MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
post

Re: MMA Thread

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I prefer exciting fights more than the hot names tbh, but I know I'm in the minority. I like fighters who want to stand and trade. Khabib and GSP are obviously all-timers, but they just are boring as hell to watch IMO. I'd probably try and book that matchup, and then enjoy the rest of that division which is loaded with fun fighters who want to knock heads off.

Good grappling is exciting to me. It's all part of MMA.

They are big names because they are great fighters.

Ferguson and Pettis would absolutely push the action vs Conor. Someone would either be knocked out or a doctor stoppage. Conor v. Khabib had some really good stand up, some awesome GnP, good grappling/TDD, and then a lot of laying around. It was a pretty good fight IMO, just not as good as the Pettis v. Ferguson fight or the Lewis v. Volkov fight.

Btw...Reyes absolutely KO'd OSP.

edit: Overall UFC 229 was an awesome card. Well worth $65, IMO.

I definitely recognize the talent involved and how impressive and unstoppable elite grappling is, and how it fits into MMA, I just don't find it that interesting to watch.

And I do agree it was a great card, hopefully the UFC can step up their next 2 cards as they aren't looking too hot at the moment.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8829
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby terrytate » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:53 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Good grappling is exciting to me. It's all part of MMA.

They are big names because they are great fighters.

Ferguson and Pettis would absolutely push the action vs Conor. Someone would either be knocked out or a doctor stoppage. Conor v. Khabib had some really good stand up, some awesome GnP, good grappling/TDD, and then a lot of laying around. It was a pretty good fight IMO, just not as good as the Pettis v. Ferguson fight or the Lewis v. Volkov fight.

Btw...Reyes absolutely KO'd OSP.

edit: Overall UFC 229 was an awesome card. Well worth $65, IMO.

I definitely recognize the talent involved and how impressive and unstoppable elite grappling is, and how it fits into MMA, I just don't find it that interesting to watch.

And I do agree it was a great card, hopefully the UFC can step up their next 2 cards as they aren't looking too hot at the moment.



It's not elite grappling that is boring, it's when you get a top control special like the first round of Kabob/Connor. I've seen too many fights where a wrestler gets a guy down who has good cardio and bottom defense, and it turns into a 3 or 5 round fight of one guy laying on another.

That's a big reason why I've never been a fan of Khabib. That and he gets hurt a lot and looks like a threat to tie up with belt for a long time while recovering from an injury.

As for Fergusun, he reminds me a lot of prime Nick Diaz. Endless cardio, relentless pace and no fear of being taken down because his bottom game is great.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:03 pm

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I definitely recognize the talent involved and how impressive and unstoppable elite grappling is, and how it fits into MMA, I just don't find it that interesting to watch.

And I do agree it was a great card, hopefully the UFC can step up their next 2 cards as they aren't looking too hot at the moment.



It's not elite grappling that is boring, it's when you get a top control special like the first round of Kabob/Connor. I've seen too many fights where a wrestler gets a guy down who has good cardio and bottom defense, and it turns into a 3 or 5 round fight of one guy laying on another.

That's a big reason why I've never been a fan of Khabib. That and he gets hurt a lot and looks like a threat to tie up with belt for a long time while recovering from an injury.

As for Fergusun, he reminds me a lot of prime Nick Diaz. Endless cardio, relentless pace and no fear of being taken down because his bottom game is great.

Ya I like Ferguson as a fighter too. I’d even say he’s more impressive an athlete than either Diaz brother (who are both rather average athletes) and has more power, but his striking isn’t quite as technically excellent.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 8829
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 1006 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:09 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:I don't think Conor/Nate 3 is a big draw. I certainly wouldn't watch it again. I would absolutely watch Khabib, Ferguson, Pettis, or GSP v Conor.

I prefer exciting fights more than the hot names tbh, but I know I'm in the minority. I like fighters who want to stand and trade. Khabib and GSP are obviously all-timers, but they just are boring as hell to watch IMO. I'd probably try and book that matchup, and then enjoy the rest of that division which is loaded with fun fighters who want to knock heads off.


I love exciting fights just like you. I happen to see Khabib’s wrestling style as exciting while you clearly do not. Conor v Khabib was as an amazing fight as Conor v Nate 1 in my opinion. I was not as interested in Conor v Nate 2 simply because the blueprint to beat Nate is so damn easy that as long as you’re disciplined you have a clear path to victory. I’d rather see Conor v Khabib or Ferguson. Conor showed the ability to adjust and execute a different gameplan when he fought Diaz the 2nd time. I would like to see his new gameplan vs Khabib.

I know some fans like yourself only want to see striking wars, but I really enjoy MMA. I love watching a great striker deal with a great grappler. Depending on the levels of skill and disciplines that story can go either way.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:14 pm

terrytate wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I definitely recognize the talent involved and how impressive and unstoppable elite grappling is, and how it fits into MMA, I just don't find it that interesting to watch.

And I do agree it was a great card, hopefully the UFC can step up their next 2 cards as they aren't looking too hot at the moment.



It's not elite grappling that is boring, it's when you get a top control special like the first round of Kabob/Connor. I've seen too many fights where a wrestler gets a guy down who has good cardio and bottom defense, and it turns into a 3 or 5 round fight of one guy laying on another.

That's a big reason why I've never been a fan of Khabib. That and he gets hurt a lot and looks like a threat to tie up with belt for a long time while recovering from an injury.

As for Fergusun, he reminds me a lot of prime Nick Diaz. Endless cardio, relentless pace and no fear of being taken down because his bottom game is great.


I doubt you have watched much Khabib. If so you’d know he doesn’t lay n pray. He disables his opponent the ground & pounds until they break. Watch Khabib vs Michael Johnson or Barbosa and tell me that’s just laying on a guy. To be fair I generally don’t like the old school wrestlers, including GSP, because of the lack of action. Wrestlers like Khabib and Cormier are a pleasure to watch. Both put constant pressure on the opponent, but in entirely different ways. Both also have enough power to be respected on the feet. I will watch either of them fight any day.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby terrytate » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
terrytate wrote:

It's not elite grappling that is boring, it's when you get a top control special like the first round of Kabob/Connor. I've seen too many fights where a wrestler gets a guy down who has good cardio and bottom defense, and it turns into a 3 or 5 round fight of one guy laying on another.

That's a big reason why I've never been a fan of Khabib. That and he gets hurt a lot and looks like a threat to tie up with belt for a long time while recovering from an injury.

As for Fergusun, he reminds me a lot of prime Nick Diaz. Endless cardio, relentless pace and no fear of being taken down because his bottom game is great.


I doubt you have watched much Khabib. If so you’d know he doesn’t lay n pray. He disables his opponent the ground & pounds until they break. Watch Khabib vs Michael Johnson or Barbosa and tell me that’s just laying on a guy. To be fair I generally don’t like the old school wrestlers, including GSP, because of the lack of action. Wrestlers like Khabib and Cormier are a pleasure to watch. Both put constant pressure on the opponent, but in entirely different ways. Both also have enough power to be respected on the feet. I will watch either of them fight any day.



You're right, I haven't. Near every PPV I would have seen him in, he pulled out of with injury. I think the two I saw were the Tibau and maybe the RDA fights. I remember he couldn't get Tibau down and it was a three round wall and stall flail fest.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am

terrytate wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
I doubt you have watched much Khabib. If so you’d know he doesn’t lay n pray. He disables his opponent the ground & pounds until they break. Watch Khabib vs Michael Johnson or Barbosa and tell me that’s just laying on a guy. To be fair I generally don’t like the old school wrestlers, including GSP, because of the lack of action. Wrestlers like Khabib and Cormier are a pleasure to watch. Both put constant pressure on the opponent, but in entirely different ways. Both also have enough power to be respected on the feet. I will watch either of them fight any day.



You're right, I haven't. Near every PPV I would have seen him in, he pulled out of with injury. I think the two I saw were the Tibau and maybe the RDA fights. I remember he couldn't get Tibau down and it was a three round wall and stall flail fest.


Check out the two fights I mentioned. Both are on YouTube. I’d love to hear your thoughts on those performances.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Fedor wrecked Sonnen.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 am

Sonnen has made a successful career getting wrecked by legends.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:33 pm

That was a shitty fight. Lewis has 0 technique. All he ever had was a punchers chance. He barely trained for the fight. Just shows how weak the heavyweight division is right now.
Image
User avatar
uscbucsfan
 
Posts: 5432
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:21 pm
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:36 am

uscbucsfan wrote:That was a shitty fight. Lewis has 0 technique. All he ever had was a punchers chance. He barely trained for the fight. Just shows how weak the heavyweight division is right now.


That was the easiest fight I’ve seen Cormier take in years. Absolutely easy work.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Re: MMA Thread

Postby PrimeMinister » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Watching the TUF prelims. It’s good to see new heavyweights. Maurice Green has a bright future if he gets with the right camp.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 9017
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 244 times

Previous

post

Return to Other Sports

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: real bucs fan and 10 guests