesn't need the bells and whistles to bring his A game.
real bucs fan

Postby HamBone » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:59 pm

acmillis wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:That PRESSER WAS THE GREATEST THING EVER...

Bleh..This sport was better when it was called WWF

And there is a lawsuit because of the presser fiasco...according to Dana.

He also said both fighters will probably be fined and suspended by the Nevada Athletic Commision.

I think the smack talk is hilarious...but the bottle throwing is asinine.
HamBone

Postby terrytate » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:34 pm

That was one of the most brutal KO's I've seen. I think Glover STILL thinks the fight is going on.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:35 pm

I disagree with the decision.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:52 am

PrimeMinister wrote:I disagree with the decision.

It was fair. It was a very close fight and it was a win by split decision, which is as narrow of a win as they come.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:37 am

Props to Mcregor. He showed wind and toughness I didn't know he had in him.

As for the decision, coulda gone either way I thought but sets up a trilogy fight which I would look forward too. I know no belt was on the line, but for my money those 2 fights between Conor and Diaz were 2 of the best of the year so far.
real bucs fan

Postby Wesmon » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:54 am

I had DIaz winning four rounds, but you could argue that it was three. Either way, that was a Diaz win cut and dried.

I can see why the UFC would do this as Conor is their biggest draw, but they are killing the sport by becoming another WWE.

The sad thing to me was seeing Joe Rogan go along with it. A few years ago he still would call it out when there was a bad decision.
Wesmon

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:45 pm

I had Conor winning rounds 1,2, and 4. So I agree with the decision, but it was close.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:47 pm

I had it 47-47 with McGregor taking round 1 10-8.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:59 pm

Wesmon wrote:
I can see why the UFC would do this as Conor is their biggest draw, but they are killing the sport by becoming another WWE.

The sad thing to me was seeing Joe Rogan go along with it. A few years ago he still would call it out when there was a bad decision.

Talk about sour grapes. Welcome to the world of fighting.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:15 pm

Wesmon wrote:I had DIaz winning four rounds, but you could argue that it was three. Either way, that was a Diaz win cut and dried.

Your opinion is not fact.

Many people, myself included gave Conor 3 rounds. It was close, razor close, but it IS up for debate. So no, it's not a fix.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Reading between the lines, sounds like Conor is gonna stay in the 155 division and likely take on Alvarez for the belt. And then the third trilogy fight could be for the strap if he were to win. Probably would be the biggest fight in UFC history.

I know some people hate rematches but how can you not love Conor and Nate scrapping? **** is just epic.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:41 pm

terrytate wrote:
Wesmon wrote:I had DIaz winning four rounds, but you could argue that it was three. Either way, that was a Diaz win cut and dried.

Your opinion is not fact.

Many people, myself included gave Conor 3 rounds. It was close, razor close, but it IS up for debate. So no, it's not a fix.

Most major publications agreed with the results. I have felt like he has before. I've watched fights and have been blown away at the outcome almost to the point where I thought it was rigged (Hendricks v GSP, GSP v Penn, Rua v Machida 1, and more). It's the nature of fighting if it gets to the judges. I know you either enter a fight with bias or create one as you are watching a fight, usually because someone's tactics annoy you or a great round pushes you in favor one way, but that's what happens when there is such little separation when going to the judges. I had it going to Conor, but I really felt it was almost a draw. Round 1 and 2 were clearly Conor(In round 2, Conor had 2 "knockdowns" and dominated the round until the last min), while 3 and 5 were clearly Diaz. Round 4 was so close, but I gave it to Conor.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:38 pm

This was the weirdest UFC event I've seen. CM Punk got molested on PPV. Werdum opens a fight with a flying video game kick to Browe's face and ends it with a front kick to Browne's trainer. Then Stipe and Reem have a wild one round fight. Reem says he felt Stipe tap after the fight so Joe Rogan shows the replay to Reem until you see Reem's soul leave his body.
terrytate

Postby HamBone » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 am

Yeah, Werdum v Browne was crazy...the time out where Werdum didn't see the Ref call TO and punch Travis in the face. Lol.

I actually felt bad for Punk...after the beat down. And, no...you won't be back.
HamBone

Postby terrytate » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:05 pm

HamBone wrote:Yeah, Werdum v Browne was crazy...the time out where Werdum didn't see the Ref call TO and punch Travis in the face. Lol.

I actually felt bad for Punk...after the beat down. And, no...you won't be back.

Werdum didn't see the ref call time out because the ref didn't call time out, not until after the punch. The ref had no real ground to call time out in the first place, Browne can't call TO because of a finger injury.
terrytate

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:18 pm

terrytate wrote:This was the weirdest UFC event I've seen. CM Punk got molested on PPV. Werdum opens a fight with a flying video game kick to Browe's face and ends it with a front kick to Browne's trainer. Then Stipe and Reem have a wild one round fight. Reem says he felt Stipe tap after the fight so Joe Rogan shows the replay to Reem until you see Reem's soul leave his body.

CM Punk's fight made me think back to Herschel Walker in Strikeforce. Herschel did the same thing as Punk but was several years older and he looked a million times better. Granted, his competition wasn't as good as Gall but he did fight credible professional fighters and beat them both.

Yeah, that was a weird UFC, but fun. I loved the energy from the crowd and the Stipe- Overreem fight was great. They need to go back to Cleveland.
Wesmon

Postby terrytate » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Wesmon wrote:
terrytate wrote:This was the weirdest UFC event I've seen. CM Punk got molested on PPV. Werdum opens a fight with a flying video game kick to Browe's face and ends it with a front kick to Browne's trainer. Then Stipe and Reem have a wild one round fight. Reem says he felt Stipe tap after the fight so Joe Rogan shows the replay to Reem until you see Reem's soul leave his body.

CM Punk's fight made me think back to Herschel Walker in Strikeforce. Herschel did the same thing as Punk but was several years older and he looked a million times better. Granted, his competition wasn't as good as Gall but he did fight credible professional fighters and beat them both.

Yeah, that was a weird UFC, but fun. I loved the energy from the crowd and the Stipe- Overreem fight was great. They need to go back to Cleveland.

Herchel Walker was a true A level athlete. Before he even dreamed of being in MMA, Walker excelled at track & field and football in the NCAA and was one of the most successful and athletic RBs in the NFL. Not to be forgotten, he went to the Olympics in the bobsled as well. Punk was a pro rassler with no notable athletic accomplishments. Punk isn't exceptionally strong or fast, he had nothing to make up for his lack of experience.
terrytate

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:19 pm

terrytate wrote:
Wesmon wrote:

Herchel Walker was a true A level athlete. Before he even dreamed of being in MMA, Walker excelled at track & field and football in the NCAA and was one of the most successful and athletic RBs in the NFL. Not to be forgotten, he went to the Olympics in the bobsled as well. Punk was a pro rassler with no notable athletic accomplishments. Punk isn't exceptionally strong or fast, he had nothing to make up for his lack of experience.

Yeah, you are totally right about Herschel being an elite athlete. Eventually the UFC will get some of those elite athletes coming in young and they will dominate. Jon Jones is the closest thing so far. It was still impressive to seem him compete at that level in his mid 40's after training MMA for a short time.

I also think Herschel has some weird OCD thing where he trains his ass off and I doubt CM Punk trained half as hard.
Wesmon

Postby HamBone » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:26 pm

terrytate wrote:
HamBone wrote:Yeah, Werdum v Browne was crazy...the time out where Werdum didn't see the Ref call TO and punch Travis in the face. Lol.

Werdum didn't see the ref call time out because the ref didn't call time out, not until after the punch. The ref had no real ground to call time out in the first place, Browne can't call TO because of a finger injury.

He actually did call TO...if you watch the replay you can see him make the TO signal with his hands...but his back was to Werdum.
HamBone

Postby terrytate » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Wesmon wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Yeah, you are totally right about Herschel being an elite athlete. Eventually the UFC will get some of those elite athletes coming in young and they will dominate. Jon Jones is the closest thing so far. It was still impressive to seem him compete at that level in his mid 40's after training MMA for a short time.

I also think Herschel has some weird OCD thing where he trains his ass off and I doubt CM Punk trained half as hard.

Believe it or not, Jon Jones is not that great of an athlete. There is a video floating around of him trying to dunk a basketball. It''s......kind of sad lol.

So far, the most freakish athlete in UFC history is Lesnar. He damn near made the team with the Vikings in 2004 after a few years of wrasslin and not having played football since high school. His performance at the combine was great too. At 283 he ran a 4.7 and put up 44 reps. That blows Gerald McCoy out of the water.
terrytate

Postby RedLeader » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:58 pm

So, Ronda Rousey showed up at my kids pop warner football practice the other night... Apparently she's dating one of the coaches on our peewee team.

She was great with the kids despite having a bunch of dads fawning all over her. But was awesome, took pics and ****. She's short.

What's funny is that my wife had actually spotted her around the field the week before, but I thought she was crazy. Lol.
RedLeader

Postby terrytate » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:10 am

RedLeader wrote:So, Ronda Rousey showed up at my kids pop warner football practice the other night... Apparently she's dating one of the coaches on our peewee team.

She was great with the kids despite having a bunch of dads fawning all over her. But was awesome, took pics and ****. She's short.

What's funny is that my wife had actually spotted her around the field the week before, but I thought she was crazy. Lol.

Unless that coach is Travis Browne, I am calling horseshit on this one.
terrytate

Postby Wesmon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:24 pm

Best card in UFC history for 205. I hope none of these fights fall out.

Eddie Alvarez (c) vs. Conor McGregor
Tyron Woodley (c) vs. Stephen Thompson
Joanna Jędrzejczyk (c) vs. Karolina Kowalkiewicz
Chris Weidman vs. Yoel Romero
Donald Cerrone vs. Kelvin Gastelum
Miesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
Frankie Edgar vs. Jeremy Stephens
Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans
Tim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
Jim Miller vs. Thiago Alves
Lyman Good vs. Belal Muhammad
Liz Carmouche vs. Katlyn Chookagian

Only thing that kinda sucks is that McGregor and the UFC are playing games with the Featherweight belt. Aldo is getting screwed. But you can't be disappointed with that Conor Eddie fight. Will be a great one.
Wesmon

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:56 pm

Didn't Dana swear that Conor was going to defend the FW belt?
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:03 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Didn't Dana swear that Conor was going to defend the FW belt?

I believe he has to next fight or he will lose it.

I think that's fair.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:27 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Didn't Dana swear that Conor was going to defend the FW belt?

I believe he has to next fight or he will lose it.

I think that's fair.

He said this before the last Diaz fight. Not surprised he lied. Just annoying.

Btw I thought it was fair as well when he first said it. Dana is full if it though so I doubt Conor will ever fight at FW again.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Conor and Dana are going for the bigger pay day. It's not like Aldo hasn't backed oup before. It'll happen or he'll lose the belt. I'd rather see this fight anyway
uscbucsfan

Postby Wesmon » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:53 pm

Aldo has asked for his release from the UFC and says he will retire if he doesn't get it. Of course the UFC won't do that, so it would be a shame to see Aldo never fight again because Conor refuses to relinquish a belt he seems to have no desire to defend.
Wesmon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports