***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby Teitan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:31 am

Rocker wrote:I saw an offense that reminded me of what we looked like a few years ago. Passing when the shot was there, expecting teammates to make the play.

Yep. Luckily, this season when they’ve fallen back into that habit, they’ve bounced back out of it quickly.
Teitan

Postby Kress » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 pm

Good observation. Shoot the puck! Hockey can be so random that way, with rebounds, etc., but you have to put the puck in play. Passing it around does nothing.

I agree that the Lightning have not been that way this year. This seems like an anomaly. At least I hope so.

Go Bolts!
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Quickly down 2-0 at Minnesota. They need to find a spark. I know they're coming off a bye & without Hedman ... but they gotta create their own spark. Boston is right on our butts.....

Edit: but I forget, you can't state facts around here, so nevermind. :roll: :)
pewterpirates

Postby Kress » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:45 pm

They're slumping. Gotta pull out of it.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:30 am

Kress wrote:They're slumping. Gotta pull out of it.

It's a long season. Not nearly concerned. Coop is clearly playing with the lines. Trying to make things click. It's gonna take some time to figure things out without Hedman.
The defense is a work in progress.

AGAIN:

Make the playoffs healthy and I'll take this team 100 times out of 100.

And it doesn't matter if they're a 1 seed or an 8 seed.

How good have they been?

Still in 1st place by a game and a half. Even sucking for their last 10 games.

CALM. YOUR. TITS.

All y'all.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:14 am

My tits are calm. I don't even think I have tits, so to speak.
But regardless, they're calm. I know that this is still the best team in hockey. But can we win a face off? And where is the defense? And the odd man rushes. We just look off all of a sudden. This does not look like the same team. I get the ebb and flow angle, but still.
Kress

Postby Kress » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:15 am

Also, Boston is on fire right now. Watch out.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:50 pm

Palat heading back to tampa for further evaluation on injury.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:55 pm

Kress wrote:Also, Boston is on fire right now. Watch out.

Yeah, I pointed that out. Boston won't stay on a roll like this, but 2 weeks ago, it felt like a certainty we'd take 1st in the division, but now it's a battle.

My "tits are calm" but there's reason to be concerned, moreso than Alpha would have you believe. First with a couple of the injuries but also just how out of sync we look. You can't just turn it on & off. We haven't been close to being a good team lately. But just gotta persevere this rought stretch & hope we find our level & style of play from the first couple months in time for the playoffs.
pewterpirates

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Phantom Phenom

Postby Kress » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:43 pm

My tits are calm. My balls, however, are a little restless. Unruly, even. Okay, to be honest, my balls are out of control right now. I need to talk my balls down. Maybe make them take an example from my tits.
Kress

Postby Alpha » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:16 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Kress wrote:Also, Boston is on fire right now. Watch out.

Yeah, I pointed that out. Boston won't stay on a roll like this, but 2 weeks ago, it felt like a certainty we'd take 1st in the division, but now it's a battle.

My "tits are calm" but there's reason to be concerned, moreso than Alpha would have you believe. First with a couple of the injuries but also just how out of sync we look. You can't just turn it on & off. We haven't been close to being a good team lately. But just gotta persevere this rought stretch & hope we find our level & style of play from the first couple months in time for the playoffs.

See...this is a much more rational, reasoned response than, "The season IS over". Wouldn't ya say?

I never said I wasn't concerned. Use your context clues.

We have lost one of the best defensemen in the league. We are gonna suffer. I said this earlier. It's gonna take time for the re-shuffling of the defense to start paying off. That's just a fact.

We are now bringing up Peca and Bournival. You can expect some more rough sledding. Things aren't gonna click with this team like it did when everyone was healthy.

We have earned our position. We have played well enough to endure some speed bumps.

Give me a healthy team going into the playoffs and I'll beat your brains in.

And don't be surprised if we make a play for Green from DET.
Alpha

Postby Kress » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 am

So now no Palat. Damn.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am

Alpha wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

See...this is a much more rational, reasoned response than, "The season IS over". Wouldn't ya say?

Well, to be fair, I did say "IF Hedman was done, the season IS over." He's not done for the entire season, so, like you said, if we're close to full strength entering the playoffs, I'll take it. The only time I ever said the season is over was when most reports coming out were hinting that Hedman was out for the season.....and IF that would've been the case, I'd still be saying the season was over because Hedman is THAT important. It's obvious.

And now with Palat being out an extended amount of time (possibly the entire season), that's even more reason to be concerned moving forward, even if he wasn't having his best season thus far.

A win tonight would be HUGE, just for the guys' morale and confidence moving forward.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am

And not trying to be a ****, but just to be clear, you have said a couple times that you're not concerned, even just a few posts up.

Alpha wrote:I never said I wasn't concerned.

Alpha wrote:
Kress wrote:They're slumping. Gotta pull out of it.

It's a long season. Not nearly concerned.

My "overreaction" regarding the Hedman injury and the season being over was just that, a momentary overreaction based purely out of fear we just lost our most valuable skater. Heck, I'm the one a couple weeks ago who said a slump was coming even before Hedman got hurt. No team can just go through an entire 82-game season without any type of slump or adversity. And with how our scheduled was coming up, I knew a slump was coming. This stretch was going to be hard without Hedman and now Palat. But now it's going to be brutal. We've just got to tread water. If we can go around .500 through all of these road games the next month, I'll take it.

Trying to find a silver lining....If Pittsburgh somehow stays as a wild card team, us dropping down to #2 in the division may be a better 1st round draw than finishing in 1st place. It would SUCK to face the Penguins in the 1st round of the playoffs. I'd rather face Toronto in the 1st round than the back-to-back defending champs.
pewterpirates

Postby Kress » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am

Other than the defense, where has our scoring gone? It seemed like Kuch scored a goal a game. And Stamkos, too. Now..... nada. We've fallen off on both ends. Point is the only one playing well.

/apocolipse thoughts

Freaking get a win tonight. We need to get our mojo back.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I think we definitely make a move or two at the deadline. If for nothing else than someone who is elite (or simply decent) at winning faceoffs. That's been a weakness all season long, even when we couldn't lose a game. We're 30th in faceoff percentage. And lately we've seen how many goals have come off losing faceoffs in our own zone. It's gotta get better. I'm not putting all the blame on faceoffs, but if we can jump from 30 to the low-mid 20's, that would be a big improvement.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Update: Palat out "at least through All-Star" break, not sure how long ... per Cooper via TBTimes_JSmith
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Update: Palat out "at least through All-Star" break, not sure how long ... per Cooper via TBTimes_JSmith

my sources are telling me 6-8 weeks
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:45 pm

Let’s go lightning !
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Update: Palat out "at least through All-Star" break, not sure how long ... per Cooper via TBTimes_JSmith

LOL! Don't go down that road. Over the years, do you have ANY idea how many of you people have come here with their alleged "sources"? :roll:

Didn't see the game tonight and no replay available.

Somethings are pretty clear:

Our offense is slumping. I THINK it's temporary. These things happen over the course of 82 games. How likely is it that Stamkos AND Uncle Kuch suddenly forgot how to score? Exactly. We do seem to have lost our mojo (as Kress alluded to). One game...relatively soon I suspect...and we'll hang a 6 spot on someone and this slump will end.

The defense is still a problem. Vasy makes 40 friggin' saves? Apparently, we're gonna ride or die with his play until Hedman comes back. Our offense finding the net again will make it easier to handle 5-4 games, I suppose.

My single biggest concern with the Hedman injury was our PP and PK. Especially the PK. From what I've read of tonight's game, we SEEM to have that part figured out. That helps immensely. Unfortunately...the downside to playing Sergachev so much is that we're gonna have to live with his mistakes. I go back to Hedman...when he first started. It took him a SOLID 3 years to really find his way.

Psyched I FINALLY get to watch a game tomorrow night. Definitely NOT psyched that we play Nashville. They are a damn good team and we have everything going against us. It would be a GREAT time for our offensive slump to end...
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 am

Alpha wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

LOL! Don't go down that road. Over the years, do you have ANY idea how many of you people have come here with their alleged "sources"? :roll:

Didn't see the game tonight and no replay available.

Somethings are pretty clear:

Our offense is slumping. I THINK it's temporary. These things happen over the course of 82 games. How likely is it that Stamkos AND Uncle Kuch suddenly forgot how to score? Exactly. We do seem to have lost our mojo (as Kress alluded to). One game...relatively soon I suspect...and we'll hang a 6 spot on someone and this slump will end.

The defense is still a problem. Vasy makes 40 friggin' saves? Apparently, we're gonna ride or die with his play until Hedman comes back. Our offense finding the net again will make it easier to handle 5-4 games, I suppose.

My single biggest concern with the Hedman injury was our PP and PK. Especially the PK. From what I've read of tonight's game, we SEEM to have that part figured out. That helps immensely. Unfortunately...the downside to playing Sergachev so much is that we're gonna have to live with his mistakes. I go back to Hedman...when he first started. It took him a SOLID 3 years to really find his way.

Psyched I FINALLY get to watch a game tomorrow night. Definitely NOT psyched that we play Nashville. They are a damn good team and we have everything going against us. It would be a GREAT time for our offensive slump to end...

Lighten up sweetheart , my sources was sport talk 620 am . In other words It was a joke .. sort of . But it was accurate
Jason Bourne

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am

Good, hard-fought win last night. Vasy looked like MVP Vasy again. But more importantly, the defense in front of him played great. They were finally getting in passing landes, selling out & giving it their all on the penalty kill. For the first time in 5 games, they really sold out & played with nonstop effort. Several diving poke checks that thwarted power plays.

Kunitz getting that shorty was huge & a heads up play. He's been a great addition, and with hedman & palat out, maybe he'll look to score a little more; he can do it. Then the blast by Gourde late to give us a cushion in the final 2 minutes, what a shot.

Definitely a much-needed win. Would be nice to at least get 1 point tonight in Nashville, where we never seem to play well. I imagine Vasy won't play tonight.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:11 am

pewterpirates wrote:Good, hard-fought win last night. Vasy looked like MVP Vasy again. But more importantly, the defense in front of him played great. They were finally getting in passing landes, selling out & giving it their all on the penalty kill. For the first time in 5 games, they really sold out & played with nonstop effort. Several diving poke checks that thwarted power plays.

Kunitz getting that shorty was huge & a heads up play. He's been a great addition, and with hedman & palat out, maybe he'll look to score a little more; he can do it. Then the blast by Gourde late to give us a cushion in the final 2 minutes, what a shot.

Definitely a much-needed win. Would be nice to at least get 1 point tonight in Nashville, where we never seem to play well. I imagine Vasy won't play tonight.

we have another break so i am thinking vasy plays
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:07 pm

Vasy kicked butt. But he he shouldn't have had to. The dude was getting peppered. He stood on his head and possibly his left hand, but Lord.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:we have another break so i am thinking vasy plays

Nope. Joe Smith just tweeted that Domingue will start tonight.

So Louis Domingue will get his second #tblightning start tonight. To clarify his status, he's on emergency recall. So his clock is when he gets to 10 games played, then he has to go on waivers to get sent back to Syracuse. Not the 30-day clock.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:15 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:we have another break so i am thinking vasy plays

So Louis Domingue will get his second #tblightning start tonight. To clarify his status, he's on emergency recall. So his clock is when he gets to 10 games played, then he has to go on waivers to get sent back to Syracuse. Not the 30-day clock.

i think vasy should of played but we will see
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Sergachev scratches from tonight’s game
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Kuni ! Let’s go lightning 1-0
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:31 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:

i think vasy should of played but we will see

Can people realize that it's not should of? It's should have. For ****'s sake. Speak English.
Kress

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports