Auto Vacuum Options

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Auto Vacuum Options

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:46 am

This board really helped with the Ring .. now Mrs Croc would like to get an auto vacuum for the house due to the amount of dust and pet hair that tends to stay around.

CNET just came out with a good review for several, yet experience is always best determination

Thanks for any thoughts/ recommendations
Crocaneers

Re: Auto Vacuum Options

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:54 am

Most believe that Roomba (the king) and Neato (botvac) are the two best options here:

I have had or still own the following:

Roomba 860
Roomba 980
Roomba S9+

BotVac D80
and the BotVac D7

The Roomba S9+ is by far the best, most efficient, quietest, best in every category. It's not even close. I get perfect lines on my carpet, it gets the baseboards as well as can be expected, it auto dumps the dirt, it picks up EVERYTHING, doesn't get stuck as much (my house is pretty light, more on this later), the battery lasts the longest, the brush is BY FAR the best (rubber roller, not bristle brush-important if your wife has long hair), it works the best with Alexa, the app is the best...etc etc etc, but it's also by far the most expensive. So taking a step down...

My original Roomba 860 would just go around my house like a drunk person to try to get what it could. It lasted 5 years before I replaced the battery and then another year before I decided to upgrade. Overall a very good vacuum that you can set local schedules on, but it would miss spots, it was loud, the battery wasn't great. It was old technology.

The 980 was a massive step up. It would go in straight lines (perfectly), lasted longer, not get stuck as much (still gets stuck), quieter, would resume jobs, had mapping (but didn't save the maps). It's a really awesome overall Roomba, but you can't tell it to go just do 1 room. You have to move the base and then trap it with doors or the towers if you want to limit it. It can't see super well at night, it misses like cotton/clothing fibers in carpet, but overall I really like it. It works with Alexa, too (I believe the lowest end model that does, by maybe not?)

BotVacD80- Piece of garbage. It was a gift and broke a lot, got stuck every 5 min...sucks...

Botvac D7- I borrowed this to see if I wanted to pay a little less for a smarter, mapping option. It's got some really nice features like drawing on the map no go zones, telling it to go to rooms, good suction, good battery life, a decent filter, good sized dirt bin. I liked the square front to get into corners, works with Alexa, etc. I don't like the brushes on it for female hair/dog hair and while it performs better than the 980, it isn't close to the S9. I'm not sure how it fares vs the i7 (in between 980 and S9), but if it were me, I'd get the S9, even if you don't get the auto-empty base. The technology in the highest Roomba is just better. If you have a dark house or vacuum at night (we do when we are gone/during the day) it doesn't use a camera to vacuum, it uses IR and can see better at night. I thought the mapping, bumping system was really nice with this as it avoids hitting things more, but when the S9 learns your house it's incredible.

Overall the Roomba is the best, but only at the high end. Below the 980, I'd go with a nice Neato D5 (D7 is better than the 960 or 980). I heard the Ecovacs is really good for the lowest end (200 range), but I haven't tried it. I love the S9 and I really like the 980 (I got on black Friday sale for 50% off).
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks usc .. she's targetting Black Friday but also wanting to start looking soon in case something fires off sooner. I appreciate the insight and suggestions.
Crocaneers

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Had Neato which was very good but the Deebot from Amazon has been better than Roomba and Neato and has lasted a lot longer with the pet fur .
Jason Bourne

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:10 am

Maybe on the low end, but it doesn't compete with either in the high end tests.
uscbucsfan

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:21 am

uscbucsfan wrote:Maybe on the low end, but it doesn't compete with either in the high end tests.

The Deebot ?
Jason Bourne

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Maybe on the low end, but it doesn't compete with either in the high end tests.

The Deebot ?

Yes, the deebot. The top model scored about equal with the 900 series Roomba. There are 2 Roomba that are better/more advanced.

There have also been a lot of negative reports on the brush (which can be taken off for just suction vacuuming) and the mapping.
uscbucsfan

Postby TheChefO » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:19 am

Mine was a bit more expensive, but the upgrades were worth it to not have the dang thing need to be cleared out into the trash, running into things, getting stuck, and handles hardwood/carpet transitions like a charm.

Down side: Doesn't work well with Alexa.

Spoiler:
Or any other Woman.

Highly recommended. :P
TheChefO

Return to The Nerdery