Internet speeds

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Which is my best option?

Poll ended at Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:31 pm

Keep old box & save $10
No votes
Keep new box & pay $10 more
No votes
Stay off the Internet forever
100%

Total votes : 4

Internet speeds

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:31 pm

I currently have Comcast (no other decent options in my area). I don't have burner speeds by any stretch of the imagination (17.5 Mbps avg). My question is this... Is an additional 5 Mbps worth $10 more per month? I'm leaning towards, no. Comcast sent me a new box which I just tried out and the avg speed increase was only about 5 Mbps faster. If I keep their new box, they will charge me $10 more for it.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Internet speeds

Postby Nano » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Depends on what you want to do online, but really...no.
Nano

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:08 pm

Nano wrote:Depends on what you want to do online, but really...no.

Kinda where I'm leaning. What I had worked fine for streaming videos, which was my biggest problem with using an USB Internet device such as AT&T. Those were way too slow to watch movies. Thanks for your input.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:48 pm

I agree. I don't think you'll notice much of a difference between 17.5 and 22.5. Not enought to justify over $100/yr.
NYBF

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:42 pm

Buc2 wrote:I currently have Comcast (no other decent options in my area). I don't have burner speeds by any stretch of the imagination (17.5 Mbps avg). My question is this... Is an additional 5 Mbps worth $10 more per month? I'm leaning towards, no. Comcast sent me a new box which I just tried out and the avg speed increase was only about 5 Mbps faster. If I keep their new box, they will charge me $10 more for it.

It depends on what they sent you and what you currently have. If you currently have a docsis 2 modem and they sent you a docsis 3 then you should take that.

You are so vague its hard to even know what you actually encountered.
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:21 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I currently have Comcast (no other decent options in my area). I don't have burner speeds by any stretch of the imagination (17.5 Mbps avg). My question is this... Is an additional 5 Mbps worth $10 more per month? I'm leaning towards, no. Comcast sent me a new box which I just tried out and the avg speed increase was only about 5 Mbps faster. If I keep their new box, they will charge me $10 more for it.

It depends on what they sent you and what you currently have. If you currently have a docsis 2 modem and they sent you a docsis 3 then you should take that.

Sorry about that. It turns out I had a docsis 2 modem. I just upgraded to a docsis 3. I still didn't use their modem though. Instead, I bought my own again since theirs would cost me $10 extra a month. Having my own will pay for itself in just a few months. The new modem's speeds about the same as the model Comcast had sent me which I returned already. Slightly higher actually. But still below their advertised speed for my tier of service (25 Mbps). Considering the options I have in this area, I probably can't do much more than I've done other than purchasing a higher tier service.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby A Man's Part » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Buc2 wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:

Sorry about that. It turns out I had a docsis 2 modem. I just upgraded to a docsis 3. I still didn't use their modem though. Instead, I bought my own again since theirs would cost me $10 extra a month. Having my own will pay for itself in just a few months. The new modem's speeds about the same as the model Comcast had sent me which I returned already. Slightly higher actually. But still below their advertised speed for my tier of service (25 Mbps). Considering the options I have in this area, I probably can't do much more than I've done other than purchasing a higher tier service.

Well done.. that was the right move.

If I were you I would call to see what else they offer in your area.. chances are they can get you paying less for more speed.

Every area is different, but 100mb is pretty much considered their 'normal' package in my area.. while 50mb is their 'cheap' package here. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get on a new deal that gets you speeds like that now that you have a modem that will support it. Depending on how many bands your modem has it could go up to 170mb whereas docsis2 only supports up to like 32mb.
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:17 am

A Man's Part wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

If I were you I would call to see what else they offer in your area.. chances are they can get you paying less for more speed.

Every area is different, but 100mb is pretty much considered their 'normal' package in my area.. while 50mb is their 'cheap' package here. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get on a new deal that gets you speeds like that now that you have a modem that will support it. Depending on how many bands your modem has it could go up to 170mb whereas docsis2 only supports up to like 32mb.

There really isn't much to offer in my area. Verizon fios would probably be better than Comcast. But, while fios is available in my town, it's not in my specific neighborhood. I did decide to upgrade to their next tier of service though. For the $10 I'm saving by owning my own modem, I was able to upgrade to their "Blast" service which offers speeds up to 105 Mbps. **** be flying now!
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby A Man's Part » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Buc2 wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:

There really isn't much to offer in my area. Verizon fios would probably be better than Comcast. But, while fios is available in my town, it's not in my specific neighborhood. I did decide to upgrade to their next tier of service though. For the $10 I'm saving by owning my own modem, I was able to upgrade to their "Blast" service which offers speeds up to 105 Mbps. **** be flying now!

Yeah that's what I was saying blast is 105$ and really not that expensive. From what I understand about FIOS its expensive as ****.
A Man's Part

Return to The Nerdery