**Official Soccer Thread**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: **Official Soccer Thread**

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:47 pm

There were some great profile videos posted on some of the USMNT up and comers. Easy to get excited about the future of US Soccer watching these. I'll post the links rather than embed them since there are a bunch... there are 11 of them (coincidence?).

Matt Miazga: https://youtu.be/aEGmr72WSsk

Cameron Carter Vickers: https://youtu.be/4Ifg0cXtZ8s

Cristian Roldan: https://youtu.be/M_2A54Gekys

Christian Pulisic: https://youtu.be/CzQlJE1MNAk

Kellyn Acosta: https://youtu.be/SCAfo02ZVCA

DeAndre Yedlin: https://youtu.be/Eo-L2SqwDyc

Zack Steffen: https://youtu.be/bvycd1XPB_A

Josh Sargent: https://youtu.be/bKuAg3qk5eQ

Tyler Adams: https://youtu.be/yVQ9KohecTE

Weston McKennie: https://youtu.be/28bqnz1Gfj4

Tim Weah: https://youtu.be/V7UIBKa6zQE
Deja Entendu

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Pulisic is having a great first half against City
Zarniwoop

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:50 am

Im going to attend Manchester United and Liverpool FC game this Saturday at Michigan Stadium!
Phantom Phenom

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am

EPL starts today.

Prediction
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Tottenham
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

I doubt Arsenal finishes 4th but otherwise I don't hate that list.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:EPL starts today.

Prediction
1. City
2. Liverpool
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Chelsea
6. Tottenham

*stares longingly at 1st place*

*offers cigars and rum to Jobu so Salah can duplicate last year's success*

*brandishes blade across chicken's neck for Sturridge to score more*
Swashy

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 pm

*changes name to Jobu*
NYBF

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:36 pm

*believes it when the Mets can hit a curveball*
Swashy

Postby Deja Entendu » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 am

****, Yedlin was helped off the field after injuring his knee. Looked to hyperextend it and came down awkwardly as it gave out... did not look good.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-yedlin ... 05084.html
Deja Entendu

Postby The Outsider » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:57 am

As the resident Arsenal fan I can say City still looks like the best team in the league. However, Arsenal is playing their first competitive game under a new manager and in a new system. The high press Emery is running really gave City issues all game long, unfortunately Arsenal still can't buy a goal, but they had four or five great chances from turnovers they created in City's defensive third.
The Outsider

Postby Swashy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:46 pm

The Outsider wrote:As the resident Arsenal fan I can say City still looks like the best team in the league. However, Arsenal is playing their first competitive game under a new manager and in a new system. The high press Emery is running really gave City issues all game long, unfortunately Arsenal still can't buy a goal, but they had four or five great chances from turnovers they created in City's defensive third.

To be perfectly fair to the Gunners, City is not an ideal draw for your first regular season game in a new system. But I have to imagine anticipation is high for next week's game against Chelsea. It should prove a good measuring stick to where Arsenal is early on in the season and at least the schedule lightens up from there.
Swashy

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:33 pm

Anyone see Rooney’s slide tackle strip and assist? Good stuff
Zarniwoop

Postby acmillis » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Anyone see Rooney’s slide tackle strip and assist? Good stuff

Great play by him...but WTF was the Orlando FC player thinking. You either take the shot at the empty net OR you cross the ball where not one, but two of your teammates are waiting to tap it in. That game was frustrating to watch.

Also, the keeper for Orlando...how do you not come out and get that ball. It was in the air for what...three seconds. And it was at the 6?!?!?
acmillis

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:****, Yedlin was helped off the field after injuring his knee. Looked to hyperextend it and came down awkwardly as it gave out... did not look good.

https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-yedlin ... 05084.html

He was cleared to practice. His legs must be made of rubber.
Deja Entendu

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:06 am

NYBF wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:DC United just paid 12 million pounds for Wayne Rooney

What a freaking waste....LOL

In what way do you think it's a waste? You think they're not going to make that money back in terms of merchandise and tickets?

Will he add to the team's talent level? I don't really know. Don't follow MLS enough to know.

The real problem with the deal? It hurts the MLS trying to shed their retirement league image.

I’ll eat some crow here. Rooney seems to be reinvigorated and is making an impact. I should have learned from Dwyer’s success in coming here. I guess part of me wants to think (hope) the MLS is better than it is
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Claudio Reyna's son just signed on to train with Dortmund. He is 15 so he has to wait till he turns 16 to actually go (He can go at 16 instead of 18 because he has a Portugese passport)

I hope more and more Americans take this route.
Zarniwoop

Postby Swashy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:23 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:Claudio Reyna's son just signed on to train with Dortmund. He is 15 so he has to wait till he turns 16 to actually go (He can go at 16 instead of 18 because he has a Portugese passport)

To be frank about it, this will be the only way Americans will reach the same level as the rest of the world. We absolutely have the athletes who can become some of the best in the world but none of them are doing this 9 and 10 months a year at the same level competition or in the same training regimen. Every time I think about someone like a Randy Moss who had elite speed, footwork, eye-to-body-to-object coordination, jumping ability, compete level and innate understanding of how to opponents spirit becoming a soccer player I wonder how the USA would stack up against the rest of the world if we ever got serious about soccer. He may not be the best example to use or to say athletes like him are commonplace but you get my point about the attributes and putting them on the pitch instead of the gridiron.

I hope in 20-30 years the advent of MLS will have more of our children playing and making an impact at the world stage like we are just now finally starting to see in hockey. The likes of Kane, Quick, Matthews, Eichel, Werenski and soon to be Jack Hughes are arguably the finest American talent ever produced and it's not just the old guard of Housely, Chelios, Modano and Roenick anymore where they were elite players that just happened to be from the USA.
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:25 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
NYBF wrote:
In what way do you think it's a waste? You think they're not going to make that money back in terms of merchandise and tickets?

Will he add to the team's talent level? I don't really know. Don't follow MLS enough to know.

The real problem with the deal? It hurts the MLS trying to shed their retirement league image.

I’ll eat some crow here. Rooney seems to be reinvigorated and is making an impact. I should have learned from Dwyer’s success in coming here. I guess part of me wants to think (hope) the MLS is better than it is

An over the hill Zlatan has only played in 19 games (only started 16) and has 15 goals. I heard him on the Dan Patrick show basically saying it's relaxing playing in MLS. The same effort isn't required. Of course he made this statement in the 3rd person. He's a pretty hilarious person.
uscbucsfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:28 am

Swashy wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:Claudio Reyna's son just signed on to train with Dortmund. He is 15 so he has to wait till he turns 16 to actually go (He can go at 16 instead of 18 because he has a Portugese passport)

To be frank about it, this will be the only way Americans will reach the same level as the rest of the world. We absolutely have the athletes who can become some of the best in the world but none of them are doing this 9 and 10 months a year at the same level competition or in the same training regimen. Every time I think about someone like a Randy Moss who had elite speed, footwork, eye-to-body-to-object coordination, jumping ability, compete level and innate understanding of how to opponents spirit becoming a soccer player I wonder how the USA would stack up against the rest of the world if we ever got serious about soccer. He may not be the best example to use or to say athletes like him are commonplace but you get my point about the attributes and putting them on the pitch instead of the gridiron.

I hope in 20-30 years the advent of MLS will have more of our children playing and making an impact at the world stage like we are just now finally starting to see in hockey. The likes of Kane, Quick, Matthews, Eichel, Werenski and soon to be Jack Hughes are arguably the finest American talent ever produced and it's not just the old guard of Housely, Chelios, Modano and Roenick anymore where they were elite players that just happened to be from the USA.

Soccer has always been one of the most popular sports with our children. The problem is at they get older they switch to other sports and our super talented kids aren't picked out of school and put into clubs/camps like in other countries. A really small percentage of kids play Hockey compared to Soccer.
uscbucsfan

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Swashy wrote:

Soccer has always been one of the most popular sports with our children. The problem is at they get older they switch to other sports and our super talented kids aren't picked out of school and put into clubs/camps like in other countries. A really small percentage of kids play Hockey compared to Soccer.

In defense of hockey it's seasonal and it's wildly expensive and those devoted to it pretty much have to be sort of like football. But to your point about a lack of clubs and leagues can you really blame them for switching up? But the sword cuts both ways. Each individual case is interesting because unless the programs and camps were wide spread some of those players would have to decide to leave home by their early teens to make a developing sport (in the USA) a priority. For a poor child growing up in the slums of Rio De Janiero, he thinks his developmental program is his golden ticket because soccer is to Brazil as NFL/college football is to us. But for that American I sometimes wonder how apprehensive they would be if given the same opportunity simply because soccer is not held in such high esteem.
Swashy

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:33 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Swashy wrote:

To me it was easy to see why Zlatan would score. He is a world class finisher. He never relied on speed. He has more skill than any forward in the MLS. He was still scoring in Ligue 1 and EPL. He had 45 league goals in his last two years.

None of those things applied to Rooney.
Zarniwoop

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:41 am

Toronto FC and U.S. national team striker Jozy Altidore could be headed back to Europe, a source with knowledge of the situation has told ESPN FC.

Altidore, 28, has drawn the interest of a club in Serie A as well as one in Ligue 1, and while the Italian transfer window closes on Friday, the French window doesn't close until the end of this month, providing some time to get a deal done.
Zarniwoop

Postby The Outsider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:28 am

Zarniwoop wrote:
Toronto FC and U.S. national team striker Jozy Altidore could be headed back to Europe, a source with knowledge of the situation has told ESPN FC.

Altidore, 28, has drawn the interest of a club in Serie A as well as one in Ligue 1, and while the Italian transfer window closes on Friday, the French window doesn't close until the end of this month, providing some time to get a deal done.

That would be the worst thing for Jozy. I mean he couldn't even cut it at Sunderland. Ligue 1 might be okay because it's similar in quality to the Eredivise except with one super club. Serie A though, way to strong of a league, especially defensively for Jozy to be successful.
The Outsider

Postby Zarniwoop » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:14 pm

The Outsider wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

That would be the worst thing for Jozy. I mean he couldn't even cut it at Sunderland. Ligue 1 might be okay because it's similar in quality to the Eredivise except with one super club. Serie A though, way to strong of a league, especially defensively for Jozy to be successful.

I hope he goes away...I don't want to have to hear about him / see him anymore.

One of the biggest all time non-injury disappointments for the US -- on level of Clint Mathis IMO.
Zarniwoop

Previous

Return to Other Sports