***OFFICIAL NBA 2018-2019 SEASON THREAD***

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL NBA 2018-2019 SEASON THREAD***

Postby acmillis » Sat May 11, 2019 6:15 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Durant is out game 6.

I pointed this out in the regular season, but they are 29-4 without Durant and average more points per game, more assists, and are statistically better defensively. When Durant is playing, but Curry is out they aren't nearly as good. I think because they play more Warrior ball instead of ISO, but we'll see if that still holds up.

The 29-4 is over the last 3 seasons. What we're looking at now is Curry, Thompson, Draymond, Iguodala, and a bunch of guys they've tried not to play this series. They've been shallow all season, now they've lost Cousins and Durant. Even if Looney makes a big impact, like he did in Game 5, they'll need someone like Livingston, McKinnie, or Jerebko to step up. The Warriors have scored 24 more points over the entire series, and Durant was averaging 36 ppg. That's a pretty big chunk of scoring that they're going to need to find.

That's all good for the Rockets. The bad is that we had found a lineup to match up with the Durant Warriors. I feel like everything was "set" and we just had to see it play out. Now, the deck is kind of reshuffled and the strategy for these games will be different, but there's no time to adjust for the Rockets. I thought they were on their way to winning Game 5 before Durant went out, but the injury seemed to change that. But playing without Durant for 1 quarter and an entire game are two different things.

This is it for Houston. They had their shot last year and Paul got injured. The basketball gods seem to have evened things up. If they can't win this, I don't know that they'll have a better shot over the next few years. Plus, Durant may come back next round or for the Finals. It's on the Rockets to end the Warriors run.

My Harden hate aside, I actually disagree with you. When the band breaks up in GSW (which I think they have to after this season), I think HOU will have a legit chance the next 2 years to make a deep run.

Harden hate mode: ACTIVATED!!!

The guy cannot carry a team. I'll again say he is a rich mans' Melo.
He's been "the guy" in Houston 7 seasons and they've ended as follows:
L in first round (4-2)
L in first round (4-2)
L in conf finals (4-1)
L in first round (4-1)
L in second round (4-2)
L in conf finals (4-3)
L in second round (4-2)

0 finals appearances, one conf finals app., took a series to game 7 one time. in his 4-10 season in the league, he averages 29 ppg, shoots 44.3% from the field, and averages 4.4 turnovers/game.

In Melo's 4-10 seasons in the league:

L in first round (4-1)
L in the first round (4-0)
L in conf finals (4-2)
L in first round (4-2)
L in first round (4-0) traded to NYK mid-season
L in the first round (4-1)
L in the second round (4-2)

O finals appearances, one conf. finals app., no game 7s. In seasons 4-10 in the league Melo averged 26.1 ppg, shoots 45.8% from the field and averages 2.9 turnovers/game.

Both players are great scorers, ball hogging, shot clock draining dudes who play no defense at all.

Harden doubles' Melo's assists, Melo turns it over a lot less than Harden and both dudes can't get their team up the hill, much less to the peak.

Unless he goes somewhere else or gets another all-nba dude to join his squad, he will never win a ring.

Harden hate mode: DEACTIVATED!!!
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Sat May 11, 2019 8:09 am

All of that aside. CP3 played well in the final game, but for the most part looked put of place in this series. He's much better when he can be a ball dominant pick and roll 1, but can't do that with Harden.

I think adding a PG who can catch and shoot as well as be a true point would improve the Rockets. CP3 gets a lot of cred on name recognition, but he's absolutely lost a step and I see him too many open looks. They can improve that position.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Sat May 11, 2019 1:37 pm

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:
The 29-4 is over the last 3 seasons. What we're looking at now is Curry, Thompson, Draymond, Iguodala, and a bunch of guys they've tried not to play this series. They've been shallow all season, now they've lost Cousins and Durant. Even if Looney makes a big impact, like he did in Game 5, they'll need someone like Livingston, McKinnie, or Jerebko to step up. The Warriors have scored 24 more points over the entire series, and Durant was averaging 36 ppg. That's a pretty big chunk of scoring that they're going to need to find.

That's all good for the Rockets. The bad is that we had found a lineup to match up with the Durant Warriors. I feel like everything was "set" and we just had to see it play out. Now, the deck is kind of reshuffled and the strategy for these games will be different, but there's no time to adjust for the Rockets. I thought they were on their way to winning Game 5 before Durant went out, but the injury seemed to change that. But playing without Durant for 1 quarter and an entire game are two different things.

This is it for Houston. They had their shot last year and Paul got injured. The basketball gods seem to have evened things up. If they can't win this, I don't know that they'll have a better shot over the next few years. Plus, Durant may come back next round or for the Finals. It's on the Rockets to end the Warriors run.

My Harden hate aside, I actually disagree with you. When the band breaks up in GSW (which I think they have to after this season), I think HOU will have a legit chance the next 2 years to make a deep run.

Harden hate mode: ACTIVATED!!!

The guy cannot carry a team. I'll again say he is a rich mans' Melo.
He's been "the guy" in Houston 7 seasons and they've ended as follows:
L in first round (4-2)
L in first round (4-2)
L in conf finals (4-1)
L in first round (4-1)
L in second round (4-2)
L in conf finals (4-3)
L in second round (4-2)

0 finals appearances, one conf finals app., took a series to game 7 one time. in his 4-10 season in the league, he averages 29 ppg, shoots 44.3% from the field, and averages 4.4 turnovers/game.

In Melo's 4-10 seasons in the league:

L in first round (4-1)
L in the first round (4-0)
L in conf finals (4-2)
L in first round (4-2)
L in first round (4-0) traded to NYK mid-season
L in the first round (4-1)
L in the second round (4-2)

O finals appearances, one conf. finals app., no game 7s. In seasons 4-10 in the league Melo averged 26.1 ppg, shoots 45.8% from the field and averages 2.9 turnovers/game.

Both players are great scorers, ball hogging, shot clock draining dudes who play no defense at all.

Harden doubles' Melo's assists, Melo turns it over a lot less than Harden and both dudes can't get their team up the hill, much less to the peak.

Unless he goes somewhere else or gets another all-nba dude to join his squad, he will never win a ring.

Harden hate mode: DEACTIVATED!!!

I haven't seen anyone else make this comparison and I think it's pretty lazy. Both are great scorers and that's about it. On mobile, so idk exactly but I think Harden has even topped Melo's career highs in scoring at least twice. Harden is also a much better facilitator and gets teammates involved, hence the 2x assists. Harden has 1 MVP and 3 runner ups, I think Melo has maybe 1 runner up.

Melo did most of his damage in the much weaker Eastern Conference. Harden has been eliminated by the most stacked team in NBA history 4x times out of the past 5 years. If the Warriors didn't exist, I think Harden would have at least one title by now, likely last season.

That said, I hate to admit it but idk if we'll ever get past the Warriors unless they completely break up. Their shooting is just too much and even if Harden goes off, they've been able to mostly shut down Paul and Capela. Not only are they extremely talented but they match up really well with us.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 pm

I don't see how it is a lazy comparison when I'm calling Harden a rich mans' Melo. They both score and cannot get it done in the playoffs. They are the Phillip Rivers of basketball.

Could the win a championship? Sure, but they'd need massive amounts of help to get there.
acmillis

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat May 11, 2019 5:54 pm

This Warriors team as constructed is unbeatable. That’s just a fact and it makes basketball boring. At least when the Heat has their Big 3 we had the Spurs at the same time. We need one more GREAT team.
PrimeMinister

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat May 11, 2019 10:54 pm

Go Bucks!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Swashy » Sun May 12, 2019 8:40 am

Harden is basically turning into this generation's Patrick Ewing
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun May 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Portland vs Golden State

Gonna be good game
Phantom Phenom

Postby sanka » Sun May 12, 2019 8:46 pm

What a shot from Kawhi Leonard to win the game! It reminded of the Vince Carter miss for the Raptors vs the Sixers during the 2001 Playoffs to send the Raptors to the ECF to meet the Bucks. Poetic Justice.
The French Revolution taught us the right of man.
sanka

Postby real bucs fan » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Raps baby
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Mon May 13, 2019 7:49 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:Portland vs Golden State

Gonna be good game

I don't really think so. I expect Golden State to close it out in 4-5, even without Durant. The one team remaining that could give the Warriors real trouble is Milwaukee.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 am

Deuce wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Portland vs Golden State

Gonna be good game

I don't really think so. I expect Golden State to close it out in 4-5, even without Durant. The one team remaining that could give the Warriors real trouble is Milwaukee.

Agree with everything said here. The toughest test for GSW (other than HOU) would be the Bucks, and even then, GSW will be prohibitive favorites.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 am

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Agree with everything said here. The toughest test for GSW (other than HOU) would be the Bucks, and even then, GSW will be prohibitive favorites.

I really wish Durant wouldn't have gotten injured and we could have taken them to 7. If we didn't win, at least they'd be tired and beat up. Durant was playing like 43-50 minutes during those games.
Deuce

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon May 13, 2019 9:02 am

Michigan's Beilein to coach Cavaliers
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 5:28 am

They were talking about this on the radio this morning, but it's odd that Durant is considered by many to be the best player in the NBA and the Warriors play better overall, offense and defense, without him.

I understand it, he's a ball stopping player, but found it interesting.

I enjoy watching the GSW more without Durant, but I also love.to watch him play. Regardless, I'm cheering for the Trailblazers, but I think the Nuggets would have been a more difficult matchup.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 am

uscbucsfan wrote:They were talking about this on the radio this morning, but it's odd that Durant is considered by many to be the best player in the NBA and the Warriors play better overall, offense and defense, without him.

I enjoy watching the GSW more without Durant, but I also love.to watch him play. Regardless, I'm cheering for the Trailblazers, but I think the Nuggets would have been a more difficult matchup.

Remember, the Warriors weren't built around Durant. He was just like a cherry on top. I don't know that anyone ever considered if he was a fit or not, because why would you? He's the best player.

As it turns out, he's not really a fit for their system. He kind of exists outside of it, even though he's wearing the same jersey. Although, I'm dubious as to how far this Warriors team would go without him. I know they won 5 quarters against Houston, but I don't think they have the depth to keep it up. Would Iguodala keep up that 3 point shooting? I think I heard he hit 48% or something. Would Looney really continue to be a factor?

I think the NBA would be a better place if Durant goes to somewhere like the Knicks, gets another star, and we have another super team.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 am

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:They were talking about this on the radio this morning, but it's odd that Durant is considered by many to be the best player in the NBA and the Warriors play better overall, offense and defense, without him.

Remember, the Warriors weren't built around Durant. He was just like a cherry on top. I don't know that anyone ever considered if he was a fit or not, because why would you? He's the best player.

As it turns out, he's not really a fit for their system. He kind of exists outside of it, even though he's wearing the same jersey. Although, I'm dubious as to how far this Warriors team would go without him. I know they won 5 quarters against Houston, but I don't think they have the depth to keep it up. Would Iguodala keep up that 3 point shooting? I think I heard he hit 48% or something. Would Looney really continue to be a factor?

I think the NBA would be a better place if Durant goes to somewhere like the Knicks, gets another star, and we have another super team.

The Warriors would likely add more depth with that salary they pay Durant and could be better off.

I agree with him going to the Knicks with Kyrie. I want more competition.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Deuce wrote:

The Warriors would likely add more depth with that salary they pay Durant and could be better off.

I'm not sure if you mean for this year's playoffs or for the future.

If you meant the future, I'm not sure that's true. They are way over the cap right now and need a new deal for Klay after this year and a new deal for Draymond after next. Livingston really seems to have declined. Iggy is getting pretty long in the tooth. Whether Durant leaves or not, the team as a whole will be worse next year. I'm not sure any minimum free agents would be able to fix that.

EDIT: Just googled it and it looks like they'd be able to keep the core together for one more year. 2019-2020 should be the last year of the dynasty.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:The Warriors would likely add more depth with that salary they pay Durant and could be better off.

If you meant the future, I'm not sure that's true. They are way over the cap right now and need a new deal for Klay after this year and a new deal for Draymond after next. Livingston really seems to have declined. Iggy is getting pretty long in the tooth. Whether Durant leaves or not, the team as a whole will be worse next year. I'm not sure any minimum free agents would be able to fix that.

EDIT: Just googled it and it looks like they'd be able to keep the core together for one more year. 2019-2020 should be the last year of the dynasty.

I don't see enough value out of Draymond to give him a rich deal. Some team will be dumb enough to pay him $25M/year but it shouldn't be GSW.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 pm

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I don't see enough value out of Draymond to give him a rich deal. Some team will be dumb enough to pay him $25M/year but it shouldn't be GSW.

I could get on board with that. But I also think Curry and Thompson's games overlap more than either of them do with Draymond. But let's say Durant leaves. Draymond gets a max offer elsewhere in 2021. Now you're looking at a 33 year old Curry with Thompson. Iguodala and Livingston will be gone by then. I'm not sure what that team is accomplishing.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Deuce wrote:
acmillis wrote:I don't see enough value out of Draymond to give him a rich deal. Some team will be dumb enough to pay him $25M/year but it shouldn't be GSW.

I could get on board with that. But I also think Curry and Thompson's games overlap more than either of them do with Draymond. But let's say Durant leaves. Draymond gets a max offer elsewhere in 2021. Now you're looking at a 33 year old Curry with Thompson. Iguodala and Livingston will be gone by then. I'm not sure what that team is accomplishing.

You're right, but what is GSW supposed to do, overpay for a guy that averages 7, 7, and 7 in Draymond?

I also see Klay leaving in FA. Just my thoughts with no facts to back it up, but I think he thinks he can be "that dude" for a team. I think he'll also realize that, like you stated, Curry will be out or at least on the way out of his prime, and once that happens, what FAs are thinking GSW is the most attractive option.

Again, just pulling this out my ***, but I see GSW being relevant for maybe 5-7 more years, then falling off a cliff. I think Kerr will retire, nobody but Curry will remain, and once he is gone, GSW has this big beautiful new arena that nobody will come to, players and fans alike.
acmillis

Postby Deuce » Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm

acmillis wrote:
Deuce wrote:

You're right, but what is GSW supposed to do, overpay for a guy that averages 7, 7, and 7 in Draymond?

I also see Klay leaving in FA. Just my thoughts with no facts to back it up, but I think he thinks he can be "that dude" for a team. I think he'll also realize that, like you stated, Curry will be out or at least on the way out of his prime, and once that happens, what FAs are thinking GSW is the most attractive option.

Again, just pulling this out my ***, but I see GSW being relevant for maybe 5-7 more years, then falling off a cliff. I think Kerr will retire, nobody but Curry will remain, and once he is gone, GSW has this big beautiful new arena that nobody will come to, players and fans alike.

Woah...what do you mean by relevant? I think they can only compete for a championship in the next 2-3 years. If they're only left with Curry + one of Klay or Draymond, they would continue to make the playoffs, but probably as a middle seed.

I'm not sure if you've seen this clip before, but if it's any indicator, you may be right about Klay leaving- https://twitter.com/washedstar/status/1 ... 23712?s=12
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Klay loves LA and has always wanted to go back. I could see him leaving.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Tue May 14, 2019 2:21 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:Klay loves LA and has always wanted to go back. I could see him leaving.

If I were a FA this offseason, I'd take a hard look at the Clippers. A superstar who can put the ball in the basket could really elevate that team to contender status.
Deuce

Postby acmillis » Tue May 14, 2019 4:14 pm

Deuce wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Klay loves LA and has always wanted to go back. I could see him leaving.

If I were a FA this offseason, I'd take a hard look at the Clippers. A superstar who can put the ball in the basket could really elevate that team to contender status.

Klay + Kawhi to LAC would be interesting.
acmillis

Postby sanka » Tue May 14, 2019 7:53 pm

Lmaoooooooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ the Knicks.

Zion doesn't want to go the Big Easy!!
The French Revolution taught us the right of man.
sanka

Postby Phantom Phenom » Tue May 14, 2019 8:22 pm

Nice, Zion and Anthony Davis
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Nice, Zion and Anthony Davis

Not for long
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Tue May 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Nice, Zion and the haul they'll get for Anthony Davis.

FIFY.

Although I could see Zion going Kobe on New Orleans. In which case, it'd be two hauls.
MJW

Postby acmillis » Wed May 15, 2019 7:39 am

MJW wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Nice, Zion and the haul they'll get for Anthony Davis.

FIFY.

Although I could see Zion going Kobe on New Orleans. In which case, it'd be two hauls.

I think this is the best rout for NO. AD ain't staying, no way. Zion won't be able to carry a team by himself for at least a few years and free agents are not coming to NO. Sell the farm and.

It ain't gonna happen, but Klay and Draymond and however many picks for Zion.
acmillis

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports