Epyc 2.0 64 core review ... x2

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Epyc 2.0 64 core review ... x2

Postby TheChefO » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:34 am

AMD Rome Second Generation EPYC Review: 2x 64-core Benchmarked

...It is clear that the raw specifications of our new Rome CPU is some of the most impressive on the market. The question then goes to whether or not this is the the new fastest server chip on the market - a claim that AMD is putting all its weight behind. If this is the new fastest CPU on the market, the question then becomes 'by how much?', and 'how much does it cost?'.

...To put this into perspective: promising up to 2x FP performance, 2x cores, and a new process technology would have sounded so odd a few years ago. At the tail end of the Opteron days, just 4-5 years ago, Intel's best CPUs were up to three times faster. At the time, there was little to no reason whatsoever to buy a server with AMD Opterons. Two years ago, EPYC got AMD back into the server market, but although the performance per dollar ratio was a lot better than Intel's, it was not a complete victory. Not only was AMD was still trailing in database performance and AVX/FP performance, but partners and OEMs were also reluctant to partner with the company without a proven product.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14694/am ... yc-2nd-gen
TheChefO

Re: Epyc 2.0 64 core review ... x2

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:12 am

Back in the mid-90's, I entered a contest that First Union Bank was doing where they gave you $20K (pretend money, of course) for you to "buy" 3 stocks that traded on NASDAQ. It could be any 3 stocks you wanted regardless of what country the company was based so long as it traded on NASDAQ. Then, beginning on Sept. 1, the stock price was locked in. On Sept. 30th, whoever made the largest return would win a grand prize of $30K. You had time to research stocks before the contest began. Anyway, one of the stocks I picked was AMD. I remember this because of the reason I picked AMD. During my research, I read that AMD was going to announce a new chip that was supposed to be THE fastest sometime during the month of September. I figured that once the announcement was made, their stock price would jump. I was right. It jumped big time. But, unfortunately for me, the announcement was delayed until later that fall. Still, I did manage to place 3rd in the contest. However, there were no 2nd or 3rd place prizes so I got nothing.

Anyway, that story popped back to mind at the mention of AMD. :D
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby TheChefO » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:24 am

Buc2 wrote:Back in the mid-90's, I entered a contest that First Union Bank was doing where they gave you $20K (pretend money, of course) for you to "buy" 3 stocks that traded on NASDAQ. It could be any 3 stocks you wanted regardless of what country the company was based so long as it traded on NASDAQ. Then, beginning on Sept. 1, the stock price was locked in. On Sept. 30th, whoever made the largest return would win a grand prize of $30K. You had time to research stocks before the contest began. Anyway, one of the stocks I picked was AMD. I remember this because of the reason I picked AMD. During my research, I read that AMD was going to announce a new chip that was supposed to be THE fastest sometime during the month of September. I figured that once the announcement was made, their stock price would jump. I was right. It jumped big time. But, unfortunately for me, the announcement was delayed until later that fall. Still, I did manage to place 3rd in the contest. However, there were no 2nd or 3rd place prizes so I got nothing.

Nice ... yeah a few years back when AMD brought back Jim Keller to architect Zen (Ryzen), their stock was running at around $2.50/share ... I bought options that year ($3.00 strike - cost ~$0.50 each ) which expired at the end of 2016 ... There was no doubt in my mind, this would be a winner, but there were also other more immediate plays in oil which I figured still gave me time to build and reinvest back into AMD ...

By the end of the year, AMD was around 10.00/share ...

(10.00 - 3.00) / 0.50 = 14x investment

Unfortunately, the stock already started to run by the time I was ready to put back in ... current share price ~ $34.00
Last edited by TheChefO on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheChefO

Postby TheChefO » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:44 am

Speaking of... from an investment standpoint, they have a lot of room to grab Intel's share in big data:

How much of that is already priced into the stock is a bit more iffy, but the margins at the high end are astounding.
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm

TheChefO wrote:
Buc2 wrote:Back in the mid-90's, I entered a contest that First Union Bank was doing where they gave you $20K (pretend money, of course) for you to "buy" 3 stocks that traded on NASDAQ. It could be any 3 stocks you wanted regardless of what country the company was based so long as it traded on NASDAQ. Then, beginning on Sept. 1, the stock price was locked in. On Sept. 30th, whoever made the largest return would win a grand prize of $30K. You had time to research stocks before the contest began. Anyway, one of the stocks I picked was AMD. I remember this because of the reason I picked AMD. During my research, I read that AMD was going to announce a new chip that was supposed to be THE fastest sometime during the month of September. I figured that once the announcement was made, their stock price would jump. I was right. It jumped big time. But, unfortunately for me, the announcement was delayed until later that fall. Still, I did manage to place 3rd in the contest. However, there were no 2nd or 3rd place prizes so I got nothing.

Nice ... yeah a few years back when AMD brought back Jim Keller to architect Zen (Ryzen), their stock was running at around $2.50/share ... I bought options that year ($3.00 strike - cost ~$0.50 each ) which expired at the end of 2016 ... There was no doubt in my mind, this would be a winner, but there were also other more immediate plays in oil which I figured still gave me time to build and reinvest back into AMD ...

By the end of the year, AMD was around 10.00/share ...

(10.00 - 3.00) / 0.50 = 14x investment

Unfortunately, the stock already started to run by the time I was ready to put back in ... current share price ~ $34.00

It was super cheap in the 90's when I played that contest. If I hadn't been to poor to pay attention, I'd have put some money out for some of their shares.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Return to The Nerdery