***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Thread!**

A place to discuss MLB, NBA, and other sports.
Re: ***OFFICIAL Tampa Bay Lightning 2017-18 NHL Season Threa

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:57 pm

No need to panic bc of 1 game, you're right ... but IF this Hedman injury is serious, the season IS over.

:cussingblack: :teeth:
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm

pewterpirates wrote:No need to panic bc of 1 game, you're right ... but IF this Hedman injury is serious, the season IS over.

There is a chance he could be out awhile but no there is no need to panic ... this team has a lot of talent and we are deep on defense . We are going to the finals with or without Hedman
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 am

pewterpirates wrote:No need to panic bc of 1 game, you're right ... but IF this Hedman injury is serious, the season IS over.

LOL!

You're just ridiculous.

Go back to TD, where you're full-panic, the-sky-is-falling bullshit plays better.

Tool.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:35 am

Jason Bourne wrote:

There is a chance he could be out awhile but no there is no need to panic ... this team has a lot of talent and we are deep on defense . We are going to the finals with or without Hedman

Your first part is 100% spot-on.

There are no guarantees on the second.

The NHL playoffs are the most rigorous in professional sports. No matter how good this team is (and they are very good), one series, with a goalie playing out of his mind, can end our season. Quickly.

The fact is...Hedman is one of the best 2 or 3 defensemen in the league. We will suffer without him and not be as good. That's just a fact. The same would happen to any team in a similar predicament.

There are some interesting opportunities here:

1) Like the Stamkos injury last year that allowed Brayden Point to come into his own...maybe this gives Sustr and/or Koekkoek to develop in a similar way.

2) Depending on the severity of the injury...this MAY bring Karlsson into play for the Bolts. Ottawa WILL move him. He is a top 4 defenseman. He is more than a 6 month rental (his contract expires after NEXT year).

Trust in Yzerman. Learn it. Love it. Rinse. Repeat.

It's an NBA schedule, kids. EVERY team is gonna run off into the ditch once in a season. This team is built for success. Unlike last year, where we dug ourselves a hole we couldn't get out of...we have done the opposite this year. We could lose Hedman AND Stamkos for the next 2 months and still make the playoffs comfortably.

Let Cooper and Yzerman do what they do and above all...

Calm your tits.
Alpha

Postby Alpha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:00 am

And re-reading this only solidifies the fact that your an ass-hat that really has no idea what kind of all-around depth this team has.

You are officially the RBF of this thread.

:drinkingcheers:
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:15 am

pewterpirates wrote:Can't blame Army. Vegas used the same Golden Knights team mascot name, same color scheme and very similar logos.

They just need to be like Anaheim and drop the stupid adjective and be the Vegas Knights.
Brazen331

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:This will be the first time ive watched hockey since the lightning beat Calgary for the cup.

Any room on the bandwagon?

I was wondering what happened to the Bolts last night. Then I saw MB's post. Now I know what happened. Nuff said.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:32 am

Buc2 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:This will be the first time ive watched hockey since the lightning beat Calgary for the cup.

Any room on the bandwagon?

I was wondering what happened to the Bolts last night. Then I saw MB's post. Now I know what happened. Nuff said.

Ha ... no they are off until next Thursday so they prolly were thinking about the long break ... no worries
Jason Bourne

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:27 am

Jason Bourne wrote:

You clearly don't realize the value hedman has or all he does for this team. He IS our defense. Without him, we're lost on the back end. I may be overreacting about his injury, but you're completely dismissing the player & impact #77 is & has.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:29 am

Alpha wrote:

LOL!

You're just ridiculous.

Go back to TD, where you're full-panic, the-sky-is-falling bullshit plays better.

Tool.

Dude, wtf is your deal? I'm not allowed to be upset about arguably our best player being injured? We've dealt with enough injuries. I'm sick of it.

Asshat.
pewterpirates

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 am

Alpha wrote:

And re-reading this only solidifies the fact that your an ass-hat that really has no idea what kind of all-around depth this team has.

You are officially the RBF of this thread.

:drinkingcheers:

I know as well as anyone here what this team has. But if Hedman is done for the season, kiss goodbye our chances at the Cup. And saying "that's an overreaction" is foolish. Hedman is the 1 skater we can least afford to lose. It's like the Penguins losing Crosby or the Caps losing Ovechkin, that's how important Heddy is to what we do. We have enough depth everywhere else, but not on the blue line, barring a huge trade.

Still holding out hope we get word today he's only out a few weeks. But going off all that was said last night & the tone of the locker room, I fear the worst.
pewterpirates

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

pewterpirates wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

You clearly don't realize the value hedman has or all he does for this team. He IS our defense. Without him, we're lost on the back end. I may be overreacting about his injury, but you're completely dismissing the player & impact #77 is & has.

Nope , I clearly do recognize his importance .. the fact is there are 23 players on an active roster and 20 dressed .
We will survive . I think you are freaking out when you don’t know what it is . He could be out the rest of the season with an Acl injury OR he could be back when we play our next game 6 days from on now... we should know this afternoon .

The fact is we lost Hedman for a month in 2015 and the team still won 82 games and went to the finals .
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:56 pm

Brazen331 wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Can't blame Army. Vegas used the same Golden Knights team mascot name, same color scheme and very similar logos.

They just need to be like Anaheim and drop the stupid adjective and be the Vegas Knights.

I still like The Los Angeles Angels. Which means the the angels alngels.
Kress

Postby pewterpirates » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm

3-6 weeks, is being reported for Heddy. I'll take that. Hopefully he'll be back early March.
pewterpirates

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Hedy just wants to miss the upcoming road trip from hell the Bolts are about to embark on.

I don't blame him... lol..
DreadNaught

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:07 pm

pewterpirates wrote:3-6 weeks, is being reported for Heddy. I'll take that. Hopefully he'll be back early March.

That great news , And good timing with the all star break and the week long break right now..
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:38 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:3-6 weeks, is being reported for Heddy. I'll take that. Hopefully he'll be back early March.

That great news , And good timing with the all star break and the week long break right now..

This. If an injury was going to happen, this is perfect timing for it. And by all accounts it wasn't as bad as it looked. Great news.

Now what's up with Vasy the past few games? Just fatigue from more playing time than he's had before? We're going to need him to step back up. Hedman or not, he can singlehandedly win us games when he's on.
Kress

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 am

Kress wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:

This. If an injury was going to happen, this is perfect timing for it. And by all accounts it wasn't as bad as it looked. Great news.

Now what's up with Vasy the past few games? Just fatigue from more playing time than he's had before? We're going to need him to step back up. Hedman or not, he can singlehandedly win us games when he's on.

He has looked a little off to me as well , letting in goals he usually doesn’t
Jason Bourne

Postby Alpha » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 pm

pewterpirates wrote:but IF this Hedman injury is serious, the season IS over.

THIS is my "problem".

I was gonna take the week off from this thread but you're exactly the type of reactionary, sky-is-falling, nit-wit that permeates TD.

Just calm your tits already.

The funny thing is, this won't be the last time this year, that you start with your hysterical bs.

I know exactly how good a player Hedman is. He's a perennial Norris Trophy finalist and the best we have on D. Arguably the best in the league.

YOU need to understand that his loss isn't the END of our season. I'd argue...outside of Vasy going down for the year, there isn't a SINGLE injury that dooms this team. And even if THAT were to happen, I trust Yzerman to do what he'd need to do to give us a shot.

There are NO guarantees that this team wins the Cup...REGARDLESS of how good they are. Just because you're the best team, doesn't mean you're winning the Stanley Cup. And the Bolts ARE the best team in hockey TODAY.

Y'all need to wrap your heads around one, simple thing:

Yzerman will extend Kucherov, Point and Vasy over the next few years. Most of you have ZERO idea what kind of offensive talent we have coming up. Trust me when I tell ya...it's sick. We have forwards that are lighting up minor league hockey...and it's more than 2 or 3. From the AHL on down the line.

This team will be in the mix, competing for the Stanley Cup for the next decade. MINIMUM.

Yzerman has constructed the Red Wings from 15 years ago. Perennial contenders with the strongest minor league system in hockey. He will keep Cooper around for 10-15 years (like Bowman for the Wings).

This has been done before...just not during the salary cap era.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 am

Anybody going to the game on Thursday when the Knights come to town? There’s no stars on the team but this is a fun team to watch play. They just called up Garrison from the minors and I think he might be activated for the game. I know they would like to trade a defender or 2 for more scoring help so I’m sure Garrison is about to be showcased.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Brazen331 wrote:Anybody going to the game on Thursday when the Knights come to town? There’s no stars on the team but this is a fun team to watch play. They just called up Garrison from the minors and I think he might be activated for the game. I know they would like to trade a defender or 2 for more scoring help so I’m sure Garrison is about to be showcased.

I pray Garrison plays. He's good for giving up a couple of goals.

Best off-season move Yzerman made last year was getting rid of that albatross.
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:17 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Anybody going to the game on Thursday when the Knights come to town? There’s no stars on the team but this is a fun team to watch play. They just called up Garrison from the minors and I think he might be activated for the game. I know they would like to trade a defender or 2 for more scoring help so I’m sure Garrison is about to be showcased.

2 biggest mistakes Vegas made in the expansion draft: they could have had Yanni Goude and John Bailey on the team.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:00 am

Brazen331 wrote:
Alpha wrote:

2 biggest mistakes Vegas made in the expansion draft: they could have had Yanni Goude and John Bailey on the team.

Gourde AND Bailey are producing FAR more than anyone not named Steve Yzerman (in Gourde's case) thought they would. They are BOTH having career years.

Can't fault Vegas for not taking a flyer on these 2 guys...especially considering how well they've done with the players they DID take.

Regardless...Yzerman got them to take an overpayed, 4th liner, that we desperately needed to get rid of. If he can somehow find a team to take Coburn...that would be nice...
Alpha

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 am

Alpha wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:

Gourde AND Bailey are producing FAR more than anyone not named Steve Yzerman (in Gourde's case) thought they would. They are BOTH having career years.

Can't fault Vegas for not taking a flyer on these 2 guys...especially considering how well they've done with the players they DID take.

Regardless...Yzerman got them to take an overpayed, 4th liner, that we desperately needed to get rid of. If he can somehow find a team to take Coburn...that would be nice...

Didn’t you predict the exact score the last time these teams played? What’s it going to be this time? Vegas has dropped 2 straight but they have still been playing really good. The lost to Nashville 1-0 Tuesday but they still got off 40 shots on the best defense in the league.
Brazen331

Postby Kress » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:30 pm

Coming off the bye, Lightning blow them out. 5-2, but it isn't even that close.
Kress

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:41 pm

This was a result of Fleury just outplaying Vasy. TB pretty much sucked during the 3rd but I thought they outplayed Vegas during the 1st 2. They outshot them and dominated on face offs. But Vegas is just tough in the 3rd and OT. You can see the results of consistently rolling out those 4 lines; they just wear teams down.
Brazen331

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 am

Yeah, pretty much as I predicted. Not. The Lightning looked like they were skating in quick sand. What was that? Horrible performance. Just no effort. I don't care about Hedman. I mean, I do, but not for this **** show. Where was the speed? We just look sluggish all of a sudden.
Kress

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:00 am

Vasy has to step it up , he hasn’t played well the last few games . 19 goals the last 4 games . I know some of it is defense and giveaways but still .
Jason Bourne

Postby Kress » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

He doesn't have easy games, generally. We play aggressively, and as a result give up a lot of odd man rushes. He has to always step up and stop those things.
Kress

Postby Rocker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:23 am

I saw an offense that reminded me of what we looked like a few years ago. Passing when the shot was there, expecting teammates to make the play.
Rocker

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sports