buying a new smartphone

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
buying a new smartphone

Postby terrytate » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:26 am

Long story short, my current phone was probably built by Fred Flintstone and that fact has become intolerable. I want to buy one of the shiny new superphones and am curious what the community here thinks the stuff on the market atm. Since I think that Apple is a bunch of communist hippies and it seems that Windows phones have no apps, I am looking at Android stuff. I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6, Note 4, and the HRC one M8. Anything I should look out for in particular? Any opinion will likely be helpful.
terrytate

Re: buying a new smartphone

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:35 am

Can't go wrong with any of those options.

Please also consider the LG G Flex 2. Its supposed to be pretty great.
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:57 am

I currently have the Note 3 and love it. If I were to trade it in today, it would most likely be for the Note 4. My daughter is an iPhone enthusiast and currently has has the iPhone 6+. She also works in the industry and would tell you that you couldn't go wrong with either. She would tell you, however, to stay away from the Windows platforms.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:48 pm

I like the Nexus 6 for the features, etc. You may also want to look at the Moto X as well.
UbuntuBuc

Postby terrytate » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:06 pm

I looked into a Windows 8 phone first. They look to be great phones except that there are no apps for them.
terrytate

Postby A Man's Part » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:10 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:You may also want to look at the Moto X as well.

Yeah, if you're a girl.
A Man's Part

Postby UbuntuBuc » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:16 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:You may also want to look at the Moto X as well.

Yeah, if you're a girl.

Why would the Moto X only be for girls?
UbuntuBuc

Postby BucJordan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:35 pm

terrytate wrote:Long story short, my current phone was probably built by Fred Flintstone and that fact has become intolerable. I want to buy one of the shiny new superphones and am curious what the community here thinks the stuff on the market atm. Since I think that Apple is a bunch of communist hippies and it seems that Windows phones have no apps, I am looking at Android stuff. I am trying to decide between the Nexus 6, Note 4, and the HRC one M8. Anything I should look out for in particular? Any opinion will likely be helpful.

I can't comment on the above models except that for me, the Notes are a little too big for my taste, despite the great features.

I have the Galaxy S5 and love it. Great speed, great features, and the fact that I don't have to worry about getting it wet is a major plus for my lifestyle, especially considering how often it rains here in Florida. However, I haven't really been paying attention to the competitors lately since I won't be looking for a new phone for at least another year, so there may be something out there now that is just as good or better.
BucJordan

Postby terrytate » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:01 am

I bought that Nexus 6. I can not reiterate enough how terrible my old phone was. It feels like I just upgraded from a 79 Ford Pinto to the Starship Enterprise.
terrytate

Postby A Man's Part » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:46 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:
A Man's Part wrote:

Yeah, if you're a girl.

Inferior specs, inferior design, but hey it comes in alot of colors. Who else is that designed for? Apple users?
A Man's Part

Postby A Man's Part » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm

terrytate wrote:I bought that Nexus 6. I can not reiterate enough how terrible my old phone was. It feels like I just upgraded from a 79 Ford Pinto to the Starship Enterprise.

Can't go wrong there. The nexi are great phones.
A Man's Part

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:14 pm

A Man's Part wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:

Inferior specs, inferior design, but hey it comes in alot of colors. Who else is that designed for? Apple users?

Lower cost too. I thought it had decent system specs for the cost. If you have to have the top spec phone it is not for you though.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Heidguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:51 am

Odd question, heard of these Chinese model phones there selling on amazon and checked some of those out yesterday, was wondering what some of you smart guys feedback was on those. Looked up all kinds of reviews but I'm not sure how well they work in US. I'm currently with Verizon prepaid but I already know those phones won't work on Verizon's cdma network, so next question would be, do any of you know of a US prepaid service those may work on? Thanks in advance Nerds!
Heidguy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:08 am

Heidguy wrote:Odd question, heard of these Chinese model phones there selling on amazon and checked some of those out yesterday, was wondering what some of you smart guys feedback was on those. Looked up all kinds of reviews but I'm not sure how well they work in US. I'm currently with Verizon prepaid but I already know those phones won't work on Verizon's cdma network, so next question would be, do any of you know of a US prepaid service those may work on? Thanks in advance Nerds!

I have the same question. I think I've done the flip phone from Tracfone long enough. For some reason, I distrust straight talk as a service.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Heidguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Oddly enough, in my area, being Auburn al. I haven't heard anyone complain about the service of straight talk. My issue with most prepaid service providers is that how far does there service reach without an issue. I've traveled to south Carolina and back with my Verizon prepaid 3G service and it was flawless, I don't see straight talk or page plus matching that, which is why I'm really iffy about switching to any of those services myself.
Heidguy

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:53 pm

Heidguy wrote:Oddly enough, in my area, being Auburn al. I haven't heard anyone complain about the service of straight talk. My issue with most prepaid service providers is that how far does there service reach without an issue. I've traveled to south Carolina and back with my Verizon prepaid 3G service and it was flawless, I don't see straight talk or page plus matching that, which is why I'm really iffy about switching to any of those services myself.

Up here it is considered a foregone conclusion that Verizon by far has the best service in terms of signal, but the also happen to be the devil and charge a premium for their ****.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Shadowhawk » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:22 pm

I have switched to Cricket wireless who uses at&t's towers. So far I haven't found a spot that doesn't have service.

The downside is speed caps at 8Mbps. But compared to Sprint 8 is fast as hell.
Shadowhawk

Postby Heidguy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:14 pm

MB know all about Verizon being the devil, I work for them lol.
Heidguy

Postby Heidguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:17 am

I'd like to point out that my initial question was never answered, being a former jock I know exactly what to do with nerdy guys! Don't make me do it to you fellas!! I want answers or people will end up upside down in trash cans and have there underwear pulled up to there ear holes!
Heidguy

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Heidguy wrote:Odd question, heard of these Chinese model phones there selling on amazon and checked some of those out yesterday, was wondering what some of you smart guys feedback was on those. Looked up all kinds of reviews but I'm not sure how well they work in US. I'm currently with Verizon prepaid but I already know those phones won't work on Verizon's cdma network, so next question would be, do any of you know of a US prepaid service those may work on? Thanks in advance Nerds!

I bought a OnePlus One roughly 2 months ago. This far it's the best phone I've owned. The specs are great and the cost is even better ($350).
PrimeMinister

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm

First you need to pick a carrier. Then you need to compare whether they support the same bands that those Chinese phones do.

This is not standard between countries.
A Man's Part

Return to The Nerdery