MMA Thread

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: MMA Thread

Postby terrytate » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:33 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The UFC needs that trilogy fight between Conor and Nate now more than ever.

I don't think this is what it needs at all. I don't think that would be a must buy for MMA fans and casuals will watch who ever Conor fights next regardless in aftermath of this match. Make it someone more exciting.

Conor vs. GSP or even Khabib would be bigger/better.

I initially said Woodley, but Woodley is wildly unpopular and can be terribly boring to watch.

Nate Diaz/Conor was big because of Conor. We've seen it twice, I don't see the allure.

That's part of the problem. They've been relying on oddball superfights to sell PPV's instead of making good matches and letting the best man win. That's how they developed all of those stars in the first place. Now guys are getting shots based on their ability to talk ****.
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:35 pm

I guess we're gonna agree to disagree about Spider Silva. I would only say that in his prime, Spider was the bad-est man on the planet (and I'm including Feodor). Don't let the Old Man Spider fool you. He was devastating. On the mat...and standing up. Ask Dan Henderson.

UFC thrives on personalities. There are none currently, outside of McG and Diaz. Actual talent doesn't matter nearly as much. And UFC is currently lacking the personailities to make old timers (like me) to pay attention.

And boxing is just as bad...although the Cannelo/GGG fight is must watch tv. For sure.
Alpha

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:13 pm

terrytate wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
I don't think this is what it needs at all. I don't think that would be a must buy for MMA fans and casuals will watch who ever Conor fights next regardless in aftermath of this match. Make it someone more exciting.

Conor vs. GSP or even Khabib would be bigger/better.

I initially said Woodley, but Woodley is wildly unpopular and can be terribly boring to watch.

Nate Diaz/Conor was big because of Conor. We've seen it twice, I don't see the allure.

That's part of the problem. They've been relying on oddball superfights to sell PPV's instead of making good matches and letting the best man win. That's how they developed all of those stars in the first place. Now guys are getting shots based on their ability to talk ****.

Agreed, but they did it to boost their popularity and it potentially killed the sport. I wouldn't watch McGregor Diaz 3, would you?
uscbucsfan

Postby terrytate » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 am

Alpha wrote:I guess we're gonna agree to disagree about Spider Silva. I would only say that in his prime, Spider was the bad-est man on the planet (and I'm including Feodor). Don't let the Old Man Spider fool you. He was devastating. On the mat...and standing up. Ask Dan Henderson.

UFC thrives on personalities. There are none currently, outside of McG and Diaz. Actual talent doesn't matter nearly as much. And UFC is currently lacking the personailities to make old timers (like me) to pay attention.

And boxing is just as bad...although the Cannelo/GGG fight is must watch tv. For sure.

I agree with the sentiment that Silva might have been the pound for pound best of all time. The thing is, size does matter. I think even Prime Silva would have lost to DC and he certainly would have lost to Bones. It's the same reason why Bones would get wrecked by a top HW.

And no I wouldn't buy McG vs Diaz 3, but I'd watch it :D
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 am

terrytate wrote:
Alpha wrote:I guess we're gonna agree to disagree about Spider Silva. I would only say that in his prime, Spider was the bad-est man on the planet (and I'm including Feodor). Don't let the Old Man Spider fool you. He was devastating. On the mat...and standing up. Ask Dan Henderson.

I agree with the sentiment that Silva might have been the pound for pound best of all time. The thing is, size does matter. I think even Prime Silva would have lost to DC and he certainly would have lost to Bones. It's the same reason why Bones would get wrecked by a top HW.

And no I wouldn't buy McG vs Diaz 3, but I'd watch it :D

Size ABSOLUTELY matters. A good BIG guy will beat a good LITTLE guy every time.

That said...Bones and Silva are roughly, the same size (walking around). And even then, Spider is smaller. Spider and Cormier are NOT close to the same size.

That said...who has the most TITLE defenses and TITLE wins in UFC history?

Because he was THAT good.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:48 am

And when Cormier drops down to middleweight, let me know.

Spider DID go to LHW...and won. Against legit LHW.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:50 am

terrytate wrote:

I agree with the sentiment that Silva might have been the pound for pound best of all time.

Might?

Just stop with the non-sense.

He was.
Alpha

Postby terrytate » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:27 am

Alpha wrote:
terrytate wrote:
I agree with the sentiment that Silva might have been the pound for pound best of all time.

Might?

He was.

Did you quote my post twice? lol.

And no, there was this guy named Fedor. You might have heard of him. Silva had matrix level standup. Fedor, in his prime,had everything. He outstruck K1 champs and subbed ADCC champs. He outgrappled Olympic wrestlers and survived shots that would have KO'd a water buffalo.
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm

terrytate wrote:
Alpha wrote:
Might?

He was.

And no, there was this guy named Fedor. You might have heard of him. Silva had matrix level standup. Fedor, in his prime,had everything. He outstruck K1 champs and subbed ADCC champs. He outgrappled Olympic wrestlers and survived shots that would have KO'd a water buffalo.

I'm not even sure what the argument is...because we both seem to agree.

Size matters.
Silva was the best POUND FOR POUND fighter.
He would've been beaten by a world-class, bigger guy. Emelienko was a HW...and a world-class HW. He usually fought around 230-240 or so. So yeah...a really good big guy STILL beats a really good little guy (we both agree).

It's just a damn shame, Emelienko never fought in the UFC during his prime.
Alpha

Postby terrytate » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Alpha wrote:
terrytate wrote:

Size matters.
He would've been beaten by a world-class, bigger guy. Emelienko was a HW...and a world-class HW. He usually fought around 230-240 or so. So yeah...a really good big guy STILL beats a really good little guy (we both agree).

We almost agree. I favor Fedor for best P4P. Spider was elite in one area. Fedor was elite at everything.

As to the UFC, when Fedor was at his best the UFC HW division was pretty much a joke. He beat 5 former UFC HW champs overall.

Back to the UFC though, something I've said many times is that if Frank Mir never had his accident he goes down as the UFC HW GOAT. He won the title in 04 and I don't think anyone would have beat him until Brock, Carwin and Cain showed up in roughly 09. That guy lost so much physical ability in that wreck.
terrytate

Postby Alpha » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:26 pm

terrytate wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Size matters.

We almost agree. I favor Fedor for best P4P. Spider was elite in one area. Fedor was elite at everything.

As to the UFC, when Fedor was at his best the UFC HW division was pretty much a joke. He beat 5 former UFC HW champs overall.

Back to the UFC though, something I've said many times is that if Frank Mir never had his accident he goes down as the UFC HW GOAT. He won the title in 04 and I don't think anyone would have beat him until Brock, Carwin and Cain showed up in roughly 09. That guy lost so much physical ability in that wreck.

I can see how you would make the case for Feodore...however the inverse is equally true:

During Emelienko's (and Silva's) prime...the UFC had a FAR better Middleweight division. And that isn't even disputable. His win against Dan Henderson is one of the all-timers.

I don't know enough about Mir (Pre-Injury) as I only saw him fight afterwards.

Nobody is going to argue that Emelienko isn't one of the 2 best PfP fighters ever. The problem is that Silva is the other.
Alpha

Postby terrytate » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 am

Alpha wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I can see how you would make the case for Feodore...however the inverse is equally true:

During Emelienko's (and Silva's) prime...the UFC had a FAR better Middleweight division. And that isn't even disputable. His win against Dan Henderson is one of the all-timers.

I don't know enough about Mir (Pre-Injury) as I only saw him fight afterwards.

Nobody is going to argue that Emelienko isn't one of the 2 best PfP fighters ever. The problem is that Silva is the other.

The UFC MW division wasn't really any strong than the old Pride HW division. Both guy have some great wins and a number of cans. For every Zulu and Nagata there is a Cote and Lutter on Andy's record.

As to Mir, he used to move a lot better before the wreck. That bike wreck really fucked him up. He broke his femur in two places and tore every ligament in his knee, in addition to other less severe injuries. That leg is now measurable shorter than it was and it took him nearly 4 years to recover fight close to what he did.
terrytate

Postby tampabay4eva » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:19 pm

So does Bisping knock him out or does GSP dry hump him into submission?
tampabay4eva

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:32 pm

Dry hump FTW. Not looking forward to this one tbh.

Fight of the night will be Cody vs TJ.
PrimeMinister

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:15 am

Just watched the GSP fight.

It was ****ing strange watching him come out as a middleweight. He looked pudgy. He reminded me of me.

I'm a small guy. 5' 7. Walk around at 165. When I was playing, I went up to 210. I looked like GSP tonight. Big...but too fat. He needs to stay at welterweight. He looked chubby. Not fit. That fight would've gone to Bisping if not for a lucky left hook. GSP was gassed. The fight to then was even...trending towards Bisping as it went along. GSP caught him and won.

On the one hand, it was impressive that GSP could come back...at a higher weight...and make it a fight. I'm still shocked he won. He's clearly not a middleweight. This isn't Anderson Silva. Silva walked around as a light heavyweight...and fought as a welterweight. That's why he looked so good as a light heavyweight...that was his natural weight.

On the other...this isn't the GSP that we've seen over the years. He was too muscular and fat. Jesus...it was so weird to see him look like an Ooompaloompa.

Retire George...or go back to WW.

I do admire the fact that he took the time to go up a weight, naturally. He CLEARLY took the time to "weight-up" the right way...and not do it too quickly.
Alpha

Postby StillCSG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:45 am

Matt Brown just tried to murder Diego Sanchez with that elbow....holy ****
StillCSG

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:54 am

StillCSG wrote:Matt Brown just tried to murder Diego Sanchez with that elbow....holy ****

Are they in Bellator now or UFC?
Alpha

Postby StillCSG » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:15 am

Alpha wrote:
StillCSG wrote:Matt Brown just tried to murder Diego Sanchez with that elbow....holy ****

UFC
StillCSG

Postby terrytate » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:11 pm

StillCSG wrote:
Alpha wrote:

UFC

That was Matt Browns retirement fight too, but it looked like he was trying to retire Sanchez.
terrytate

Previous

Return to Other Sports