***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:40 am

Yep , exactly !
Jason Bourne

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:07 am

There's no way Yzerman's dealing Point AND Sergy. Zero chance.

If we make a move for Karlsson, it'd be TJ, a couple of picks & 1-2 of our top prospects. I don't see Yzerman willing to part with any more than that.

Alpha said there's no way we deal Sergachev for Karlsson, unless he agrees to an extension, which you then said there's no way he would. I wouldn't rule that out entirely. I could see him agreeing to an extension & not asking for his full value. I'd place a large wager that during All-Star weekend, Stamkos & Hedman talked to Karlsson about doing just that. No state income tax helps a ton, plus Yzerman has obviously built a machine here, and Karlsson very much appears to like it in Tampa with Hedman & co. I'm not saying it will happen, I just don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE that Karlsson would agree to a "friendly" extension to come here.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:59 am

pewterpirates wrote:There's no way Yzerman's dealing Point AND Sergy. Zero chance.

If we make a move for Karlsson, it'd be TJ, a couple of picks & 1-2 of our top prospects. I don't see Yzerman willing to part with any more than that.

Alpha said there's no way we deal Sergachev for Karlsson, unless he agrees to an extension, which you then said there's no way he would. I wouldn't rule that out entirely. I could see him agreeing to an extension & not asking for his full value. I'd place a large wager that during All-Star weekend, Stamkos & Hedman talked to Karlsson about doing just that. No state income tax helps a ton, plus Yzerman has obviously built a machine here, and Karlsson very much appears to like it in Tampa with Hedman & co. I'm not saying it will happen, I just don't think it's IMPOSSIBLE that Karlsson would agree to a "friendly" extension to come here.

thinking the same thing, TJ and or koekoek, Dothcin couple picks/prospects, we have an awesome young nucleous no way yzerman messes it up.

we could have 2 awesome power play lines, Karlson could play the # 1 with heddy on the power play or jump out there with sergy.. would almost be unfair... prolly wont happen but it would be awesome.
Jason Bourne

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:39 pm

Even though a big trade for Karlsson may hurt us some in the long run (and I'm talking about 5+ years long run), I'd say it's worth it to give up some young/future assets for a guy like Karlsson and make a serious run at the Cup this year & next year.

I'd rather win 1-2 Cups the next two years then have to find tricky ways to manage the roster for a couple 'down' years in the future as opposed to being a good team that makes a couple playoff runs but never hoists the Cup.

I'm not saying to entirely mortgage our entire future for just short term success. But there's a way to increase our chances of winning the Cup this year and next year while still maintaining a solid future. I just would hate to be so concerned with protecting the future that we never win it all in the next couple years.

In the end, I trust Yzerman to make the right move for now and for the future. Can't wait to see what happens.
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pm

pewterpirates wrote:There's no way Yzerman's dealing Point AND Sergy. Zero chance.

Haven't heard ANYONE or ANY SOURCE mention BOTH Sergachev AND Point, btw.

I suppose it is possible for Karlsson to extend as part of the deal. If that were the case (as someone mentioned earlier), I'd help Sergachev pack his bags. However that would be the ONLY scenario where I would deal him.

Also, I find it HIGHLY unlikely we deal 6 or 7 assets for ANYONE. That's patently absurd. The only reason this type of trade is even discussed is because of what the idiot GM in OTT gave up for Duchene...and there was another team involved in the trade as well (NASH, I think). Other GM's see that trade and think their studs HAVE to be worth 6 or 7 assets. It just doesn't happen. It wouldn't take 6 assets to get Karlsson. I'd bet you a dollar it could get done with 4. It's gonna be a sweet 4, though. Something like TJ, Koekkoek, a 1st and somebody like Howden, Raddysh or Matthieu...a Top Tier prospect.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 pm

Outside the box thinking: Let's give them Chris Archer and Kevin Kiermaier for Karlsson. A dual-purpose trade. We complete the Rays' tank job, and improve the only real team left in this market. It may have to be a three city deal, like we send Archer and Kiermaier to the St. Louis Cardinals, and the Blues then send hockey assets to Ottawa, bit you get the gist. Finish off the Rays, build the Lightning.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:19 pm

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning ... nt-roster/

A new trade deadline interview by Joe Smith with Stevie Y. Some interesting tidbits here, including:

"Yzerman is unsure what he'll be able to do at deadline, noting there are "very limited" fits. What he won't be doing is dealing from his current roster. "We're trying to keep this team together with the hope of improving it.""

Obviously this can all be BS. He's not gonna tip his hand to the media.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:54 pm

TJ ! 1-0
Jason Bourne

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Yeah yeah Jason
Phantom Phenom

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Yeah yeah Jason

?
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:08 pm

Ugh. Dotchin
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Heddy !! 2-1 what a play !
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Pointer !! 4-1
Jason Bourne

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Saved by the bell
Phantom Phenom

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 pm

And another ****ing one of these goaltender interference calls
SixStringSamurai

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 pm

When's the last time we built AND THEN MAINTAINED a 3+ goal lead? Holy freaking hell. Feels like every time we take a 3-0 or 4-1 lead, we let teams right back in it then have to hold on for dear life down the stretch. Gotta find a way to break that habit.

Domingue was great tonight. Ottawa's second goal was bs. If that's not goalie interference, then wtf is?
pewterpirates

Postby Alpha » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:44 am

pewterpirates wrote:http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/2018/02/22/lightning-not-planning-to-trade-from-current-roster/

A new trade deadline interview by Joe Smith with Stevie Y. Some interesting tidbits here, including:

"Yzerman is unsure what he'll be able to do at deadline, noting there are "very limited" fits. What he won't be doing is dealing from his current roster. "We're trying to keep this team together with the hope of improving it.""

Obviously this can all be BS. He's not gonna tip his hand to the media.

Clearly...Yzerman is posturing...somewhat. NOBODY would sit here and say he wouldn't include Coburn or Sustr or Koekkoek in ANY potential deal. Especially since the last 2 are free agents at the end of the year (UFA/RFA).

Of course it's true that he "...may not be able to do anything". We may very well go with what we have. Yzerman is no fool. He'll do the right thing because he always has.

We'll see. In Yzerman I Trust.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:47 am

pewterpirates wrote:When's the last time we built AND THEN MAINTAINED a 3+ goal lead? Holy freaking hell. Feels like every time we take a 3-0 or 4-1 lead, we let teams right back in it then have to hold on for dear life down the stretch. Gotta find a way to break that habit.

Domingue was great tonight. Ottawa's second goal was bs. If that's not goalie interference, then wtf is?

NOBODY knows what interference is. Even the refs.

And...when was the last time the Bolts just put a team away by putting up a 6 spot? First month or 2 of the year, I think.

Thank God we have the depth we do on this team. Kucherov was a beast tonight. Domingue was fantastic...I'll take him over Budaj EVERY time. Very nice move by Yzerman, earlier in the year, btw...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:57 am

Ok. We're coming into the weekend. The trade deadline is HERE. Here are my thoughts...based on what I've seen/read/heard from a variety of sources.

1) Karlsson isn't going ANYWHERE...at the trade deadline. MAYBE over the summer. MAYBE (If OTT GM Dorian is a dumb as most believe), as a rental NEXT year. It would take an equally retarded GM to give up what OTT "wants" to move Karlsson, this weekend. That ain't happening.

2) I think the Bolts are looking primarily...at McDonough, as their "Holy Grail". IF he can be had for the right price: 2...maybe 3 assets. NO current roster players. Draft pick(s) and a top prospect. If it's 2 picks...it'll be a lower prospect. maybe a pick, a middling prospect and a conditional pick. OR...

3) A "depth" guy. Someone off the radar who is good at faceoffs...or the PK. Some 2nd/3rd liner who brings something here that we aren't already good at. This is probably the most likely. i just have no idea who.

4) Koekkoek and Sustr and Erne. These guys need to move...especially if they don't play full time, next year. We already over-pay for Sustr...and he's a FA next year. Koekkoek is also a FA next year. Kunitz comes off the books (potentially)...but he's a forward. It's very likely that we SELL some assets as opposed to ACQUIRING them. Yzerman has a track record of doing this very thing. The problem is...we only play 7 defensemen/night. Thus, any potential trade of these guys would require a defenseman coming back...they typically don't excel at faceoffs. McDonough makes a nice PP QB on the 2nd unit...and a significant upgrade on defense.

Dying to see who Yzerman fleeces this weekend. Thank God I'm working or I'd never leave the computer...
Alpha

Postby SixStringSamurai » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:07 pm

Any of guys have tickets to sell for the flyers game!
SixStringSamurai

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Joe smith was talking about a 3rd team getting involved in a Karlsson trade - as in a 3 team deal to help with cap relief . Interesting
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Wow ! Hope this works out !! Karlsson might happen !

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rawcha ... k-karlsson
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:39 am

Jason Bourne wrote:Joe smith was talking about a 3rd team getting involved in a Karlsson trade - as in a 3 team deal to help with cap relief . Interesting

Hmmm...looks like if it doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of effort.

Looks like we have an intersting couple of days ahead of us...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:54 am

Since the sources for this presumed "trade" seem pretty legit...it got me to thinking.

IF we acquire Karlsson...the trade can't be made in a vaccuum. We now have too many defensemen. Koekkoek, Sustr, Dotchin and/or Coburn will have to be traded. Or put on waivers. I don't think anyone is going to take Coburn so I'll rule him out.

At the beginning of the year, there was (according to Yzerman), substantial interest in Koekkoek. He and Sustr have received substantial playing time this year. It's pretty interesting...Koekkoek NEEDS to go and play somewhere else to fully develop. I THINK he has the highest ceiling...but I also believe that Sustr has played better THIS YEAR. Obviously, they are different types of defensemen...Koekkoek (offensive) and Sustr (defensive). I'm not sure how the waiver system works EXACTLY but I KNOW, neither would clear waivers (if they're even eligible). I also don't know if they're eligible for demotion (the 1-Way/2-Way contract thingy). Then there's Dotchin...who has either played Top 6 minutes OR has been a healthy scratch. Does he even have any value?

It wouldn't surprise me that Yzerman either has one or two of them included in any trade deal. Either to OTT or to one of these other (alleged) teams.

Regardless...the glut of defensemen would be an issue. I'm curious to see how Yzerman plays this out.

How about a Top 4 Pairing of:

Hedman/Karlsson
Strahlman/ Sergachev

That's pretty sick.

Maybe our 3 Deep looks like:

Hedman/Dotchin
Karlsson/Girardi
Stralman/Sergachev

Jesus...
Alpha

Postby Swashy » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:36 am

On another board a poster whom pretty much everyone trusts says that allegedly Sustr asked for a trade but to be honest I don't think I can take him at his word now. I figure in the event of acquiring Karlsson it'll look like this due to Girardi's previous playoff experience

Hedman-Stralman
Karlsson-Girardi (assuming Karlsson is willing to play the left side)
Sergachev-Coburn
Koekkoek

Trade Sustr if his little heart really did so desire and send Dotchin's ass back to the minors if we can't fit him into any playoff games
Swashy

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:55 am

Swashy wrote:On another board a poster whom pretty much everyone trusts says that allegedly Sustr asked for a trade but to be honest I don't think I can take him at his word now. I figure in the event of acquiring Karlsson it'll look like this due to Girardi's previous playoff experience

Hedman-Stralman
Karlsson-Girardi (assuming Karlsson is willing to play the left side)
Sergachev-Coburn
Koekkoek

Trade Sustr if his little heart really did so desire and send Dotchin's ass back to the minors if we can't fit him into any playoff games

Do you really see the Bolts only giving Sergachev 3rd line minutes? His time on ice would be reduced to about 8 min./game. I suppose it's possible but I'd hate to see it. I like watching Sergachev skate...he's a smooth mf'er...
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:58 am

One thing to look for here, in a couple of hours:

OTT plays at 2pm. IF Karlsson is a healthy scratch, I think it's safe to assume he's gonna be a Bolt.

I haven't found definitive word on OTT websites as to who will and won't be in their line up.
Alpha

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:05 pm

I hope they don’t trade Nikita Kucherov. He’s my favorite player
Phantom Phenom

Postby Brazen331 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:33 pm

I think Pittsburgh helped themselves greatly with Derick Brassard. That’s a top 6 C behind Crosby and Malkin, a 3-headed monster at the position for sure.

Not sure why Vegas gave Pitt cap help to get this deal done. There has got to be more coming. Did they really need a brawler that bad to get through the WC playoffs? There’s not as much fighting in today’s NHL. They basically ate 40 percent of Brassard’s contract for a 4th-rounder, seems like a luxury with all the picks they already have.

Wish they would have done something with Tampa regarding the cap instead. But something else has to be happening because James Neal has been ‘sick’ for going on 2 weeks now and they are scoring just fine without him in the lineup. They have got to be shopping him.

Edit: Now I know why Vegas facilitated this deal: the 4th rounder didn’t make much sense. Winnipeg was making a play for Brassard and Vegas didn’t want him to be a Jet, so Pitt benefited.
Last edited by Brazen331 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brazen331

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:03 pm

What happened to Carey Price?
Phantom Phenom

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports