Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping...

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
post

Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping...

Postby Rocker » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:42 pm

This applies to both PCs and mobile devices:

Uninstall a program called Visual Discovery or Superfish.

Navigate to your trusted certificates and delete the one call Superfish.

If you use Mozilla (Firefox, Thunderbird) products, you'll need to clean out the bogus certificate in each software product as well.

Basically this wonderful little shitsicle software leaves you wide open to HTTPS spoofs and TSL attacks by self-signing root certificates.

Don't ask me for a link, do your own research.
Image
User avatar
Rocker
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:23 am
Location: Valrico
Has thanked: 161 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby UbuntuBuc » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:22 pm

Easy to solve the issue... just reinstall the OS w/o the bloatware.

Or, in my case, I just install Ubuntu.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby A Man's Part » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:39 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:Easy to solve the issue... just reinstall the OS w/o the bloatware.

Or, in my case, I just install Ubuntu.
User avatar
A Man's Part
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:07 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:Easy to solve the issue... just reinstall the OS w/o the bloatware.

Or, in my case, I just install Ubuntu.

Again? Lol that's your answer to anything PC related.
User avatar
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3042
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:Easy to solve the issue... just reinstall the OS w/o the bloatware.

Or, in my case, I just install Ubuntu.

Again? Lol that's your answer to anything PC related.


I tend to use Ubuntu, but I also use Windows 2008, 2008r2, 20012, 2012r2, Fedora, CentOS, Redhat and OS X.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby A Man's Part » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:24 pm

And to be fair.. Reinstalling the OS without bloatware is a good step.

I do that with any PC I buy very first.
User avatar
A Man's Part
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:37 pm

A Man's Part wrote:And to be fair.. Reinstalling the OS without bloatware is a good step.

I do that with any PC I buy very first.



Exactly. I would never go with what a vendor shipped to me. They load way to much bloat.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby The Outsider » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 pm

I just build my own machines because **** all of that bullshit. Oh, and it's cheaper, too.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:33 pm

The Outsider wrote:I just build my own machines because **** all of that bullshit. Oh, and it's cheaper, too.


Desktops - agreed. Never built my own laptops though. The whitebox stuff always appeared to be carp.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:40 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:I just build my own machines because **** all of that bullshit. Oh, and it's cheaper, too.


Desktops - agreed. Never built my own laptops though. The whitebox stuff always appeared to be carp.


Agreed. With that said. I prefer desktops/servers.
User avatar
A Man's Part
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:42 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:I just build my own machines because **** all of that bullshit. Oh, and it's cheaper, too.


Desktops - agreed. Never built my own laptops though. The whitebox stuff always appeared to be carp.


Ah, laptops. Yeah, I don't build my own laptops, but I hardly use my old HP laptop as it is.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:26 am

The Outsider wrote:
Ah, laptops. Yeah, I don't build my own laptops, but I hardly use my old HP laptop as it is.


Going to IT related events, servicing customers, etc force me to have a laptop. I don't game anymore so that makes it a bit easier. Current rig is a Lenovo T530 with an Intel i7-3720QM, 16GiB of ram and a 250GiB Samsung 840 EVO. I am debating building a small fanless micro desktop to use as a server and segmenting my internal network with a DMZ and second firewall.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Have a Lenovo computer? May want to do some housekeeping

Postby The Outsider » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:50 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:
The Outsider wrote:
Ah, laptops. Yeah, I don't build my own laptops, but I hardly use my old HP laptop as it is.


Going to IT related events, servicing customers, etc force me to have a laptop. I don't game anymore so that makes it a bit easier. Current rig is a Lenovo T530 with an Intel i7-3720QM, 16GiB of ram and a 250GiB Samsung 840 EVO. I am debating building a small fanless micro desktop to use as a server and segmenting my internal network with a DMZ and second firewall.



That's a pretty nice laptop. My HP is a AMD Quad Core APU (GPU and CPU are integrated), has 6 GB of RAM and a 500 GB HDD. It was a pretty damn good find 4 years ago at just under 600 dollars.

My desktop is a AMD 8-core 4GHz, 16GB of RAM, 160GB SSD/3 1TB HDD, and a MSI Lightning Radeon R9 290x 4GB GPU. Mobo is a mid range GIgabyte and the PSU is an EVGA 1000w. I love that machine.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 2047
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 160 times


post

Return to The Nerdery

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest