4K Ultra HD TV

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
4K Ultra HD TV

Postby Fiasco » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:23 am

I'm in the market for an upgrade to my tv. Anyone have any experience with the 4K tvs out there? Is it worth the upgrade? The one I currently am interested in is the Vizio 4K Ultra HD Smart Tv M-series.
Fiasco

Re: 4K Ultra HD TV

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:30 am

Fiasco wrote:I'm in the market for an upgrade to my tv. Anyone have any experience with the 4K tvs out there? Is it worth the upgrade? The one I currently am interested in is the Vizio 4K Ultra HD Smart Tv M-series.

From reviews I've read, the only thing they recommend is a 50" or larger set, otherwise it's just a waste because the HD is no more noticeable than any other type on the market.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Fiasco » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:37 am

Buc2 wrote:
Fiasco wrote:I'm in the market for an upgrade to my tv. Anyone have any experience with the 4K tvs out there? Is it worth the upgrade? The one I currently am interested in is the Vizio 4K Ultra HD Smart Tv M-series.

From reviews I've read, the only thing they recommend is a 50" or larger set, otherwise it's just a waste because the HD is no more noticeable than any other type on the market.

The one I want to get is 55"
Fiasco

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:19 am

Fiasco wrote:
Buc2 wrote:

The one I want to get is 55"

Buc2 is correct. From what I've seen it isn't worth the extra $$$. Get a larger TV and newer with whatever features you like, but 4K isn't worth it IMHO.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Apparently other factors are involved as well. Such as what your set-box (Directv, cable, DVD player, etc.) is capable of delivering. Directv, for example, is expanding its 4K capability with their first 4K Ultra HD set-top box. Not sure when that will be available though. Anyway, from what I read, the newest thing in the 4K ultra HD world is HDR. Here's a good article I read the other day (I'm looking into an upgrade from my 9 year old 42" plasma) I'd recommend you read before purchasing a 4K ultra HD TV... https://www.yahoo.com/tech/are-4k-telev ... 43399.html

From the article:
The other big question is, of course, whether there’s anything worth watching in 4K. At IFA, TV vendors touted some new moves to help expand UHD and HDR content. Samsung announced that it’s working with the European pay-TV services Canal+ and Astra to launch sports UHD channels, while Sony said it’s doing the same with Amazon to bring HDR TV shows and movies to its streaming viewers.

As we saw with HDTV, we’ll know that UHD has really gotten rolling when it hits mainstream sports programming. At a press dinner here Wednesday, Panasonic government-affairs vice president Peter Fannon called the 2016 Olympics “a key goal” for UHD.

If you’ve been iffy about buying a 4K set, the addition of HDR may make this option look more interesting. But at the same time, you might want to wait until the feature becomes part of a manufacturer’s entire lineup instead of being confined to high-end models.

The prospect of UHD coming to over-the-air broadcasts — a test in Cleveland of a system that puts HD and UHD video in one signal showed promising results, including stronger indoor reception — might provide an additional reason to hold off on that TV purchase until 4K content is more readily available.

Anyway, whatever you decide, it sounds like it will an expensive option at the moment.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby The Outsider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:19 pm

4k is a waste in a TV at the moment. If we were talking desktop monitors I'd tell you to go all in.

But if you're going to buy one anyway, spend some extra money and get a decent brand. Every Vizio I've ever had was an utter piece of ****.
The Outsider

Postby Fiasco » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks Buc2, I'll probably just do a regular HD Smart TV, I needed a size upgrade and it's nice to have the built in Netflix and Amazon prime so that I can give my PS4 a rest from time to time
Fiasco

Postby Fiasco » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:07 pm

The Outsider wrote:4k is a waste in a TV at the moment. If we were talking desktop monitors I'd tell you to go all in.

But if you're going to buy one anyway, spend some extra money and get a decent brand. Every Vizio I've ever had was an utter piece of ****.

Can you elaborate on that? The reason I was gonna go with a Vizio is because I can use an extra 10% off the price with a best buy coupon they sent me. That's around $70 off. Plus my girlfriend has a Vizio and hasn't had any problem with it so far. It's been about a year now that she's had it
Fiasco

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:26 pm

The Outsider wrote:4k is a waste in a TV at the moment. If we were talking desktop monitors I'd tell you to go all in.

I love my 4K TV. Most ask if my TV's upscaled 1080P is 4k, until I show them 4k. The picture is stupid clear and feels good on the eyes.

I understand the lack of content, but everyday more content is released. I was planning to spend big on a big TV and having 4K will extend the life of it a bit.

I agree about the Vizio, they are cheap for a reason.
uscbucsfan

Postby The Outsider » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Fiasco wrote:

Can you elaborate on that? The reason I was gonna go with a Vizio is because I can use an extra 10% off the price with a best buy coupon they sent me. That's around $70 off. Plus my girlfriend has a Vizio and hasn't had any problem with it so far. It's been about a year now that she's had it

Every Vizio I've had, I bought 4 of them for my hunting camp because they were relatively cheap, had some sort of major component go bad. In contrast I own a couple Sony LED tvs and a JVC and have not had a single problem with any of them.
The Outsider

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:07 am

Buc2 wrote:

This kind of depends on how far away you are sitting.
A Man's Part

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:08 am

The Outsider wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Can you elaborate on that? The reason I was gonna go with a Vizio is because I can use an extra 10% off the price with a best buy coupon they sent me. That's around $70 off. Plus my girlfriend has a Vizio and hasn't had any problem with it so far. It's been about a year now that she's had it

Every Vizio I've had, I bought 4 of them for my hunting camp because they were relatively cheap, had some sort of major component go bad. In contrast I own a couple Sony LED tvs and a JVC and have not had a single problem with any of them.

I can't say I can relate...
A Man's Part

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:50 am

My daughter bought a 50" Vizio. It lasted less than 2 years before the picture totally went out. By contrast, I am in the 9th year with my 42" Pioneer plasma without a single issue so far. We replaced her Vizio with a Samsung...3 years and zero problems so far.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:58 pm

IMO Samsung and LG are the two best TVs now for the money. There are pros and cons to all of them. I did a lot of research on TVs before I invested in mine.

PM me if you want further details.

I've had a Vizio and it's true they do not last as long and the picture quality doesn't stack up. Not all HD or even 4K TVs are created equal.
uscbucsfan

Postby Fiasco » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:21 am

Ended up getting a LG 55" smart tv, 2015 version for $680. Everything has been really good so far, just wish the remote had the keypad in the back like vizio did. Oh well
Fiasco

Postby The Outsider » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:43 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:IMO Samsung and LG are the two best TVs now for the money. There are pros and cons to all of them. I did a lot of research on TVs before I invested in mine.

PM me if you want further details.

I've had a Vizio and it's true they do not last as long and the picture quality doesn't stack up. Not all HD or even 4K TVs are created equal.

JVC's Black Sapphire line is pretty nice. Mine is like 3 or 4 years old at this point. The nicest thing about it aside from the picture are the built in speakers. Very nice for a flat screen
The Outsider

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:59 pm

Fiasco wrote:Ended up getting a LG 55" smart tv, 2015 version for $680. Everything has been really good so far, just wish the remote had the keypad in the back like vizio did. Oh well

4K?
Phantom Phenom

Postby Fiasco » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:15 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:
Fiasco wrote:Ended up getting a LG 55" smart tv, 2015 version for $680. Everything has been really good so far, just wish the remote had the keypad in the back like vizio did. Oh well

4K?

No, regular smart tv
Fiasco

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:49 am

I got Samsung LCD and LED, now I wonder if I should do 4K next. Looks like an awesome picture, is this the way everything takes off and how long?
mdb1958

Postby Pewterslimsme » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 am

mdb1958 wrote:I got Samsung LCD and LED, now I wonder if I should do 4K next. Looks like an awesome picture, is this the way everything takes off and how long?

I did some research around Christmas on 4k and everything I read/heard was that 4k won't be so pervasive by the time you're ready for a new one to make the one you buy today obsolete. Recommendations were that unless you watch a ton of youtube 4k stuff or similar that the networks won't be broadcasting in 4k any time soon on the regular like they did when HD came out so it wasn't really worth the $ yet to go 4k.
Pewterslimsme

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 am

I can tell you that even if I had the budget to retrofit my networks into 4k, the actual vendors don't have end to end products that would allow me to. Nielsen hasn't certified anything above 1080i for watermarking. Nobody has made a compression system that would allow me to get more than 2-3 channels on a satellite transponder for distribution, which isn't nearly enough. Encapsulated video technologies will certainly help, but it's a bit in it's infancy in the broadcast world.

So the best 4K viewing you'll have is hooking up your computer to your tv and watching the small library of 4K video after you fill your hard drive at a whopping 318 GB/hr storage size.
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 pm

bucfanclw wrote:I can tell you that even if I had the budget to retrofit my networks into 4k, the actual vendors don't have end to end products that would allow me to. Nielsen hasn't certified anything above 1080i for watermarking. Nobody has made a compression system that would allow me to get more than 2-3 channels on a satellite transponder for distribution, which isn't nearly enough. Encapsulated video technologies will certainly help, but it's a bit in it's infancy in the broadcast world.

So the best 4K viewing you'll have is hooking up your computer to your tv and watching the small library of 4K video after you fill your hard drive at a whopping 318 GB/hr storage size.

Non-nerd version...

It's a waste of money. Don't buy.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Buc2 wrote:Non-nerd version...

Did you step into the wrong forum?
bucfanclw

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:20 pm

bucfanclw wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Non-nerd version...

Did you step into the wrong forum?

Ha! Good point.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby SixStringSamurai » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:07 am

Out of all the LED Tv's I have seen nothing beats the sony, and as far as that LG OLED goes...It's amazing. Has almost the blacks that the Pioneer had.
SixStringSamurai

Return to The Nerdery