MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:05 am

Wesmon wrote:Aldo has asked for his release from the UFC and says he will retire if he doesn't get it. Of course the UFC won't do that, so it would be a shame to see Aldo never fight again because Conor refuses to relinquish a belt he seems to have no desire to defend.

The fact is Aldo is not a big PPV draw. It would be less money for Conor. He wants to hold two belts, he brings the money...I agree with Dana and the UFC with the choice.

If Aldo wants to retire, that's fine, if not he'll get his fight or his within the next 6 months. He could have avoided this by not getting knocked out by Conor.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:28 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Wesmon wrote:Aldo has asked for his release from the UFC and says he will retire if he doesn't get it. Of course the UFC won't do that, so it would be a shame to see Aldo never fight again because Conor refuses to relinquish a belt he seems to have no desire to defend.

The fact is Aldo is not a big PPV draw. It would be less money for Conor. He wants to hold two belts, he brings the money...I agree with Dana and the UFC with the choice.

If Aldo wants to retire, that's fine, if not he'll get his fight or his within the next 6 months. He could have avoided this by not getting knocked out by Conor.

What makes you do sure he gets this fight within 6 months?
PrimeMinister

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:55 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

Exactly. At this point it is obvious that Dana will bend to Conor. If Conor wants Diaz again next, that is what will happen.

That is the problem with going down this road of super fights. They are making money hand over fist for sure, but it will continue to damage the credibility of the sport and I think it will hurt the UFC in the long run.
Wesmon

Postby terrytate » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:35 pm

Wesmon wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Exactly. At this point it is obvious that Dana will bend to Conor. If Conor wants Diaz again next, that is what will happen.

That is the problem with going down this road of super fights. They are making money hand over fist for sure, but it will continue to damage the credibility of the sport and I think it will hurt the UFC in the long run.

Inclined to agree. Personally, I don't care about most of these "Super Fights". Conor isn't going to stay at 170, why keep giving him fights against Diaz there and waste his prime? I'd much rather see him fight Aldo again.

Personally, I think Conor has no intention of going back to 145 due to how hard the weight cut is. I think his game is to get the 155 strap just to be the guy who had both at once, that means he has to stall the 145 belt until it happens. That's why he won't come out and admit that he is done at 145.
terrytate

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:47 pm

terrytate wrote:
Wesmon wrote:

Inclined to agree. Personally, I don't care about most of these "Super Fights". Conor isn't going to stay at 170, why keep giving him fights against Diaz there and waste his prime? I'd much rather see him fight Aldo again.

Personally, I think Conor has no intention of going back to 145 due to how hard the weight cut is. I think his game is to get the 155 strap just to be the guy who had both at once, that means he has to stall the 145 belt until it happens. That's why he won't come out and admit that he is done at 145.

I agree that Conor probably won't fight at 145 in the future. Even his coach says he never wants to see Conor make that weight cut again. The only way I see it happening is if Alvarez beats him decisively at 155, limiting Conor's options.
Wesmon

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:02 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I didn't say that...I said either they would fight, which barring injury Conor will absolutely be fighting again in 6 months or Aldo would get his belt back. Conor's goal was always to get 2 belts, the Diaz thing was a sideshow much like we used to see back in the day.

I agree there's a chance Conor won't go back to 145, but Aldo would be free to claim the real belt after that, but if Conor loses, which I think he will, he will and face Aldo.
uscbucsfan

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:

I didn't say that...I said either they would fight, which barring injury Conor will absolutely be fighting again in 6 months or Aldo would get his belt back.

I'm not sure why you think that. Dana White already insisted that Conor had to fight Aldo next after the last Diaz fight, and see how things change when it comes down to making an actual fight? Conor holds all the cards in his negotiations with the UFC and he knows it.

If Conor wants to sit on the FW belt for another year while he makes his own matchups, the UFC will back down again. They are addicted to the money he brings them.
Wesmon

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Wesmon wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

I didn't say that...I said either they would fight, which barring injury Conor will absolutely be fighting again in 6 months or Aldo would get his belt back.

I'm not sure why you think that. Dana White already insisted that Conor had to fight Aldo next after the last Diaz fight, and see how things change when it comes down to making an actual fight? Conor holds all the cards in his negotiations with the UFC and he knows it.

If Conor wants to sit on the FW belt for another year while he makes his own matchups, the UFC will back down again. They are addicted to the money he brings them.

Because it's logical and the UFC is really easy to predict, they want the most money.

Conor going for 2 belts is a good draw/promotion. If Conor loses, he will lose a lot of his hype and will need to go back to FW.

If Conor wins, he will not go back and the UFC won't abandon the FW division forever. There is a diminishing return to Conor holding 2 belts. It won't matter after he has it and they simply won't let him keep it forever.

It was really easy to predict Conor would fight Alvarez if it was going to be possible. Especially because Aldo is not a good PPV draw, but like I said...they won't just abandon the FW division forever, especially when it won't help with promotion and if Conor loses, he'll have to go back.

If Aldo stays, he'll get the belt or a fight within 6 months unless Conor is injured. I'd bet on it.
uscbucsfan

Postby Wesmon » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:04 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
Wesmon wrote:

Because it's logical and the UFC is really easy to predict, they want the most money.

Conor going for 2 belts is a good draw/promotion. If Conor loses, he will lose a lot of his hype and will need to go back to FW.

If Conor wins, he will not go back and the UFC won't abandon the FW division forever. There is a diminishing return to Conor holding 2 belts. It won't matter after he has it and they simply won't let him keep it forever.

It was really easy to predict Conor would fight Alvarez if it was going to be possible. Especially because Aldo is not a good PPV draw, but like I said...they won't just abandon the FW division forever, especially when it won't help with promotion and if Conor loses, he'll have to go back.

If Aldo stays, he'll get the belt or a fight within 6 months unless Conor is injured. I'd bet on it.

If Conor loses a close match he will stick at LW, it is obvious he doesn't want to fight at FW ever again.

Conor losing to Nate didn't hurt his popularity at all and in fact the opposite happened. I don't see how you think it would be different for this fight, against a much better opponent. If this PPV breaks records, which is likely, it only gives Conor even more bargaining power for his next UFC fight.

The UFC has to stop this nonsense at some point if they want to remain credible, but if they weren't willing to do it this time it is only going to be harder for them to turn down even more money when Conor calls his next shot.
Wesmon

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:31 am

You are overreacting BJ Penn and Fedor did this same thing in the past. Big draws will always be able to call the shots in combat sports. Mayweather ducked all of the best fighters in their prime.

Edit: You are the one who called the last fight rigged because you didn't agree with it. I guess it's just your MO.
uscbucsfan

Postby Wesmon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:49 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:You are overreacting BJ Penn and Fedor did this same thing in the past. Big draws will always be able to call the shots in combat sports. Mayweather ducked all of the best fighters in their prime.

Edit: You are the one who called the last fight rigged because you didn't agree with it. I guess it's just your MO.

I wouldn't hold up boxing as an example that the UFC should emulate. One of the great things about the UFC was that we actually got to see the best fighters matched up and not just cherry picked opponents to puff up a fighters record.
Wesmon

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:01 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:You are overreacting BJ Penn and Fedor did this same thing in the past. Big draws will always be able to call the shots in combat sports. Mayweather ducked all of the best fighters in their prime.

Your Mayweather opinion is false.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 pm

Wesmon wrote:

I wouldn't hold up boxing as an example that the UFC should emulate. One of the great things about the UFC was that we actually got to see the best fighters matched up and not just cherry picked opponents to puff up a fighters record.

That's simply not true. Brock Lesnar was completely unproven and got to skip all contenders for the belt. BJ Penn took over a year to fight freak show fights (Machida in a catch weight, went up in weight, etc.) , Fedor fought freak show fights routinely between title defenses. Rousey and GSP hand picked their fights.

All combat sports are the same. The PPV draw/money dictates the fight, not the "best fight". Big name fighters will always control combat sports, not "best fight". Which Alavarez is more interesting to most people than Conor v Aldo anyway.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:06 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Wow, that was easy. I can back my opinion up with facts, can you?

Mayweather constantly dodge fighters in that were dangerous to him either all together or waited until after they had fallen off. Delahoya, Pac, Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Martinez, and more...I've heard Mayweather apologist provide loose arguments for each of these, but looking at the whole picture tells the tale. It was smart, he made more money maintaining his record. He could have won a lot of those fights, but he is really smart in hand selecting his opponents.
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Gotta love Hendo. 47 years old, taking a final fight against the current champ, and lays an serious beating on the guy. He might have lost the decision but it was still a hell of a last ride.
terrytate

Postby Wesmon » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:59 pm

terrytate wrote:Gotta love Hendo. 47 years old, taking a final fight against the current champ, and lays an serious beating on the guy. He might have lost the decision but it was still a hell of a last ride.

I really disagree with that decision. I had Hendo taking 1,2 and 5. I can see an argument over round 2, but not round 5. And I also think there is a good argument for a 10-8 1st round for Hendo.

Regardless, Dan did the most damage by far, and that should matter much more than scoring points. That's why I so much prefer the Pride and One Championship rules for scoring fights. They rarely have gotten it wrong while we have lots of bad decisions in the UFC.

Just bugs me to see Henderson's final fight end on a decision like that.
Wesmon

Postby Pewterslimsme » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:34 pm

Rousey/Nunes at UFC 207 in Vegas 12/30
Pewterslimsme

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:58 pm

Pewterslimsme wrote:Rousey/Nunes at UFC 207 in Vegas 12/30

Not interested.
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:59 pm

Wesmon wrote:
terrytate wrote:Gotta love Hendo. 47 years old, taking a final fight against the current champ, and lays an serious beating on the guy. He might have lost the decision but it was still a hell of a last ride.

I really disagree with that decision. I had Hendo taking 1,2 and 5. I can see an argument over round 2, but not round 5. And I also think there is a good argument for a 10-8 1st round for Hendo.

Regardless, Dan did the most damage by far, and that should matter much more than scoring points. That's why I so much prefer the Pride and One Championship rules for scoring fights. They rarely have gotten it wrong while we have lots of bad decisions in the UFC.

When do the new scoring rules go into effect? They're supposed to weigh "damage" in scoring under the new rules.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:09 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Wesmon wrote:

When do the new scoring rules go into effect? They're supposed to weigh "damage" in scoring under the new rules.

Jan. 1

We'll see how that works out. I know it elaborates 10-8 rounds more, but some fighters, like Nate Diaz, show more damage than others.
uscbucsfan

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:16 pm

I think it'll be Rhonda last fight
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:19 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:I think it'll be Rhonda last fight

Same.

I predict she loses.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:59 am

Sounds like if Conor wins at UFC 205 he is taking a year off. So much for the Aldo fight.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:24 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Sounds like if Conor wins at UFC 205 he is taking a year off. So much for the Aldo fight.

If he does, he'll lose the belt. As I stated previously, if he wins...he would likely never return back to FW.
uscbucsfan

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:04 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Sounds like if Conor wins at UFC 205 he is taking a year off. So much for the Aldo fight.

If he does, he'll lose the belt. As I stated previously, if he wins...he would likely never return back to FW.

I'll bet he keeps the belt he wins. Dana will say he has earned a little time off.
PrimeMinister

Postby Wesmon » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:20 am

My favorite female fighter makes her UFC debut on Saturday. Go Alexa!

Wesmon

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:53 am

Woodley Thompson has been a great fight.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:44 am

Conor absolutely dimantled Alvarez, damn. I think everyone should have a new found respect for Nates chin, as Conors power is now legendary.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:44 pm

My cable and internet was out all weekend, I did not get to watch 205.

I wish everyone at Frontier had one neck, so I could choke all of them at the same time.
terrytate

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:27 am

UFC took the FW title from Conor. Just like I said, if he won he wasn't going back and the UFC had nothing to gain to allow him to just hold 2 forever.
uscbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports