Roku vs Fire Stick

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Roku vs Fire Stick

Postby Buc2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:10 pm

So, before I go buying a Fire Stick 4K, my question is, should I bother? My 4K TV came with Roku built-in. Wouldn't that make buying a Fire Stick unnecessary? What advantages would I get from a Fire Stick (not counting a voice-activated remote) that I don't already get with Roku? I'm speaking as a cord-cutter. I will not have satellite TV come Sept. 3rd.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Re: Roku vs Fire Stick

Postby Teitan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm

I like the Fire interface much more than what I remember Rokus being.
Teitan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:32 am

Teitan wrote:I like the Fire interface much more than what I remember Rokus being.

Same here.

I own Apple TV, Roku, and a Firestick and the Firestick has by far the best interface, easy of use, and if you use Alexa it's awesome. I can make my ring come up on my screen, baby monitor come up on my screen, etc. by just asking it to. I can also say things like, "Youtube, "x"" and Alexa will display what I asked on Youtube, but I still use Roku on my living room TV and as a 2nd input in my theater because of two major reasons: 1) Firestick doesn't have a native Vudu app. Vudu has the best 4k and largest selection outside of Apple TV. 2) The Plex has issue with 4k on Firestick and Shield.

Movies anywhere allows me to watch all my movies in one place, but to me it feels like the HDR and Atmos are not as in that app than they are in their native locations.

The Apple was my least favorite. It was a gift, but if you had everything in the Apple family or had to use the native remote (I use Harmony remotes for all devices) it would be great. I'm not all in on Apple and it just wasn't worth me keeping it running.

In summation, if you use Alexa often, the Firestick has some nice advantages with a much much more visually appealing platform. If you don't use Alexa, I don't think it's worth spending money on the 4k firestick.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:20 am

Buc2 wrote:So, before I go buying a Fire Stick 4K, my question is, should I bother? My 4K TV came with Roku built-in. Wouldn't that make buying a Fire Stick unnecessary? What advantages would I get from a Fire Stick (not counting a voice-activated remote) that I don't already get with Roku? I'm speaking as a cord-cutter. I will not have satellite TV come Sept. 3rd.

One thing I've noticed about almost every TV that had Roku "built in" or any other variant of "smart TV" is they were dog slow in comparison to "Ultra" stand alone units. Many also had a different interface.

As someone that is completely against giving these massive companies any more data than they already have, I'm steadfast against putting one of their spy boxes in my home. (Ditto smart-phone where possible)

Also, on a couple of my rokus they have voice commands and integration with Amazon, Netflix etc and also have a headphone jack on the remote which can be a nice convenience for some of us with late listening habits and/or babies.

If you buy it local, many stores have a no questions asked return policy of 14-30 days.
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Good call, guys. I got the Firestick and really like it. Also, I've been relying heavily on Troypoint website for guidance on best add-ons to download. I've been very happy so far. I did purchase a VPN after my internet provider busted me for watching Suits using a Bit Torrent add-on. Watched it again the other night with no warnings, so it seems to have worked. I was also able to watch the Bucs/Panthers game. However, the picture quality was poor.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 pm

I'd be curious how a Pi-Hole "firewall" would work with a firestick in blocking all DNS calls to amazon's servers (and anyone else you'd want blacklisted).
TheChefO

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Little late, but from everything I have seen the built in stuff to TVs don't get updated, or get updated to a certain point. So its just better to go with an external dedicated device.

I too prefer the fire TV layout than roku. I know people love roku so I got one and went right back to the fire TV. Though everyone will have different preferences.

Some free legit things you should check out:
PlutoTV
Popcorn Flix (if you have kids also PopCorn Flix kids)
Crackle
Tubi TV
IMDB (comes with your fire TV, not sure what its called now IMDB Free, IMDB Drive, IMDB ___)
Also PBS has some free stuff
PanteraCanes

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:20 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:Little late, but from everything I have seen the built in stuff to TVs don't get updated, or get updated to a certain point. So its just better to go with an external dedicated device.

I too prefer the fire TV layout than roku. I know people love roku so I got one and went right back to the fire TV. Though everyone will have different preferences.

PlutoTV
Crackle
Tubi TV
IMDB (comes with your fire TV, not sure what its called now IMDB Free, IMDB Drive, IMDB ___)

Thanks for the free recommendations.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:Little late, but from everything I have seen the built in stuff to TVs don't get updated, or get updated to a certain point. So its just better to go with an external dedicated device.

PlutoTV
Crackle
Tubi TV

Thanks. I’ll definitely check out your recommendations.

I’ve been using my Firestick for about 3 weeks and really like it. Not missing DirecTV at all and certainly not missing their bill. It’s a little more work to pull up what I want to watch sometimes (Star Trek Discovery for example), but I had zero ways to watch it before the Firestick without subscribing to CBS All Access. So it’s worth the trouble to me.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PanteraCanes » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:41 am

No problem. Hope you both find something you like. I think PlutoTV and IMDB are both pushing hard to get a large viewership. They look to be the big players in streaming for free via add support.

If you have the fire TV then you probably have prime which has a lot of shows as well. Also they do a really great job on production of their originals.
PanteraCanes

Postby Buc2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:34 pm

Something I learned today from someone in the business. Even if you have a VPN for your Firestick, it may not be encrypting your DNS. If that's the case, you should still use a DNS server. Otherwise, your ISP is still resolving the domain names you connect to. So, while they can't see the sites you connect to, they can see you're trying to connect to them. That information alone could be enough for them to decide to close your account. If you live in an area where there aren't a lot of internet provider options, that could be very bad.

Anyone here have a DNS preference? I'm reading that Cloudflare is probably the fastest free DNS.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 am

Fire stick 50 percent off

19.99 for regular

24.99 for 4k
Phantom Phenom

Return to The Nerdery