Xbox or PS?

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Xbox or PS?

Postby Buc2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 pm

So I'm planning on buying a new TV soon. Probably when the after Xmas dumpster sales heat up in February or so. I'm thinking some sort of 4K 55" job. I haven't started the research yet. Anyway, I'm also going to buy a new game console. I currently own an Xbox 360 which, of course, is useless if I want to play anything newer than 2 years ago. I realize that if I stay with Xbox, I can still play old 360 games, but that really isn't that important to me. I usually trade my games in for new ones once I've played them, so I really won't have a need to play older Xbox games. Meaning, I'm not married to Xbox.

So what do you guys recommend and why?

XBox S
XBox X
PS 4 Slim
PS 4 Pro

Also, anything I should be particularly aware of when purchasing the TV to ensure a good gaming experience?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Xbox or PS?

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:27 pm

If you plan on streaming/cord cutting I'd recommend the PS4.
DreadNaught

Postby Rocker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 pm

If you want 4K gaming, you’ll have to go with the One X or Pro.

Personally, I think PS has a stronger exclusive title lineup; but I don’t know what sort of games you enjoy.

Make sure your TV has 120H refresh, although that shouldn’t be a big deal these days. Multiple HDMI ports are always a plus, especially since you’re going to be cord cutting soon.
Rocker

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 pm

DreadNaught wrote:If you plan on streaming/cord cutting I'd recommend the PS4.

Why is that?
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:29 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Why is that?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Buc2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:30 am

Rocker wrote:If you want 4K gaming, you’ll have to go with the One X or Pro.

Personally, I think PS has a stronger exclusive title lineup; but I don’t know what sort of games you enjoy.

Make sure your TV has 120H refresh, although that shouldn’t be a big deal these days. Multiple HDMI ports are always a plus, especially since you’re going to be cord cutting soon.

I mostly play RPG's. Assassin's Creed, Dragon Age, Skyrim, and the such. GTA is another series I enjoy. Not much into the shooter games.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:09 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Why is that?

PS4 has a streaming service and I believe it's pretty good.. makes me jealous and I love xbox.

the best xbox value is probably the xbox S, if you're getting a xbox X, then you HAVE to get a 4k tv, or else it's pointless.
Noles1724

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Why is that?

PS4 has a streaming service and I believe it's pretty good.. makes me jealous and I love xbox.

the best xbox value is probably the xbox S, if you're getting a xbox X, then you HAVE to get a 4k tv, or else it's pointless.

You’re talking about PlayStation Vue? I’ve never looked into it and I own a PS4. I’ll check it out.

Edit: I didn’t win a PS4 lol. Damn autocorrect.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:03 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

You’re talking about PlayStation Vue? I’ve never looked into it and I won a PS4. I’ll check it out.

Yes. For the cost and channels it's really one of the more attractive cord cutting options imo.

I've convinced my wife to allow a PS4 to be added Santa's list. :D

But one of these would be really cool...

DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 pm

I've been out of the video game discussion for years, I think the last system I owned was...Gamecube? I played a friend's 360 in college.

Started playing Skyrim on a 360 a friend gave me a few months ago, then played Madden and Rocket League on One S with some friends last month. On Black Friday, I got a One S from Kohl's for $189, a controller for $39 and $60 back in Kohl's cash.

I freaking love the One S. I'm not really much of a gamer, I play Rocket League, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Lego games (with the gf). The fact that I can use it for Netflix, Hulu, and the NFL app are awesome. Setting up fantasy notifications is pretty sweet, too.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Deuce wrote:I've been out of the video game discussion for years, I think the last system I owned was...Gamecube? I played a friend's 360 in college.

Started playing Skyrim on a 360 a friend gave me a few months ago, then played Madden and Rocket League on One S with some friends last month. On Black Friday, I got a One S from Kohl's for $189, a controller for $39 and $60 back in Kohl's cash.

I freaking love the One S. I'm not really much of a gamer, I play Rocket League, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Lego games (with the gf). The fact that I can use it for Netflix, Hulu, and the NFL app are awesome. Setting up fantasy notifications is pretty sweet, too.

I'm not a dedicated gamer either, so I really appreciate your feedback.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Noles1724 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:24 pm

Deuce wrote:I've been out of the video game discussion for years, I think the last system I owned was...Gamecube? I played a friend's 360 in college.

hey send me your GT.. I'm a Rocket League Addict and have been looking for someone to team up with to move up in rankings.
Noles1724

Return to The Nerdery