Mirroring computer to smart TV

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Mirroring computer to smart TV

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:48 am

If possible, I'd like to set up my TV so that I can watch content from my computer. Is there a way to do this? If so, can it be done wireless via wifi or would I have to run a cable between them?

Particulars:
TV - Insigna model NS-65DR620NA18 w/HDR Roku TV
Computer - Asus - Vivo AiO 23.8" Touch-Screen All-In-One
Router - Netgear Nighthawk AC1900
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Mirroring computer to smart TV

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:09 am

You should be able to do it wireless providing your TV is wifi capable

Make sure both your TV and laptop are connected to the same WiFi
Check the screen mirroring options on your TV
Use your laptop to connect via to your TV similar to how you'd connect to a bluetooth device

There are various vids on YT to help.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:03 am

Plex for content stored on your computer. Roku/Firestick for streaming.
Rocker

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

Rocker wrote:Plex for content stored on your computer. Roku/Firestick for streaming.

Rocker - What?

DN - My tv and computer are both connected to the same wifi. No wifi smorgasbord in my house. :lol:

Anyway, I'm asking all these questions because I'm getting ready to cut my Directv loose. Shits gotten ridiculously expensive. Since my local stations are currently part of my subscription, I will lose them when I cancel DTV. I'm hoping I can still watch some broadcast shows by replaying them from the network websites and mirroring/streaming them to my TV. Oh, and I'd also like to be able to stream Bucs games to my TV.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 am

Buc2 wrote:
Rocker wrote:Plex for content stored on your computer. Roku/Firestick for streaming.

Rocker - What?

DN - My tv and computer are both connected to the same wifi. No wifi smorgasbord in my house. :lol:

Anyway, I'm asking all these questions because I'm getting ready to cut my Directv loose. Shits gotten ridiculously expensive. Since my local stations are currently part of my subscription, I will lose them when I cancel DTV. I'm hoping I can still watch some broadcast shows by replaying them from the network websites and mirroring/streaming them to my TV. Oh, and I'd also like to be able to stream Bucs games to my TV.

Plex is a media server software suite for anything stored on your pc, aka pirated movies and whatnot that you can stream to console, tv or phone.

Sounds like what you want is a version of Kodi on a FireStick
Rocker

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 am

Can't you cast them? If you play a video on your phone, you should be able to hit this button-Image and cast the video to your TV. It's the easiest and most hassle-free method of doing this. It works for all of my Rokus, but I have the separate boxes. I'd imagine the TV would do the same thing. I'm not sure if you can cast from a computer, though.

As far as local/Bucs games, I'd look into an antenna. They've been talked about ad nauseam everywhere now, so you probably know. I have 3 of them now. One is about 3x3 ft., looks like a spaceship, and can be put anywhere from outside to right behind your TV. It has a 60-mile range. I have another that looks exactly like a wireless router. And the third is just a flat black plastic thing. They have 40-mile ranges. I get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, The Florida Channel, PBS and the CW on all of them. You can even get 4k quality ones now.

Found a link:
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/roku-scree ... -3575.html

EDIT: I've edited this like 5 times.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Lots of stuff for me to look into. Thanks everyone.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby deltbucs » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:46 pm

Pretty much what Deuce said with casting. If you have a chromecast you can just click that icon on your browser and it will cast to the chromecast (little HDMI dongle you connect to your TV). You can do it from your phone, too. That's what I've used in the past. I'm pretty sure there is similar functionality Fire Sticks and Roku's, like Deuce said.
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Chromecast looks promising for what I'm looking to do. Any of you have an experience with it?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Buc2 wrote:Chromecast looks promising for what I'm looking to do. Any of you have an experience with it?

I have a chromecast connected to my patio TV. It's easy to use and allows anything I can stream on my phone or tablet to be mirror/cast to that TV.

I have an outdoor HD antenna (cost like $50) that gets me like 60 channels (most importantly all 4 major networks ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC) which is connected to my 70" in the living room and the 50" in my patio. We have the Fire Cube and Fire Sticks on all the indoor TVs and I had a chromecast someone gave me for the patio TV.

I cut he cord about a year ago and never looked back. I pay about $85/mo for upgraded (300/100) internet, and $35 for a streaming package through DirectTVNow, along with Netflix and Amazon Prime. I also have have Kodi in the living room. So it's about $140-$150/mo for Cable + Internet with zero contracts or commitments.

I highly recommend an HD antenna. They are pretty small and easy to mount and operate. I pointed mine at the towers over in Riverview and haven't touched it since and had no signal disruption.

DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:42 pm

deltbucs wrote:Pretty much what Deuce said with casting. If you have a chromecast you can just click that icon on your browser and it will cast to the chromecast (little HDMI dongle you connect to your TV). You can do it from your phone, too. That's what I've used in the past. I'm pretty sure there is similar functionality Fire Sticks and Roku's, like Deuce said.

What the...this guy literally says "what Deuce said" and he gets thanked and responded to...we all know how valuable those thanks are.

Also, Buc2, your Roku should provide the same functionality as a Chromecast. Unless there's a difference between the Roku boxes and Roku TV's, which I can't imagine there is.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't want to get to fancy. I mean, most of the network programming I watch I can see online after 24 hours on the network's website. That's why I was thinking of mirroring my computer. I already have access (piggyback) to Netflix, HBO GO and Hulu (not live). Roku is built-in on my TV so there's a ton of free content to find there. I also have my own subscription to Amazon Prime. I definitely will want to get something to pick up my local broadcast stations, but haven't decided the best way to go on that yet. I have a neighbor that said I was welcome to use his, so I might talk to him to see what we can do about that.

Right now, the package I have with DTV costs about $112/month which includes HD programming and Genie DVR. Couple that with my $90 high-speed internet service, that's just too ****ing much money. The most I can save if I stayed with DTV is $17/mo if I go to the lowest subscription tier they offer. **** that! Besides, I only watch like, maybe, 15 (7 regularly) channels of the 160 they offer. Amazon Prime I'd have even if they didn't have music and video benefits, so those benefits are just gravy. So, basically, I'd be saving that entire $112/mo by dumping DTV.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Zarniwoop » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Deuce wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Pretty much what Deuce said with casting. If you have a chromecast you can just click that icon on your browser and it will cast to the chromecast (little HDMI dongle you connect to your TV). You can do it from your phone, too. That's what I've used in the past. I'm pretty sure there is similar functionality Fire Sticks and Roku's, like Deuce said.

What the...this guy literally says "what Deuce said" and he gets thanked and responded to...we all know how valuable those thanks are.

Also, Buc2, your Roku should provide the same functionality as a Chromecast. Unless there's a difference between the Roku boxes and Roku TV's, which I can't imagine there is.

I thanked every post in this thread. You are all winners in my book!!!!!!
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:52 pm

Deuce wrote:

I thanked you all [ viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4387&p=301744#p301712 ], then Delt posted right after that so I figured I should thank him too. :lol:

Yeah... I've read about Roku's feature. It's called Miracast. What I read said performance is spotty. I'll definitely check it out if I already have access to it now. I'd be crazy not to.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Buc2 wrote:I don't want to get to fancy. I mean, most of the network programming I watch I can see online after 24 hours on the network's website. That's why I was thinking of mirroring my computer. I already have access (piggyback) to Netflix, HBO GO and Hulu (not live). Roku is built-in on my TV so there's a ton of free content to find there. I also have my own subscription to Amazon Prime. I definitely will want to get something to pick up my local broadcast stations, but haven't decided the best way to go on that yet. I have a neighbor that said I was welcome to use his, so I might talk to him to see what we can do about that.

Right now, the package I have with DTV costs about $112/month which includes HD programming and Genie DVR. Couple that with my $90 high-speed internet service, that's just too ****ing much money. The most I can save if I stayed with DTV is $17/mo if I go to the lowest subscription tier they offer. **** that! Besides, I only watch like, maybe, 15 (7 regularly) channels of the 160 they offer. Amazon Prime I'd have even if they didn't have music and video benefits, so those benefits are just gravy. So, basically, I'd be saving that entire $112/mo by dumping DTV.

Cut the cord pal. I did it for my folks (who might be almost as old as you :birdiedoublered: ) and walked them through the process and now they're cord cutters also. Saved them $100/month so they can now spoil my daughter more than before.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:57 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I don't want to get to fancy. I mean, most of the network programming I watch I can see online after 24 hours on the network's website. That's why I was thinking of mirroring my computer. I already have access (piggyback) to Netflix, HBO GO and Hulu (not live). Roku is built-in on my TV so there's a ton of free content to find there. I also have my own subscription to Amazon Prime. I definitely will want to get something to pick up my local broadcast stations, but haven't decided the best way to go on that yet. I have a neighbor that said I was welcome to use his, so I might talk to him to see what we can do about that.

Cut the cord pal. I did it for my folks (who might be almost as old as you :birdiedoublered: ) and walked them through the process and now they're cord cutters also. Saved them $100/month so they can now spoil my daughter more than before.

Oh, I am. This month in fact. I have access to plenty of content even if I do nothing else.

Oh... and... :birdiedoublered: too.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:14 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I thanked you all [ http://www.buczone.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 44#p301712 ], then Delt posted right after that so I figured I should thank him too. :lol:

Yeah... I've read about Roku's feature. It's called Miracast. What I read said performance is spotty. I'll definitely check it out if I already have access to it now. I'd be crazy not to.

I found the answer to what I was saying mid-post. I have Roku and Chromecast and often forget that there's any difference between the two. Turns out, Roku has the same technology as Chromecast, but only for Netflix and Youtube. Meaning, you can actually "cast" those, not Miracast.

Cast= the Roku takes what you're watching and actually plays it itself through it's own app. Easy, never has problems, can use your phone while casting.

Miracast= the Roku mirrors your phone screen. This works, too, and can be pretty neat, BUT then you can't do other things with your phone while watching the show/movie.

Also, DN is doing cord cutting on hard mode. I pay $45 for internet and have an antenna, Hulu, and Netflix. $61 a month. My internet is 75 mbps, I think, which is enough to play online games and stream stuff at the same time. For things I can't get, which isn't that much, I use online streams. If you know anyone with a cable account, that can open a lot of doors, too.
Deuce

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I thanked you all [ viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4387&p=301744#p301712 ], then Delt posted right after that so I figured I should thank him too. :lol:

I found the answer to what I was saying mid-post. I have Roku and Chromecast and often forget that there's any difference between the two. Turns out, Roku has the same technology as Chromecast, but only for Netflix and Youtube. Meaning, you can actually "cast" those, not Miracast.

Cast= the Roku takes what you're watching and actually plays it itself through it's own app. Easy, never has problems, can use your phone while casting.

Miracast= the Roku mirrors your phone screen. This works, too, and can be pretty neat, BUT then you can't do other things with your phone while watching the show/movie.

Also, DN is doing cord cutting on hard mode. I pay $45 for internet and have an antenna, Hulu, and Netflix. $61 a month. My internet is 75 mbps, I think, which is enough to play online games and stream stuff at the same time. For things I can't get, which isn't that much, I use online streams. If you know anyone with a cable account, that can open a lot of doors, too.

What is "hard mode" about my set-up? I'm all about making my set-up easier and/or cheaper. I'm just not interested in using somebody else's cable log-in at this point in life.

There isn't $45/mo internet where I live. It's Spectrum or FioS as the options where I can pay $65/mo for 100mbps or $85/mo for 300mbps.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:51 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

What is "hard mode" about my set-up? I'm all about making my set-up easier and/or cheaper. I'm just not interested in using somebody else's cable log-in at this point in life.

There isn't $45/mo internet where I live. It's Spectrum or FioS as the options where I can pay $65/mo for 100mbps or $85/mo for 300mbps.

It just seems to me like people cut the cord to get away from prices like $140-150 a month. Like I said, I'm sitting at about $61. If someone said to me back in 2012, "you can cut the cord for $150 a month", I'd have said "no thanks."

Let's say you took the cheaper internet at $65 a month. Could you not find a decent cable package for $85 a month or so? Or even pay $100 more a month and have tons of channels, DVR, On-Demand, etc.?

Maybe I'm wrong but at your price point, I'm just not sure cutting the cord is worth it with all of the extra hassle and equipment you've ended up with.
Deuce

Postby Deuce » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:58 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Also, are you viewing anything illegal on Kodi?
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm

I have no guilt piggybacking on my daughter's Netflix, HBO GO & Hulu accts. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Deuce wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

It just seems to me like people cut the cord to get away from prices like $140-150 a month. Like I said, I'm sitting at about $61. If someone said to me back in 2012, "you can cut the cord for $150 a month", I'd have said "no thanks."

Let's say you took the cheaper internet at $65 a month. Could you not find a decent cable package for $85 a month or so? Or even pay $100 more a month and have tons of channels, DVR, On-Demand, etc.?

Maybe I'm wrong but at your price point, I'm just not sure cutting the cord is worth it with all of the extra hassle and equipment you've ended up with.

I already do have tons of channels, I get DVR capability with my DirectTVNow streaming package, and with that can access most apps for on-demand content.

I had the $65 internet package but bumped it up b/c when I was streaming I'd have issues w/ buffering at 'peak' times. I've had no issues since increasing the speed form 100 to 300.

The equipment is pretty hassle free. We both have an HD antenna (mine took about 15 minutes to mount and another 15-30 minutes to route the coax). Fire Cube/Stick and Chromecast are as easy as plugging into the TV.

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, you pay for Netflix and Hulu. Pretty similar price points.

I just added a streaming package so I'm not reliant on someone else for a cable sign-in/log-in to access apps like ESPN+, FoxSportsGo, etc... But I can also DVR shows via that streaming package. In addition if I want to add a premium channel like HBO or Showtime I can do so by adding it my DirectTVNow package which gives me access to the HBOGO or Showtime Anytime apps for on-demand content.

I realize I pay $40 for my internet than you, but I'd likely be paying that price regardless of being a cord cutter. Other than that I see the value in paying the $50-55/mo for my content vice the $16 you pay for Hulu and Netflix. I just thought you meant something different when you said I was doing the "hard" way.

I just use Kodi for movies or some historical sporting events like old school Bucs games along with old boxing and MMA fights.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pm

Buc2 wrote:I have no guilt piggybacking on my daughter's Netflix, HBO GO & Hulu accts. :lol:

No reason not to. Most people do.

My wife just wanted to be able to DVR some of her (garbage TV) shows and we found we could do it w/ a streaming package so we got one.
DreadNaught

Postby Jimmy McGill » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:47 pm

I use this for casting from my desktop to TV.

https://www.divx.com/
Jimmy McGill

Postby Deuce » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:26 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Deuce wrote:

I already do have tons of channels, I get DVR capability with my DirectTVNow streaming package, and with that can access most apps for on-demand content.

I had the $65 internet package but bumped it up b/c when I was streaming I'd have issues w/ buffering at 'peak' times. I've had no issues since increasing the speed form 100 to 300.

The equipment is pretty hassle free. We both have an HD antenna (mine took about 15 minutes to mount and another 15-30 minutes to route the coax). Fire Cube/Stick and Chromecast are as easy as plugging into the TV.

I pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime, you pay for Netflix and Hulu. Pretty similar price points.

I just added a streaming package so I'm not reliant on someone else for a cable sign-in/log-in to access apps like ESPN+, FoxSportsGo, etc... But I can also DVR shows via that streaming package. In addition if I want to add a premium channel like HBO or Showtime I can do so by adding it my DirectTVNow package which gives me access to the HBOGO or Showtime Anytime apps for on-demand content.

I realize I pay $40 for my internet than you, but I'd likely be paying that price regardless of being a cord cutter. Other than that I see the value in paying the $50-55/mo for my content vice the $16 you pay for Hulu and Netflix. I just thought you meant something different when you said I was doing the "hard" way.

I just use Kodi for movies or some historical sporting events like old school Bucs games along with old boxing and MMA fights.

My bad. But yeah, I was just meaning the cost and amount of services. Originally, I was going to say equipment, too. But then I realized, I have an Xbox, 2 Rokus, a Chromecast, and 3 antennas.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:13 am

Jimmy McGill wrote:I use this for casting from my desktop to TV.

https://www.divx.com/

Thanks, but I'll pass on this one. Too many bad reviews. Plus, it appears it will only cast your videos. Meaning I'd have to be able to, first, record and save a video onto my computer before I could "cast" it to my TV. I need it to mirror my computer and cast whatever images/videos that are playing on my computer from a 3rd party website in real time.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Okay... cutting the cord has been put on hold for at least another 12 months.

Just got off the phone with DTV's retention dept. Right off the bat the rep was willing to knock off $60 from my bill if I stayed. That was $15 more than they knocked off last year when I called to cancel. On top of that, I dropped down to the next lower package (their lowest in fact) and saved another $17, plus an additional $5 for going to auto-pay. My monthly bill will now be $32/mo (net) with no commitment verses $114/mo I was paying when the last appreciation discount expired in June.

By going to the lower package, I do lose 2 channels that I watch, though...NFLN (rarely) and Sci Channel (a lot). I'll miss Sci Channel more by far. I'm still going to set up mirroring, so I'll be able to get Sci Channel stuff online and throw it onto my TV screen.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Sounds like the process I am moving to.

I have been looking at this product alot:

https://www.cablestogo.com/product/29329/wireless-a-v-for-hdmi-devices-taa-compliant

But my ultimate plan is to cut from DTV by:

Getting spectrum tv choice bundle or going antenna only.

Spectrum bundle is not advertised much but it allows you to select 10 channels, and includes all of the local channels as well. You can add the premium channels for 3 dollars each.

https://www.spectrum.com/choice.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/nation-now/2018/03/30/spectrum-wants-you-back-cut-rate-internet-tv-package-targets-cord-cutters/473233002/

If I decided to cut cable completely because I run my own plex server, I would add an antenna and purchase a HDHOME RUN in conjunction with the antenna so that it will display all antenna content through my plex app. The HDHOME RUN would also act as a dvr server for any local tv I would want to record. I have family members that still use cable so I would go through them for the different apps to stream from.
BucaRican

Postby BucaRican » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Buc2 wrote:I have no guilt piggybacking on my daughter's Netflix, HBO GO & Hulu accts. :lol:

You may want to look at you cell phone provider to assist in one of those, I have t-mobile and they pay for my Netflix account. My buddy has sprint and they pay for HULU, and I think ATT does the HBO go. I know HULU shows live tv but I do not know if its in the package sprint gives to customers.
BucaRican

Postby Buc2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:51 pm

BucaRican wrote:

You may want to look at you cell phone provider to assist in one of those, I have t-mobile and they pay for my Netflix account. My buddy has sprint and they pay for HULU, and I think ATT does the HBO go. I know HULU shows live tv but I do not know if its in the package sprint gives to customers.

Verizon doesn't do ****. Fios, but Fios isn't in my area. Probably never will be.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to The Nerdery