Turning off iMessages

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Turning off iMessages

Postby The Bad Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Alright here's my situation. I'm switching to the Note4 later this week. I've heard the nightmarish stories of friends who wouldn't get messages for weeks from friends because they didn't turn off iMessage before they switched. I've planned ahead. I switched off iMessage yesterday, deregistered my number from iMessage using Apple's new tool and everything works for the most part. If someone deletes our threaded conversation and sends a new message, I get them no problem. The issue seems to lie within a group message. In 3 people groups, I've figured out how to get everyone's messages coming through. However, on a group message with 3 other people, I'm running in to issue. I receive 2 people's messages, but when the third person texts, it resets one of the other person's texts back to iMessage.

Long story short: Has anyone switched from iPhone to Android and gotten a seamless messaging transition?
The Bad Guy

Re: Turning off iMessages

Postby A Man's Part » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:33 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:Alright here's my situation. I'm switching to the Note4 later this week. I've heard the nightmarish stories of friends who wouldn't get messages for weeks from friends because they didn't turn off iMessage before they switched. I've planned ahead. I switched off iMessage yesterday, deregistered my number from iMessage using Apple's new tool and everything works for the most part. If someone deletes our threaded conversation and sends a new message, I get them no problem. The issue seems to lie within a group message. In 3 people groups, I've figured out how to get everyone's messages coming through. However, on a group message with 3 other people, I'm running in to issue. I receive 2 people's messages, but when the third person texts, it resets one of the other person's texts back to iMessage.

Long story short: Has anyone switched from iPhone to Android and gotten a seamless messaging transition?

Yes.. But I don't use group messaging.
A Man's Part

Postby The Bad Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:27 pm

It's been a pain in the ass and I haven't even switched phones yet.
The Bad Guy

Postby A Man's Part » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:53 pm

I wonder if that could be affecting it.

Whne you group message its an MMS rather than a SMS anyways. Maybe even if IOS has a configurable setting to prefer imessaging over SMS, but not over MMS. Maybe its just set to always imessage over MMS and you'll be fine when you switch because your new phone will handle MMS differently.

Of course, I don't know if you're implying that the group conversation alters an individual setting for the users involved resulting in your SMS being replaced with imessage in a 1:1 conversation. If so what I said above is invalid.
A Man's Part

Postby The Bad Guy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:09 am

Not sure what the exact issue was. Ended up having everyone delete the thread and I sent the first message and it seemed to work. Apple definitely makes it a hassle to switch away from iPhone. So far loving the Samsung Now 4. Happy with the switch.
The Bad Guy

Postby eckrueger » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:41 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:Apple definitely makes it a hassle to switch away from iPhone.

Only reason I probably won't switch. I don't want a 6 or whatever is out when I'm due, but everything is already linked with itunes.

Plus i get tired of their "upgrade" BS. Oh look, it is a little bigger, a little better resolution, a little faster, a little better camera, and has a couple other largely irrelevant features! How great is it!
eckrueger

Return to The Nerdery