Spreadsheets

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Spreadsheets

Postby mdb1958 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 am

Who is the spreadsheet guru in Buczone?

I know nothing on them. I know you can lock them and password protect them - blah blah.

In the combine thread I borrowed a spreadsheet and I am pretty sure you can go into the columns and enable them to go alphabetical or numerical if you click on them if you give them that feature - Right?

Anyways in this "pride of Detroit spreadsheet" if its locked they would have to do that on their end - Right?

Anywho's this guy did such a wonderful job on this spreadsheet but I wish He would have added this feature to the columns.
mdb1958

Re: Spreadsheets

Postby RedLeader » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:40 am

If we're talking Excel, you should be able to click 'data' tab up top, and then click 'sort'....

You'll also probably have better luck googling your question first...
RedLeader

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:49 am

mdb1958 wrote:Who is the spreadsheet guru in Buczone?

I know nothing on them. I know you can lock them and password protect them - blah blah.

In the combine thread I borrowed a spreadsheet and I am pretty sure you can go into the columns and enable them to go alphabetical or numerical if you click on them if you give them that feature - Right?

Anyways in this "pride of Detroit spreadsheet" if its locked they would have to do that on their end - Right?

Anywho's this guy did such a wonderful job on this spreadsheet but I wish He would have added this feature to the columns.

I know Excel very well, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to do.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Nano » Mon May 01, 2017 11:53 am

mdb translation: How do you enable the sorting feature in Google Docs if the author disabled it?

Or something close
Nano

Postby Zarniwoop » Mon May 01, 2017 2:26 pm

Nano wrote:mdb translation: How do you enable the sorting feature in Google Docs if the author disabled it?

Or something close

That's what the question seems like to me ... how do you edit a read only sheet
Zarniwoop

Postby Buc2 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Zarniwoop wrote:
Nano wrote:mdb translation: How do you enable the sorting feature in Google Docs if the author disabled it?

Or something close

And the answer is.............. You don't.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:22 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Zarniwoop wrote:

And the answer is.............. You don't.

Then I'm going to have to have you contact the author so he can make changes to his spreadsheet.

First request - make the last names alphabetical not the first names
2nd request - make the columns where you can click on them to show the fastest, tallest, arm length, etc... In numerical order.

If you have not seen the spreadsheet its in the combine thread on the last post.

My boss used to show off and pretend like he was showing me how to do things with spread sheets

BUT

All he was doing was showing off how fast he was.
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:And the answer is.............. You don't.

Then I'm going to have to have you contact the author so he can make changes to his spreadsheet.

2nd request - make the columns where you can click on them to show the fastest, tallest, arm length, etc... In numerical order.

If you have not seen the spreadsheet its in the combine thread on the last post.

My boss used to show off and pretend like he was showing me how to do things with spread sheets

BUT

1 - you're not going to be able to sort by last name. The names are entered in 1 cell. In order to sort by last name, you'd have to have the names in separate cells.

2 - You can probably do this yourself. If you click on File, then Make A Copy. This will give you your own copy of the spreadsheet to do whatever you want with. You should then be able to click in each individual column and sort however you'd like.

Edit - you don't even need your own copy. You can do it right in there. Click the column you want to sort, click Data, "Sort Sheet by Column X A->Z"
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 pm

NYBF wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:

BUT

1 - you're not going to be able to sort by last name. The names are entered in 1 cell. In order to sort by last name, you'd have to have the names in separate cells.

2 - You can probably do this yourself. If you click on File, then Make A Copy. This will give you your own copy of the spreadsheet to do whatever you want with. You should then be able to click in each individual column and sort however you'd like.

Actually, in Excel, you can separate text from 1 cell into 2 cells by using the Text to Columns Wizard. Conversely, you can combine the text from 2 or more cells into one cell.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Actually, in Excel, you can separate text from 1 cell into 2 cells by using the Text to Columns Wizard. Conversely, you can combine the text from 2 or more cells into one cell.

I had no idea. Thanks for the tip. Seems like Google Docs has the same feature, "Split text to columns". It's grayed out on that sheet. But that might be because it's read only. Might be able to do it if he made himself his own copy.
NYBF

Postby mdb1958 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:33 pm

What is it that CBSSports uses for their draft prospects? You can click on all those headers and change the page.
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Tue May 02, 2017 7:20 pm

mdb1958 wrote:What is it that CBSSports uses for their draft prospects? You can click on all those headers and change the page.

You can click on the headers there and sort. Maybe it takes 2 clicks instead of one. They use a website with code embedded.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:33 pm

NYBF wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Actually, in Excel, you can separate text from 1 cell into 2 cells by using the Text to Columns Wizard. Conversely, you can combine the text from 2 or more cells into one cell.

I had no idea. Thanks for the tip. Seems like Google Docs has the same feature, "Split text to columns". It's grayed out on that sheet. But that might be because it's read only. Might be able to do it if he made himself his own copy.

Yeah...if it's a read only file, you can't do anything with the data without saving it as your own file first. However, what mdb is talking about cannot be done with those CBS Sports sheets. Those are embedded in the webpage and cannot be extracted except as text, html or a screen print.

Here's an example of one of their, so-called, spreadsheets that I think he's talking about:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/pros ... s/2017/all

Now, he could copy that data in html format be selecting the text and pasting it directly into an Excel worksheet. It will even keep the hyperlinks that are embedded on the webpage, so if you click on the players name in the Excel spreadsheet, it will jump to the embedded link if you have an Internet connection. Anyway, from there, he could do all the worksheet functions I was talking about above, i.e., split the names into 2 columns (1 for first name and 1 for last name). That would be a lot of work, though, because he'd have to copy/paste every page of which there are 40 pages in the link I posted above.

I copied/pasted the 1st page of data from that website spreadsheet and separated the first/last names into separate columns using the Text to Columns Wizard. Here's what it looks like:

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Buc2, you can click on all of the CBS draft prospect stuff. If you click on height it shows the tallest to the shortest and if you click twice, its shortest to the tallest.

You can put all of the colleges in alphabetical order. What ever header you click on can be put in order. There was some time where these functions didnt work for a while (if anyone remembers me complaining). I think they didnt prepare for chrome and edge.

Now when 2018 clicks in they will drop all the stuff except the forty and as we all know it will be way off base till the draft season updates.

Anyways, with the spreadsheets and using them with prospects I thought those features would be nice to have. Click on them and put them in numerical order. Alphabetical is nice to see who all is coming out from the same college. Or, to link all the positions together.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:18 pm

```
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Wed May 03, 2017 7:53 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Buc2, you can click on all of the CBS draft prospect stuff. If you click on height it shows the tallest to the shortest and if you click twice, its shortest to the tallest.

You can put all of the colleges in alphabetical order. What ever header you click on can be put in order. There was some time where these functions didnt work for a while (if anyone remembers me complaining). I think they didnt prepare for chrome and edge.

Now when 2018 clicks in they will drop all the stuff except the forty and as we all know it will be way off base till the draft season updates.

Anyways, with the spreadsheets and using them with prospects I thought those features would be nice to have. Click on them and put them in numerical order. Alphabetical is nice to see who all is coming out from the same college. Or, to link all the positions together.

You can do all that on the spreadsheet I linked.
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:10 am

NYBF wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Buc2, you can click on all of the CBS draft prospect stuff. If you click on height it shows the tallest to the shortest and if you click twice, its shortest to the tallest.

Correct. It's called, Sort. :lol: Excel has buttons that will do an A-Z (descending) sort or a Z-A (ascending) sort. You can even sort based on cell or font colors if your data has colored cells/fonts. Place the cursor on the column heading and click the A-Z or Z-A button and VOILA!

Basically, mdb really should do some reading up on spreadsheets and how to use them instead of bitching that they can't do what CBS Sports does on their website because they surely can.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:53 am

Buc2 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Correct. It's called, Sort. :lol: Excel has buttons that will do an A-Z (descending) sort or a Z-A (ascending) sort. You can even sort based on cell or font colors if your data has colored cells/fonts. Place the cursor on the column heading and click the A-Z or Z-A button and VOILA!

Basically, mdb really should do some reading up on spreadsheets and how to use them instead of bitching that they can't do what CBS Sports does on their website because they surely can.

Ahh, but Mustafa can you have it stay like that. For instance. I want to look at all the cornerbacks (so I do the AtoZ thing, now I want to see their fortys in numerical order --- guess what -- the cornerbacks are no longer lined up.
mdb1958

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Correct. It's called, Sort. :lol: Excel has buttons that will do an A-Z (descending) sort or a Z-A (ascending) sort. You can even sort based on cell or font colors if your data has colored cells/fonts. Place the cursor on the column heading and click the A-Z or Z-A button and VOILA!

Ahh, but Mustafa can you have it stay like that. For instance. I want to look at all the cornerbacks (so I do the AtoZ thing, now I want to see their fortys in numerical order --- guess what -- the cornerbacks are no longer lined up.

Yes... You can sort on multiple columns. You can even sort one column A-Z and another column Z-A.

For example, you could sort your data by position and the players last name at the same time...

Or reverse the positions so that WR's are on top...

You just need a good spreadsheet program that has these features.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby lachisbackisback » Mon May 08, 2017 8:43 pm

I didn't read the thread at all, but I love that the thread showing on the main page for the Nerdery is titled Spreadsheets. Please ensure it stays at the top, whoever posts in here. It's too perfect.
lachisbackisback

Postby Rocker » Sun May 14, 2017 9:12 am

lachisbackisback wrote:I didn't read the thread at all, but I love that the thread showing on the main page for the Nerdery is titled Spreadsheets. Please ensure it stays at the top, whoever posts in here. It's too perfect.
Rocker

Postby lachisbackisback » Tue May 23, 2017 12:57 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:I didn't read the thread at all, but I love that the thread showing on the main page for the Nerdery is titled Spreadsheets. Please ensure it stays at the top, whoever posts in here. It's too perfect.
lachisbackisback

Postby Brazen331 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 pm

lachisbackisback wrote:

My advice to you mdb would be to take advantage of Lach's interest and PM all your future spreadsheet inquiries directly to him.
Brazen331

Postby Buc2 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am

I'm obviously missing something here because I still don't get what Lachy is even talking about.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby A Man's Part » Wed May 24, 2017 11:51 pm

Buc2 wrote:I'm obviously missing something here because I still don't get what Lachy is even talking about.

Really?

He's saying spreadsheets are the epitome of nerdery.
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:00 am

A Man's Part wrote:
Buc2 wrote:I'm obviously missing something here because I still don't get what Lachy is even talking about.

Really?

He's saying spreadsheets are the epitome of nerdery.

Considering the business world (especially accounting) are heavy spreadsheet users, I totally disagree with that sentiment.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby lachisbackisback » Thu May 25, 2017 12:01 pm

I assume you're doing a bit here. But I'm going to choose to think you're being genuine no matter what you say from here on out, because the thought of an accountant who thinks spreadsheets sure are neat because accounting is indubitably hip is fantastic.
lachisbackisback

Postby Buc2 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:25 pm

8-)
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Rocker » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 am

Rocker wrote:

We have rules, people!
Rocker

Postby Brazen331 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:09 am

mdb1958 wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Correct. It's called, Sort. :lol: Excel has buttons that will do an A-Z (descending) sort or a Z-A (ascending) sort. You can even sort based on cell or font colors if your data has colored cells/fonts. Place the cursor on the column heading and click the A-Z or Z-A button and VOILA!

Since we are keeping this at the top, can you give us an update, mdb? Were you able to get the cornerbacks lined back up?
Brazen331

Next

Return to The Nerdery