**Official Soccer Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 pm

On phone so it won’t embed ... but I listen to this song every big game to get fired up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Db53Q_PGGA4
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:12 pm

Fun first half to watch. Both teams missed a couple good chances. Good soccer
Zarniwoop

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:51 pm

Mexico dominating the second half. Looked like Steffen let that ball go thinking it was over the bar.
Ken Carson

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Well...ugggh

2nd half stunk. We couldn’t make any damn adjustments

Overall, good, not great, tournament. Some positives to be taken moving ahead
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Still not enough to beat Mexico...

Hope I’m wrong

Mmk
Phantom Phenom

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:21 am

I stole this from reddit:

How CONCACAF ref's eyes work

Seriously, how was that not a red?
The Outsider

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:44 am

The official was very bad. That and the atomic knee drop that Altidore took right before that should have been carded.

That said, I’d we finished our chances, we win.
Ken Carson

Postby The Outsider » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:52 am

Ken Carson wrote:That said, I’d we finished our chances, we win.

I understand that, but horse **** officiating should always be called out. It can literally win or lose games for teams.

But seriously we need better options up top than Altidore and Zardes.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:04 am

The Outsider wrote:I stole this from reddit:

How CONCACAF ref's eyes work

Seriously, how was that not a red?

It should have been straight red
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Changes to CONCACAF World Cup qualifying

I absolutely hate it .... far too much power given to FIFA rankings and almost impossible for a lower ranked team to qualify

The United States and Mexico are almost certain to go straight to the six-team Hexagonal round of qualifying for Qatar 2022, with CONCACAF announcing new rules for the next World Cup.

The top six-ranked teams in the FIFA rankings after the June 2020 international window will automatically be included in the home-and-away Hexagonal. The top three will qualify for Qatar 2022.

Gold Cup winner Mexico is currently a long way ahead of those outside the top six, meaning it's virtually inconceivable that El Tri won't be in the Hex, while the United States and Costa Rica are both comfortably positioned.

Jamaica, Honduras and El Salvador currently make up the top six, while Panama, Canada, Curacao, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti are all pushing forward.

The teams that aren't in the Hexagonal will be involved in a separate tournament involving the teams ranked between seventh and 35th. Those 29 teams will be drawn into eight groups, with the winners of those groups advancing to a knockout phase. The country that wins the knockout phase will play against the fourth-placed finisher in the Hexagonal in October 2021 for a spot in the FIFA intercontinental playoff.
Zarniwoop

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 pm

FIFA is probably the second most corrupt group in the world. Congress better watch their backs.
Rocker

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 am

Barca paid 120 million euros for Griezmann...so each of the last three years they have bought someone for 100M+
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:56 am

This is going to get interesting

U.S. Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro contended Monday that analysis of federation finances showed that it paid members of the women's national team millions of dollars more than members of the men's national team over a period of nearly a decade.

Responding publicly for the first time to weeks of public and even congressional criticism since the U.S. won the Women's World Cup while national team players are in the midst of suing the federation for gender discrimination, Cordeiro sent an open letter to federation members that included the results of what he termed extensive analysis of 10 years of financial data.

Among the conclusions, which U.S. Soccer said were verified by an independent accounting firm, are that women's players were paid $34.1 million by the federation from 2010 to 2018 in salaries and bonuses (2018 is the most recent fiscal year for which information was available). That also includes the National Women's Soccer League salaries paid by U.S. Soccer for national team-contracted players. Members of the men's national team were paid $26.4 million by the federation over the same period, the analysis concluded.

"Just as our WNT players have shared their perspective, I strongly believe that you -- as U.S. Soccer members, stakeholders, sponsors and partners -- deserve to hear ours," Cordeiro wrote Monday. "Now that the Women's World Cup is behind us, a common understanding of key facts will also help advance our shared work to grow women's soccer in America as well as the larger national discussion about equality."

The men's and women's teams operate with separate collective bargaining agreements and with separate pay structures.

Cordeiro's letter stipulated that the totals do not include money received by U.S. Soccer from FIFA for World Cup bonuses. With that money included, federation analysis said that the men earned $41 million for the same nine-year period, compared to $39.7 million for the women.

U.S. Soccer contends that it should not be held responsible for the inequity in FIFA prize money, with the winner of the men's tournament in Russia last year receiving more ($38 million) than the total prize pool for the 24 teams in the recently concluded women's tournament. Cordeiro said he continues to push FIFA president Gianni Infantino and the sport's global governing body to increase prize compensation for the signature event in the women's game.
Zarniwoop

Postby sanka » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:36 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Barca paid 120 million euros for Griezmann...so each of the last three years they have bought someone for 100M+

Yet, only one trophy to show for it last season.
Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it. -Malcolm X
sanka

Postby sanka » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:36 pm

U.S Soccer star Christian Pullisic scores his first two goals for Chelsea...good news for months to come.
Nobody can give you freedom. Nobody can give you equality or justice or anything. If you're a man, you take it. -Malcolm X
sanka

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:13 am

Wayne Rooney has agreed a deal to leave Major League Soccer side D.C. United and take up a role as a player-coach at English second-tier club Derby County in January.

The former Manchester United forward moved to MLS from Everton in June 2018 and has scored 25 goals in 45 appearances.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:31 pm

it's going to be a longer season this year for United then the last couple

the top 2 forwards going into this year -- Rashford and 17 year old Greenwood with Martial, Lingard and Sanchez on the wings.

They might be lucky to score 50 goals this year. At least the defense should improve a bit. But I'm guessing 6th or 7th right now.
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:32 pm

Yeah, Arsenal had that big **** transfer window. Pepe, Ceballos, Saliba (next season), Tierney, Luiz. Only lost Koscielny (Captain but older, injured and on the decline), Iwobi (good forward but we have a ton of those), and some younger guys like Bielik. Signed Lacazette and Aubameyang to new contracts. The team is way better than it was this time last year.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am

The Outsider wrote:Yeah, Arsenal had that big **** transfer window. Pepe, Ceballos, Saliba (next season), Tierney, Luiz. Only lost Koscielny (Captain but older, injured and on the decline), Iwobi (good forward but we have a ton of those), and some younger guys like Bielik. Signed Lacazette and Aubameyang to new contracts. The team is way better than it was this time last year.

yep, they did good.

i'm thinking

1 City
2 Liverpool
3 Tottenham
4 Arsenal

next tier, but significantly down (not in order) - united, chelsea, everton
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:36 pm

LFC murder Norwich but lose Allison. That's just a bad way to start
Swashy

Postby The Outsider » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:51 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
The Outsider wrote:Yeah, Arsenal had that big **** transfer window. Pepe, Ceballos, Saliba (next season), Tierney, Luiz. Only lost Koscielny (Captain but older, injured and on the decline), Iwobi (good forward but we have a ton of those), and some younger guys like Bielik. Signed Lacazette and Aubameyang to new contracts. The team is way better than it was this time last year.

yep, they did good.

i'm thinking

1 City
2 Liverpool
3 Tottenham
4 Arsenal

next tier, but significantly down (not in order) - united, chelsea, everton

I more or less agree. I think we could easily swap spots with Tottenham, but City and Liverpool should definitely be top 2. I'm hoping it's the other way around though.
The Outsider

Postby acmillis » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:16 am

Random thing I noticed in EPL and MLS... what is with all these shirt goal kicks?!?!
acmillis

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:35 am

well i expect that will be United's best result all year....it's only downhill from here....
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 am

Looks like St Louis is definitely going to be the 28th team in MLS.

It’s going to be interesting to see how we are going to structure such a large league. We are definitely more following the US model of big leagues (NFL, MLB, etc) then we are the world model of a smaller league for soccer.
Zarniwoop

Postby Snake » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:44 am

How do stateside folks decide which leagues and teams to follow in Europe?

Hard for it to be organic when you don’t have cable over here. And I can’t support MLS as a matter of principle
Snake

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:45 am

I lived in Manchester for a few years about 2 miles from Old Trafford, and went to five or six games there...that’s why I “like” them best and why I watch the Premier League most,

Outside of them I don’t have favorite teams in Europe. I like to keep up with what Americans are doing on Euro teams though
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:00 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Looks like St Louis is definitely going to be the 28th team in MLS.

It’s going to be interesting to see how we are going to structure such a large league. We are definitely more following the US model of big leagues (NFL, MLB, etc) then we are the world model of a smaller league for soccer.

Lol MLS just needs to make a #fucktherowdies campaign
Swashy

Postby Snake » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:10 am

Zarniwoop wrote:I lived in Manchester for a few years about 2 miles from Old Trafford, and went to five or six games there...that’s why I “like” them best and why I watch the Premier League most,

Outside of them I don’t have favorite teams in Europe. I like to keep up with what Americans are doing on Euro teams though

That’s really cool. Too bad they’re owned by the Glazers now.
Snake

Postby Swashy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am

Snake wrote:How do stateside folks decide which leagues and teams to follow in Europe?

Hard for it to be organic when you don’t have cable over here. And I can’t support MLS as a matter of principle

It was the Raheem Morris era. The Bucs absolutely sucked ass, had no direction, had no clue, fans left the stadium in drives. I hated the Glazer bros because I knew what they were. So meanwhile we've got this sorry team on a shoestring budget but Manchester freaking United gets the John Hammond "Spare no expense" treatment as the greatest sports team on earth. Made me hate their guts. Always liked soccer but didn't have a team. So I did a little research and it turns out Liverpool is unequivocally their greatest rival and I was determined to spite the Glazers as much as I could. So who do you think I followed? But I didn't even need to hate the Glazers anymore. Once I saw Liverpool and followed them it just happened organically for me.

But these days United fans are just as sick of the Glazers as I am as their bumbling is now staining the pride of arguably England's greatest team. I've eased up on my United hate but still love Liverpool
Swashy

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:50 am

Snake wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:I lived in Manchester for a few years about 2 miles from Old Trafford, and went to five or six games there...that’s why I “like” them best and why I watch the Premier League most,

That’s really cool. Too bad they’re owned by the Glazers now.

It is, when the other big teams don't care about making profit and running it as a 'business', the teams that do, are incredibly disadvantaged.
Zarniwoop

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports