NAS Storage

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
NAS Storage

Postby uscbucsfan » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:31 pm

I have been thinking about purchasing an at home NAS storage system. Nothing special, something with 2 bays so that I can use RAID 1. I want it to be fast enough to stream, back up computers, send pictures to from phones/other computers.

I was thinking about the QNAP TS-251 because of the processor and HDMI out(could come in handy). I looked into the My Cloud Mirror, but I don't like the speed or the inability to connect a device directly to it and back it up. I'd like to stay under 200 for the actual device(not including hard drives). That eliminates most 4 bay systems.

Also, I wanted to know what the best hard drives were for NAS. I know the Seagate NAS and WD Red is made for that type of constant running, but wondering if anyone had additional expertise.

Basically...Is it worth getting a home NAS, should I go old school and use an external HD, what is are the best Hard drives?

Thanks.
uscbucsfan

Re: NAS Storage

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:51 am

I'd avoid Seagate drives like the plague. Their failure rates are just awful. In a Raid 1 format you're compromising space for mirroring. The biggest downside is if you lose a drive, you'll lose functionality unless you un-stripe the failed drive. In that situation, drive failures is your top concern vs read/write speed. Look up the reported failure rates of the drives you're interested in. Seagate reaches 36% on some models. Cat 6 wire to your router instead of wireless and you won't have to worry about buffering that movie you want to stream from it.
bucfanclw

Postby A Man's Part » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:06 am

bucfanclw wrote:I'd avoid Seagate drives like the plague. Their failure rates are just awful. In a Raid 1 format you're compromising space for mirroring. The biggest downside is if you lose a drive, you'll lose functionality unless you un-stripe the failed drive. In that situation, drive failures is your top concern vs read/write speed. Look up the reported failure rates of the drives you're interested in. Seagate reaches 36% on some models. Cat 6 wire to your router instead of wireless and you won't have to worry about buffering that movie you want to stream from it.

I gotta agree with whats been said here.

The cost of initial investment is higher.. But I'd get something that holds more drives and go with raid 5 or 6 myself.
A Man's Part

Postby The Outsider » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:30 pm

Yeah, I'll third what was said about Seagate. Western Digital has always done me right for HDDs. As for SSDs I have limited experience, but the only one I've owned is still working perfect after almost 4 years. It's an OCZ I think.
The Outsider

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:I have been thinking about purchasing an at home NAS storage system. Nothing special, something with 2 bays so that I can use RAID 1. I want it to be fast enough to stream, back up computers, send pictures to from phones/other computers.

I was thinking about the QNAP TS-251 because of the processor and HDMI out(could come in handy). I looked into the My Cloud Mirror, but I don't like the speed or the inability to connect a device directly to it and back it up. I'd like to stay under 200 for the actual device(not including hard drives). That eliminates most 4 bay systems.

Basically...Is it worth getting a home NAS, should I go old school and use an external HD, what is are the best Hard drives?

I just read this part..

You should just get an external hard drive(maybe 2).

There is no use spending $200-$300 dollars for a 2 bay NAS. It's just not worth it, and its super easy to share files over the network across any operating system.

I'm skeptical of that specific NAS ability to do all it says it does with regards to actual features. With a NAS you are really buying a computer. In this day and age.. I'm not sure I would trust any sort of computer with software raid and streaming etc..
A Man's Part

Postby The Bad Guy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:03 pm

I'm not going to tell you which NAS device to get, there are too many out there and in my opinion it all comes down to preference. However, I will say I just recently purchased a 4 TB Western Digital My Cloud EX2. I added my 1.5 TB WD External HD through the 3.0 USB extender. After setting up the MyCloud users, I am able to access my files on the go. The downside is that you cannot "stream" media - it will download the entire file to your local device before playing.

To overcome this, I installed Plex on my NAS device. By doing this, I am able to access my movies on the go at any time. Very nice when you're on the go.
The Bad Guy

Postby EnochRoot » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:00 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:I'm not going to tell you which NAS device to get, there are too many out there and in my opinion it all comes down to preference. However, I will say I just recently purchased a 4 TB Western Digital My Cloud EX2. I added my 1.5 TB WD External HD through the 3.0 USB extender. After setting up the MyCloud users, I am able to access my files on the go. The downside is that you cannot "stream" media - it will download the entire file to your local device before playing.

To overcome this, I installed Plex on my NAS device. By doing this, I am able to access my movies on the go at any time. Very nice when you're on the go.

I've got to look into this. Is Plex on your NAS, or say, a HTPC which is left on for when Plex gets awakened when you fire up a movie away from home?
"I'd rather live with a good question than a bad answer."

Aryeh A. Frimer
EnochRoot

Postby The Bad Guy » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:04 pm

The way I have it set up, I have Plex installed on a laptop laying around the house. There are NAS out there that will let you install Plex directly on it - I know WD has some for sure - but I didn't want the NAS itself running the software. I also have about 10 users on it, if it's just for you, it probably wouldn't be an issue.
The Bad Guy

Postby EnochRoot » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:42 pm

The Bad Guy wrote:The way I have it set up, I have Plex installed on a laptop laying around the house. There are NAS out there that will let you install Plex directly on it - I know WD has some for sure - but I didn't want the NAS itself running the software. I also have about 10 users on it, if it's just for you, it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about it, but I suppose if they build server versions of operating systems, then why not a storage device?
"I'd rather live with a good question than a bad answer."

Aryeh A. Frimer
EnochRoot

Return to The Nerdery