Ring vs Nest vs .......

Forum for graphics and other tech topics. Discuss operating system wars. etc..
Ring vs Nest vs .......

Postby Crocaneers » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Ok .. so .. getting ready to move and getting a new house .. want to get a good video monitoring system along with some technology

GO
Crocaneers

Re: Ring vs Nest vs .......

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Ok .. so .. getting ready to move and getting a new house .. want to get a good video monitoring system along with some technology

GO

What are we talking about here? You want CCTV? Burglar, fire, and all the trimmings?

Whole home automation is a thing and if you're building new the sky's the limit.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:26 am

Good point, sorry for the quick post .. It's an existing home and more looking for "who's at the door" approach as well as some internal home detection (if we are out, checking on dog, etc). There is a lot of documentation and I need experiences and some preferences.
Crocaneers

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 am

The Nest Hello has the best features and great quality (1600 x 1200 HDR) but it's a Google owned product and doesn't work with Alexa well.

The Ring Pro has better picture quality on paper as far as total pixel count(1920 x 1080), but doesn't have HDR, so it doesn't handle the light as well. I've seen better images from the Nest, IMO, but it's close. It's probably the easiest to to use and install. It also is powered from your previous doorbell and takes about 15 min to install and set up.

The Nest Hello is $20 less than the Ring Pro.

Reoccurring cost:

Ring's monthly cost is $3 per month
Nest's monthly cost is $5 per month.

Both of these services include their alarm or other cameras. If you are using their other features, it's not a big difference.

Conclusion:

So, if you use Google Home or don't use voice assistance, go with the Nest Hello.

If you use Alexa or may want to in the future, use the Ring Pro.

My entire house is automated with Alexa so I went with the Ring. I also think Ecobee makes a better thermostat than the Nest, but that's a different automation discussion. If you are interested in automating your whole house, we can talk about that, too. I currently have the following automated:

-All TVs and surround sounds
-All lights
-Sprinkler system
-2 vacuums
-Oven
-Dishwasher
-Phone picture dump to my server
-Thermostat
-Alarm
-Doorbell
-Car
-Garage
-Fireplace

The next project will likely be the blinds, but I'm still undecided with that one.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:31 am

uscbucsfan wrote:The Nest Hello has the best features and great quality (1600 x 1200 HDR) but it's a Google owned product and doesn't work with Alexa well.

The Ring Pro has better picture quality on paper as far as total pixel count(1920 x 1080), but doesn't have HDR, so it doesn't handle the light as well. I've seen better images from the Nest, IMO, but it's close. It's probably the easiest to to use and install. It also is powered from your previous doorbell and takes about 15 min to install and set up.

The Nest Hello is $20 less than the Ring Pro.

Reoccurring cost:

Ring's monthly cost is $3 per month
Nest's monthly cost is $5 per month.

Both of these services include their alarm or other cameras. If you are using their other features, it's not a big difference.

Conclusion:

So, if you use Google Home or don't use voice assistance, go with the Nest Hello.

If you use Alexa or may want to in the future, use the Ring Pro.

My entire house is automated with Alexa so I went with the Ring. I also think Ecobee makes a better thermostat than the Nest, but that's a different automation discussion. If you are interested in automating your whole house, we can talk about that, too. I currently have the following automated:

-All TVs and surround sounds
-All lights
-Sprinkler system
-2 vacuums
-Oven
-Dishwasher
-Phone picture dump to my server
-Thermostat
-Alarm
-Doorbell
-Car
-Garage
-Fireplace

The next project will likely be the blinds, but I'm still undecided with that one.

Nice post. This is one of the biggest things I want to do when I buy a house. We currently have 2 Echos and 1 Google Home. And that's only because we got one Echo on sale, won another in a raffle, and got the Home for free for being Spotify members. I tend to like the Home a tad better.
Deuce

Postby TheChefO » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:14 pm

You guys do know there was home automation before blood sucking Google and Amazon got involved, right?

No need to let these dbags have any more access to your life than they already do.

FYI.
TheChefO

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:27 pm

TheChefO wrote:You guys do know there was home automation before blood sucking Google and Amazon got involved, right?

No need to let these dbags have any more access to your life than they already do.

FYI.

Not voice that connects to so many other devices.

There's always a risk vs. reward. To me the reward greatly outweighs the risk.
uscbucsfan

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:53 pm

Really appreciate everything here ..

One topic . .we are looking at the floodlight, 2 spot lights, and the doorbell. So I wil want to network them together. Do I need to do anything or get something or does that just happen ?

Sorry, this is actually new and exciting ..

Thanks everyone.
Crocaneers

Postby Rocker » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Really appreciate everything here ..

One topic . .we are looking at the floodlight, 2 spot lights, and the doorbell. So I wil want to network them together. Do I need to do anything or get something or does that just happen ?

Sorry, this is actually new and exciting ..

Thanks everyone.

Croc, the short answer is make sure all your equipment is compatible with the smart manager of your choice.

I’m personally partial to Google Home, because of the video/music services attached to it. Alexa is no slouch though. Do your due diligence and make your new hone awesome.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:16 am

Thanks Rocker.

We are likely keeping Alexa and factoring this into the selection
Crocaneers

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 am

Croc,

We have an Arlo baby monitor and Ring doorbell and can easily access both with our Alexa video devices. We have a spot in the bedroom and a show in the kitchen and can say, "Alexa show me the front door" or "how Baby" and they will show up.

In our theater we have a Fire TV stick for our projector and can say the same thing to have them show up in a PIP format when watching movies. You can speak to your alexa and it will play out the doorbell until you get to the door.

You can also set up routines to turn on lights when motion is detected or when someone presses the doorbell.
uscbucsfan

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:46 pm

Refurbished Ring Pro on sale right now...

https://tools.woot.com/offers/ring-video-doorbell-pro
deltbucs

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Hooked a Ring up for my mom when she bought her new house a couple of years ago and she's been happy with it.
The Outsider

Postby Babeinbucland » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:49 pm

We have Ring security at our home and our office but have Amcrest cameras. We also have a smart keypad lock on our doors that we can see when anyone arrives or leaves. We can also lock it or unlock it remotely. We are thrilled with it all. If you want to talk to the hubby who is tech master just hit me up babe :)
Babeinbucland

Postby TheChefO » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:11 am

Babeinbucland wrote:We have Ring security at our home and our office but have Amcrest cameras. We also have a smart keypad lock on our doors that we can see when anyone arrives or leaves. We can also lock it or unlock it remotely. We are thrilled with it all. If you want to talk to the hubby who is tech master just hit me up babe :)

I'm not understanding why this isn't all hooked up through your spy-channel company of choice and route it all through one single entity sharing any and everything with said spy company. Would make it much simpler for said spy company to keep complete tabs on you ... errr ... much simpler for you to keep track of it all. ;)
TheChefO

Postby NYBF » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:48 am

Hey Croc, just a heads up - Home Depot deal of the day is a sale on security cameras, in case you've made your camera choice.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 am

TheChefO wrote:You guys do know there was home automation before blood sucking Google and Amazon got involved, right?

FYI.

I used to think that, and fwiw don't like how intrusive these technologies can be. But that ship sailed with smartphones.

The convenience of home automation through a device like Google home or Alexa wasn't around to this degree before, certainly not at the current cost.

I'm not as automated as USC, but use Ring with a few cameras outside and one in our daughters room as well as have it connected to our security system, thermostat, all our lighting and fireTVs. It's a pretty nice convenience for minimal cost. I don't have to search for remotes nearly as much and turning everything off at the end of the night is a simple voice command. If my wife or I are hot/cold in the middle of the night we just tell Alexa to change the temperature. Now I just need to piss for me in the middle of night so I don't have to wake up 2-3 times. :D

In regards to the OP, USC nailed it. If you want to keep Alexa go with Ring.
DreadNaught

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 am

NYBF wrote:Hey Croc, just a heads up - Home Depot deal of the day is a sale on security cameras, in case you've made your camera choice.

We got 'em! RING wins

1 Flood
2 spot lights
1 Ring Doorbell PRO

Installation on new house in two weeks .. really appreciate the support and insight on this thread. It was the best thing I could have done in the research!
Crocaneers

Postby TheChefO » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:21 pm

...with a few cameras outside and one in our daughters room as well.

I know the intent is good, but there will come a grey moment in time ... and with all of this content accessible by California based companies and employees, there is no way I would allow such a thing.
TheChefO

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:15 pm

TheChefO wrote:
...with a few cameras outside and one in our daughters room as well.

I know the intent is good, but there will come a grey moment in time ... and with all of this content accessible by California based companies and employees, there is no way I would allow such a thing.

We get it, your scared. This isn't the thread for your fear.

Everyone in this thread is happy with automation and has accepted the potential risks.
Last edited by uscbucsfan on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uscbucsfan

Postby NYBF » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
TheChefO wrote:

We get it, your scared. This isn't the thread for your fear.

Everyone in this thread happy with automation has accepted the potential risks.

BUT WHAT ABOUT CALIFORNIA????????????
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I just take issue with having a camera in your kid's room in general, unless they've given you some sort of serious reason to need to do so.

I can't imagine having grown up with basically zero privacy. That said, I'm not in here trying to tell people how to live their lives or raise their parasites... I mean kids.
The Outsider

Postby TheChefO » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:54 am

The Outsider wrote:I just take issue with having a camera in your kid's room in general, unless they've given you some sort of serious reason to need to do so...

Agreed.

Now, for security's sake (and/or accountability/safety) at an early age, absolutely. But no reason to then have this stream through outside services (Facebook/Google/Twitter/Instagram/Amazon/California) instead of kept local (and/or direct stream).
Also opens vulnerabilities for other dbags to hack and spy on your fam.

FWIW
TheChefO

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 am

Crocaneers wrote:Ok .. so .. getting ready to move and getting a new house .. want to get a good video monitoring system along with some technology

GO

Here's another one you might want to consider...

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-HN7 ... way&sr=8-2

I'm debating between it and the Ring.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Crocaneers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:06 pm

Just got back to Florida, and checking out my front and back door in Virginia. This is the BEST investment I have ever had.

Really appreciate everyone's insight and experience. This thread could have provided the best input I have ever received!
Crocaneers

Postby TheChefO » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Buc2 wrote:

GO

Here's another one you might want to consider...

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-HN7 ... way&sr=8-2

I'm debating between it and the Ring.

I'd go for this one. At least this is not routing even more data through Google/Facebook/Amazon, etc
TheChefO

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:57 am

By the way..... if you are a Amazon Prime member...

GO

NOW .. Tuesday is 2nd prime day.
Crocaneers

Return to The Nerdery