Ring vs Nest vs .......

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Re: Ring vs Nest vs .......

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:59 am

I don't have smart locks, because it would be a waste of money.

We don't use our front door. We enter through the garage. Have a security system and a 70 lb Doberman.

Logically, they aren't any more safe or unsafe than someone with a traditional lock who hides their key somewhere.

You post a video of a guy using a laser to hack into one like the average criminal who is committing B&Es has that kind of skill, knowledge, or resources.

40% of B&Es are from forced entry (breaking the door, lock, window)...Smart locks aren't any more or less secure to this type of break in.

32% are from an unlocked door....

A smart lock would reduce the instances of an unlocked door, so you could argue it's safer in mitigating individual carelessness.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:15 am

So a hundred bucks is where you draw the line on wasteful spending ... not in having Alexas in every (bath)room with smart lights and switches on every device in your home.

Okay.
TheChefO

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:17 am

TheChefO wrote:So a hundred bucks is where you draw the line on wasteful spending ... not in having Alexas in every (bath)room with smart lights and switches on every device in your home.

Okay.

The Alexas serve a purpose. We use them every day for a list of things. I really don't understand your hatred of them.

I don't use door locks. I don't even carry a key with me. Why would I spend money on a smart lock?

If we were people that; let others into our house often, used the front door, used a keylock. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:25 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:...The Alexas serve a purpose....

Yes, indeed they do...
TheChefO

Postby TheChefO » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes, Alexa is recording mundane details of your life, and it’s creepy as hell

Since last year I’ve had a smart speaker in my living room—an Echo Dot. My family uses it mostly to ask Amazon’s digital assistant, Alexa, to play music. But after I saw a report that an Alexa-enabled speaker owned by a family in Portland, Oregon, had recorded a conversation and sent it to a contact, I started wondering: what is it picking up on at my house when we’re not talking to it directly?

So I checked my Alexa history (you can do that through the “settings” portion of the Amazon Alexa smartphone app) to see what kinds of things it recorded without my knowledge...

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6112 ... y-as-hell/
TheChefO

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 pm

You can turn that off in the app. Not that you would ever have the app or a smartphone...smart TV...or any connected device.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:33 am

It's funny reading your assumptions about me.

Healthy skepticism of power is taboo in some hands, but not in others.

I apply it equally across the board.

Back to something I'm sure we can agree on ... so my old Unraid server was getting to about the age of needing an upgrade and in digging around for pricing, a few interesting tidbits popped up:
Ryzen/Threadripper 1st gen is clearing out old inventory and the 12 core can be found for an unreasonably good price of around $200. In addition, Enterprise class nvme 2.5" HDDs can be found for quite a steal as well. Some in either new or barely used condition with MLC/eMLC flash. FYI.
TheChefO

Postby NYBF » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:09 pm

NYBF

Previous

Return to The Nerdery