**OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2018-2019 NHL Season Thre

Postby Alpha » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Y'all aren't getting it.

This is being legislated OUT of the league. This started with the Bertuzzi/Moore sucker-punch, years ago. Look up the video, if you don't remember. Ever since that NIGHT, the NHL has been changing in order to become a more "fan-friendly" or "mainstream" sport. The owners can't keep charging expansion teams 500 MIL+ for fans to watch a riot on ice. These guys are amazing athletes and we want to see that, not some ankle-bending Frankenstein.

(Sidenote: You just saw it tonight in the Pens/Caps game...Malkin ejected for an elbow shot to Oshies head)

The reason why the Lightning have been this good for this long is because Yzerman was one of the first GM's to recognize what the league was becoming. More speed and skill and skating...less fighting, goonish play. Honestly, the "old-school" type of hockey is what got me hooked initially so I'm a little conflicted but it is what it is. There is still plenty of room in the game for hard checking...LEGALLY.

I went back and re-watched the Lucic thing. Honestly...it really wasn't that bad...and it could've been a HELLUVA lot worse if Lucic really wanted it to be. He gave Joseph a slap in the leg to let him know he wanted to fight. Joseph did the smart thing and ignored him. Lucic SHOULD'VE found a different dance partner...instead he cheap-shotted Joseph...that's why he got the fine. He only gave Joseph one shot in the head...really a slap...and then pinned him on the ice and kinda mushed his face in the ice. He could've WASTED Joseph...Lucic is HUGE and Joseph is what...165 or so? LOL! Joseph was LAUGHING on the bench after. He was SMART. And that's what you need to be in today's NHL.

And mark my words: In YOUR lifetime, the NHL is going to European sized ice. It's only a matter of time.
Alpha

Postby ComingThisFall » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:32 am

Problem for our Bolts is the playoffs. That’s when the league let’s them revert to the good old ways of playing and our vanilla midgets get beat up
ComingThisFall

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:08 am

ComingThisFall wrote:That was the good thing about having Boyle. Now you’re right we don’t really have any enforcers just a bunch of speedy vanilla midgets. We need to get someone before the playoffs start

Sure.

We need to get some gorilla who is gonna "send a message" and then get suspended for 20 games...because Tom Wilson...and I LIKE Tom Wilson! He's far too talented to be gooning it up.

What you're really wanting is someone who is big enough to fight, when the other guy wants to fight. Unfortunately, that guy is a big, slow ankle-bender that isn't good enough offensively to help you win games. Take a look at Lucic's numbers AND CONTRACT...and then tell me you want him on your team. If you do, you're an idiot.

The bad thing about having Boyle is that he's just not a good enough player to play for a good team. And don't even bring up the hat-trick...he'd be the 8th best D-man on the Lightning. Maybe.

But hey...if you want your 8th "best" defenseman on the active roster in case of a fight, then have at it. I'll take the "vanilla midgets" and beat your brains in.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 am

there will always be fighting in Hockey,they are cleaning alot of it up but without players policing themselves it could get even worse.
Jason Bourne

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:57 am

ComingThisFall wrote:Problem for our Bolts is the playoffs. That’s when the league let’s them revert to the good old ways of playing and our vanilla midgets get beat up

It sure played out that way in last season's playoffs. Our guys were constantly getting pushed around. Go back and read some of the comments from last season's playoffs and it was talked about.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Kress » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 am

Hockey traditionalists, including players and coaches, have often pointed to increased hits as a part of playoff hockey. Some teams have altered their strategy to embody a more physical style, simply because it is the playoffs.

The impact of hitting has been explored before during the 2014-15 season, the 2015 playoffs (both by Garret Hohl), and the 2016 playoffs (by @yolo_pinyato). However, none found a decisive correlating success to hits.

Pierre LeBrun cited the St. Louis Blues physical game as the key to their victory over the Dallas Stars in the 2016 Stanley Cup Semifinals: “The Blues’ physical and structured game wears down teams over seven games. The Stars looked out of breath by Game 7. All those hits by the Blues are an investment right from Game 1 of a series.” But a complete analysis of LeBrun's theory for the 2016 playoffs did not find any correlation between cumulative hits and winning percentage per series.

The New York Rangers in the 2017 Stanley Cup Quarterfinals, for example, sacrificed their speed and skill game to emulate the Canadiens’ more physical style in the first three games of the series. When head coach Alain Vigneault was asked about the Rangers’ changing their strategy for this series after their Game 3 loss, where the Rangers had 41 hits and 21 shot attempts, he responded by saying “I would say that’s playoff hockey.” Changing their game to include that level of physical play had a negative influence on their success, which was why they recognized that going back to their original strategy was needed moving forward.

For the Rangers in particular, it seems that increased hitting may not have been solely because it was the playoffs, but because it was a component of their opponent’s game. Had they done this in a regular season game, it may have gone unnoticed or been noted due to their opponent. The Rangers shift in strategy in the playoffs was magnified since it was seen in six consecutive games against the same opponent. But when the Rangers prioritized hitting over offense, their game suffered.

In total, there was no conclusive evidence to support the idea that a team’s increased hitting facilitated their success in the first round of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs. As a quick review: The Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, Ottawa Senators, Anaheim Ducks, and St. Louis Blues were all outhit in their first round series, yet they all managed to win.
Kress

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:46 pm

Great shot Joseph !
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:27 am

Watching the replay now. Through 2 periods, Koekkoek has been pretty impressive. It goes without saying but Vasy is his usual monster self as well.

Koekkoek is gonna be an interesting case. Especially when Hedman returns. I wonder if the Bolts are playing opossum with him and are gonna sign him to an extension at the end of the year. He's really played well in Hedman's absence. He's a former #9 pick. He just looks like it's starting to come together for him.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:50 am

Kress wrote:In total, there was no conclusive evidence to support the idea that a team’s increased hitting facilitated their success in the first round of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs. As a quick review: The Pittsburgh Penguins, Washington Capitals, Ottawa Senators, Anaheim Ducks, and St. Louis Blues were all outhit in their first round series, yet they all managed to win.
[/quote]

Teams know this.

It's pretty easy to forget how good the Capitals were, before they won their Cup. They had (I believe, 2) President Cups in the last few years.

Stamkos, Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Hedman, etc. These guys are 27/28 years old? Ovechkin was what...31/32 before he won last year? Point, Kuch, Vasy, Joseph, Miller, Sergachev, Cirelli...these guys are ALL under 26 years old!?

Everyone needs to calm the **** down. This team will be contenders for YEARS. They will be in the hunt for the Cup EVERY YEAR (baring multiple, catastrophic injuries in a given year).

BTW...just watched the replay tonight. Poor 3rd period after 4 straight wins. Not surprising. I actually won money by taking the money line with OTT tonight. The Bolts were due for a beat.

Watch out for Joseph. 2 more goals tonight. Dude can score. Pretty scary start...especially in relation to Pont's career start.

Should bode well come playoff time.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:22 pm

I really thought the Bolts were in a bad spot tonight. I was looking to take advantage but BUF is only +110...so apparently, the odds-makers think the same.

1-0 BUF

The Bolts aren't playing bad, necessarily. BUF isn't as deep but they're a good team. Finally.

It'll be interesting to see how this game goes. I think Tampa has been a lot of smoke and mirrors...especially on defense. Combined with Domingue in net...meh...I definitely don't have a good feeling about this.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Un-freaking-real.

BUF goalie is playing OUT OF HIS MIND.

The Bolts could EASILY have 5-6 goals...instead...2-1 BUF.

The Bolts are playing well. Can't complain about the effort. Defense is playing well...just no puck luck thus far.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:19 pm

Wow.

That's some ****.

Bolts lose 2-1 with Kuch hitting the post TWICE, in the last minute.

ZERO puck luck tonight. The Bolts outplayed BUF for the VAST majority of this game. Domingue was stellar.

I feel almost bad for Pittsburgh on Thursday. I think the Bolts are gonna lay an epic smack down on the Pens. Puck luck tends to even itself out, over the course of a year. The shots that weren't going in tonight ARE going to go in eventually. And they tend to go in, in bunches.

And Tampa is too good to lose 3 straight.

Good luck, Pittsburgh.
Alpha

Postby Buc2 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:41 pm

Breaking...

Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy will be out "for awhile" with a fractured left foot, TSN's Darren Dreger reported today.

The Lightning has recalled goalie Eddie Pasquale from AHL Syracuse, vice president and general manager Julien BriseBois announced in a news release. The release did not mention Vasilevskiy.

Presumably, Pasquale will back up Louis Domingue with the Lightning.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:33 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuug
SixStringSamurai

Postby Teitan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:46 pm

This is bad.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Not good, but as long as Vasy can return by late-Feb/March and get be ready for the playoffs it should be OK. Typically broken bones require 6-8 weeks to heal depending on severity, but if there is ligament damage as well it would push it out longer.

The Bolts have enough talent to still qualify for the playoffs.

Still bad news, but the playoffs are all that matters for this Bolts teams so getting Vasy and the rest of the team as healthy as possible before April it should be OK. Regular season ends April 6th, so just less than 5 months from now.
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:12 pm

Pointer with 3 goals in about 1 1/2 minutes , nice Hatty !!
Jason Bourne

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:15 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Pointer with 3 goals in about 1 1/2 minutes , nice Hatty !!

3-3
Phantom Phenom

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:38 pm

Hope Vasy makes it back sooner than later .. Domingue is good just seems a little off
Jason Bourne

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:39 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:Hope Vasy makes it back sooner than later .. Domingue is good just seems a little off

Fo sho
Phantom Phenom

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Domingue is good just seems a little off

That's crazy talk. Domingue kept them in this game. He played extremely well. Facing 3 straight PP's ain't easy. Vasy would've given up BOTH of those goals. Most of those shots Domingue faced in the 1st, were HIGH QUALITY shots. He made several OUTSTANDING saves. TONIGHT, Domingue played well enough to win.

Call it what it is: Domigue is gonna give up 3 a night. Vasy...around 2. We're gonna score @4/night. There are gonna be some ugly losses, for sure. Domingue ain't Vasy.

I look for the Bolts to trade for someone to SPLIT starts. If we can go .500 while Vasy is gone...that's a win. They just can't afford a collapse like what happened 2 years ago, when Stammer missed all that time.

As stated earlier...this team has a proven history of succeeding in the playoffs. I don't give a DAMN if they go in as an 8 seed. IF they're healthy come playoff time...that is ALL that matters.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:38 am

And don't get it wrong. We're gonna have to win a LOT of 4-3/5-4/6-5 games. Domingue is gonna have to take some bad beats (like ARI) from time to time, simply because they can't put anyone else in. We may wait a minute to trade...seeing how we do with Domingue and Pasquale...and seeing how we do in the standings.

We have the team to do this.

The bigger problem is that there are no terrible teams, in our division. The injury thing needs to even things out and quickly. Maybe BUF and OTT become those teams, if they have some unfortunate injuries.

NASH is in as bad a shape as we are...and they play in an equally tough division.

It's a LONG season. Just keep our heads above water for the next 4-6 weeks and we'll be fine.
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:50 pm

Cirelli ! GW ! Young guns playing well
Jason Bourne

Postby SixStringSamurai » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:50 pm

I didn’t catch the last 10 minutes of the game but damn that OT goal. It was 5-1 when I checked the game last, what happened lol
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:32 am

Alpha wrote:And don't get it wrong. We're gonna have to win a LOT of 4-3/5-4/6-5 games.

Take your "Get Ready" pill, kids.

The next month is gonna be ugly. If we didn't have the offense we do, we'd be done, losing Vasy for this long. If we can play .500 (or slightly better), I'd consider this a win.

So this is my Christmas wish: We're in 3rd place or better, in our division, by January 1st. Take a look at the standings...this is FAR from a guarantee.
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Meh, they just look like they aren’t into this game. Piss poor effort. They’re playing like ****. Looking like there’s an extra guy on ice for predators.
SixStringSamurai

Postby SixStringSamurai » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Let’s kill this penalty and get back in it!
SixStringSamurai

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:24 am

Only saw bits and pieces. What I saw didn't look good.

They just don't look motivated right now.

That said, they made it a tight game. On the road. Against one of the best teams in the league.

I have a bigger concern. And it's not necessarily the play of the Lightning. It's everyone else in the East. TOR is as expected...but BUF/MON/BOS/COL/NYR/NYI/WAS...

There are teams that EVERYBODY thought would suck, that are doing much better than expected. In the Lightning's case, I really don't think it matters if they go in as an 8 seed or a 1 seed. IF they make it in, they're an automatic favorite...regardless of seeding. Same with WAS and PIT (although they may have played themselves out of the playoffs). The first 20 games will not get you IN the playoffs...but a crap start CAN get you out of it.

The crap teams in the East are teams that most thought would contend. PIT/FLA/NJ/PHI are bringing up the rear. THAT, to me, is the biggest concern.

The Lightning can't afford to go into a month long funk...at least until these teams start to sort themselves out. As long as everyone is good (or decent), the Bolts need to keep near the top.

We all need to see the MON and BUF of the world start to sink, like they usually do.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:31 am

And tonight was why the Bolts are made to be so good during the regular season.

The Good:

This team has depth in scoring like no other. Their FOURTH line is ridiculous. I warned y'all about Joseph LAST year. Just wait until he moves up in lines. The great thing is that we STILL have guys in the AHL that will be as good (or better) than him. Katchouk, Somppi, Raddysh, Stephens, Masin, Foote. The Lightning tend to let their kids cook in the AHL longer than most organizations...but these kids are coming. Sooner rather than later. And in case you thought they don't draft well...just look how Brett Howden is doing with the Rangers. He was the Bolts next Center...before Point turned out to be a stud...

The PP is really clicking. It's almost unfair.

Stamkos is playing out of his mind. It's kind of weird to see him transition from pure sniper to play-maker. He can still bury it from his office but he sets guys up to score like a savant.

Cernak is showing why he nearly made the team out of camp. He plays like how Coburn SHOULD play...and I ain't knocking Coburn's play...he's been incredible this year. But Cernak is a beast and plays like his size.

The Bad:

Not much. It's pretty obvious that the Bolts miss Stralman as much as they miss Vasy. I've always underestimated Stralman...you really don't realize he's playing...until he isn't.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Looks like I picked a good day to call in sick.

The Lightning look ridiculously good.
Alpha

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports